Manchester City 1-2 West Ham Utd (19/08/15)

Relive every moment of every first team game since the beginning of the 2005/06 season. Our archive of matchday threads originally posted in the General Discussion Forum.

Moderator: Gnome

the pink palermo
Huge noggin
Has liked: 759 likes
Total likes: 2943 likes

Re: Manchester City v West Ham United: Match Thread

Post by the pink palermo »

Aceface wrote: Blimey, don't even know where to start with this.
With some honesty ?
Aceface wrote: If we're going to pretend that wasn't a little jab at Antonio
This is what I wrote - and I notice you and one other poster who had a dig have both failed to use the quote :

Postby the pink palermo on Sun Sep 20, 2015 10:58 am

I don't think Jelavic worked nearly hard enough when he came on and as for Antonio, well, I'm not entirely sure what we've bought .In fairness having to come on yesterday wasn't the easiest situation .Hopefully he'll settle and we'll see what he can do
Aceface wrote:
- I think I know what it was,
No, I would suggest you decided what it was without thinking about it .
Aceface wrote: you know what it was,
Yes, a balanced comment based upon what I watched on Saturday .
Aceface wrote: everyone knows what it was
That's quite a skill you have there .
Aceface wrote: - then we'll just have to say I got it wrong
Yes, you did .
Aceface wrote: and that you aren't included in the small group of people who've commented since fulltime on Saturday that he looked a bit meh.
If I had wanted to say he was **** I would have done so .
Aceface wrote: Or we can say that forming any kind of opinion at all of a PL debutant playing 20 minutes under the biggest onslaught the club has faced since around the time the Emirates opened is ludicrous,
Really ? So you wouldn't think to form an opinion based upon a players physique, touch or pace appropriate - nothing to do with his contribution to the game by the way , just the factors that are unique to him .

What I saw and why I commented "I'm not entirely sure what we've bought" was related to his physique more than anything : He looked huge to me , looked to have some pace when he got a head of steam up albeit didn't look that quick off the mark .Those are things a poster can comment on quite legitimately regardless of the game situation .

Can you honestly say you've never watched a player for a few minutes and said " he looks like he has a good touch" ? If so, why would someone not be allowed to comment on a player and say "he looks like he has a poor first touch" .
woodford
Has liked: 412 likes
Total likes: 302 likes

Post by woodford »

my memory of the game is a bit hazy due to the euphoria

Correct me if im wrong but they didnt really have much in the way of clear goal scoring opportunities against us.

I know we were getting totally battered but there wasnt any one on ones or terrible misses on their part.

Its not like they couldve scored 4 but only got one. The save from Adrian was one thing i suppose but i cant remember thinking they shouldve had the ball in our net at any particular point. Was i just pissed ? :?

Our defending was outstanding.
Kendal Iron
Has liked: 47 likes

Post by Kendal Iron »

woodford wrote:Correct me if im wrong but they didnt really have much in the way of clear goal scoring opportunities against us.

I know we were getting totally battered but there wasnt any one on ones or terrible misses on their part.

Its not like they couldve scored 4 but only got one. The save from Adrian was one thing i suppose but i cant remember thinking they shouldve had the ball in our net at any particular point. Was i just pissed ? :?

Our defending was outstanding.
That's pretty much how I saw it, Adrian made a few good saves but it wasn't save after save like Rob Green in that game at the Emirates & it wasn't like City missed a hatful of easy chances
ryanrc

Post by ryanrc »

Yabish wrote:So glad we have him over Benitez, Emery and Bielsa he seems a perfect match for us.
Only one of which is having a decent season so far.

I really wanted Emery and really didn't want Bilic. My words are being rammed down my throat and I like it, I hope it continues.
Aceface
Has liked: 358 likes
Total likes: 1446 likes

Post by Aceface »

the pink palermo wrote: What I saw and why I commented "I'm not entirely sure what we've bought" was related to his physique more than anything : He looked huge to me , looked to have some pace when he got a head of steam up albeit didn't look that quick off the mark .
Ok pinky.
hammerleroy

Post by hammerleroy »

Brilliant pic Paddy O'Hammer, of course the dopey blonde doris in the shades to the left of Citeh no 20 didn't see it, too busy playing with her phone!!! Well I hope she saw it on MOD!!! :scarfer:
Ding
Has liked: 144 likes
Total likes: 509 likes

Post by Ding »

woodford wrote:The save from Adrian was one thing i suppose but i cant remember thinking they shouldve had the ball in our net at any particular point. Was i just pissed ?
Toure got clear once at the right edge of our box and put it narrowly wide. Aguero slipped when he was put through in the first half following a screw up in our defence. He also put it wide having rounded Adrian on another occasion although we had two covering the open goal. Pellegrini wasn't making excuses - if they had their shooting boots on they could have hurt us. Slaven wasn't wrong either - we rode our luck a little, but you can't play a side like Man City without conceding chances.

Of course, we also missed a couple of very good chances ourselves.

Overall, we earned it.
the pink palermo
Huge noggin
Has liked: 759 likes
Total likes: 2943 likes

Post by the pink palermo »

Aceface wrote:Ok pinky.
Seriously, I've no idea what we've bought .

Reading the welcome thread for him WLP seems to think he's a straight down the middle guy , Saturday he was played on the flank .

I can well imagine Championship CB's being **** scared when he runs at them , he's ****ing huge , whether or not he has the finesse to work a flank and deliver a cross into the box, picking out a man, I have no idea , maybe he's been bought to cut in and have a shot rather than deliver a cross .

He was the only player on Saturday who didn't look small compared with YaYa .That's how big he is .
Ding
Has liked: 144 likes
Total likes: 509 likes

Post by Ding »

the pink palermo wrote:
Seriously, I've no idea what we've bought .
He was the only player on Saturday who didn't look small compared with YaYa .That's how big he is .
I kinda see what you meant there, Pink. He showed a few heavy touches and doesn't seem to have the quick feet and control of the likes of Lanzini and Payet. If anything, he is probably gonna be more direct than any of them - a sort of big unit tank leaving a trail of debris in his wake - more Jonah Lomu than Victor Moses. For the counter attacking side of our game, perhaps that's not a bad weapon to have.
funky chicken
Has liked: 320 likes
Total likes: 1232 likes

Post by funky chicken »

the pink palermo wrote:What I saw and why I commented "I'm not entirely sure what we've bought" was related to his physique more than anything : He looked huge to me , looked to have some pace when he got a head of steam up albeit didn't look that quick off the mark .Those are things a poster can comment on quite legitimately regardless of the game situation .

Can you honestly say you've never watched a player for a few minutes and said " he looks like he has a good touch" ? If so, why would someone not be allowed to comment on a player and say "he looks like he has a poor first touch" .
Just ignore them TPP. You shouldn't have to explain yourself. I understood what you meant perfectly well and I actually agree with what you said. You're probably one of the only users on here that actually speaks any sense. :thup:

It really does annoy me when fans think they can be optimistic after a poor performance/result and when we win it's not ok to mention 1, or 2 slight negatives. It's a forum. Everyone is allowed to express an opinion. If Antonio was only on for 5 minutes then fair enough. But he was on long enough to settle in and I didn't think he was particulary great. If anything he weakned us, as Moses was at least holding onto the ball and helping us defensively. It didn't matter in the end as we held on for the win. But like other fans I will give Antonio time and I am sure over time he will settle and we will hopefully see the player we all saw at Forest. It's a shame he's cup tied in the Capital One Cup actually, as that would've been a perfect game for him to start in. Especially as it's againt a Premier League club.

Great result on Saturday. The fans were as good as ever. And for the first time in a very long time I thought the ref had a very good game. He didn't really make any mistakes and was fair throughout the game. Even the debatable corner that led to our goal wasn't his fault. That was down to the lino who wasn't even up with play.

Now lets start our run to Wembley with hopefully a win tomorrow against Leicester!
Mr.Miklosko

Post by Mr.Miklosko »

I thought Jelavic done a really good job when he came on. Decent link-up play on the break with Sakho and he won us some really important fouls. Good start :thup:
Up the Junction
Thinks he owns the place
Has liked: 748 likes
Total likes: 3446 likes

Post by Up the Junction »

The opposition view: Manchester City
http://www.kumb.com/story.php?id=129044
Duff
Has liked: 3 likes
Total likes: 6 likes

Post by Duff »

Mr.Miklosko wrote:I thought Jelavic done a really good job when he came on. Decent link-up play on the break with Sakho and he won us some really important fouls. Good start :thup:
Agree with this, was very professional with some of the fouls he won giving us some much needed breathers and was working his socks off getting up and down to help the team. Apart from taking his chance not much more he could have done.
Cockneyboy311
Has liked: 541 likes
Total likes: 416 likes

Post by Cockneyboy311 »

Mr.Miklosko wrote:I thought Jelavic done a really good job when he came on. Decent link-up play on the break with Sakho and he won us some really important fouls. Good start :thup:

I nearly ways spoke up for Big Sam but could you imagine him not bringing Carroll on in that game? It amazed me that he didn't leave the bench (rightly so though) so fair play Slav.
btajim - mcfc
There when they were sh*t
Has liked: 72 likes
Total likes: 440 likes

Post by btajim - mcfc »

Up the Junction wrote:The opposition view: Manchester City
An interesting read!

Have you ever considered interviewing an opposition fan before each home match? Bluemoon does it and I myself was interviewed for a QPR site last season. If it's a good piece then it generally provokes a good debate.
Up the Junction
Thinks he owns the place
Has liked: 748 likes
Total likes: 3446 likes

Post by Up the Junction »

Used to do it Jim, but after a couple of years it got a bit stale.
swash
Has liked: 140 likes
Total likes: 188 likes

Post by swash »

Up the Junction wrote:The opposition view: Manchester City
Plenty of moaning about us supposedly feigning injury and timewasting, presumably didn't see Aguero going down in the box courtesy of the invisible sniper on more than one occasion
Aceface
Has liked: 358 likes
Total likes: 1446 likes

Post by Aceface »

swash wrote: Didn't see Aguero going down in the box courtesy of the invisible sniper on more than one occasion
Generally speaking, he's not a diver.

The only outrageous flop looked to be from Kolarov. Could have received a booking for it on another day.
Romford
Big X

Post by Romford »

Good piece that hits the mark....:

http://www.football365.com/news/premier ... s-losers-2" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Bamber Gascoigne
Has liked: 107 likes
Total likes: 40 likes

Post by Bamber Gascoigne »

Romford wrote:Good piece that hits the mark....:

http://www.football365.com/news/premier ... s-losers-2" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
:thup: