COC2: Leicester City 2-1 West Ham Utd (22/09/15)

Relive every moment of every first team game since the beginning of the 2005/06 season. Our archive of matchday threads originally posted in the General Discussion Forum.

Moderator: Gnome

Colours never run
Location: "Be in no doubt, we are part of the most successful stadium migration in history"
Has liked: 6811 likes
Total likes: 2363 likes

Re: Leicester City v West Ham Utd: match thread

Post by Colours never run »

I can't emphasise the importance of how much Saturday's exertions had on the team, having to then do it again away from home a couple of days later.

I think Bilic missed a trick not resting a few more after the amount of work many of the same players got through against City. He needed to freshen it up more and was surprised to see pretty much the same team selected. If ever there was a game to blood the likes of Cullen, Oxford it was this game with no pressure having energy to burn. As it was a much fresher side who changed the majority of their side at home won at the death in extra time.

The fault lies at Bilics door not the players on this occasion. Not that I'm particularly fussed with how well we're doing in the League so hopefully no lasting damage.
kalashnikov

Post by kalashnikov »

Johnny Byrne's Boots wrote:I haven't read through the whole thread so this may have already been mentioned.

Leicester beat us last night using pretty much the same system as they used to win at the Boleyn earlier, namely keep their defensive discipline, soak up the pressure and take their chances. The thing is they did it last night with a completely different team, which leads me to believe it's the system that's effective against us rather then the individuals, something that won't have escaped the attention of fellow aspiring top half teams. They did to us what we did to City.

I hope Slav has spent today with his claret and blue Subbuteo players and a copy of Football Manager working out a solution.
Good post. Absolutely.

It is something we are going to have to learn to deal with. Its not simply a matter of saying, oh we're going to give them the ball and counter attack home and away. Problem solved.

How many top 4 clubs can you name who have played a counter attacking system for the majority of a seasons matches? There is a reason they don't. They can't if the other team is unwilling to dominate possession.
Iron-worx

Post by Iron-worx »

I've thought for a long while about the reality of this.

Firstly we were a long way from the first choice eleven. Ogbonna injured was one. Reid rested was two. Kouyate rested was three. Payet rested was four and Sakho rested was five - That's half a team.

Add to this Carroll starting for the first time in months, he looked rusty which was inevitable.

Our passing game looked impressive for long periods earlier in the game, but by and large it got nowhere. We've seen this umpteen times from teams visiting the Boleyn, if you play that game then to penetrate you need the quick give and go, sudden reverse pass, burst of rapid one touch play, but we did none of that. We rarely threatened.

To rub of the green. We didn't get it with their first goal, a clearance cannoned as the perfect pass to Dodoo, you can't legislate for things like that.

Noble went on a run into their box that invited a foul, nothing wrong with inviting a foul that's a fair tactic as you can't force the foul to come you can only invite it. The foul did come and it was a clear cut penalty but the ref booked Noble for simulation. You can't legislate for bad decisions like that either.

We could play that game again on another occasion and the clearance cannons away as it's more likely to, the penalty is given as it should be and we win 2-1
Colours never run
Location: "Be in no doubt, we are part of the most successful stadium migration in history"
Has liked: 6811 likes
Total likes: 2363 likes

Post by Colours never run »

Agree with all that Ironworx, apart from the Ogbonna bit - he doesn't get a look in with Tomkins and Reid fit for me. Unless you play Tomkins permanently at right back, which I only like as a backup plan.
Crossd_Hammrs
Has liked: 364 likes
Total likes: 209 likes

Post by Crossd_Hammrs »

Does anyone have a link to highlights that include the two earlier penalty appeals?