COC2: Leicester City 2-1 West Ham Utd (22/09/15)

Relive every moment of every first team game since the beginning of the 2005/06 season. Our archive of matchday threads originally posted in the General Discussion Forum.

Moderator: Gnome

frankiemac

Re: Leicester City v West Ham Utd: match thread

Post by frankiemac »

mumbles87 wrote:on the balance Leicester deserved to win.

Hard to take though with at least one clear pen denied and then the winning goal was 1 yard offside

poor officiating
was it offside?

it seemed on the night that we were turned down for at least 3 pens as well

such a shame we didn't put away our chance just before their goal, otherwise the tone would be so different today

I think the boys busted a gut last night...i'm not too concerned, the future is so bright...just a shame as we could use this cup to play the boys who wont get a regular match, we have a job keeping everyone happy now!
kalashnikov

Post by kalashnikov »

Colours never run wrote:Whilst I'll agree with you entirely about us trying not to make so many unforced errors in the team, I don't however subscribe to the idea we should be trying to dominate possession...
I agree with almost all of this. The issue I have is that I don't think we'll have a choice but to dominate possession vs some teams (at home vs the bottom half). There will be 6-9 teams who this season will be very happy to sit in their own half and play for a point.

What happens if a team does that and we do similar? Will the crowd stand for it if we get the ball then don't use it? Maybe, I'm not sure.
Hammersfaniow
Has liked: 7 likes
Total likes: 33 likes

Post by Hammersfaniow »

Thought we did ok last night, obviously the team that was selected showed we wanted to win the game. Three of the back four looked exhausted though, along with Nobes and Moses, can't really blame them after the way bodies were put on the line on Saturday. Good to see AC get some game time, we rode our luck in the second half, Adrian had a great game, and we just lost to a side that played better than us. We had 61% of possession but they had double the amount of shots and almost three times as many on target. Still buzzing after the win at Citeh though and glad we put in a shift in that game rather than the other way round. Here's looking forward to spanking Norwich on Saturday
AlfieG
Has liked: 1 like
Total likes: 4 likes

Post by AlfieG »

A bit too much disrespect of last nights opposition from some, for my liking....

Lets not forget, they are one of the form teams in the league and have beaten us twice in a few weeks....

So, We need to win Sat and carry onwards and upwards.

:crest:
LincolnshireHammer
Has liked: 8 likes
Total likes: 46 likes

Post by LincolnshireHammer »

Little disappointed after last night I must say. But this has probably been one of the most grounded match threads I have seen on here for sometime. It's refreshing to see no knee jerk reactions and so on.

A lot of players looked leggy last night and that worries me for Saturday as Norwich will be fresh. Id rather have gone out in 90 mins than play out the extra half an hour. I hope Payet's legs aren't too dead, we're going to need him this weekend.

Adrian, magnificent last night. Shout outs to Zarate and Lanzini too who both had good games.

Onwards and upwards
Clacton-ammer
Sultan of Swing
Has liked: 338 likes
Total likes: 357 likes

Post by Clacton-ammer »

Yep, gutted as well, Bilic went for it and that I applaud him for that. Onwards and upwards for Saturday, keep being positive, get us in a healthy/great position in the PL come January and then go for the FA cup.
DODGYDAL

Post by DODGYDAL »

LincolnshireHammer wrote:Little disappointed after last night I must say. But this has probably been one of the most grounded match threads I have seen on here for sometime. It's refreshing to see no knee jerk reactions and so on.

A lot of players looked leggy last night and that worries me for Saturday as Norwich will be fresh. Id rather have gone out in 90 mins than play out the extra half an hour. I hope Payet's legs aren't too dead, we're going to need him this weekend.

Adrian, magnificent last night. Shout outs to Zarate and Lanzini too who both had good games.

Onwards and upwards
Norwich play tonight tho so may not be.
Ding
Has liked: 144 likes
Total likes: 511 likes

Post by Ding »

Lanzini looked like a real revelation again before he ran out of gas. Liking him more and more. A bright spot in a disappointing night.
Believer
Has liked: 1421 likes
Total likes: 758 likes

Post by Believer »

We are 5 or 6 weeks into the season. If players are over tired after 3 games in 8 days then that IMO doesn't show them in a good light. If, as some are suggesting on here, we are aiming for top 4, then that would become the norm. Top players, successful players can play 3 games a week.
Nick Sneddon
Total likes: 20 likes

Post by Nick Sneddon »

LincolnshireHammer wrote:A lot of players looked leggy last night and that worries me for Saturday as Norwich will be fresh
They play tonight
sendô
Location: rubbing my eyes in disbelief - we've won a European trophy!
Has liked: 2475 likes
Total likes: 2698 likes

Post by sendô »

The Moses one looked as clear a pen as you're likely to see.

Disappointing that we failed to win despite playing a strong team, and Leicester making 10 changes.
LincolnshireHammer
Has liked: 8 likes
Total likes: 46 likes

Post by LincolnshireHammer »

Thanks fellas, that's good news for us if Norwich decide to play a strong side.

Well done to the 2,200 travelling supporters last night, more than I expected. :crest:
WH_Olympic
Has liked: 15 likes
Total likes: 35 likes

Post by WH_Olympic »

Absolutely no shame in losing to a better team when you've put as much effort in as the boys did last night.
C'est la vie.
Aceface
Has liked: 373 likes
Total likes: 1470 likes

Post by Aceface »

After Norwich and Sunderland, there's another two week break - I'm sure that came into the thinking when it came to player workload. It's not like Christmas time when you have a game every couple of days for weeks on end.

Strange game in a number of ways - loads of chances yet actually quite boring, and Leicester were unquestionably the dominant team but should have lost comfortably if the officials weren't below par. That Noble simulation booking was a disgrace. God knows what Noble has done to irritate the country's officials this season but he's getting a rough time of it.

I'm not entirely sure what Jenkinson is "for" at the moment. A human back-pass machine. Not sure playing Tomkins there even means we lose anything on the attacking side currently. If anything you get an added goal threat at corners from having Tomkins lurking at the back post.
smuts
Has liked: 1532 likes
Total likes: 1489 likes

Post by smuts »

WH_Olympic wrote:Absolutely no shame in losing to a better team when you've put as much effort in as the boys did last night.
C'est la vie.
I wouldn't say with the changes they made that they were a better team. How many of their side would you swap for ours?
Harry Hound
Location: "If you don't know the game, then you're still part of it"
Has liked: 67 likes
Total likes: 10 likes

Post by Harry Hound »

I know this changes nothing but are there any photos of this "offside" goal? I didn't see it was offside as I just felt a real sense of disapointment when it went in as never mind how many goal opportunites they had they never looked like scoring and the ref. was dire. Not only did he refuse 3 justifiable penalty calls but he also stopped play for a number of fouls where it was better to play the advantage as Moses ran through the challenge and could have been on goal.
a86

Post by a86 »

frankiemac wrote:was it offside?
The goal was blatantly offside! left fuming last night as again we've bowed of a cup competition we had a decent chance of winning.

2 clear cut penalties we should of got and Danny Simpson escaped being sent off both times. first one was Moses in second half and Noble in extra time where he got booked for diving... shambles! the referee needs shooting!

However I felt that Leicester DID apply more pressure and if it wasn't for Adrian we wouldn't of even made it to extra time. also what on earth is going on with Obiang??? completely out of his depth passing and defensive clearing, he wont be starting against Norwich at the weekend after that. I haven't been convinced by him after the past few games, even at man city he lost possession so many times and doesn't look like a habit he can shake off. Bring Back Oxford!

on the bright side... Carroll got a good match fitness performance, Zarate and Kouyate fit again, Song back soon and Valencia back in 4 weeks, Jelavic, Sakho and Antonio back at the weekend. COYI :scarfer:
Last edited by Up the Junction on Wed Sep 23, 2015 10:24 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: Large quotes removed.
bubbles1966
Location: I'm holding onto nothing, and trying to forget the rest
Has liked: 2480 likes
Total likes: 4377 likes

Post by bubbles1966 »

Worth remembering that Ulloa and Kramaric - their reserves - cost about £16m, while Gokhan Inler has had a very illustrious career.

Problem to me, similar to April's away game up there, was that we absolutely dominated possession for large chunks of the first half especially, yet didn't achieve very much with it.

Also, six forwards in our squad - two cup tied, two injured and two returning from injury, one of them long term.

Leicester are clearly a decent team at the moment, though the second goal looked a mile offside.
Bubbles & Squeaks 77

Post by Bubbles & Squeaks 77 »

Stood in front of two blokes who did nothing but criticise us for the entire 2nd half.
Why do people go to football to just moan repetitively? Every mistake a player made was criticised. Anything a player should have done in their eyes was criticised. :x

Anyway, on the whole, personally I think Leicester deserved it.
Was one of those games that it could have gone either way but Leicester did create a few more chances and Adrian was immense yesterday, especially making himself big for a huge one on one.
When Reid came on I just got a feeling in my bones it wouldn't go to penalties and they'd snatch it.

Thought we had two bonafide penalty shouts but not seen any highlights to clarify this.

I hated that poxy drum and those horrible cardboardy things they were clapping with as well. Urgh!

We'll get them next time.

COYI
jacko
Has liked: 61 likes
Total likes: 154 likes

Post by jacko »

Early goal really is a killer.