West Ham Utd 2-2 Norwich City (26/09/15)

Relive every moment of every first team game since the beginning of the 2005/06 season. Our archive of matchday threads originally posted in the General Discussion Forum.

Moderator: Gnome

F.U.B.A.R.

Re: West Ham United V Norwich City: Match thread

Post by F.U.B.A.R. »

Went to the game..

We weren't great, not helped by the give away 1st which seemed to fill them with confidence and dent ours..

Rode our luck and nicked an equaliser, but the tension never seemed to lift..

Was hoping to really have ago in the 2nd but Norwich did a good job all game of keeping the ball away from us, it meant we could never really gather up steam. Maybe we were a bit leggy after midweek exertions..

Chances for either side and Norwich's best spell in the half resulted in another goal, but we responded well enough and had chances.. The equaliser was deserved..

As I said we weren't great but I was entertained.. And the equaliser at the end meant I left happy.. (Feel sorry for the those that left early and missed it)..
Kludgehammer
Has liked: 170 likes
Total likes: 200 likes

Post by Kludgehammer »

nickkarkie wrote:When I watch us at home here is what I see...
There is quite simply nobody marshaling the space between defence and midfield, the most important position on the pitch, your deep lying player must at all times occupy that space, his job is to break up play and stop counters when defending but when attacking that player must also not play a big part in your attacks, he is there simply to get the ball and get the team moving forward with a good range of passing.

Now we are playing noble there, he drifts near to Cresswell to get the ball, likes to play one two etc and generally wants to be a creative force, he simply can't be doing that in that role.
This x1000! I've been banging on for the last year about giving space away to the opposition in front of our defence - we are terrible at picking up players there. The holding 2 seem to get dragged wide and separate, leaving a giant hole in the middle for Hoolahan etc to run riot in.
Crouchend_Hammer
Has liked: 137 likes
Total likes: 2356 likes

Post by Crouchend_Hammer »

Which is why Obiang needs to play DM with Noble further forward and then play two of kouyate, moses and lanzini at home dependant on opposition
Discobar

Post by Discobar »

Felt we played way too deep in the second half. I also found the Moses to Obiang substitution very strange, surely Antonio would have been a better choice at that time.

I never normally have a bad word to say about Noble but he was shocking yesterday, and I feel Jenkinson looks half the player of last season. Pleased we did not sign him on a permanent deal.

I`ll take the point with a last minute goal, but in my mind its another 2 points dropped at home.
Discobar

Post by Discobar »

irving boleyn wrote:We have a batch of midfielders who have different qualities and different failings. Bilic is still experimenting with the best line up and it is expected that our form should be patchy.

Two more assists by Payet yesterday. Hope he stays well and we keep him happy..
The second was an Andy Carroll assist
F.U.B.A.R.

Post by F.U.B.A.R. »

Discobar wrote:Felt we played way too deep in the second half. I also found the Moses to Obiang substitution very strange, surely Antonio would have been a better choice at that time.

I never normally have a bad word to say about Noble but he was shocking yesterday, and I feel Jenkinson looks half the player of last season. Pleased we did not sign him on a permanent deal.

I`ll take the point with a last minute goal, but in my mind its another 2 points dropped at home.
See post a few above yours (not from me), We had no one in the space between defence and midfield, and Howson was having a field day in there..

Norwich appeared to counter our change to Obiang by bringing Redmond on and going for more width..
Georgee Paris
Location: The Amazing Adventures of Wicked Willy & Fearless Steve
Has liked: 496 likes
Total likes: 1038 likes

Post by Georgee Paris »

I know we've had the argument before and it is everyone's right to leave whenever but those huffing and puffing and leaving as soon as we went 2-1 down and complaining about it being **** and atmosphere **** and the players **** and the managers ****...believe me there was loads in the tbl...I laughed at the thought of you cursing even more at the sound of the cheer when we equalised.
w4hammer
Location: ..my heart says... West Ham.. my head says ...West Ham
Has liked: 1 like
Total likes: 3 likes

Post by w4hammer »

any highlights anywhere lads- was away for the match./!

cheers
scatts
Has liked: 68 likes
Total likes: 72 likes

Post by scatts »

I can only go by commentators as I wasn't there but if you believe them we could learn something about getting behind the team from the Leicester fans. Their fans were very positively spoken of and ours not so much.

And FFS try to avoid "so go support Leister then :thdn: "
w4hammer

Post by w4hammer »

scatts wrote:
BBC

"West Ham players have made four errors leading to goals in the Premier League this season; more than any other club."

Noble, Noble, Noble &
well if you take out the horror show that was bournemouth, where 4 goals were split between cresswell and jenks

and leicester, which cressweel was at fault for, we've been pretty good in other matches!

Since when did we become 100% nil error/ playstation perfection?

cant understand how short peoples memories are here nowadays
Yea Why Not
Location: Chips & Gravy you say? Well you can shove that up your ass

Post by Yea Why Not »

w4hammer wrote:any highlights anywhere lads- was away for the match./!

cheers
Here you go.. https://www.dreamteamfc.com/c/west-ham- ... ighlights/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
pablo jaye
Has liked: 2563 likes
Total likes: 926 likes

Post by pablo jaye »

The point that I really want answering after yesterday's performance, is .... just how did the pigeon end up on the pitch? And did it survive as it looked pretty motionless for the rest of the game from where we were sitting in the top corner of BMU.

It was funny watching both sets of players stood round it like kids in a school playground not wanting to get too close to it in case they caught 'the dreaded lurgy!!!'
arlhe
Has liked: 235 likes
Total likes: 178 likes

Post by arlhe »

According to 'Goals on Sunday', the pigeon made a complete recovery.

I still enjoyed the game. Good luck with expecting perfect performances every week.
Adam 'The Smudge'

Post by Adam 'The Smudge' »

Discobar wrote:Felt we played way too deep in the second half. I also found the Moses to Obiang substitution very strange, surely Antonio would have been a better choice at that time.

Every word. :thup:
giantsteps

Post by giantsteps »

Agree about Jenkinson having a mare yesterday, he looks half the player he was last season. Maybe it's the new system, but when it comes to actually defending he's not doing the business. His crossing is also pretty poor, I'll feel a lot more comfortable playing Tomkins there when Ogbonna becomes available again.

I thought we'd have a proper crack at them in the second half but alas not. We seem to be playing counter-attacking football at home now, against the big teams away then fine but I was hoping we'd put them under the kosh a bit in that second half. We really should be attacking the Norwichs and the Bournemouths of this world a lot more.

We definitely got let off the hook.
Kubrickhammer

Post by Kubrickhammer »

We HAVE to start home games with more intensity, just too lacklustre and pedestrian. I think that with this team and current set-up once we've got a lead (home or away) we're rarely going to lose that lead, especially against the likes of Norwich.

See the Newcastle game for example. If we get that early goal, the players will relax, even if the opposing team put us under lots of pressure and press high, because we've got the counterattacking ability to hit them on the break and get another. The problem is, we start off slowly and the players get a bit too nervous and cautious, which both increases the chances of individual mistakes and also spurns on the opposition. Leicester, Bournemouth and Norwich are good sides, but not sides who we should be conceding more than one goal to, let alone not ourscoring with the attacking talent at our disposal.

It's reassuring knowing we have a tactically astute manager who will undoubtedly be aware of all this, but it's worrying that his messages (if indeed he is sending them out) are not getting to some of our players.
w4hammer

Post by w4hammer »

cheers for the link whynot!

their second goal- how the f*** have we dropped off so far that everyone is in the box?!
HammerMan2004
Has liked: 500 likes
Total likes: 1275 likes

Post by HammerMan2004 »

w4hammer wrote:cheers for the link whynot!

their second goal- how the **** have we dropped off so far that everyone is in the box?!
We were defending a corner...
irving boleyn
Has liked: 61 likes
Total likes: 82 likes

Post by irving boleyn »

Kubrickhammer wrote:We HAVE to start home games with more intensity, just too lacklustre and pedestrian.
I believe we had 3 or 4 corners in the first three minutes of play.
Me ol china

Post by Me ol china »

irving boleyn wrote:We have a batch of midfielders who have different qualities and different failings. Bilic is still experimenting with the best line up and it is expected that our form should be patchy.

Two more assists by Payet yesterday. Hope he stays well and we keep him happy..
Discobar wrote:The second was an Andy Carroll assist
Carroll done well to make a nuisance of himself but that goal was all about the cross in, quality ball as was his cross for the first

He has played better for us this season but both our goals were down to him & he created 8 chances which is the most in any game so far this season the fella is magic