Crystal Palace 1-3 West Ham Utd (17/10/15)

Relive every moment of every first team game since the beginning of the 2005/06 season. Our archive of matchday threads originally posted in the General Discussion Forum.

Moderator: Gnome

John Simkin
Has liked: 96 likes
Total likes: 54 likes

Damien Delaney on West Ham

Post by John Simkin »

After the match the media concentrated on the fact that Crystal Palace had ten men for the whole of the second-half and ignoring the fact that West Ham clearly outplayed the opposition before Gayle was sent off. However, as Damien Delaney, pointed out, West Ham were the best team that Palace had played so far this season. I am sure that players from Arsenal, Manchester City and Liverpool might have said the same thing.
Henry Wilt

Re: Crystal Palace vs West Ham Utd: match thread

Post by Henry Wilt »

I can't help but keep watching Payet's goal again and again. The through ball from Lanzini was inch perfect and the way Payet took it made it look so easy but in fact he had already sold Hennessy with the dummy before he actually chipped it. (I do feel a little sorry for Hennessey as it looks on first glance he has just committed way too early). And this from a player who was not having a great game by the standard he has set so far this season!!!
I bet if it had been from one of the more expensive/big name strikers in the league, that goal would be being shown and talked about non stop in the press.
irving boleyn
Has liked: 63 likes
Total likes: 83 likes

Post by irving boleyn »

There was also such a lot to celebrate about our first goal...

Payet finding the best positioned attacker..

Moses making the best pass since joining us..

Jenks committed anticipatory run to get on the end of it, and finish like, well, like Payet !
Colours never run
Location: "Be in no doubt, we are part of the most successful stadium migration in history"
Has liked: 6762 likes
Total likes: 2354 likes

Post by Colours never run »

I also thought the first goal was quality. The passing was quick, incisive with clinical finishing on the end of it. From our right back.
Stratford Hammer
Has liked: 17 likes
Total likes: 3 likes

Post by Stratford Hammer »

He was composed yet took the shot early, lovely stuff.
the pink palermo
Huge noggin
Has liked: 799 likes
Total likes: 3012 likes

Post by the pink palermo »

Zaha switched off completely for Jenks goal, basically a gift - that is not to belittle the pass made by Moses or the run made by Jenks, but if you are Alan Pardew that's what you would be saying to Zaha .

For their second, Jedinak tracked his man to the penalty spot......and stopped .Much as Reece Oxford did in his second game when we conceded .Pardew would give Jedinak a roasting for that I am sure .

Both of those goals on Saturday owed as much to opposition errors by individuals as it did to good play by us .
Clacton-ammer
Sultan of Swing
Has liked: 338 likes
Total likes: 357 likes

Post by Clacton-ammer »

Pinky, apart from a worldy outside the box 95% of goals you could argue the defence should have done better in any given situation - that's football. It's about the craft of your team exploiting those situations.
irving boleyn
Has liked: 63 likes
Total likes: 83 likes

Post by irving boleyn »

Jenk's goal "basically a gift" ??

You are hard to please Mr.Palermo !
Romford
Big X

Post by Romford »

A much overlooked fact about Saturday....Palace had one shot on goal which was the pen.

I keep reading we were lucky :asleep:
The Gibbins
Maggot infested twat
Total likes: 10 likes

Post by The Gibbins »

I wouldn't say the goals were gifts. The first was good football and using the right back as we should in a narrow system, that was the game plan working to a tee. Payet and Moses dragged their players out of position and Jenkinson exposed them with a good run.
The second was after a constant barrage and the first time we used some width and put a good cross in to AC. The goal was coming, it was so good to see a West Ham side all out for the win, constant bombardment and several attacking players on the pitch looking for 3 points.

It can be hard against 10 men, Palace stuck two banks of four in front of their area and i think we did really well to break that down.
Mr_Andersonn

Post by Mr_Andersonn »

the pink palermo wrote: Both of those goals on Saturday owed as much to opposition errors by individuals as it did to good play by us .
Isn't this the case with the majority of goals though?
The Gibbins
Maggot infested twat
Total likes: 10 likes

Post by The Gibbins »

As for Pardew :lol: An injustice that Gayle was sent off.... Give me a break! Two stupid tackles and he was rightly sent off. Dwight Gayle had an absolute shocker, the penalty itself should have been taken a third time.
the pink palermo
Huge noggin

Clacton-ammer wrote:Pinky, apart from a worldy outside the box 95% of goals you could argue the defence should have done better in any given situation - that's football. It's about the craft of your team exploiting those situations.
I understand that, a few weeks ago we made individual errors that gifted goals to Bournemouth and Leicester .Without them we would be top of the league .Fine lines and all that .
irving boleyn wrote:Jenk's goal "basically a gift" ??

You are hard to please Mr.Palermo !
Merely pointing out how the oppositions manager would see it .Zaha clearly fell asleep , by doing so he created the opportunity .

Jenks did though finish it brilliantly .
Romford wrote:A much overlooked fact about Saturday....Palace had one shot on goal which was the pen.

I keep reading we were lucky :asleep:
I haven't seen a single poster say we were lucky at Palace , not one .

As for the defensive effort I have seen many posters praise Collins, but on the general point of our success this season being built on the back of generally decent away defensive performances , I stated in the Liverpool match thread it was the best defensive shape I had ever seen us play .Ever .The discipline was supreme .

Against City it was all about desire, a determination to stop them scoring .
davids cross
Uncle David
Has liked: 669 likes
Total likes: 1290 likes

Post by davids cross »

the pink palermo wrote:Zaha switched off completely for Jenks goal, .
Thing is though Pinkers,

If you get your right back that far forward, he might well be being picked up by a winger who is back defending, and by their nature are not likely to (always) be switched on in their defensive duties. So, some credit to us for that ? :)

As an aside...

Pardew blamed Zaha.......but I thought Souaré was to blame, he was drawn towards the play, he didn't need to be. I would have bollocked him . It left a winger trying to pick up a run.
prophet:marginal
Has liked: 856 likes
Total likes: 2017 likes

Post by prophet:marginal »

Wibble!
Last edited by prophet:marginal on Tue Oct 20, 2015 12:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
the pink palermo
Huge noggin

davids cross wrote:Thing is though Pinkers,

If you get your right back that far forward, he might well be being picked up by a winger who is back defending, and by their nature are not likely to (always) be switched on in their defensive duties. So, some credit to us for that ? :)
Absolutely DC. It was noticeable on Saturday how much further forward Jenks had advanced than in a number of games this season .His confidence is returning , his willingness to put himself in advanced positions improving .
Clacton-ammer
Sultan of Swing
Has liked: 338 likes
Total likes: 357 likes

Post by Clacton-ammer »

Of course we made errors, we did on Saturday, there will be mistakes every game from every side, you don't always get punished for them, that's football.

Not sure where you are coming form on this at all?? You having a dig at posters that said we gifted them the goals?
Romford
Big X

Post by Romford »

the pink palermo wrote: I haven't seen a single poster say we were lucky at Palace , not one .

As for the defensive effort I have seen many posters praise Collins, but on the general point of our success this season being built on the back of generally decent away defensive performances , I stated in the Liverpool match thread it was the best defensive shape I had ever seen us play .Ever .The discipline was supreme .

Against City it was all about desire, a determination to stop them scoring .
Where did i say on here....?

Im talking about the red tops and old JP for MOTD
Hampshire Hammer
Has liked: 2490 likes
Total likes: 77 likes

Post by Hampshire Hammer »

The Gibbins wrote: the penalty itself should have been taken a third time.
I'm amazed more hasn't been made of this. Clattenburg insists on a retake for encroachment, then when the second pen kick is taking the same(?) palace player is in pretty much the same position but he allows it. Does the encroachment rule only apply to the first time a kick is taken then?
Norwegian Hammer
Has liked: 12 likes
Total likes: 1 like

Post by Norwegian Hammer »

Rewatched the game yesterday..we played some good stuff, and we never stopped trying to score, and were justly rewarded in the end. Bring on chelsea :scarfer: