Crystal Palace 1-3 West Ham Utd (17/10/15)

Relive every moment of every first team game since the beginning of the 2005/06 season. Our archive of matchday threads originally posted in the General Discussion Forum.

Moderator: Gnome

SDKFZ 222

Re: Crystal Palace vs West Ham Utd: match thread

Post by SDKFZ 222 »

I was at the match and clearly saw the elbow in Collins's ribs. An act missed by the ref as well. However, Collins carried on and sidn't even go off for treatment. Yes, he does make the occasional mistake but as the last defender his mistakes will be more noticeable. Personally, I feel that we are much better with him in the team or squad than without him. Remember, we were almost relegated under Zola when Collins was transferred to Villa, leaving us with just three central defenders.

By the same token, Dailly was far worse but everyone seemed to love him and even sang a song about him!
Jumby
Has liked: 17 likes
Total likes: 36 likes

Post by Jumby »

Iron George wrote:Normally think Pardew makes a lot of sense but I think Gayle was the complete idiot yesterday.

Having just been booked he dived in again and gave the referee the opportunity to send him off.

Another footballer with no brains and he can have no complaints - both were definite yellows.
What makes them both worse for him was the fact that he tried to con Clattenberg for the first by saying he got the ball and had a moan when he got the card. Then for the second if you watch it it was a spiteful challenge born out of frustration, there's anger in his face. All this ruining the game b*ll*cks annoys me, the rules are clear and if you make a challenge worthy of a yellow card offence you deserve the card, everyone should know that. I like Gayle, and his journey to the top flight is a heartwarming one, but he had to go.
Colours never run
Location: "Be in no doubt, we are part of the most successful stadium migration in history"
Has liked: 6762 likes
Total likes: 2354 likes

Post by Colours never run »

Jumby wrote:
What makes them both worse for him was the fact that he tried to con Clattenberg for the first by saying he got the ball and had a moan when he got the card. Then for the second if you watch it it was a spiteful challenge born out of frustration, there's anger in his face. All this ruining the game b*ll*cks annoys me, the rules are clear and if you make a challenge worthy of a yellow card offence you deserve the card, everyone should know that. I like Gayle, and his journey to the top flight is a heartwarming one, but he had to go.

100% agree, Jumby. He definitely had to go and he knew it by his reaction, as well as those of his own team mates.

What I also liked about the sending off was the reaction of both our own players Collins and Noble first reacting by giving him a consoling arm and comforting words sensing he was distraught because he just let his team down at such a critical point in the game. They really didn't need to go out of their way to do that but so proud that they did. It had shades of sportsmanship by Di Canio up at Goodison but in different circumstances. You'd expect that behaviour from class players on your own side, not from the opposition. Noble by name, Noble by nature.

Another clear example of what The West Ham Way is, if you're still unsure Allardyce - Gentlemanly sportsmanship.
Kludgehammer
Has liked: 180 likes
Total likes: 203 likes

Post by Kludgehammer »

Colours never run wrote:Another clear example of what The West Ham Way is, if you're still unsure Allardyce - Gentlemanly sportsmanship.
Hmm. That "genuine sportsmanship" would include Kouyate rolling on the ground clutching his thigh once he realised it was Gayle who had stamped on his toe?
sutts07
Has liked: 24 likes
Total likes: 542 likes

Post by sutts07 »

Colours never run wrote:Another clear example of what The West Ham Way is, if you're still unsure Allardyce
ZZZzzz... :asleep:
likemydreams
Has liked: 12 likes
Total likes: 48 likes

Post by likemydreams »

Kludgehammer wrote:

Hmm. That "genuine sportsmanship" would include Kouyate rolling on the ground clutching his thigh once he realised it was Gayle who had stamped on his toe?
it was his foot he was holding and if you look again im sure you'll agree them challenges hurt
Kludgehammer
Has liked: 180 likes
Total likes: 203 likes

Post by Kludgehammer »

I'm not arguing the challenge didn't hurt - but he's not holding his foot. See " onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" around the 1 minute mark. Kouyate reacts to the stamp naturally, and then falls to the ground; he then looks up, sees it's Gayle and rolls onto his back holding the back of his thigh near his knee.
hammer the hamster

Post by hammer the hamster »

Wrong thread
Iron-worx

Post by Iron-worx »

only1post wrote:Why was the knock down the decisive moment of the game?
It was the decisive moment of the game because we had not penetrated their two lines of four with footwork and didn't look likely to in time remaining - It was heading toward 1-1.

Carrolls knock down was the penetration and we scored from it.

Because we scored Palace were forced to give up the two lines of four and try for an equaliser, that left them light at the back and we scored again.

What was looking likely to be 1-1 ended up 3-1 because Carroll penetrated the two lines of four by knocking down a high ball, if that wasn't decisive then I don't know what was.

Here's somebody who agrees...... The Boss.... http://www.london24.com/sport/football/ ... _1_4275899" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/footba ... paign=1490" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Last edited by Iron-worx on Mon Oct 19, 2015 8:22 am, edited 1 time in total.
woodford
Has liked: 417 likes
Total likes: 302 likes

Post by woodford »

Great thing about this game, apart from 3 points and being able to laugh at the Nigel Ultras, was the bench.

4 attacking players. Going at the game rather than respecting a point.

There will be times when that may cost us. Personally, i loved it
Nick W
Has liked: 1 like
Total likes: 1 like

Post by Nick W »

How amazing is Bilic...

He shows so much passion. something we have had missing for a while on the touchline...
richneal
Location: Vancouver, British Columbia. 5,000 miles from goal.
Has liked: 3 likes
Total likes: 12 likes

Post by richneal »

woodford wrote:Great thing about this game . . .was the bench.
4 attacking players. Going at the game rather than respecting a point.
There will be times when that may cost us. Personally, i loved it
:thup:
Hockley Hammer
Has liked: 1 like
Total likes: 30 likes

Post by Hockley Hammer »

Gayle's reaction said everything, you don't react like that when you know you haven't done anything.

MOTD day showed the reactions of the Palace players near the incident. Not one went to to his aid, there was a collective looking to the sky and shaking of the head.

It wasn't the worst tackle to end up off the pitch, but it was certainly a yellow card. To be honest a few refs might have given him a straight red for the first one.

I'm just glad we actually punished a team in those circumstances.
Puff Daddy
Gone for a Burton
Has liked: 255 likes
Total likes: 1158 likes

Post by Puff Daddy »

I haven't seen any mention of the contribution Kouyate made towards this win. The guy is a colossus in our midfield and reminds me more and more with every passing week of Patrick Vierra. We have one or two cheap imitations before, who were quickly found out, but never the real deal like this guy is
sutts07
Has liked: 24 likes
Total likes: 542 likes

Post by sutts07 »

Lot's of post immediately after the game saying how key it was having him sit deeper to protect the back four Puff.
woodford
Has liked: 417 likes
Total likes: 302 likes

Post by woodford »

strange comments from Pardew in regards to the sending off

He said something along the lines of , "the first challenge for the yellow card was a booking, the second challenge was silly but i thought the ref should've given the boy a warning"

Im no football expert but isn't the first yellow card effectively the warning ???

I'm sure some pedant will post something about the laws of the game contradicting that but surely common sense would tell you to tread carefully ( no pun intended ) once you had a yellow card. Watch that game again, you can see on TV Gayle clearly giving it to our defenders mouthing "F*** off" and snarling, so he was pumped up for the fight . I would've thought more experienced members of his team might have had a word in his ear. But far easier to blame the ref i suppose.

Would have more respect for Pards if he called it how it was, didnt see any team mates complaining at the time
Aceface
Has liked: 373 likes
Total likes: 1470 likes

Post by Aceface »

Ian Bishop wrote:Don't really get the Collins love-in.
Strange how much people have bigged him up. You should only really judge when we were playing 11, and during that period he was only ok - and realistically he should have cost us a goal with his air shot.

I don't think you can draw too many conclusions from the way he performed after the sending off when they barely had an attack worthy of the name.
smarthammer

Post by smarthammer »

woodford wrote:strange comments from Pardew in regards to the sending off

He said something along the lines of , "the first challenge for the yellow card was a booking, the second challenge was silly but i thought the ref should've given the boy a warning"
I think it was Lee Mason the other week that set the precedent Pardew was trying to infer when Coquewasit committed enough yellow/red card offences in 20 mins not to see the pitch again till after Christmas and Wenger through embarrassment at the obvious bias eventually hauled him off.

Pardew's take that it "ruined the spectacle" was also another strange comment - personally I thought their one trick attack of pace followed by falling over was their downfall - no meaningful chances all game - oh, and getting pulled all over the place by a better team!!
SiamHammer
Has liked: 1076 likes
Total likes: 199 likes

Post by SiamHammer »

Love this from Bilic

"Those wins at Arsenal, Liverpool and City were satisfying because they made history. We hadn't won at those places for years. People are not going to go out and get a tattoo because we won at Palace but, for me, to come to Selhurst Park and do it in such style makes me so very proud.
vind

Post by vind »

Loved Bilic's sign off at the end of the interview with Beeb, "happy Hammer". he knows what's it's like to be a fan, unlike his predecessor