Crystal Palace 1-3 West Ham Utd (17/10/15)

Relive every moment of every first team game since the beginning of the 2005/06 season. Our archive of matchday threads originally posted in the General Discussion Forum.

Moderator: Gnome

EastleighHammer16
Has liked: 230 likes
Total likes: 1648 likes

Re: Crystal Palace vs West Ham Utd: match thread

Post by EastleighHammer16 »

Hampshire Hammer wrote: I'm amazed more hasn't been made of this. Clattenburg insists on a retake for encroachment, then when the second pen kick is taking the same(?) palace player is in pretty much the same position but he allows it. Does the encroachment rule only apply to the first time a kick is taken then?
I think the fact Adrian was a few yards off his line makes up for it. Pens would be retaken about 10 times a game if the referee's applied the letter of the law!
Johnny Byrne's Boots
Has liked: 1788 likes
Total likes: 2072 likes

Post by Johnny Byrne's Boots »

Hampshire Hammer wrote: I'm amazed more hasn't been made of this. Clattenburg insists on a retake for encroachment, then when the second pen kick is taking the same(?) palace player is in pretty much the same position but he allows it. Does the encroachment rule only apply to the first time a kick is taken then?
I obviously can't know what if anything goes on in Clattenburg's brain, but the first time the kick was taken, the offending encroacher was way ahead of the rest of them. The second time the encroachers, of both teams it must be said, were pretty much level and perhaps he thought they cancelled each other out and so let it go.

Like holding and shirt pulling at set pieces, if each incident was penalised the game would never finish. There'd be a penalty at every corner and free kick, which would be retaken eighteen times.
Beavis Danzig
Has liked: 3 likes
Total likes: 733 likes

Post by Beavis Danzig »

the pink palermo wrote:Zaha switched off completely for Jenks goal, basically a gift - that is not to belittle the pass made by Moses or the run made by Jenks, but if you are Alan Pardew that's what you would be saying to Zaha.
you need to watch that back mate. with the build up it was the most beautiful goal of the weekend from a purely footballing perspective. the whole point of these patient passing build ups is to catch out the one player not keeping up with play and exploit them.
Hampshire Hammer
Has liked: 2429 likes
Total likes: 77 likes

Post by Hampshire Hammer »

EastleighHammer16 wrote: I think the fact Adrian was a few yards off his line makes up for it. Pens would be retaken about 10 times a game if the referee's applied the letter of the law!
It was more his inconsistency that I was commenting on. A few seasons ago refs had obviously been told to crack down on encroachment, it didn't take long for it to sink in.
EastleighHammer16
Has liked: 230 likes
Total likes: 1648 likes

Post by EastleighHammer16 »

Hampshire Hammer wrote:
It was more his inconsistency that I was commenting on. A few seasons ago refs had obviously been told to crack down on encroachment, it didn't take long for it to sink in.
Consistency doesn't seem to be a thing when it comes to referees!
mushy
Has liked: 640 likes
Total likes: 841 likes

Post by mushy »

EastleighHammer16 wrote: I'm amazed more hasn't been made of this. Clattenburg insists on a retake for encroachment, then when the second pen kick is taking the same(?) palace player is in pretty much the same position but he allows it. Does the encroachment rule only apply to the first time a kick is taken then?

My reasoning was that Clattenburg only asked for the retake the first time because Gayle was so far forward his view of the penalty was obstructed. I kid you not.
Second time Clattenburg moved a bit so he could get a decent view and Gayle was further back.
I also thought players got booked for encroachment, if not they should, its cheating.
whu92

Post by whu92 »

Does anyone know who took over as captain when Noble went off against Palace, I couldn't find it written anywhere.
bullyhammer

Post by bullyhammer »

whu92 wrote:Does anyone know who took over as captain when Noble went off against Palace, I couldn't find it written anywhere.
Tomka I thought
whu92

Post by whu92 »

whu92 Does anyone know who took over as captain when Noble went off against Palace, I couldn't find it written anywhere

quote="bullyhammer"][quote[="
Tomka I thought[/quote]
He's the one I thought it might be , I just didn't see it on any of the threads or match reports.