West Ham Utd 2-1 Chelsea (24/10/15)

Relive every moment of every first team game since the beginning of the 2005/06 season. Our archive of matchday threads originally posted in the General Discussion Forum.

Moderator: Gnome

The Sherriff
Has liked: 7 likes
Total likes: 106 likes

Re: West Ham Utd vs Chelsea: match thread

Post by The Sherriff »

Tomkins is our best British player this season by some considerable distance (in my very humble opinion).

More deserving of a call up than anyone else. Its of great testament to the capability of the squad.

Thought Nobes did exceptionally well in ushering our lot away from the referee on numerous occasions, very good captaincy. Shame that we’ve been penalised as its without justification.
Colours never run
Location: "Be in no doubt, we are part of the most successful stadium migration in history"
Has liked: 6811 likes
Total likes: 2363 likes

Post by Colours never run »

kalashnikov wrote:
I must say I'm very impressed with how he is responding to increased pressure for his place. He doesn't have the innate athleticism that Reid can rely on but is consistently raising his game in a way that last season he didn't as a guaranteed starter.

Really shows what competition can do.

I don't think the competition for places is having that much of an effect on Tomkins, he's been playing like this consistently for a while now, last season he was a key part of a very stubborn defence. And that was without his main partner Reid out injured for a while. It was further up the field that was costing us as to why we were slipping down the table.
ageing hammer
Has liked: 484 likes
Total likes: 1475 likes

Post by ageing hammer »

No wonder fatty wants him.
bullyhammer

Post by bullyhammer »

He can want all he wants...
Duff
Has liked: 3 likes
Total likes: 6 likes

Post by Duff »

Colours never run wrote:
I don't think the competition for places is having that much of an effect on Tomkins, he's been playing like this consistently for a while now, last season he was a key part of a very stubborn defence. And that was without his main partner Reid out injured for a while. It was further up the field that was costing us as to why we were slipping down the table.
Was going to say much the same thing, he's been playing very well for quite some time. I was frustrated he seemed to lose his place as soon as Ogbonna showed up but glad events have given him a chance to show how vital he is.

In his position there's bound to be a few costly errors over a season but he doesn't make many.
Colours never run
Location: "Be in no doubt, we are part of the most successful stadium migration in history"

Yep, I shared the same frustrations when Ogbonna was unnecessarily chucked in at the deep end so early on. When fit, no ones budging Reid and Tomkins and I think Bilic now realises that, or at least I hope so. I think Bilic might have been a little surprised just how good Tomkins is at CB up close and personal.
Hampshire Hammer
Has liked: 2429 likes
Total likes: 77 likes

Post by Hampshire Hammer »

morganwhu wrote:I do not believe the referee was going to red card him off his own back.

When this became apparent I almost lost the plot.

I am glad the players, and fans put the pressure on them...... it goes to show we aren't going to accept being shat on anymore and maybe we have a different mentality now where by everything is worth fighting for.

The Chelsea **** deserved to go and they deserved a taste of their own medicine, John Terry et all would have been all over them if it was one of ours.
I agree 100%. I was going mental as it was obvious he was not going to give Matic a second yellow. In no way did our players harass the ref "Chelsea style", if the ref felt they did then he should have issued cards.
Colours never run

Charging us for our apparent 'melee around the Ref' almost comes across as the FA showing Mourinho it ain't just them being singled out all the time. We get a little tap on the wrist but know they can't punish us too bad because there was little to be disgusted by.

That said, I still didn't like seeing Jenkinson getting so vocal and it was Noble trying to talk calmly with the Ref, as he's entitled to do approaching the Ref as captain. And like others have said, there was only one team booked twice for their part in hounding the Ref which says a lot.
Jumby
Has liked: 17 likes
Total likes: 35 likes

Post by Jumby »

I don't know if it's already been mentioned on here but we won on Saturday without our two, arguably, first choice centre backs. Tomkins has been brilliant this season and Ginge has come in and looked solid but Reid and Ogbonna appeared to be our first choice centre backs, although I think Tomkins has made it his now with his quite frankly superb displays.

The thing is we've beaten the current champions with our second choice centre backs, could any other club do that? Man City go to sh*t at the back without Kompany, Chelsea look bad with whoever they pick, Arsenals centre halves are average at best, Spurs don't seem to have a solid centre back pairing, Liverpools are clowns at times with Skrtel too focused on getting stuck in and whoever is with him looking like a passenger who got on the wrong bus, and finally Man Utd don't look settled when they have an inury there.....I'd say our centre halves, pound for pound, are the best in the league!!!!
brooking_1980
Has liked: 12 likes
Total likes: 58 likes

Post by brooking_1980 »

Had this exchange with a Chelsea fan, made me smile, thought I would share :)

Me : do you think its time for Jose to go, i was at Upton Park on the weekend and he did look forlorn, I couldn't quite shout loud enough for him to sit down, but am sure he heard the 30k or so Hammers fans telling him same. i think Roman's had enough. We've not had enough, we're going for the title.

Chelsea fan: Crazy - you have been the biggest underachieving club in London for years and years - you get a lucky win against Chelsea and you think your Barcelona - haha muppets. Lets see at the end of the season - when we are above you again...
DaveWHU1964
Has liked: 1300 likes
Total likes: 676 likes

Post by DaveWHU1964 »

brooking_1980 wrote:"Lets see at the end of the season - when we are above you again"
Their aspirations seem to have changed a little :)
Colours never run

Jesus Christ, talk about making a catalogue of excuses for him -

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/34668718" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

None of that washes with me and it all lies at the managers door what's gone wrong for them this season. Bad luck happens to all teams, as does injuries or lack of confidence. He has been his own architect in his downfall ever since he inexcusably sacked off the Doctor and it's constantly haunting him and the team with continual poor decisions made and belittling his already fragile squad.

Does he deserve the sack? He's walking an absolute tightrope right now with how he's carried on and not just based on results and performances but putting the game into disrepute acting like a petulant baby and undermining other staff when it was plain wrong.
fjthegrey
Has liked: 14 likes
Total likes: 1170 likes

Post by fjthegrey »

Does anyone remember that time when we beat them last week?

****ing great wasn't it.
Monkey Mike
Total likes: 1 like

Post by Monkey Mike »

fjthegrey wrote:Does anyone remember that time when we beat them last week?

****ing great wasn't it.
:lol: I've lost count of the amount of times I've watched the first 20 minutes of match of the day on Iplayer.
CMNinja
Has liked: 4 likes
Total likes: 4 likes

Post by CMNinja »

In CNR's BBC link, they say: "[Jose's] spiky character is part of the reason people love him so much." I hear variations on the theme of people loving him quite a lot but who are these 'people'? Is it just the media? I can't say I know anyone who 'loves' him.
pharaoh
Has liked: 3 likes

Post by pharaoh »

CMNinja wrote:In CNR's BBC link, they say: "[Jose's] spiky character is part of the reason people love him so much." I hear variations on the theme of people loving him quite a lot but who are these 'people'? Is it just the media? I can't say I know anyone who 'loves' him.
Sounds like typical rubbish the bbc say...
furious tiles

Post by furious tiles »

For those of you that saw the link i posted from the Chelsea supporters group page about the forth coming West Ham vs Chelsea match by the guy I know
This one: http://www.chelseasupportersgroup.net/2 ... chelsea-2/

Here is the deluded one:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y3S1XLq3OCM
Such utter whopping LOLS :lol:
furious tiles

Post by furious tiles »

For those of you that saw the link i posted from the Chelsea supporters group page about the forth coming West Ham vs Chelsea match by the guy I know

Here is the deluded one:
hammer the hamster

Post by hammer the hamster »

furious tiles wrote:For those of you that saw the link i posted from the Chelsea supporters group page about the forth coming West Ham vs Chelsea match by the guy I know

Here is the deluded one:
I say, I think one should lay off of Rupert, he did seem jolly upset and I am sure his chums at the yacht club will be very miffed at the level of corruption within soccer HQ and what not. Must dash, I have a croquet tourney commencing in a few mins and I have to collect Verity from finishing school. TTFN and jolly hockey sticks for now.