West Ham Utd 1-1 Everton (07/11/16)

Relive every moment of every first team game since the beginning of the 2005/06 season. Our archive of matchday threads originally posted in the General Discussion Forum.

Moderator: Gnome

Billydinho
Has liked: 174 likes
Total likes: 767 likes

Re: West Ham Utd vs Everton: match thread

Post by Billydinho »

If that was Noble who lost that ball he'd have been caned for it.

As great as Payet is we have to be able to point out a mistake of his.
Colours never run
Location: "Be in no doubt, we are part of the most successful stadium migration in history"
Has liked: 6811 likes
Total likes: 2363 likes

Post by Colours never run »

Just wanted to add my disdain to McCarthys sickening sissor kick challenge from behind. But not only that, when a fair few of us were reminding him of the fact he was a total **** for doing Payet like a coward, all he could do was grin, laughing about it. He's definitely on my **** list now. Thing is, he's actually a decent midfielder when he doesn't resort to such dirty, blatant tactics (wasn't his first reckless challenge) but that weren't washing with me and many others who gave him dogs abuse for what he done. And he knew it which made my blood boil more.
Beavis Danzig
Has liked: 3 likes
Total likes: 733 likes

Post by Beavis Danzig »

even after losing payet, we still had plenty of threat. valencia was a big part of that and I wish those runs could've been through the middle rather than into the channel.

they saw to him too soon enough though.
traxop

Post by traxop »

upton o'good wrote:
For me, he and Reid were massively at fault for the goal. If thy defend properly we win 1 0. On balance I blame Reid more, as he was the defender who should have been between Lukaku and goal [break was right side of centre].. But both of them watched Lukaku run past and old reacted when they realised the ball might reach him. Top defenders don't do that.
Perception and memory can be funny sometimes, but luckily we got the benefit of replays. Just had a re-watch of the first half on http://www.gettyfooty.com/2015/11/premi ... t-ham.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;.

This being a recording of an online stream, there were some parts where the lag was producing a still frame of the video with the commentary going on in the background. It so happens that one of these still frames occurred during the slow-mo commentary replay of the Lukaku goal. What the frame showed was just after Payet lost the ball, but before the through ball was played.

There has been a narrative that our CBs switched off and weren't aware of the danger, that was not the case. In that picture you can clearly see both Tonks and Reidy facing in the direction of the Everton player up the field, and Reid was in a crouching stance ready to react.

In that same frame, you can see Reid was inline with Lukaku but Tomkins was a few meters behind. When the video resumes, you see Tomkins moving up and when the ball gets to Lukaku, it is Tonks that was closest to him.

I think in the end the goal was the result of a few split second decisions that had to be made, and if there had been made differently, could have prevented the goal. I mean if our CBs could have keep a line in the first instance, then it may well have been possible to play Lukaku offside, or when Tonks started to make his move, instead of moving up to trying to spring the offside trap, he moved into the path and block him, or if only Adrian stayed instead of coming out.
Colours never run
Location: "Be in no doubt, we are part of the most successful stadium migration in history"

Beavis Danzig wrote:even after losing payet, we still had plenty of threat. valencia was a big part of that and I wish those runs could've been through the middle rather than into the channel.

they saw to him too soon enough though.

I mentioned to others after the game that we are a little too predictable by often going wide to get in behind teams and look for a cross for Carrolls head. I want us to try playing through the middle more because I think we have the players to do it.
Colours never run

Or put simply, you cut the root of the problem out in the first place by making it clear to your players not to overplay it in future, by losing possession in midfield the way Payet did and Everton pounced on it. Yes both centre backs could be blamed by not quite dealing with a world class centre forward but it wasn't their fault initially and Payet knew it as soon as he made the mistake. Sometimes as a team you can get away with it by other team mates bailing you out but it can't be expected all the time. Most of the game though, the defence marshalled the Everton forwards expertly.

It doesn't mean I think any less of Payet either as we all know just how good he is which kinda makes it more frustrating to know he's better than that. It happens and near enough every player that's played regularly now has cost us one way or another. Thankfully as a team we do so much good that it's not a major issue.
Yea Why Not
Location: Chips & Gravy you say? Well you can shove that up your ass

Post by Yea Why Not »

Payet losing the ball every now and again in midfield is to be expected when you consider what he does with it
mumbles87
Has liked: 55 likes
Total likes: 935 likes

Post by mumbles87 »

Billydinho wrote:If that was Noble who lost that ball he'd have been caned for it.

As great as Payet is we have to be able to point out a mistake of his.
I think everyone is cutting him slack because he was carrying a knock after a scissor challenge
Billydinho
Has liked: 174 likes
Total likes: 767 likes

Post by Billydinho »

Yea Why Not wrote:Payet losing the ball every now and again in midfield is to be expected when you consider what he does with it
Completely agree but it's also expected of Noble when you consider how many passes he gets through a game.
Yea Why Not
Location: Chips & Gravy you say? Well you can shove that up your ass

Post by Yea Why Not »

Billydinho wrote: completely agree but it's also expected of Noble when you consider how many passes he gets through a game.

Of course but I haven't seen many people complain about that. Noble twice lost possession playing the ball square across the edge of our box in the space of a few weeks. One of them directly led to a goal. The other one should have too. I see no problem with people criticising him for that. The misplaced pass against Chelsea was more lack of awareness than anything else. He could have easily taken a touch but instead panicked handed the ball to them and they were a gnats cock away from scoring. That one wasn't nearly as bad as the other two though
Monkeybubbles
Has liked: 485 likes
Total likes: 1954 likes

Post by Monkeybubbles »

TBH, I don't take the opportunity to go to many away games but I'll definitely be going to Everton just to give that **** Mcarthy some stick. He's right at the top of my hate list, just above Hitler and Cliff.
Last edited by -DL- on Mon Nov 09, 2015 8:35 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: The swear filter blocks out the entire C word for a reason. Please refrain from bypassing it. Thank you.
stk31

Post by stk31 »

An outrageous pass from Payet whilst looking the other way, highlight of the game that for me, why they showed that on MOTD and never highlighted it is beyond me!. The ref was shocking, first 20 minutes set the tone, allowing every Everton player to make one bad foul after another before finally giving a yellow. When Payet went down under that awful challenge from McCarthy he was in no state to continue, I was watching him hobbling around, he could barely stand let alone run, he’s an amazing player but I think he (and the management team) should have been more professional and subbed him, this injury is the only reason he lost the ball, as he’s so good on it generally it was so unexpected and the defenders had switched off, 5 seconds later it’s in the back of the net from a world class striker – something we lack with Carroll who’s movement or lack of it on Saturday was shocking, I’ve seen Under 9’s with better hunger to work the channels and make forward runs for the fast breaking midfielders. All in all a good game though and we probably just edged it and a point well earned.
Colours never run

The knock had nothing to do with him deciding to over play it on the ball. He's good enough and old enough to know better and you could see how sorry he was once they scored.

Loved his blind reverse pass and the bit where he stands on the ball and nutmegs Barkley in the process though. :lol:
jhammers
Has liked: 72 likes
Total likes: 28 likes

Post by jhammers »

Thought we played really well. Refreshing to see at 1-1 us bringing on Valencia, Zarate and Jelavic and not Joey O'Brien.

Tomkins my man of the match. Was outstanding.

Match of the day highlights were terrible. Missed Payet's 'no look' pass and also the nutmeg on halfway, was class. They didn't even show the horror tackle on him, until after the game!
Aceface
Has liked: 358 likes
Total likes: 1446 likes

Post by Aceface »

Don't think too much time needs to be wasted on figuring out which if any of the CBs were at fault for what happened after Payet's fumble - that was an outrageously good pass, doubled in potency by it happening a second after we'd been on attack. Sometimes you come up against a good'un.

The only thing that makes you think is how few goals we've conceded that weren't an almost direct result of a piece of bumbling on our part. I know by strict definition a goal has to be the result of a mistake, but generally those mistakes aren't quite so glaring as the ones we're making and being punished for.
POP POP POP Robson
Has liked: 57 likes
Total likes: 2 likes

Post by POP POP POP Robson »

Just wondering are we are likely to get a fine for crowding the ref after the Payet tackle? I think at least four of our players went to the ref. Having said that, to my knowledge Chelsea and Liverpool haven't received one for a similar situation involving both their players the previous weekend. This new rule is unworkable but if they introduce a law they need to either uphold it consistently or else just bin it.
richneal
Location: Vancouver, British Columbia. 5,000 miles from goal.
Has liked: 3 likes
Total likes: 12 likes

Post by richneal »

Aceface wrote:Don't think too much time needs to be wasted on figuring out which if any of the CBs were at fault for what happened after Payet's fumble - that was an outrageously good pass, doubled in potency by it happening a second after we'd been on attack. Sometimes you come up against a good'un.
Thank you.

CB's were great on Sat, and in this particular instance they were split by a great pass, great composure and a great finish from whatshisname.

Absolutely no shame and no problem in being outfoxed in one instance by class, and that was a class goal.

And yes, all comments noted re. Payet's fumble in the middle of the park. We've pulled Song up for it last season, Noble this season and now Dimitri - valid criticism of all three. This is something that Bilic can actually work on with any of our squad.