West Ham Utd 1-1 Everton (07/11/16)

Relive every moment of every first team game since the beginning of the 2005/06 season. Our archive of matchday threads originally posted in the General Discussion Forum.

Moderator: Gnome

Chicken Run Supreme
Has liked: 874 likes
Total likes: 855 likes

Re: West Ham Utd vs Everton: match thread

Post by Chicken Run Supreme »

Lukaku is a beast. He's only 22 years old and has bagged 32 goals for Everton in 79 appearances, would love to have him scoring goals for us instead of against us. How Chelsea could do with him now!!
The Old Mile End
Has liked: 9 likes
Total likes: 104 likes

Post by The Old Mile End »

A draw was a fair result I thought. Neither side did enough to win it – but we were dead on our feet at the end and seemed to be hanging on.

The injury to Payet spoilt our game plan. However, Valencia did look lively in his short spell and we began to attack with a bit of pace. Disappointing to see him go off with injury again. Would have liked to see Antonio replace him and carry on the same game plan. I felt we were no threat at all once Zarate came on.

I watched Carroll a lot and thought he was totally out of place and uncomfortable out there. He seemed like a fish out of water to me – and just did not know how to play with his new teammates. I can’t recall him having any attempts at goal. He wasn’t lazy,- he was simply inept.

A class goal from Lanzini. Moses had a good, busy game and both these players made up for last week.

Kouyate does seem to have lost his way a little. Noble had a good solid game – as did our defence.

A good hard contest, against a very decent side who we will do well to finish above this season.
LeonRivers
Has liked: 1035 likes
Total likes: 394 likes

Post by LeonRivers »

Wow! Just seen the challenge that injured Payet. A quite obvious red card if ever there was one. A potential leg-breaking scissors challenge. Poor from the ref. :thdn:
pharaoh
Has liked: 3 likes
Total likes: 1 like

Post by pharaoh »

LeonRivers wrote:Wow! Just seen the challenge that injured Payet. A quite obvious red card if ever there was one. A potential leg-breaking scissors challenge. Poor from the ref. :thdn:
It was't the first poor challenge on him either. It was a game plan to get at Payet and the ref allowed it to happen. The ref was generally poor and once Payet went we lost a lot of our creative ideas.
prophet:marginal
Has liked: 856 likes
Total likes: 2017 likes

Post by prophet:marginal »

I've noted that, from our starting eleven yesterday, 3 of the stand out performers were loan signings.

Obviously, nearly every team relies on a loanee or two, but >25% of our team yesterday had that status.

Is this just a shape of things in the present day, or does it point to (more) squad building being necessary in the coming windows?

I would personally sign all three of

Lanzini
Moses, and
Jenkinson

(in that order of effort, too)
carnage
Has liked: 84 likes
Total likes: 709 likes

Post by carnage »

I agree about Lanzini.

Has a touch of Zola about him, great player in the making.
Phil S
Has liked: 448 likes
Total likes: 378 likes

Post by Phil S »

Moses had a decent game but he goes down too easy, really not comfortable with divers.
jaybs
Has liked: 21 likes
Total likes: 8 likes

Post by jaybs »

What a goal from Lanzini, Payet is so influential, and the tackle on him was disgusting, the amount of work Mark Noble gets through, some great passing and a superb leader, we are so missing Sakho, his movement, uncertain why we ever signed Jelavic he offers nothing when he comes on, and Carroll not sure what we do with him? he is simply not good enough, we can't have him starting or we will go through the same time as we did last season. I will take the draw, but they always had me worried each time they broke in those last 20 minutes.
rottiel

Post by rottiel »

Enjoyed the game and a fair result in my book.
Agree with others about the ref, how Everton were allowed to get away with so many bookable fouls is unreal.
Lanzini, what a finish... :thup:
giantsteps

Post by giantsteps »

Also - bit of a down point yesterday was getting a taste of what it'll be like next season when we move to Stratford. The whole place was absolutely chocka full of egg chasing fans, couldn't get served in a pub for love nor money. If that's what it'll be like I'll be drinking well away from the ground.
the pink palermo
Huge noggin
Has liked: 804 likes
Total likes: 3018 likes

Post by the pink palermo »

I think Rars made a good comment about Moses earlier in this thread and where he would play him .

As for Lanzini, he's pretty good to watch as well .

We're the elusive one player short of being really good .Just one more bit of stardust and we could win this competition .
Puff Daddy
Gone for a Burton
Has liked: 256 likes
Total likes: 1158 likes

Post by Puff Daddy »

I was slightly disappointed by the introduction of Zarate over Antonio as Valencia's replacement. Enner is quick, but Antonio is, by all accounts even quicker and his raw talent might just have given Everton something very different to think about
jacko
Has liked: 61 likes
Total likes: 154 likes

Post by jacko »

the pink palermo wrote:
We're the elusive one player short of being really good .Just one more bit of stardust and we could win this competition .
What position do you think? Up front?
libero
Has liked: 1 like
Total likes: 11 likes

Post by libero »

I see Cullen made the bench ahead of Obiang - strange, is he injured?
the pink palermo
Huge noggin
Has liked: 804 likes
Total likes: 3018 likes

Post by the pink palermo »

jacko wrote: What position do you think? Up front?
I'm not entirely sure . and while it's obvious to point out a few extra goals could mean a lot more points, so would a couple more clean sheets .

I just feel we are almost really good .Almost .

I thought we played some good stuff yesterday without really working their keeper too much , and their fans could say pretty much the same .

My point is I believe there is only one outstanding team in the competition this season, and we've already beaten them so if we ever want to win the league I doubt we'll have a better chance .

We have to invest in January .One top drawer absolutely world class player .One .

Could make the difference .
Tristan Shout
An unhealthy interest in "Dogging"
Has liked: 5 likes
Total likes: 38 likes

Post by Tristan Shout »

Lots of people saying it was a fair result, ok I'll admit overall it was a pretty even match, however only one team set out to injure one of the opposition and kick the other team off the park,
Even if they are the better team on the day, no team that play such disgusting tactics, like Bolton used to, like Stoke did under Pulis etc, setting out to bend the rules as much as you can get away with or to disrupt the game and enjoyment of those paying a fortune to go and watch ever deserve anything out of the game, there should only be one winner and that was us yesterday, the team that set out to entertain and play a fair game, I would be so ashamed if we ever use tactics like that
e17
Has liked: 282 likes
Total likes: 956 likes

Post by e17 »

the pink palermo wrote:We're the elusive one player short of being really good .Just one more bit of stardust and we could win this competition .
A Tony Cottee away for me

A fit Sakho is close enough to being a Frankie Mac, the midfield with the addition of Alex Song is as stellar a group as I can remember, the defence is a million miles away from playing Johnny Specs as emergency full back...

But we're still STILL still an elusive goalscorer away from something special for me. Jelavic is just Carlton minus the heart, & unfortunately Carroll now appears to me to be the 3rd choice impact sub that we'll be able to afford in about 2 seasons but not now
Beavis Danzig
Has liked: 3 likes
Total likes: 771 likes

Post by Beavis Danzig »

e17 wrote:But we're still STILL still an elusive goalscorer away from something special for me. Jelavic is just Carlton minus the heart, & unfortunately Carroll now appears to me to be the 3rd choice impact sub that we'll be able to afford in about 2 seasons but not now
zaza might still be on the cards. hardly playing for juve and rumoured to be leaving in january if they get lavezzi in.

bear in mind we're a different prospect to summer. big names had to take a bit of a punt with us that the new manager would turn us from a grinding air ball club in relegation form to what we are today. if I was a striker looking to make my mark I could a lot worse that being supplied by payet, song and lanzini at the right end of premier league.
Irrons
Has liked: 1290 likes
Total likes: 262 likes

Post by Irrons »

Tristan Shout wrote:Lots of people saying it was a fair result, ok I'll admit overall it was a pretty even match, however only one team set out to injure one of the opposition and kick the other team off the park,
Even if they are the better team on the day, no team that play such disgusting tactics, like Bolton used to, like Stoke did under Pulis etc, setting out to bend the rules as much as you can get away with or to disrupt the game and enjoyment of those paying a fortune to go and watch ever deserve anything out of the game, there should only be one winner and that was us yesterday, the team that set out to entertain and play a fair game, I would be so ashamed if we ever use tactics like that
They really are a dirty side and seem to have become far more snidey under Martinez - who I dislike more and more - I always felt they were more of an 'honest' hard-working side under Moyes. Their modus operandi out of possession seems to be committing fouls all over the park to disrupt opposition play as much as you can before you pick up a card. It's like Martinez had said to them yesterday - test the referee and if he's lenient then go to town on their best players - just don't get sent off.

James McCarthy typifies this attitude (a player that Martinez bought in from his time at Wigan) and is the dirtiest player in that team by a country mile. There's a reason why hes one more yellow card away from a one match ban and his challenge on Payet should have been a straight red.

He should have had a yellow the 10th minute of the match as well I thought - he got beaten and then cynically dragged down and pushed Payet in the face (as the second last man) when we were breaking. The referee bottled it and did the "let's have a chat" approach.

The biggest gripe I have with Martinez is he will whine and whine when it's his team that gets a job done on them or when an Allardyce or Pulis comes in and roughs up his team a bit, he'll moan about how they are the only team trying to play football. Total hypocrisy from a man who won't admit he's happy to play that way whenever it suits him and the media who love to fawn over him because his teams play some good football from time to time.

I really hope Barkley or Stones get targeted with some tasty challenges in their upcoming games - they deserve everything they get.
Last edited by Irrons on Sun Nov 08, 2015 2:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
arlhe
Has liked: 241 likes
Total likes: 182 likes

Post by arlhe »

The way they kicked Payet off the pitch reminded me of the 70s. As has been commented elsewhere, Ginge would have been red carded for every one of those.

Played well for most of the game but 1-1 was about right.