West Ham Utd 1-1 Everton (07/11/16)

Relive every moment of every first team game since the beginning of the 2005/06 season. Our archive of matchday threads originally posted in the General Discussion Forum.

Moderator: Gnome

irving boleyn
Has liked: 61 likes
Total likes: 82 likes

Re: West Ham Utd vs Everton: match thread

Post by irving boleyn »

To play Carroll the same way as last week was disappointing.

It seems he can only think about getting on the end of a cross..... even after his lay offs he is gesturing to the recipient to get the ball out wide rather than looking to receive a return pass, Cant imagine him ever scoring the Lukaku goall in similar circumstances,

That aside I came away feeling it was good to compete with a strong Everton side on a level footing, rather than generally having felt the underdog against them in recent years.
Pulls up Trees
Has liked: 1 like
Total likes: 1 like

Post by Pulls up Trees »

Has anyone got a link to the bit of skill from Payet where he passed while looking the other way, which led to Cresswell's shot?
Colours never run
Location: "Be in no doubt, we are part of the most successful stadium migration in history"
Has liked: 6811 likes
Total likes: 2363 likes

Post by Colours never run »

Tristan Shout wrote:Lots of people saying it was a fair result, ok I'll admit overall it was a pretty even match, however only one team set out to injure one of the opposition and kick the other team off the park,
Even if they are the better team on the day, no team that play such disgusting tactics, like Bolton used to, like Stoke did under Pulis etc, setting out to bend the rules as much as you can get away with or to disrupt the game and enjoyment of those paying a fortune to go and watch ever deserve anything out of the game, there should only be one winner and that was us yesterday, the team that set out to entertain and play a fair game, I would be so ashamed if we ever use tactics like that

My thoughts exactly, during the game. There was only one team looking to play football and the other trying their level best to spoil it. School of Science my arse!
ironsjh

Post by ironsjh »

Phil S wrote:Moses had a decent game but he goes down too easy, really not comfortable with divers.
I don't think he dives, it might just be because he's relatively short but still quite built, so it's easier to lose his balance,
Markeetee
Has liked: 13 likes
Total likes: 5 likes

Post by Markeetee »

libero wrote:I see Cullen made the bench ahead of Obiang - strange, is he injured?
Yes he is, thigh injury - should be back by 22nd November
Markeetee
Has liked: 13 likes
Total likes: 5 likes

Post by Markeetee »

Re Antonio, don't think Billic trusts him/knows him yet. Would have liked to see him instead of Jelavic or Zarate yesterday, however I completely trust Billic.
warp
Location: I am everything about this site which is wrong... i don't give a toss about WHUFC.

Post by warp »

ironsjh wrote:I don't think he dives, it might just be because he's relatively short but still quite built, so it's easier to lose his balance,
if anything, that would help him keeping it.
he does like a dive or two, unfortunately.
PrinceH

Post by PrinceH »

I'm happy that PL develops, but when you see someone stab down our playmaker more or less deliberately I miss to have a Repka- och Keane type of player who can protect our assets a bit more and just give the opposition a glance which tells everyone that if they touch a diamond like Payet it will hurt.

May seem harsh, but...
Irrons
Has liked: 1267 likes
Total likes: 255 likes

Post by Irrons »

https://vid.me/screamopilla/albums/jame ... uld-have-b

Here's the first nailed on yellow card offence from McCarthy I mentioned earlier - which is why he should have walked on his second offence. Dirty snide who got away with one and the referee was a gutless bottlejob.

It's funny because if this was against Chelsea or Arsenal or Man City - this is all they would have focussed on on Sky/MOTD and in the newspapers etc etc. How the team playing them got away with it.

I'd be raising this with the referee's association if I was in any sort of capacity at West Ham, no doubt.
Last edited by Irrons on Sun Nov 08, 2015 3:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Puff Daddy
Gone for a Burton
Has liked: 248 likes
Total likes: 1160 likes

Post by Puff Daddy »

Irrons wrote:https://vid.me/gopS

Here's the first nailed on yellow card offence from McCarthy I mentioned earlier - which is why he should have walked on his second offence. Dirty snide who got away with one and the referee was a gutless bottlejob.

It's funny because if this was against Chelsea or Arsenal or Man City - this is all they would have focussed on on Sky/MOTD and in the newspapers etc etc. How the team playing them got away with it.

I'd be raising this with the referee's association if I was in any sort of capacity at West Ham, no doubt.

He was a gutless bottle job, you're right, but maybe had about 6 or 7 of our players had harangued the ref, he might then have shown more courage to have sent him off. I have seen that sort of behaviour from quite a few teams over the years.
Irrons
Has liked: 1267 likes
Total likes: 255 likes

Post by Irrons »

Puff Daddy wrote:He was a gutless bottle job, you're right, but maybe had about 6 or 7 of our players had harangued the ref, he might then have shown more courage to have sent him off. I have seen that sort of behaviour from quite a few teams over the years.
This is one area where we miss Nolan's presence on the pitch. He would have been baiting the referee the entire time. Honestly if I was on the pitch I'd have made sure I left one or two challenges on McCarthy to let him know he isn't gonna get away with it. Nolan would have done that.

If we truly want to compete with the very best teams in the league we need to have that ruthless side to our game now and again. Can't let dirty teams like Everton target our best player from the off and kick us all over the park. If the referee isn't going to do anything about it, then defend yourself, don't sit there and take it!
Puff Daddy
Gone for a Burton
Has liked: 248 likes
Total likes: 1160 likes

Post by Puff Daddy »

Irrons wrote:

This is one area where we miss Nolan's presence on the pitch. He would have been baiting the referee the entire time. Honestly if I was on the pitch I'd have made sure I left one or two challenges on McCarthy to let him know he isn't gonna get away with it. Nolan would have done that.

If we truly want to compete with the very best teams in the league we need to have that ruthless side to our game now and again. Can't let dirty teams like Everton target our best player from the off and kick us all over the park. If the referee isn't going to do anything about it, then defend yourself, don't sit there and take it!
I totally agree. We need to stop being so naïve and this has to start with the captain. I don't think that Romanian team we played in the Europa Cup qualifiers would have just let them bully us like Everton did. They would have played right up to that ref
Devs Hampton

Post by Devs Hampton »

I have posted numerous times about how much I admire Carroll's abilities, they just continue to not be the abilities suited to our squad, arguably not even the modern game. He is a blinding impact sub and given the mind numbing finances in the PL it may not even be silly to to pay the wages he gets to rescue/consolidate our position in games late on. I am quite sure he would not see it that way but for me that is the position we need another top quality player in to start games
Up the Junction
Thinks he owns the place
Has liked: 748 likes
Total likes: 3446 likes

Post by Up the Junction »

Pulls up Trees wrote:Has anyone got a link to the bit of skill from Payet where he passed while looking the other way, which led to Cresswell's shot?
No, but I've got this: https://twitter.com/BLarsenAFC1886/stat ... 56/video/1
cockney hammer
Resident badge expert
Has liked: 1 like
Total likes: 143 likes

Post by cockney hammer »

class
carnage
Has liked: 84 likes
Total likes: 707 likes

Post by carnage »

the pink palermo wrote:
We have to invest in January .One top drawer absolutely world class player .One .

Could make the difference .
Sullivan said a couple of weeks ago the Club need to aim big. As I said at the time I hope he realises "the club" includes him, and more importantly his wallet.
Yea Why Not
Location: Chips & Gravy you say? Well you can shove that up your ass

Post by Yea Why Not »

I think McCarthy's a really good player personally. It sounds a bit extreme but I'd have Arsenal as title favourites if they had him
upton o'good
Has liked: 7 likes
Total likes: 120 likes

Post by upton o'good »

James P wrote:Tomkins was superb. A really accomplished performance. You wouldn't believe he was the same guy who all but air kicked for the second goal at Vicarage Road.

For me, he and Reid were massively at fault for the goal. If thy defend properly we win 1 0. On balance I blame Reid more, as he was the defender who should have been between Lukaku and goal [break was right side of centre].. But both of them watched Lukaku run past and old reacted when they realised the ball might reach him. Top defenders don't do that.

Oh, and like others, I was shocked at how many challenges the ref allowed. I know you cant surround him without incurring a "failure to control your players" charge. But we should be in the refs ear more.
Last edited by upton o'good on Sun Nov 08, 2015 11:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
hessa
Has liked: 68 likes
Total likes: 11 likes

Post by hessa »

Pulls up Trees wrote:Has anyone got a link to the bit of skill from Payet where he passed while looking the other way, which led to Cresswell's shot?
Its in the highlights of link below.

http://www.fullmatchesandshows.com/2015 ... ighlights/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
pharaoh
Has liked: 3 likes

Post by pharaoh »

The ball was given away by Payet, and caught out the central defence…this was down to a great ball by Deulofeu and excellent play by Lukaku. I suppose every goal scored and conceded would be down to some error but at times you also have to credit the opposition. Tomkins and Reid played really well together and got caught out once. the biggest failure was not to make more chances, we still have a way to go to break down defensive opposition and will have to learn to do this at times without Payet pulling the strings. He will get knocks and injuries.