Tottenham 4-1 West Ham Utd (22/11/15)

Relive every moment of every first team game since the beginning of the 2005/06 season. Our archive of matchday threads originally posted in the General Discussion Forum.

Moderator: Gnome

Het-Field
Location: Its great to be Irish, but its a miracle to be a Dub
Has liked: 25 likes
Total likes: 322 likes

Re: Tottenham v West Ham Utd : Match Thread

Post by Het-Field »

a86 wrote:did spurs have better quality? no
did spurs have a stronger squad? no
did spurs work hard? yes
did spurs close down our players? yes
did spurs play with a high tempo? yes

Fair Play to the Tottenham players but most importantly fair play to the manager.
If they play like that every week they will win the league.... and my stomach just churned saying that.
Im sorry, by that is too simplistic to be correct. A team doesn't lose 4-1, absent their two most creative outlets, and can legitimately claim that the other team is not of a higher quality. Yesterday, we were devoid of any quality, and there were more than enough players on the Spurs side that we would be delighted to have at WHU. Dier and Ali totally outplayed Noble, while Carroll was effectively schooled in opportunistic striking by Kane. Equally, our backline was a shambles, while two of Spurs' got on the scoresheet, with Vertongen having an easy afternoon off Carroll and Sakho.
Crouchend_Hammer
Has liked: 137 likes
Total likes: 2357 likes

Post by Crouchend_Hammer »

To say Spurs don't have better quality than us is just crazy talk
With the exception of Reid and Payet, i don't think any of our players would get in their strongest eleven. There is not much in it in some cases i.e Rose and Cresswell, but overall they have better quality in all areas, and more depth. Not surprising either given the money they have spent
sendô
Location: rubbing my eyes in disbelief - we've won a European trophy!
Has liked: 2426 likes
Total likes: 2637 likes

Post by sendô »

Re Rose, he's actually bang average but gets away with it because he has pace.

Walker on the other side of course is streets ahead of Jenks.
jacko
Has liked: 60 likes
Total likes: 149 likes

Post by jacko »

We were holding our own until the goal. From that point they did tend to bully us a bit which is never nice to see. Carroll works hard but he needs service.

What the spurs loving media forget to mention is that there was a touch of good fortune about the 1st and the 3rd goal but that sounds like sour grapes.

We simply have to stop gifting goals.

I didn't actually think spurs looked amazing but they were too good on the day.
Luke (THFC)

Post by Luke (THFC) »

jacko wrote:We were holding our own until the goal. From that point they did tend to bully us a bit which is never nice to see. Carroll works hard but he needs service.

What the spurs loving media forget to mention is that there was a touch of good fortune about the 1st and the 3rd goal but that sounds like sour grapes.

We simply have to stop gifting goals.

I didn't actually think spurs looked amazing but they were too good on the day.
I read this morning that we had 12 shots on target which is the highest number in the PL this season, that was as well as hitting the post and the bar with two other efforts and having another 5 shots blocked. That is rather a lot of chances in a single game.
Estuary
Has liked: 278 likes
Total likes: 117 likes

Post by Estuary »

I didn't actually think spurs looked amazing but they were too good on the day
I don't want to see "amazing" if that Spuds performance was just "to good". That's the best we have faced this season by a mile.
All three of the goals conceded had an element of fortune about them, but they made that luck through their own effort and execution. 1st goal Kane made the run in to follow up the shot from which a fortunate ricochet made a chance for him, Jenks had played him onside which was our error, but Kane rolled him easily and scored. The 2nd their centre half makes a school boy near post run along the six yard line and Reid is on his heels and losses the guy, good header, goal. The third was an embarrassing error from Tomkins who decided to play short into a crowded midfield rather than hit a longer pass, fortunate again for Spuds, but Eriksen and Kane were alive to a chance falling in to their laps and its game over.
Ultimately it was how well they played when they didn't have the ball that was so impressive and gave us a severe case of the jitters when in possession, they pressed two and three at a time, and high up the pitch, they covered all our runs, and didn't let up, our lads couldn't handle the pressure.
We had been in it for twenty minutes, that was when we were matching their effort, once we throttled off there was only ever going to be one winner, and at times I feared we would get done by 5 or 6-0, happily that didn't happen, but it was still a lesson, we played just as bad at Watford, but they didn't have the players to take the game away like Spuds did.
sutts07
Has liked: 24 likes
Total likes: 539 likes

Post by sutts07 »

a86 wrote:did spurs have better quality? no
did spurs have a stronger squad? no
did spurs work hard? yes
did spurs close down our players? yes
did spurs play with a high tempo? yes
Come on a86, they had more quality and a stronger squad on the day and then they worked harder, closed us down more and played with a higher tempo after going in front.

We were well beaten in this game, a shadow of the side that beat Liverpool away so convincingly (which not too ironically, was a West Ham side that ticked all of the boxes above).

Our first choice XI playing well this season will be a tough game for anyone! As soon as we have to chop and change it a little bit and and/or come up against a side absolutely buzzing or bang in form, we are susceptible to a beating.

That is just where we are at right now. It is a far cry from 'those p***** will have a 60k seater in the championship' and an equally far cry from 'we can win the league'.
ryanrc

Post by ryanrc »

Hmmm, not sure I completely agree that our squad is miles off theirs. For me, Ogbonna, Reid, Cresswell (maybe), Kouyate, Lanzini, Payet and Sakho could all get into their team. Alderweirdname, Lloris, Erickson and Kane would be guaranteed starters if you merged our squads, Payet and Lanzini from ours. They probably just edge a few more positions and the rest are up for grabs. They are a good team, and a couple of years ahead of us, but once our team properly gels I don't think we're miles off of them. Kouyate Song and lanzini in the middle should be matching Dier, Alli and Dembele IMO.

They were incredibly well drilled on Saturday, had the right tactics and played with a high intensity. Slav got it wrong this time, but long term I think we're on a very good track.
Colours never run
Location: "Be in no doubt, we are part of the most successful stadium migration in history"
Has liked: 6811 likes
Total likes: 2363 likes

Post by Colours never run »

As well as the formation not looking quite right with who we played against Spirs, the other key factor I thought as to why we lost so woefully was in preparation. The mentality of the team just didn't seem right and looked ill prepared by the manager going into the game. It surprised me as I usually associate Bilic with the right prep but far too many players didn't look like they were in the right frame of mind as to how we were going to compete against Spurs, let along gain a result. Spurs on the other hand seemed very well prepared and with the exact right attitude when playing us.

I like to think that's more of a one-off rather than a trend so won't lose too much sleep about it. Just have to suck it up and move on to the next game with possibly a change in formation that suits us more right now with Payet and Valencia out.
Beavis Danzig
Has liked: 3 likes
Total likes: 733 likes

Post by Beavis Danzig »

Colours never run wrote:As well as the formation not looking quite right with who we played against Spirs, the other key factor I thought as to why we lost so woefully was in preparation. The mentality of the team just didn't seem right and looked ill prepared by the manager going into the game. It surprised me as I usually associate Bilic with the right prep but far too many players didn't look like they were in the right frame of mind as to how we were going to compete against Spurs, let along gain a result. Spurs on the other hand seemed very well prepared and with the exact right attitude when playing us.
someone made the point that for all the talk of the spurs players being worn out by international duty, they looked far more switched on from the first to the 90th minute than our lads who had been off on a jolly to dubai amongst other places.
sutts07

Post by sutts07 »

What happened to the sub thread about the off field incidents at this game?
DDHammer

Post by DDHammer »

sutts07 wrote:What happened to the sub thread about the off field incidents at this game?
Probably deleted as it was turning into an argument about who has thrown more bar stools at each other in the past.
mumbles87
Has liked: 55 likes
Total likes: 935 likes

Post by mumbles87 »

ryanrc wrote:Hmmm, not sure I completely agree that our squad is miles off theirs. For me, Ogbonna, Reid, Cresswell (maybe), Kouyate, Lanzini, Payet and Sakho could all get into their team. Alderweirdname, Lloris, Erickson and Kane would be guaranteed starters if you merged our squads, Payet and Lanzini from ours. They probably just edge a few more positions and the rest are up for grabs. They are a good team, and a couple of years ahead of us, but once our team properly gels I don't think we're miles off of them. Kouyate Song and lanzini in the middle should be matching Dier, Alli and Dembele IMO.

They were incredibly well drilled on Saturday, had the right tactics and played with a high intensity. Slav got it wrong this time, but long term I think we're on a very good track.
Reid and Ogbonna could only get in this team with an injury to their first choice 2 pairing. They probably have the best central defensive partnership in the league bar possibly Kompany and Ottewini at citeh .. other than that definately the best
sutts07

Post by sutts07 »

^^^ Cheers DDHammer... Sure it will come back with the correct tone (ie, help the met in their man hunt) after all those comments are deleted and posters banned or warned.
irving boleyn
Has liked: 61 likes
Total likes: 82 likes

Post by irving boleyn »

While choosing the primarily attacking Lanzini,Moses,Carroll and Sakho. Bilic should have reigned Noble in to a joint holding role with Kayoute.. Instead he was hovering just behind the front two and couldnt influence the defense as he normally does..
DDHammer

Post by DDHammer »

irving boleyn wrote:While choosing the primarily attacking Lanzini,Moses,Carroll and Sakho. Bilic should have reigned Noble in to a joint holding role with Kayoute.. Instead he was hovering just behind the front two and couldnt influence the defense as he normally does..
Unless I imagined it, there was one point when Noble was almost level with Carroll fairly deep in their half whilst they were moving the ball around in the middle. Looked dodgy to me at the time, did anyone else see it?
-DL-
Bag Man
Has liked: 837 likes
Total likes: 4952 likes

Post by -DL- »

sutts07 wrote:What happened to the sub thread about the off field incidents at this game?
It's been moved for the time being.