Tottenham 4-1 West Ham Utd (22/11/15)

Relive every moment of every first team game since the beginning of the 2005/06 season. Our archive of matchday threads originally posted in the General Discussion Forum.

Moderator: Gnome

sutts07
Has liked: 24 likes
Total likes: 539 likes

Tottenham 4-1 West Ham Utd (22/11/15)

Post by sutts07 »

16:00 Sunday
22nd November 2015
live on Sky Sports One

Seems like a long way off for a match thread but I didn't see one and wanted to flag up this price!

West Ham are a very tempting 5/1 with PaddyPower for this trip to North London, especially considering the away form already shown this season.

Tottenham are 5th in the table closely followed by West Ham in 6th. Both have played 12 and racked up 21 points and West Ham have actually scored more goals so far, however Spurs have been a lot tighter at the back giving them a better overall goal difference. Something We need to be mindful of, they won't be easy to break down.

Collins is suspended but with a bit of luck ALL other players in the squad could be available for this. We will certainly be hoping that Payet, Valencia and Sakho have all made a 100% recovery, but Song has also earmarked this game as his comeback.

Last season's corresponding fixture saw West Ham miss out on all 3 points with a 96th minute penalty rebound from Harry Kane. The penalty should technically have been the last kick of the match as there were only 5 minutes of additional time added but he was allowed to follow in and grab a point for Spurs after his penalty was initially saved. Goals from Sakho and Kouyate had given us a 2 goal lead after an hour but we just couldn't hold out.
Last edited by sutts07 on Mon Nov 09, 2015 6:41 am, edited 2 times in total.
dodger
Location: Scotland / London / Japan / somewhere in between the 3
Has liked: 277 likes
Total likes: 404 likes

Re: Tottenham v WEST HAM UNITED : Match Thread

Post by dodger »

They are a good side playing well, but actually think their style of play will suit us.
They are a possession team and we are best on the break or during short sustained periods of pressure.

Come on West Ham, time to beat the fifth of the so-called 'top six'. I reckon 1-2.
sutts07

Tottenham v West Ham Utd : Match Thread

Post by sutts07 »

Baring any Chadwell Heath setbacks (not impossible), I think we can be pretty sure that we will see...

-------------------- Adrian --------------------
Jenkinson Tomkins Reid Cresswell

From there... who knows! Depends on how our lot recover from their knocks and i can't really see Song coming straight in as a starter.

I would personally drop Moses and Carroll if we had a fully fit squad and go with either...

------------ Kouyate Obiang ------------
Payet --------- Noble --------- Lanzini
------------------ Sakho --------------------

Or even...

----------------- Obiang -------------------
----------- Kouyate Noble --------------
------------------ Payet --------------------
------------ Sakho Valencia ------------

But that 2nd line up would be very harsh on little Lanzini... so I would go with the first. Massively important international break for us, hope that we keep all of our lads here and get them up to speed. I honestly think we will really struggle to score against this lot unless Sakho, Payet and Valencia are all available.
Captain Slaphead
Has liked: 22 likes
Total likes: 44 likes

Re: Tottenham v West Ham Utd : Match Thread

Post by Captain Slaphead »

sutts07 wrote: I honestly think we will really struggle to score against this lot unless Sakho, Payet and Valencia are all available.
Their defence looked really poor in the air against L'Arse yesterday -- could be another game where Carroll could have a big impact from the bench ?
sutts07

Post by sutts07 »

Captain Slaphead wrote:Their defence looked really poor in the air against L'Arse yesterday -- could be another game where Carroll could have a big impact from the bench ?
Think he would be an ideal option to go on and cause havoc in the last 25mins against anyone. Sakho and Valencia run them ragged for 75mins and then they get hit with the physical test of Carroll which allows Sakho a bit more room and a few knock downs.
hammers92
Has liked: 317 likes
Total likes: 1748 likes

Post by hammers92 »

This is a game where the most important thing is to avoid defeat. These two games against Everton and Spurs are, if we want to finish top 6, teams that will be there as well so the key is to just take points from it however they arrive. We've got something from Everton which is better than most years and we now need to get something from them. To come through these two games without defeat would really show our metal and that we're serious about hanging around this year.

As for the line up I've been disappointed in Billic the last two games and I thought he got his tactics very wrong. If Carroll is left up top by himself for this then I think it's game over already, either he needs a strike partner or find someone else who's better equipped at fulfilling the Sakho role. This will be a cracker of a game I reckon. 3-3 I'm going for
Last edited by hammers92 on Mon Nov 09, 2015 7:35 am, edited 1 time in total.
Modern
Has liked: 10 likes
Total likes: 66 likes

Post by Modern »

Really could be a classic this one, we're clearly both good but in quite different ways. Lamela suspended for us which I think is a huge loss for us, he is the embodiment of the 'Pochettino press'.

Payet I am excited to see how we do against him, clearly a special player, Lanzini too. If Spurs are to have success we must continue as we started against Arsenal and impose ourselves physically think your side probably edges it on flair so Spurs have to make sure they work twice as hard.

This game last season was brutal for us and we really looked poor, Koyate was amazing that day if I remember. I've read on here a bit recently that he hasn't been too hot and lacked a bit of positional discipline I hope that's true.

Be interesting too if Bilic opts for Carroll, Neville was making it clear he thought Spurs struggled with balls in to the box, we should certainly get an answer to that if AC plays.
sutts07

Post by sutts07 »

Modern wrote:Payet I am excited to see how we do against him, clearly a special player
Do you think Dier will be given a job with him?
Modern wrote:This game last season was brutal for us and we really looked poor, Koyate was amazing that day if I remember. I've read on here a bit recently that he hasn't been too hot and lacked a bit of positional discipline I hope that's true.
He has been made to sit a lot deeper and I personally do not think we see the best of him there. He was superb at it against Palace away, won everything and protected the back four, but seems very uninterested in doing that job. It is like City telling Yaya to not cross the half way line (on a lesser scale of course).
Modern wrote:Be interesting too if Bilic opts for Carroll, Neville was making it clear he thought Spurs struggled with balls in to the box, we should certainly get an answer to that if AC plays.
Not necessarily. We could put great balls into the box and Carroll wouldn't be in the correct position or react quick enough to beat your CB's to the ball. I think he could cause you untold problems if it is tight and we throw him on late in the game though. We have good delivery from all over the pitch now.
Georgee Paris
Location: The Amazing Adventures of Wicked Willy & Fearless Steve
Has liked: 496 likes
Total likes: 1038 likes

Post by Georgee Paris »

I think Tottenham are only higher than us on account of having the easier opening fixtures. They seem quite boring and functional which we will either blow aside or get dragged down to their level. Kane will score 2 but we will score 4 or 5. Maybe more.
HomertonSpur2

Post by HomertonSpur2 »

Another big game in a tough November.

I never though I would hear myself say Lamela will be a big loss for us but he will be. Fits Poch's style to a tee.

Bentaleb could be back but he has been surpassed by Dier who has been an absolute revelation this season. Dier has fast become a fan favourite.
Son should hopefully be closer to full fitness. Still looked off the pace when he came on yest.

Fazio would be our best bet to combat the aerial threat of Carroll but he is SO slow and we can't break up the Vertonghen - Alderweireld partnership which has done so well for us so far.

Kane will score in a 2-1 Spurs win.
Yea Why Not
Location: Chips & Gravy you say? Well you can shove that up your ass

Post by Yea Why Not »

HomertonSpur2 wrote:
Fazio would be our best bet to combat the aerial threat of Carroll but he is SO slow and we can't break up the Vertonghen - Alderweireld partnership which has done so well for us so far.
No need to worry. We've seen Carroll have one maybe two good cross to work with in the last three weeks. I'd like to think we could get a few more in against you but I'm not holding my breath
HomertonSpur2

Post by HomertonSpur2 »

I hate this game so much. I refuse to talk to Woolwich and don't actually know any CFC fans so results of those games are bearable or can be swerved.

There are too many Hammers at work and in the family to be avoided. A must win for bragging rights.
ryanrc

Post by ryanrc »

This will be a really tough game, I rate spurs and I rate Pochettino. They have some players coming into form and we have some of our better players in the physio room. If Payet and Sakho are out I reckon they'll nick it by one goal.
Knighter10WHU
Has liked: 154 likes
Total likes: 193 likes

Post by Knighter10WHU »

Pleased to see Lamela is suspended for the game in a couple of weeks, he looked very decent against Arsenal yesterday.
ObiangKenobi

Post by ObiangKenobi »

Tough game for us as we haven't looked convincing this season against high-pressing teams like Bournemouth, Leicester or Norwich.
Puff Daddy
Gone for a Burton
Has liked: 248 likes
Total likes: 1160 likes

Post by Puff Daddy »

Think this will be a high intensity game, gripping, edge of the seat stuff, great football from both sides, compelling viewing
dodger
Location: Scotland / London / Japan / somewhere in between the 3
Has liked: 277 likes
Total likes: 404 likes

Post by dodger »

Georgee Paris wrote:I think Tottenham are only higher than us on account of having the easier opening fixtures. They seem quite boring and functional which we will either blow aside or get dragged down to their level. Kane will score 2 but we will score 4 or 5. Maybe more.
Would love you to be right mate but am afraid most of what you said there just isn't true.
'Their level' smashed Man City and was better than Arsenal yesterday.
And looking at their upcoming fixtures, reckon they're comfortably easier than ours, meaning they must have played as tough/tougher teams so far.
White Goodman
Making excuses in A&E
Has liked: 254 likes
Total likes: 276 likes

Post by White Goodman »

Puff Daddy wrote:Think this will be a high intensity game, gripping, edge of the seat stuff, great football from both sides, compelling viewing
You are Ron Manager from the Fast Show and I claim my five pounds
artlin

Post by artlin »

Our formation is 4 2 3 1 so you have to fit the players into that. No good going for fancy 4 1 2 2 1 formations.
Crouchend_Hammer
Has liked: 137 likes
Total likes: 2353 likes

Post by Crouchend_Hammer »

I am very concerned about this fixture in all truth.
Although we have picked up many unexpected wins on the road i think this is the toughest one yet as Spurs are a team playing very well, and high on confidence.
The return to form of the strong and athletic Dembele seems to be a real bonus for them as he compliments the defensive Dier and the more creative but lightweight Dele Alli.
I think we will get beat with a full strength team, but would really like Sakho to be back for this to at least give their back four a work out and get in behind the full backs who do push up (especially Rose)