West Ham Utd 1-1 West Bromwich Albion (29/11/15)

Relive every moment of every first team game since the beginning of the 2005/06 season. Our archive of matchday threads originally posted in the General Discussion Forum.

Moderator: Gnome

aitchayell
Total likes: 1 like

Re: West Ham United Vs West Bromwich Albion

Post by aitchayell »

Once West Brom upped their game from woeful to decidedly average we couldn't cope.
jaybs
Has liked: 21 likes
Total likes: 8 likes

Post by jaybs »

Not sure what both Carroll or Jelavic bring? from the bench on yesterday's performance, they are simply not good enough, just hope the injury is not too bad, as many have said we should have had the game tied up at half time, weak second half, but draw is not a loss.
claretchris
Has liked: 18 likes
Total likes: 85 likes

Post by claretchris »

When we are on the front foot it looks good, attacking as one, just like Slav says. When it comes to being on the back foot however, not so rosy. We only had 3/4 defensive minded players in the team, Adrian, Reid, Ogbonna and Obiang (when he was on the pitch). Think I'd like to see Tomkins given another chance at right back to add a bit of solidity.
hammers92
Has liked: 314 likes
Total likes: 1786 likes

Post by hammers92 »

jaybs wrote:Not sure what both Carroll or Jelavic bring? from the bench on yesterday's performance, they are simply not good enough, just hope the injury is not too bad, as many have said we should have had the game tied up at half time, weak second half, but draw is not a loss.
I'm not a fan of Carroll, primarily because of his injury record but having him come off the bench is a great asset to have. You cannot say he's not good enough when in four sub appearances he has 2 assists and one goal. I bet you got annoyed that he scored against Chelsea....
sutts07
Has liked: 24 likes
Total likes: 547 likes

Post by sutts07 »

aitchayell wrote:Once West Brom upped their game from woeful to decidedly average we couldn't cope.
We made them look average with our hard work and running off the ball. That all stopped and we allowed them to get in to the game.
swash
Has liked: 141 likes
Total likes: 196 likes

Post by swash »

Surprised Moses is getting an easy ride on here, for me he was the least effective player in claret and blue yesterday, being up against cumbersome centre backs being played at full back should have been a golden opportunity, but for me he achieved the sum total of nothing.

On current form him and Jenkinson have zero chance of getting in their parent teams starting XI's
Absolutely Hammered!
Has liked: 63 likes
Total likes: 255 likes

Post by Absolutely Hammered! »

Our football is just too slow at the moment which means we cant create enough clear cut chances but I'm sure we'll improve. Our football will be at its best when we have Sakho and Valencia making diagonal runs at the same time giving Lanzini and the likes options to pick various passes when we break forwards. Too often Sakho was surrounded by 3 Centre half's which made his day tough, but he did pretty well nonetheless.
rciron
Has liked: 297 likes
Total likes: 16 likes

Post by rciron »

Billydinho wrote:Can someone tell Jenkinson the nasty WBA players have gone now and he can come out?
:lol:
Yabish
Has liked: 19 likes
Total likes: 20 likes

Post by Yabish »

Ogbonna was the highlight for me, glad he's back.
giantsteps

Post by giantsteps »

I thought West Brom were really poor, probably the poorest side we've faced at the BG this season. I said at half-time we'd rue those chances we'd missed in the first half and we did. They brought on Lambert and got lucky with a fluke goal which then galvanised their team.

We were then lucky to stay in it really. I thought they could of put us to the sword and probably would of done if it wasn't for a great save from Adrian. But when Sakho went off and we were relying on a Carroll and Jelavic strike force I knew we wouldn't get a winner. Fair play to the midfield, I thought they gave it a go. Lanzini, Zarate and Antonio were the stand-outs for me. Moses had a poor game imo, Reid and Ogbonna at the back looked pretty solid.

Any news on Sakho's injury? I heard (and hope) it was just muscular.
Rio
Ronnie Biggs was here
Has liked: 164 likes
Total likes: 1112 likes

Post by Rio »

Let's look at the positives rather than the negatives.

Once again we haven't conceded through the opposition being too good for us. Better still we didn't gift their goal. Flukes count.

Stunning free kick from Zarate. Who after some decidedly iffy passing early on, grew into the game. Even put in some good defensive cover.

Obiang looked calm, composed and a class above a certain suspended player. Excellent covering.

Liked the look of Ogbonna again. Think him & Reid will be our best pairing at the back.

We're never going to be coerced into splashing out an extortionate amount of cash on Jenks or Moses

Some great interplay in the first half. Lanzini is. Joy to watch at times.

Adrian made some absolutely great saves.

Pulls is a horrible boss to play against. We've never quite got the hang of beating him no matter who's in charge (see also Martinez). Yes it was disappointing not to win, but we didn't lose when I think last season we would have caved. Would have loved to seen how we operated with Sakho & Carroll up front, but Diaffras injury altered the way we were forced to operate. It was probably the first time this season we haven't created a stack of chances at home.

We're progressing, we're playing a far better style than last season. Onwards & upwards chaps. I have a good feeling about Saturday
Aceface
Has liked: 377 likes
Total likes: 1472 likes

Post by Aceface »

All good points Rio. Agree with the lot of them.

Despite Reid getting the dreaded OG next to his name - albeit a freak deflection after a handball from Fletcher - I still liked the look of Ogbonna and him as a pair, as I have nearly every time they've been paired outside of the team meltdown against Bournemouth.
S-H
Has liked: 5738 likes
Total likes: 9654 likes

Post by S-H »

I also agree Reid and Ogbonna look very good together..

Tomkins should be put in at right back though.. Jenkinson is our week link everything he did yesterday was poor and he is clearly lacking confidence a simple 2 yard pass to moses or Antonio and he put it out for a throw, he never really gets the ball under control either and makes everything he does look awkward.. he works hard but is not good enough I'm afraid. Not worth anywhere near what arsenal are wanting for him.
Cardiff here we come.....
Has liked: 108 likes
Total likes: 126 likes

Post by Cardiff here we come..... »

I think 1st half we were excellent. Should of been 3-0 up at the break. Second half was disappointing but overall we can still take away a lot of positives e.g. Lanzini again, Zarate goal & 1st half performance, partnership of Ogbonna & Reid & Adrian in goal.

I would have started with Tomkins rather than Jenkinson who is having a total mare this season. Having a think about this & why has he turned into dog t*rd overnight? I think its all down to motivation.

Yes, Bilic is playing a different system but his form cannot be down to that or that he's turned into Gus Caesar. Signing a big fat new extension to his Arsenal contract has not helped us in any way, shape or form. The bloke had something to prove last season(maybe a possible contract with us), Why should he give a f**k this season? Personal pride? Most definitely but some footballers don't care as long as they are financially secure & the money is rolling in. E.g. Adebayor at Sp*rs.

Same can be said for Victor Moses. Why sign a player that has committed another 5 years to Chelsea? Again what does he need to prove to the West Ham faithful? Nothing. If it all goes t*ts up, he goes back to Chelsea. Both Jenks & Moses seem to be going through the motions & end product is lacking. Look at the amount of players we have signed after playing brilliantly on loan & then awful after putting pen to paper.

Early lesson to learn this season( towards Sullivan) is never, ever sign a player on loan that has just signed a deal at his parent club. If a player does sign on loan it must be subject to us signing the player full time. E.g. Lanzini
Knighter10WHU
Has liked: 153 likes
Total likes: 194 likes

Post by Knighter10WHU »

I am surprised Obiang isn't getting more plaudits for his performance, I thought he was excellent in the first half and controlled the ball well for us, best player on the pitch for me in the first half, I hope he makes the DM position his own now.
woodford
Has liked: 421 likes
Total likes: 307 likes

Post by woodford »

swash wrote:Surprised Moses is getting an easy ride on here, for me he was the least effective player in claret and blue yesterday, being up against cumbersome centre backs being played at full back should have been a golden opportunity, but for me he achieved the sum total of nothing.

On current form him and Jenkinson have zero chance of getting in their parent teams starting XI's

Agree 100%, not sure how this guy appears to be a nailed on starter.
Johnzo
Has liked: 4 likes
Total likes: 3 likes

Post by Johnzo »

kayahammer wrote:First half was what we all hoped for under Slav.

2nd half was what we expected from Sam.

If only we'd bagged another of the many chances in the first half.

Very unlucky
Agree with this, just unsure why we changed tactics and played with Caroll and Jelavic! I'm not a Sam hater, nor his tactics, and I don't believe you can be successful with a club our size without being able to mix it up. But surely you don't try to beat a team like WBA at their own game? We were never going to score from a corner, cross etc. against such a defensively sound side. It was akin to trying to outplay Arsenal at the Emirates (although I suppose we did do that didn't we :D )
Kludgehammer
Has liked: 178 likes
Total likes: 203 likes

Post by Kludgehammer »

Knighter10WHU wrote:I am surprised Obiang isn't getting more plaudits for his performance, I thought he was excellent in the first half and controlled the ball well for us, best player on the pitch for me in the first half, I hope he makes the DM position his own now.
Same here - I thought the Obiang / Kayoute combination worked really well in the first half, maybe not so well in the early 2nd half, then Obiang got subbed.
Beavis Danzig
Has liked: 3 likes
Total likes: 782 likes

Post by Beavis Danzig »

obiang and lanzini are the future of our club's midfield. they'll be in their prime when song, mauro, payet and nobes are ready to for a trip to MLS.
ohsnap
Has liked: 5 likes
Total likes: 7 likes

Post by ohsnap »

As others have said I knew when we went in at half time 1-0 up we would regret not making the most of a good half and having at least a 2-0 lead. Didn't expect it to be scored like that but you could just tell it was going to be one of them games that we won't win.

+'s for me

*Ogbonna had a great game and I can't remember him doing anything wrong (might be wrong though)
*Obiang looked great too, whats this only his 2nd or 3rd time playing for us in the PL? Hope he doesn't lose his spot with Noble back next week
*Adrian kept us in the game with some great saves - lucky we have him or we could of been leaving empty handed

-'ves

-Jenkinson is totally shot of confidence. I won't slate him but he doesn't look half as good as should be
-Moses was disappointing, he reminds me of Jarvis in a sense that when he has the ball he just tries to do the same thing over and over and usually fails
-the atmosphere inside UP was the worst I can remember in a while, very little atmosphere. Don't think it helped that literally the only time the WBA fans made any noise was when they scored. Other than that only about 5 of them chanted during the game. Although the old guy offering people outside was pretty funny :lol: