West Ham Utd 1-1 West Bromwich Albion (29/11/15)

Relive every moment of every first team game since the beginning of the 2005/06 season. Our archive of matchday threads originally posted in the General Discussion Forum.

Moderator: Gnome

Doc H Ball
Has liked: 917 likes
Total likes: 1919 likes

Re: West Ham United Vs West Bromwich Albion

Post by Doc H Ball »

I must be in a minority, but I thought it was a good game.

We had an excellent first half, the football between Zarate and Lanzini was fantastic and we saw the best free kick since Carlitos. We could easily have gone in 3:0 up and then the game would have been safe and people would be crowing.

But... they get a really jammy goal, Lambert chucked himself about and we suffered another bad injury. All part of the rich tapestry of misfortune.

I thought Adrian made an amazing stop, the CHs were excellent all day, Obiang came in after injury and didn't look remotely out of place, Zarate grows with each game, Lanzini is top drawer and Sakho is such a great worker. Oh, and we're still easily top half.

Other than that, it was ****.
The Gibbins
Maggot infested twat
Total likes: 10 likes

Post by The Gibbins »

I have just come back from holiday so watched the game without knowing the result.

It really was a game of two halves. West Brom were absolutely diabolical first half, and we really should have been at least 2 goals ahead. You are always running the threat of letting a team back in it even if they are playing like that. Lanzini and Zarate were a joy to watch.
West Brom had no support for Rondon and it left a massive gap to pick the ball up deep and play through them.

I have to say though, second half was very bad... we quite clearly struggled with their 4-4-2. But on top of that i think Billic got his tactics well and truly wrong second week in a row. The subs, all of them bar Sakho just baffled me. I cant even get my head around the shape we had....4-1-3-2 narrow?... with two immobile centre forwards :? This is not a dig at Andy Carroll/Jelavic but again the way we lined up it just didn't suit the subs and Kouyate was on his own shielding the defence.
I think the tactics took our two bright sparks out of the game. We could have kept the same shape, put Song on for obiang who was fairly average at best, or taken off Moses for Antonio earlier on as i thought Moses was well off par again.

I just watched that game thinking we were fantastic first half, but second half many things just left me shaking my head. Billic in the second half was like watching an 8 year old play Championship Manager.
Last edited by The Gibbins on Sun Nov 29, 2015 10:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Galtech

Post by Galtech »

Billydinho wrote:Can someone tell Jenkinson the nasty WBA players have gone now and he can come out?

Don't get me wrong, Jenkinson hasn't been playing well, but for the past two games with Sakho/Moses playing in front of him, he's had no help at all.

This afternoon, on numerous occasions in the 2nd half he was up against two West Brom players, while Moses watched from 30 yards away.

You can't then expect the guy to go on a marauding run knowing that if we lose the ball, there's no cover at right back. Compared to last season he's hardly getting forward at all. To a lesser extent Creswell too.
Oldun
Has liked: 165 likes
Total likes: 566 likes

Post by Oldun »

Doc H Ball wrote:I must be in a minority, but I thought it was a good game.

We had an excellent first half, the football between Zarate and Lanzini was fantastic and we saw the best free kick since Carlitos. We could easily have gone in 3:0 up and then the game would have been safe and people would be crowing.

But... they get a really jammy goal, Lambert chucked himself about and we suffered another bad injury. All part of the rich tapestry of misfortune.

I thought Adrian made an amazing stop, the CHs were excellent all day, Obiang came in after injury and didn't look remotely out of place, Zarate grows with each game, Lanzini is top drawer and Sakho is such a great worker. Oh, and we're still easily top half.

Other than that, it was ****.
Some people will never understand West Ham Doc.
Kitt the car
Has liked: 13 likes
Total likes: 155 likes

Post by Kitt the car »

Galtech wrote:

Don't get me wrong, Jenkinson hasn't been playing well, but for the past two games with Sakho/Moses playing in front of him, he's had no help at all.

This afternoon, on numerous occasions in the 2nd half he was up against two West Brom players, while Moses watched from 30 yards away.

You can't then expect the guy to go on a marauding run knowing that if we lose the ball, there's no cover at right back. Compared to last season he's hardly getting forward at all. To a lesser extent Creswell too.
I said this previously in this thread and I honestly get more annoyed with team mates ignoring/not helping Jenkinson than when Jenks ****'s up himself!
JoeBurwood

Post by JoeBurwood »

To save me the time and effort I agree with everything Doc H ball Said.

I got my money's out of a 1-1 draw and enjoyed the day.

Pretty much everything we have asked for.
Crossd_Hammrs
Has liked: 364 likes
Total likes: 209 likes

Post by Crossd_Hammrs »

irving boleyn wrote:Ogbonna looked good. Continually checking he was in the right position ..I dont you'll find him being the cause of any goals through ball watching,
Not the Ogbonna I watched.
His positional awareness is as good as his concentration lasts.

But in the first 15 mins of the game he turned his back on the shooting WBA player (ie he ducked out of the way and thus moved himself out of the line of goal), allowing WBA's only first half shot to whizz past him and just wide.
Then fairly early in the second half he (I'm pretty sure it was him) got caught in possession by a player in front of him!

I had been pleased to see him get back into the team though.
Obiang was another bonus. We saw Antonio, at last, too although I didn't get to see the end of the game very closely. If the glimpses I saw of him were an accurate reflection, I think the only thing preventing me from being disappointed with him would be my lack of expectation from him.
Crossd_Hammrs
Has liked: 364 likes
Total likes: 209 likes

Post by Crossd_Hammrs »

Aztec Hammer wrote:Spectacular free kick by Zarate. Knew he was going to score that.

Unfortunately without that goal, we would not have scored from open play. Chances few and far between.

And now with Sakho injured, the task becomes even harder.
upton o'good wrote:Um, Zarate and kouyate missed great opportunities in the first half, to name but two. Could have been out of sight at half time.
Yep, from a few minutes before the free kick we started to create some good chances.
Our finishing was woeful though.
Ironically, we seemed to stop creating when we made the attacking substitutions.
Smonnie
Total likes: 1 like

Post by Smonnie »

hammers92 wrote:
I think it's the position we need to look at the most, can't believe how much his form has dipped
Same goes for both full backs. It's because they are getting significantly less help from their wingers, and because we are playing with one less DCM.
Me ol china

Post by Me ol china »

We should have been out of site by half time & ended up paying for it, I have never really been convinced by Zarate but that first half performance from him was his best since he has been here & along with Lanzini was pulling the strings

Sakho was huge for us again & i am praying that his injury is not as bad as it looks, yes his passing could be better but his energy & hold up play is absolutely top notch, i really fear for us if he is injured long term because Carroll or Jelavic don't give us the same presence

Obiang looked very good & i actually think that Jenks had a much better game today, Reid was a rock & was unlucky for the goal

We really needed the 3 points today to stop the rot but that was all in all a good performance today for me
simon1982
Has liked: 1 like

Post by simon1982 »

Just seen their goal and thought Reid could have stood upright instead of turning his back. Maybe I'm being picky!
Should have been braver imo
arlhe
Has liked: 235 likes
Total likes: 178 likes

Post by arlhe »

Another vote for an enjoyable game. First half we played some lovely stuff on the ground. Second half we got the inevitable reaction from WBA. A freaky equaliser and then chances at both ends.

Decent game and 50 points will still reflect a good season.
Sarfend Hammer
Total likes: 2 likes

Post by Sarfend Hammer »

I do not understand why Jelavic gets into the team at all. Couldn't we give one of the youngsters a run out. I have yet see him have any impact whatsoever. He is just a less impressive Andy Carroll (at the moment that is a pretty low bar). Don't want to pile on Carroll so I will just say that he has lost some of his confidence and looks to be struggling. I have been looking forward to seeing Antonio get a game and was glad to see him brought on. 10 mins was not enough time to show his stuff, maybe give him 30 mins next time.
hongkonghammer

Post by hongkonghammer »

a lot of hash comments and complaints on what i thought was a good game. First half we played beautifully and looked in total control. Lanzini and Zarate were excellent and overall we kept the ball well and kept it on the deck. Only complaint was we didn't get the goals our play deserved, despite creating 4 or 5 very good chances.

Second half their fortunate goal seemed to knock the stuffing out of us and we couldn't keep hold of the ball and keep Lanzini and Zarate in the game, hats off to West Brom partially on that point as they squeezed us at every opportunity.

Despite not picking up a win, far more positives than negatives and we will be a solid top 10 side this year even with Payet out. If we can cut out some of the individual mistakes at the back we can poissbly break the top 8.
kayahammer
Total likes: 5 likes

Post by kayahammer »

First half was what we all hoped for under Slav.

2nd half was what we expected from Sam.

If only we'd bagged another of the many chances in the first half.

Very unlucky
The Old Mile End
Has liked: 8 likes
Total likes: 91 likes

Post by The Old Mile End »

Missed a couple of opportunities to have it won (e.g Kouyate's header) and then lost the momentum in the second half.

Great performance from Lanzini in first half.

Bit quiet really - crowd and players. Conceded a scrappy goal and never raised our game enough to win it.

Need to be up for it next week.
beckton

Post by beckton »

simon1982 wrote:Just seen their goal and thought Reid could have stood upright instead of turning his back. Maybe I'm being picky!

No, you're right. If he doesn't turn his body it hits him in the chest and doesn't go in. You see defenders, even at the top level do it regularly and it is frustrating.
prophet:marginal
Has liked: 836 likes
Total likes: 1980 likes

Post by prophet:marginal »

If Reid had been playing for Pulis, he would have stood still, arm raised, shouting handball in the ref's direction.

A really disappointing goal to concede.
Puff Daddy
Gone for a Burton
Has liked: 248 likes
Total likes: 1160 likes

Post by Puff Daddy »

My expectations for this game were high, I was hoping we would attack from the very start and set the pace and tone for the match. Had we done so and scored a couple of early goals, that would have wrecked Pullis's game plan by coming for a point, and with no contingency Plan 'B', I'm sure we would have won this match. Clearly, my expectations were too high, West Brom kicked off, played a high ball in the direction of Jenks, who momentarily lost control, panicked and just about managed to clear the ball by booting it into the stands. That set the tone for the remainder of the match as we struggled to get support up to our lone striker who showed little movement to shake off West Brom's close marking central defenders
Iron George

Post by Iron George »

simon1982 wrote:Just seen their goal and thought Reid could have stood upright instead of turning his back. Maybe I'm being picky!

Every chance that if it hadn't gone in they would have been awarded a penalty anyway - very similar to the one the Scouse got yesterday