Manchester Utd 0-0 West Ham Utd (05/12/15)

Relive every moment of every first team game since the beginning of the 2005/06 season. Our archive of matchday threads originally posted in the General Discussion Forum.

Moderator: Gnome

Rio
Ronnie Biggs was here
Has liked: 159 likes
Total likes: 1080 likes

Re: Manchester United v West Ham United: Match Thread

Post by Rio »

I don't think Keowns train journeys home will be any more comfortable after coming out with tripe like this

http://www.90min.com/posts/2776428-mart ... k.com.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Kialos
Has liked: 1556 likes
Total likes: 773 likes

Post by Kialos »

I had a trouble free journey, parked up at Ladywell park and ride and £1.90 return to Pomona which is more convenient for the away end. Easy access to M62 and the M6. Will do the same again when driving.

Thought all the team put in creditable shifts, pleased Slav put Tomkins RB. So much better than Jenkinson.
Pity our great chances didn't go in. Reid MOTM for me.
bongo
Has liked: 171 likes
Total likes: 4 likes

Post by bongo »

Good day and night in Manchester.

Great performance with Reid and Noble outstanding and with the Scousers losing stay in 6th for another day COYI :crest:
Bamber Gascoigne
Has liked: 107 likes
Total likes: 40 likes

Post by Bamber Gascoigne »

Rio wrote:I don't think Keowns train journeys home will be any more comfortable after coming out with tripe like this

http://www.90min.com/posts/2776428-mart ... k.com.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Nothing to worry about - just old Monkey head talking out of his baboons ar$e
carnage
Has liked: 84 likes
Total likes: 707 likes

Post by carnage »

We look far more solid with Ogbonna at centre back with Reid.
Beavis Danzig
Has liked: 3 likes
Total likes: 733 likes

Post by Beavis Danzig »

carnage wrote:We look far more solid with Ogbonna at centre back with Reid.
ogbonna has a lot of the qualities kouyate showed when he had his good spell back there, but is a proper centre back with a centre back's brain and awareness.
ryanrc

Post by ryanrc »

So many things pleased me about yesterday. It was bloody relieving to see a clean sheet for starters, and although they had that one clear chance I think it was a clean sheet well earned. We defended very well as a unit and were very well organised. I think we needed to prioritise the defence after recent results so it was good to see slav mix it up (and that we have the squad to be able to do that). I thought we created chances well but my one disappointment was that we were sometimes reluctant to commit going forward, so there would only be one player in the box. Zarate has been a revelation this year and Carroll looks like he's getting better. Every player can hold their head high after that display and go into the Stoke game full of confidence. We looked a bit knocked for confidence early on in the match so hopefully we regained it yesterday, because even without Payet and Sakho we should have enough to beat Stoke. In fact, we should be looking for maximum points from the next few games if we show the same level of determination and commitment as yesterday.
carnage

Post by carnage »

ryanrc wrote:So many things pleased me about yesterday. It was bloody relieving to see a clean sheet for starters.
It certainly was. Something we have only done in the League with Ogbonna in the side.
Lee_WHU

Post by Lee_WHU »

I'm glad you picked up on that carnage, it's something I was just looking through. All our clean sheets (Arsenal, Liverpool, Newcastle, Man Utd) have come with Ogbonna starting at CB :thup:
-DL-
Bag Man
Has liked: 837 likes
Total likes: 4952 likes

Post by -DL- »

Lee_WHU wrote:I'm glad you picked up on that carnage, it's something I was just looking through. All our clean sheets (Arsenal, Liverpool, Newcastle, Man Utd) have come with Ogbonna starting at CB :thup:
And Tomkins starting at right back.
cockney farmer

Post by cockney farmer »

Lee & DL have both picked up on a point me and my lad been discussing all season I am more forgivingthsn him about the best right back I have to hold my hands up ... He is right !
Romford
Big X

Post by Romford »

-DL- wrote:
And Tomkins starting at right back.
Just wish he'd stop a few of the crosses coming in...
carnage

Post by carnage »

Indeed DL, but the reason is Ogbonna at centre back, not Tomkins at right back in my opinion. Any threat Manure had yesterday was down our right.

Tomkins is ok at right back away but we need more from our fullbacks at home.
johnnyb
Has liked: 31 likes
Total likes: 65 likes

Post by johnnyb »

ryanrc wrote:So many things pleased me about yesterday. It was bloody relieving to see a clean sheet for starters, and although they had that one clear chance I think it was a clean sheet well earned. We defended very well as a unit and were very well organised. I think we needed to prioritise the defence after recent results so it was good to see slav mix it up (and that we have the squad to be able to do that). I thought we created chances well but my one disappointment was that we were sometimes reluctant to commit going forward, so there would only be one player in the box. Zarate has been a revelation this year and Carroll looks like he's getting better. Every player can hold their head high after that display and go into the Stoke game full of confidence. We looked a bit knocked for confidence early on in the match so hopefully we regained it yesterday, because even without Payet and Sakho we should have enough to beat Stoke. In fact, we should be looking for maximum points from the next few games if we show the same level of determination and commitment as yesterday.
Stoke played very well yesterday. They have several very creative players these days.
Rocketron
Has liked: 6 likes
Total likes: 50 likes

Post by Rocketron »

carnage wrote:Indeed DL, but the reason is Ogbonna at centre back, not Tomkins at right back in my opinion. Any threat Manure had yesterday was down our right.

Tomkins is ok at right back away but we need more from our fullbacks at home.
I take that as a mistake on their part.
Every other game the main threat has been the opposition targetting Cresswell.
-DL-
Bag Man
Has liked: 837 likes
Total likes: 4952 likes

Post by -DL- »

Romford wrote: Just wish he'd stop a few of the crosses coming in...
Give him time Rom. For a novice RB, he's doing alright.
westham,eggyandchips
Has liked: 1978 likes
Total likes: 1465 likes

Post by westham,eggyandchips »

-DL- wrote:
Give him time Rom. For a novice RB, he's doing alright.
Tomks any day over Jenkinson. He is simply a very poor defender and Slav has just figured it out.....thankfully.
Wilko1304
Location: "Once you start complicating things the end result is less inflatables"
Has liked: 1487 likes
Total likes: 3083 likes

Post by Wilko1304 »

Tomkins over Jenkinson on some days against some teams. Against West Brom he wouldn't have helped stretch the width. Jenkinson might also show the same improvements given the chance to play with three responsible central midfielders covering him.

In games where we will have more of the ball and make more of the play then I think we are more of a threat with a Jenkinson type right back.

Honestly, how does Slaven pick a best side? I cant do it with 11 men! I want 3 of Song, Noble, Kouyate (probably these three) and Obiang. I want 1 striker, but then I want 100% Lanzini and Payet behind him. So no space, likely, for Valencia, Moses, Iron Mic, Zarate, Carroll.

A fully fit squad would have 6 of these outfielders on the bench, and the others not in the squad: Zarate, Carroll, Valencia, Moses, Iron Mic, Obiang, Tomkins, Collins. With our real "reserves" reserves like Joey O'Brien and Jelavic sitting on their thumbs.

Unfortunately, we'll never have that problem as we always have injuries!
Beavis Danzig
Total likes: 733 likes

Post by Beavis Danzig »

if our injuries were spread out evenly through the squad, we'd be laughing.

arsenal have barely got one fit DM, we've got four regular first teamers, one 16 year old wonderkid and one out on loan.
richneal
Location: Vancouver, British Columbia. 5,000 miles from goal.
Total likes: 12 likes

Post by richneal »

My comment here applies to both teams yesterday: nicked a point, easily could have nicked three.

Adrian and Reid stopped a couple that were goal-bound - both did well, really enjoyed both performances yesterday. And nice to see Tomkins doing a good enough job at RB - but if we play him there a lot he'll definitely get targeted by any opposition coach with a pacey tricky winger.

Thought Song was brilliant with the ball at his feet - can't wait to see him paired up with Payet, Lanzini & Sakho come next spring - will be some real rip-roaring-goalscoring highlight reel cameos with those four on the pitch.

Zarate showed what he's got - nice to watch as he can be a game-changer. Biggest issue with him is unwillingness to pass - couple of times he had Cresswell wide open on the wing but always chose to take a player or three on rather than make what I considered to be the simpler but potentially more effective option. You've all seen him do that repeatedly this season, must be really frustrating for the rest of the team.

Happy with the performance and the point, would have taken a point before the match knowing that we didn't have Payet, Sakho & Lanzini . . .