Manchester Utd 0-0 West Ham Utd (05/12/15)

Relive every moment of every first team game since the beginning of the 2005/06 season. Our archive of matchday threads originally posted in the General Discussion Forum.

Moderator: Gnome

Hawaiian hammer

Re: Manchester United v West Ham United: Match Thread

Post by Hawaiian hammer »

Despite not winning only positives from this game. With Payet, Lanzini, Sakho, Valencia, Obiang and Jenkinson not starting it shows how much the squad depth has improved and how important it is. Reid just edged the Man Utd goal post for MoTM.
jaybs
Has liked: 21 likes
Total likes: 8 likes

Post by jaybs »

What a great performance! after all the stomach churning in the morning before the short drive on the M62. The defence was so much better, thought even if many here don't agree Mark Noble made a difference back as captain, players seem to respect him and you say him talk to Antonio when he came on, would like to see him given more playing time! the pass from Noble to Moses was spot on.

But the real start was Reid! just amazing gave everything, he should be vice captain, but I wonder if his role takes enough out of him to be captain for a few years to come

Any other day Zárate would have taken those chances, still rate him, wonder why FS would never give him the chance.

Carroll was even better, but he is still not good enough a striker for me, when the injuries are over? he would be back to the bench for me.

Settled for a draw, a win would have been so nice.
w4hammer
Location: ..my heart says... West Ham.. my head says ...West Ham
Has liked: 1 like
Total likes: 3 likes

Post by w4hammer »

These £15 first class top ups are a pain in the arse.
we jibbed first class on the way back like we always do±

cracking day out, never felt in danger strangely enough- through we looked superb defensively( not in a sam like way) and we should go on from here

two pints dropped@
wizzo_66
Total likes: 32 likes

Post by wizzo_66 »

Good team performance and actually disappointed we didn't convert from the chances we created.

Thought we carried Song who looked extremely rusty, can give the lad some leeway as he regains fitness but he nearly cost us on several occasions.

Noble showed his class yet again. His composure and range of passing is streaks ahead of his peers.

Reid outstanding. Tomkins too. Not convinced by Ogbonna. Tomkins being an able performer at right back is costing him his rightful place next to Reid imo.

Carroll showed how he can be utilised effectively. Don't hit him in the air from 80 yards away, use his chest and body strength in and around the box, he can lay off very neatly and getting other players close to him is absolutely essential.

Antonio raw but direct and I really liked that. I hope he gets some more game time. Stoke at home is a decent fixture for that too.

If we had Payet yesterday, I reckon we'd have rolled them over by 3 or 4.
Romford
Big X

Post by Romford »

Totally agree on your last sentence fella...although i think with Rooney they'd have won !

Great performance, Reid best player on the park, Zarate's best game for us...although he missed a couple of sitters.

Proud of every single one...especially Nobes who was fantastic as captain.
Romford
Big X

Post by Romford »

hawkins_hammer wrote:Absolutely love it when Reid is in the mood. I cant name three centre backs better than him in the league.

Think yesterday ended the Noble discussion for a bit.
I can't name 3 centrebacks better than him full stop....

Is it time to say "I told you so" :wink:
Beavis Danzig
Has liked: 3 likes
Total likes: 733 likes

Post by Beavis Danzig »

seems like every time he's started lately, we're saying it's zarate's best game for us.

whoever's fit, have to have him in the starting xi when the mackems turn up.
Hawaiian hammer

Post by Hawaiian hammer »

Romford wrote:I can't name 3 centrebacks better than him full stop....

Is it time to say "I told you so" :wink:
To be fair you could have said that 1 or 2 years ago and would have been correct. Too much negativity on here recently, opposition boards do not slag us off us much as we do.
Burnley Hammer
Location: was Colne, Burnley, Hull, Colchester, Norwich, Derby.... Now Nottingham
Has liked: 232 likes
Total likes: 2570 likes

Post by Burnley Hammer »

Beavis Danzig wrote:seems like every time he's started lately, we're saying it's zarate's best game for us.

whoever's fit, have to have him in the starting xi when the mackems turn up.
Agreed, I wouldn't object at all to Zarate and Lanzini both playing wide with the same three centre midfield as ManU.
Burnley Hammer wrote:Am I the only one that's feeling positive about that lineup? I think we'll win.
Beavis Danzig wrote:i hope you're smarter than you sound.
Do you still think it was stupid of me to say that the lineup sounded good and I thought we would win? I know we didn't but we really could have, and deserved to.
Romford
Big X

Post by Romford »

One thing EVERYBODY knows now...

Mark Clattenburg is a liar and a cheat.

He saw the elbow and had warned the kraut 2 seconds before.

Corruption at the FA....who'd guess it.
Beavis Danzig
Has liked: 3 likes
Total likes: 733 likes

Post by Beavis Danzig »

Burnley Hammer wrote:[Do you still think it was stupid of me to say that the lineup sounded good and I thought we would win? I know we didn't but we really could have, and deserved to.
hah, no mate. never been happier to look like a mug.

i still thought the performance was quite scrappy and didn't have that flow that we showed in our other big away results, but with injuries that's to be expected. they all had to raise their effort and resilience in response and they did that in spades. properly proud.
Last edited by Beavis Danzig on Sun Dec 06, 2015 1:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
wizzo_66
Total likes: 32 likes

Post by wizzo_66 »

Zarate is in their on merit now. Chuffed for him. He works his socks off every game and the more he continues to improve his decision making, he'll become more and more of an asset.

Just on the way to the airport to head back home. Had a mooch around the national football museum too which was half decent.
Romford
Big X

Post by Romford »

Doc H Ball wrote:A word about Martin Keown.

He was sat next to me on the train up. Spoke to fans quite openly and seemed a cool bloke. Rates Noble as our most important player fwiw.

He was, rightly, very wary of the train back home mind. Said that us lot are fine going up sober but can be a bit leery about his facial appearance on the way back.
He's lucky it wasn't me....

I'd of asked him about being a total hypercrite, a cheat and a total disgrace to football.

I'd also explain to him that what he is just about to recieve is retribution for Ian Pearce at the Library when he walked up to the wall and kicked him.

I would quite happily do 3 months for sorting this mug out.

Typical bloke whoi likes to give it out but cry's when he gets it back. (@nt
Exiledin cardiff
Total likes: 56 likes

Post by Exiledin cardiff »

I.m going to piss on quite a few peoples chips on here, but there is one enormous Elephant in the room,

How the heck can we play so well against the so called better teams, but lack any sort of motivation against the lesser lights. It does seem a bit like Billy big b*llocks attitude with us, when if we had the same attitude against Leic and Bournemouth as we showed yesterday, we could well have been 6 points better off.

It is a worry in that unless Slav can drum it in that we have have to show the same commitment as we had yesterday, against all teams, the season will start to peter away from us.

A great team performance yesterday, and as has been said Reid was at his best but Ogbonna wasn't far behind him, if we keep these two fit and firing, we really do have a good chance of top 7.
Doc H Ball
Has liked: 917 likes
Total likes: 1919 likes

Post by Doc H Ball »

You'd have to do a lot more than 3 months if you wanted to sort out his mug Rom.

I wanted to ask him about Pizzagate, one particularly dirty game at Highbury when Emmanuel Petit conned a winner and how he did the Chauvet cave paintings, but he was a gentleman and so I left him in peace.
Romford
Big X

Post by Romford »

Doc H Ball wrote:You'd have to do a lot more than 3 months if you wanted to sort out his mug Rom.

I wanted to ask him about Pizzagate, one particularly dirty game at Highbury when Emmanuel Petit conned a winner and how he did the Chauvet cave paintings, but he was a gentleman and so I left him in peace.
It would be worth it :wink:

He wasn't a gentleman on the park...and this is my issue with him and those that employ him.

Im glad i wasn't on your train....i would have been in 1st class too.
Romford
Big X

Post by Romford »

Exiledin cardiff wrote:I.m going to piss on quite a few peoples chips on here, but there is one enormous Elephant in the room,

How the heck can we play so well against the so called better teams, but lack any sort of motivation against the lesser lights. It does seem a bit like Billy big b*llocks attitude with us, when if we had the same attitude against Leic and Bournemouth as we showed yesterday, we could well have been 6 points better off.

It is a worry in that unless Slav can drum it in that we have have to show the same commitment as we had yesterday, against all teams, the season will start to peter away from us.

A great team performance yesterday, and as has been said Reid was at his best but Ogbonna wasn't far behind him, if we keep these two fit and firing, we really do have a good chance of top 7.
It's how teams play against us....we've got to work on plans b and c especially at home.
irving boleyn
Has liked: 61 likes
Total likes: 82 likes

Post by irving boleyn »

I believe we have, until yesterday,been asking too much of our full backs. CB's pushing the ball sideways to them on our 12 yard line with the whole of the opposition in front of them..

Seemed different yesterday Cresswell was only involved in the attack well into their half, and the CBs were moving out of defence drawing an opponent before making a pass. Or hitting it long if there was no outlet.

Made a lot of difference. I suggest.
Doc H Ball
Has liked: 917 likes
Total likes: 1919 likes

Post by Doc H Ball »

irving boleyn wrote: Made a lot of difference. I suggest.
Having 3 central midfielders helps, otherwise the full back are more exposed.

I'd try to keep the same formation, especially away. It allows them to interchange and drop when necessary while the other breaks.

............................Adrian

Tomkins........Reid.........Ogbonna.......Cresswell

...........Kouyate..................Noble

.............................Song
Jumby
Has liked: 17 likes
Total likes: 35 likes

Post by Jumby »

Fantastic display from us considering we were without 3 key players for us this season in Payet, Sakho and Lanzini, we stuck at it, dug in and carved out chances for ourselves, we deserve nothing but credit for that dispaly, especially when they should have had two of theirs sent off, I hope the FA look into both incidents because if Reid had done that to the unspellable you can bet your bottom dollar he'd be getting a 1-3 match ban for that.

Tomkins isn't the best right back but he's better than Jenkinson, especially in games where you need to focus and dig in as I don't believe for one second that Jenkinson has the heart, if he did he'd realise he needs to get out of Arsenal for good and push his career on rather than dribble and daydream about his beloved Gooners.

I'm gutted Moses got injured as this is the time where we're really going to need him with injuries piling up but every cloud has a silver lining and this could be the time for Iron Mic to shine, he's certainly in with a shout of starting now and it's a great story, the rise from non league to the Premier, turning down Spurs, the grounded up bringing, you would only ever want someone like that to do well and I hope he does just that.

Well done to the side and well done to Bilic for pulling a result out of the bag where previous Hammers sides in such a situation would have just folded and let them walk all over us :scarfer: