West Ham Utd 0-0 Stoke City (12/12/15)

Relive every moment of every first team game since the beginning of the 2005/06 season. Our archive of matchday threads originally posted in the General Discussion Forum.

Moderator: Gnome

Pulls up Trees
Has liked: 1 like
Total likes: 1 like

Re: West Ham United v Stoke City: Match Thread

Post by Pulls up Trees »

Kitt the car wrote:Atmosphere from our support was pretty awful today too bar the last 10 mins, what's that all about?
Dunno about everyone else, but me and my gang were nursing some severe hangovers from our Christmas parties last night.
Rocketron
Has liked: 6 likes
Total likes: 52 likes

Post by Rocketron »

irving boleyn wrote:I think Noble was top notch...dont think he got caught in possession or misplaced a pass.....except for his foray into the box, where he was probably checking his passport...
RichieRiv wrote: You could actually see him thinking "**** what do I do". Personally I wish he'd pull the trigger more regularly.
If this is the moment in the later stages where he intercepted a clearance and burst into the box, I agree he looked lost as to what to do next and tried to win a penalty.
beckton

Post by beckton »

Doc H Ball wrote:Another entertaining afternoon at the Boleyn.

I've only read the last couple of pages but I've seen a few people say the game was dull. I thought it was a pretty decent game for a 0-0 too.
brownout
Has liked: 97 likes
Total likes: 180 likes

Post by brownout »

A good game. I thought that a draw was fair but it should have been 2.2.
Poor finishing, the woodwork and good goalkeeping meant an entertaining 0.0. That's two weeks in a row that we've left the ground both disappointed with a draw but encouraged by the performance.
Pulls up Trees
Has liked: 1 like

Post by Pulls up Trees »

It was a strange game. Very dull for large periods. But came to life in the last 25 mins.
Beavis Danzig
Has liked: 3 likes
Total likes: 779 likes

Post by Beavis Danzig »

decent game of football interspersed with periods of head tennis and two blunt edged swords.

made my feelings about carroll clear enough in the past, nothing i've seen since he's come back in has changed that. love to see antonio and valencia start up front, with zarate in the hole. we never break in numbers anymore and antonio seems like a centre forward all day to me.

zarate still being underrated. could've been payet out there today and people would be forgiving the couple of times he had it knicked off him because he was our best and most entertaining creative player. shame his luck seems to have abandoned him or he could well be responsible for another four points on the board.

song is a rolls royce. relentlessly positive player, never happy with just lumping it or doing the easy thing.

whole back four were solid. special mention to our CBs who seemed to find a properly decent balance between utility lumps and playing it out.

if i wanted to be overly positive, i'd say that this time will serve us well in the long run. we were relying on out ability to score goals to dig us out of holes before. if we can carry this defensive stability with us when our superstars start clicking, along with a new striker in january, we could really go places.
Last edited by Beavis Danzig on Sat Dec 12, 2015 8:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ryanrc

Post by ryanrc »

Another clean sheet pleases me, especially with the casualties we have. Shows slav can mix it up and solidify. Next season we will be well inducted into Slav's way and I personally feel very positive about that. The one thing we are missing now is a quality striker. We are a Benteke or a Bony away from mixing it up with the big boys.

Exciting times :scarfer:
Beavis Danzig
Total likes: 779 likes

Post by Beavis Danzig »

Kitt the car wrote:Atmosphere from our support was pretty awful today too bar the last 10 mins, what's that all about?
return to the mean after the excitement of a new manager and a new style of football. too many miserable old bastards who are more concerned with whining about the new stadium than making the most of the last days in the old one.
BarryGreen

Post by BarryGreen »

Decent game to watch. Had 0-0 all over from the outset though.

Worried when Ginge started. I thought he would have pulled tonks in and started jenkinson. Ginge did well though. Noble was superb in the middle, and better but not quite there yet from Carroll. I thought he could have put it up Shawcross a bit more. In the ways that he used to bully defences. Antonio was good and i feel we could have done with his raw pace and power at least in the dying parts of some games so far this season.

Butland for them showed why he is knocking on Joe Hart's england door. Have rated him for a while. A very good english keeper.
pharaoh

Post by pharaoh »

BarryGreen wrote:Decent game to watch. Had 0-0 all over from the outset though.

Worried when Ginge started. I thought he would have pulled tonks in and started jenkinson. Ginge did well though. Noble was superb in the middle, and better but not quite there yet from Carroll. I thought he could have put it up Shawcross a bit more. In the ways that he used to bully defences. Antonio was good and i feel we could have done with his raw pace and power at least in the dying parts of some games so far this season.

Butland for them showed why he is knocking on Joe Hart's england door. Have rated him for a while. A very good english keeper.
Generally agree but glad Tomkins was there, it feels more solid with him at the back, Jenkinson seems to lose position. Shawcross gets away with constant holding all match, but Stoke haven't let a goal in with him in defence for 90 minutes all season. Could have snatched it at the end but not a bad draw in the circumstances.
hammerleroy

Post by hammerleroy »

Two home wins all season is the reason the atmosphere is flat. Sorry but there you go! Nobody seems to expect us to put teams away and remember all the so-called top boys, less Chelski and the Foxes, have to come to us yet awhile!!! :scarfer:
hammerbubble1964

Post by hammerbubble1964 »

Just got home to Poole in Dorset. 11 hour day but well worth it. Happy with a draw considering injuries.
The corners were shocking though!!!
simon hammer
Has liked: 993 likes
Total likes: 748 likes

Post by simon hammer »

I thought both keepers were top notch today. And a point is a point...onwards and upwards!

COYI!
Pop Robson
Has liked: 34 likes
Total likes: 17 likes

Post by Pop Robson »

As 0-0's go kept most of the punters there until the end
jhammers
Has liked: 72 likes
Total likes: 28 likes

Post by jhammers »

Really enjoyed the game. 2 very good sides.
mboogers
Has liked: 2 likes

Post by mboogers »

hammerbubble1964 wrote:Just got home to Poole in Dorset. 11 hour day but well worth it. Happy with a draw considering injuries.
The corners were shocking though!!!
Some bloke at Bournemouth scored direct from a corner today. Why can't we teach the lads at our academy to do that?? :D
fjthegrey
Has liked: 14 likes
Total likes: 1168 likes

Post by fjthegrey »

Zarate impressed me. He's imperfect but I kind of like it about him. Got that West Ham element to him that endears me to him.

0-0's can be much worse, this one was alright.
Billydinho
Has liked: 174 likes
Total likes: 770 likes

Post by Billydinho »

People went down for a beer at 30 minutes and then were leaving at 75 minutes.

Absolutely ridiculous. I've said it numerous times - why bother going?
The Old Mile End
Has liked: 9 likes
Total likes: 105 likes

Post by The Old Mile End »

For the second successive game, an entertaining 0-0 draw for me!

For those who think clean sheets are important - your wishes have come true. Personally, I'd prefer 3-3 for any match that ends a draw, but that's just my own view.

Can't fault the effort and commitment from all out there. Carroll is obviously giving it a good go and the crowd have appreciated it. Antonio is as we thought, raw, but not lacking in strength and effort and prepared to have a shot at goal. He was just inches from opening his account on two occasions when getting onto the end of crosses.

Obviously we are missing Payet, Lanzini and Sakho - and our overall play does reflect this. But there is a good team spirit being shown and it's pleasing to see the manager trying to win the game by making positive changes.

It's been a while since a win and a couple of goals, but as long as we don't lose heart, it will be fine.
:crest:
61dicksey
Has liked: 586 likes
Total likes: 435 likes

Post by 61dicksey »

Billydinho wrote:People went down for a beer at 30 minutes and then were leaving at 75 minutes.

Absolutely ridiculous. I've said it numerous times - why bother going?
Drives me mad having to get up for the twats every 10 mins, 15 beers equals many visits to the bogs.