Swansea City 0-0 West Ham Utd (20/12/15)

Relive every moment of every first team game since the beginning of the 2005/06 season. Our archive of matchday threads originally posted in the General Discussion Forum.

Moderator: Gnome

Aceface
Has liked: 358 likes
Total likes: 1446 likes

Re: Swansea City vs West Ham Utd: match thread

Post by Aceface »

I must be the only one that doesn't see all that much difference between the performances of Carroll and Jelavic this season.

Neither of them look like scoring unless the ball is placed on a sixpence about 5 yards from goal, yet one is getting compared to Benni McCarthy after his first start of the season, while the other is "still coming back from injury" after being involved in 10 games of a 38 game season.
miles
This site...
Has liked: 303 likes
Total likes: 383 likes

Post by miles »

Something to do with folks still intent on point-scoring from the remnants of the dreaded Allardyce/Sullivan debate, one suspects. Some will never let it go.
sosc67

Post by sosc67 »

A game we should have done better at.
Crouchend_Hammer
Has liked: 137 likes
Total likes: 2353 likes

Post by Crouchend_Hammer »

Aceface wrote:I must be the only one that doesn't see all that much difference between the performances of Carroll and Jelavic this season.

Neither of them look like scoring unless the ball is placed on a sixpence about 5 yards from goal, yet one is getting compared to Benni McCarthy after his first start of the season, while the other is "still coming back from injury" after being involved in 10 games of a 38 game season.
Never a truer word spoken Aceface

Anyone would think Jelavic had come into a side that had been smashing goals in left right and centre or was replacing strikers who had scored a hatful of goals

I heard on this very site that apparently six full games was not enough to be up to full fitness
DannyboyDJL
Has liked: 40 likes
Total likes: 200 likes

Post by DannyboyDJL »

Aceface wrote:I must be the only one that doesn't see all that much difference between the performances of Carroll and Jelavic this season.

Agree with that. I thought Jelavic made good runs. He tried to get across his man when the ball was wide, knicked it off the defender a couple of times and was generally in the right place, he just wasn't quick enough to make anything of it. I'd still hope we chuck a good chunk of money at the position next year as it's comfortably our weakest area and I'd personally say one of the weakest in the league. Even Sakho is busy rather than classy for me.
the pink palermo
Huge noggin
Has liked: 758 likes
Total likes: 2937 likes

Post by the pink palermo »

DannyboyDJL wrote: Even Sakho is busy rather than classy for me.
A point made some time ago by Bobby O on here .
WorcesterWHU
Has liked: 8 likes
Total likes: 107 likes

Post by WorcesterWHU »

wizzo_66 wrote:Jaybs in unrelated Carroll dig shocker.
:lol:
Kermit
Has liked: 94 likes
Total likes: 321 likes

Post by Kermit »

You are not the only one. And it is also worth mentioning that if Carroll can be excused his performances because he is still coming back from injury Jelavic deserves some slack because he has played even less than carroll this season.
Crouchend_Hammer
Has liked: 137 likes
Total likes: 2353 likes

Post by Crouchend_Hammer »

We need a new striker, it is as simple as that

Agree with DannyBoy. We may have numbers in that position (if all are fit), but we do not have one player who is guaranteed to get goals
I doubt anything will happen in January, but if the Daves are serious we need to go out and
a) get lucky via a cheap striker who clearly comes good i.e Ighalo, Vardy etc
b) utilise decent scouting to find a player like Benteke who is suited to the English game who may cost around £10m,
c) break the bank and spend £25m
Kermit
Has liked: 94 likes
Total likes: 321 likes

Post by Kermit »

Wouldn't disagree with that. But unfortunately "classy" strikers cost an arm and a leg and usually end up at places like Manchester City.

If you read this Mr Bilic I'm sure you have heard about Kevin Volland of Hoffenheim. Wouldn't cost an arm and a leg and, imo, a long term future in the German international squad which can't be bad.

January cometh. You know it makes sense. :wink:

Edit to say just read Crouchend's post and Volland is category B)
DannyboyDJL
Has liked: 40 likes
Total likes: 200 likes

Post by DannyboyDJL »

I'd be tempted to see how keen Liverpool are to hold onto Benteke. He's not started well there and the fans haven't particularly taken to him.
Stepney

Post by Stepney »

Feel a bit deflated this morning. Yes it's always good to get a point away from home but the things that concerns me is that we didn't even look like scoring yesterday.Not sure where these goals are gona come from with key players out. It's wierd because for most of my time supporting West Ham a point away from home would've been a great result, but the bar has been raised now after the start we made this season so I expect us to play every team away and create loads of chances at least. Am I being greedy?!
WorcesterWHU
Has liked: 8 likes
Total likes: 107 likes

Post by WorcesterWHU »

Stepney wrote:Feel a bit deflated this morning. Yes it's always good to get a point away from home but the things that concerns me is that we didn't even look like scoring yesterday.Not sure where these goals are gona come from with key players out. It's wierd because for most of my time supporting West Ham a point away from home would've been a great result, but the bar has been raised now after the start we made this season so I expect us to play every team away and create loads of chances at least. Am I being greedy?!
I feel like the game at White Hart Lane made quite an impression on Bilic, rightly or wrongly. Conceding four flattered us that day so perhaps a change of approach to account for the change in personnel was what he was after?
sanchoz
Location: Founder of the Carlton Cole Fan Club - Rainham & Guildford Branch
Total likes: 11 likes

Post by sanchoz »

For all his endeavour (and total lack of pace) Jelavić was isolated upfront and his early second half frustrations was clear for all to see when he chased down a ball to put the Swansea defence under pressure, for them to play the ball out and no WHU player had followed up to also apply pressure.

We sat too deep and square, short passes in Swansea’s own half did not threaten us but allowing better teams in terms of confidence and quality such time and possession is a big mistake. Pressure needs to be placed higher up the field and whenever we did that, they didn’t know what to do and either punted long or made mistakes.

As pointed out by others we lacked creativity but that’s what happens when your creativity is sitting in the treatment room and glad we didn’t get rid of Collins who has once again provided quality cover.
Turns to Stone
Has liked: 229 likes
Total likes: 1455 likes

Post by Turns to Stone »

A combination of a number of things yesterday. Our three central midfielders appear to all be players who are primarily concerned with keeping position and not conceding ahead of looking forward. That's not a bad thing, but it does explain why we look so much better when Lanzini starts instead of one of them in a deeper central position.

There was also a lack of decent movement in the final third. Zarate is good on the ball, but doesn't make enough intelligent runs to make space for players around him. Antonio is quick and has power but is only making his 2nd start in the top flight. His runs are still not well timed and easily read by defenders. Jelavic looks like a goalscorer, nothing more nothing less. Comes alive in the box, but when asked to run the channels or hold the ball up, he comes up short.

The game against Stoke actually highlighted why Carroll is a big miss for us. His movement creates space for players around him and Zarate and and Antonio both had more space against Stoke (who I feel are better defensively) than against Swansea because Jelavic was too static.

Having said that, he is our 4th choice striker and really shouldn't be expected to be leading our line right now.

Bilic's style revolves around being able to turn defense into attack. To do that you need pace of foot and pace of thought, that is what Payet and Lanzini bring us and allow us to bring in the likes of Sakho, Moses and Antonio.

What impresses me is how solid we look though. Ogbonna has been superb since he came in and I think he and Reid (although I though Collins looked excellent yesterday) could become one of the best partnerships in the division. I also think that Song looked strong and solid where he is and I wouldn't look at pushing him further forward. I would look at perhaps giving somone more attack-minded than Kouyate a game though. Ideally it would be Lanzini, but might be worth looking at Cullen perhaps to help us turn defence into attack quicker. Without that quality and speed of thought in midfield, and without the movement up front to make it work, we look very, very similar to the side that finished last year. The big difference this year though is that we now have Payet, Lanzini, Moses, Carroll and Sakho to come back into the side.

We're missing half our team. The last three have been good results against good teams/form teams/and newly managerless teams.
Wilko1304
Location: "Once you start complicating things the end result is less inflatables"
Has liked: 1487 likes
Total likes: 3083 likes

Post by Wilko1304 »

Thought Ogbonna was the best player on the pitch yesterday. Collins throwing his body at everything is more of a spectacle but Ogbonna doesn't need to do it as much. Dealt brilliantly with Gomis when he found the gap on that long ball.

Least two times Collins and Adrian miscommunicated and fell out.

Jelavic was awful. The difference between him and Carroll was his touch, there were also a couple times he got some space in behind(ish) and wasted it by being an appalling footballer. I appreciate the graft but we had no threat up front with him there.
fmgod
Has liked: 50 likes
Total likes: 145 likes

Post by fmgod »

As well as the game being so dull and boring yesterday the game was so soft side it was a joke, any touch, any dive was just giving as a free-kick, like watching a non-contact sport, the game was hardly malicious.
prophet:marginal
Has liked: 836 likes
Total likes: 1980 likes

Post by prophet:marginal »

bubbles1966 wrote:Jelavic scored eight goals in the PL last season, all inside the box.

The team had twenty odd percent possession (top stuff, midfield) yesterday and Adrian alone launched 27 long balls.

Jelavic may not be the best player we have ever had, but I get the impression he will work all day, he may get the odd goal, and that he has some awareness of what is going on and when to run etc - which is something I rarely expected or saw with the man he replaced (Maiga).
I tend to agree with that. And, I terms of whether he posed any danger to the Swans' CBs, it was jelly attacking Kou's cross that led to the ball unpredictably flying up in the air. It was lucky for them to not concede an o.g.

Slim pickings, I appreciate, but in another part of the play, Jelly won the ball on the halfway line, laid it off and had to stand and watch it being aimlessly booted towards the Swansea goal. There wasn't a single one of ours remotely near where it landed!
Knighter10WHU
Has liked: 154 likes
Total likes: 193 likes

Post by Knighter10WHU »

Crouchend_Hammer wrote: I doubt anything will happen in January, but if the Daves are serious we need to go out and
b) utilise decent scouting to find a player like Benteke who is suited to the English game who may cost around £10m,
Isn't A Sakho, B Valencia and C Carroll?
Knighter10WHU
Has liked: 154 likes
Total likes: 193 likes

Post by Knighter10WHU »

Crouchend_Hammer wrote: I doubt anything will happen in January, but if the Daves are serious we need to go out and
Isn't A Sakho, B Valencia and C Carroll?