West Ham Utd 2-1 Southampton (28/12/15)

Relive every moment of every first team game since the beginning of the 2005/06 season. Our archive of matchday threads originally posted in the General Discussion Forum.

Moderator: Gnome

fjthegrey
Has liked: 14 likes
Total likes: 1169 likes

Re: West Ham United v Southampton: Match Thread

Post by fjthegrey »

jammys78 wrote:Can't believe some are slating Valencia worked hard all game
He did nothing except miscontrol some passes into him and fall over. If that's one of his better games for us then things are pretty desperate.
Aceface
Has liked: 373 likes
Total likes: 1471 likes

Post by Aceface »

jammys78 wrote:why was he wearing edgar David's style glasses ?
Eye injury from before the Villa game.

Although knowing Song it probably cleared up days ago and yesterday was just an aesthetic choice
sutts07
Has liked: 24 likes
Total likes: 542 likes

Post by sutts07 »

The Gibbins wrote:I actually thought the atmosphere was a bit **** yesterday until we scored.
Fair comment, the fans reflected the performance in the first half. Frustrated and lacking energy.

Second half was totally different from both though. The team came out and gave it a go from the off and that really lifted the crowd. As a result the Southampton fans (who had a fair turn out by the way) wen't very quiet and were reduced to just the odd rendition of 'ohhhhh whennnn...' (you know the rest).

It really was a 'game of two halves' yesterday, on the pitch and in the stands.
Hammer Laffers
Has liked: 8 likes
Total likes: 17 likes

Post by Hammer Laffers »

When was the last time we turned a game around?
hammers92
Has liked: 314 likes
Total likes: 1778 likes

Post by hammers92 »

My observations from last night were:

Can we replace Song with the Song we had last year, guy needs to step up now

Noble was also quite rubbish, I'm his biggest supporter but he was pretty rubbish

Valencia also needs to step up and by that not going down when a gust of wind arises

2nd half we showed some proper fight and "character", was great to see us take the game to them and get the points, bring on the scousers
nickkarkie
Has liked: 65 likes
Total likes: 159 likes

Post by nickkarkie »

Hammer Laffers wrote:When was the last time we turned a game around?
they said 1 year ago
De Niro
Total likes: 8 likes

Post by De Niro »

Chances created (xG) for each half Image
FordLovingHammer69

Post by FordLovingHammer69 »

Well after the first half I was fuming. Couldn't see how we could get back into it. But, glad to be proved wrong.

Plenty of fight and closing down, which has been sadly lacking. I think Ginge was yelling at Zarate but not sure. I did notice in the first half though, Zarate was just immobile when a pass was put over the right of our box. Defensive duties totally lacking there and he needs a slap if he wants to keep his place, even on the bench. Like I said, with some closing down and movement off the ball, we were much better in the second half. Really cannot stand lazy, selfish players.
Johnny Byrne's Boots
Has liked: 1848 likes
Total likes: 2105 likes

Post by Johnny Byrne's Boots »

From the BBC's match report, this is why we were overrun in the first half.

"Average" positions of each player in the first half.
De Niro

Post by De Niro »

Pretty sure thats the average positions for the whole match. That's why Tomkins and Jenkinson are showing as in the middle, because they swapped at half time.
The Gibbins
Maggot infested twat
Total likes: 10 likes

Post by The Gibbins »

The problem with Zarate, and even Song is that they slow the play down. Yesterday, Zarate was not moving for the ball, he wants it to feet and then wants to try and beat those in front of him. There was a moment where he was on the left wing, acres of space in front of him but he held his run so he received the ball to feet. It just allowed Southampton to get numbers behind the ball and nullified our attack. It seemed clear to me yesterday that Zarate just isn't prepared to make runs, our tempo was shocking first half. We lined up as an away team and continued that way until we made the necessary changes.
Last edited by The Gibbins on Tue Dec 29, 2015 1:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
MrDallas
Total likes: 1 like

Post by MrDallas »

surely its only the first 45 as song and zarate are still on there :think:
De Niro

Post by De Niro »

Fair point, still puzzling that its showing Jenkinson and Tomkins central. Perhaps the BBC didnt include subs on their map.

I have access to another average position map for the whole match and it shows Jenkinson and Tomkins same as the BBCs.
sjb958
Total likes: 14 likes

Post by sjb958 »

As he said, I reckon it's because they played one half on each side. Playing one half on the left and the other half on the right would result in their average position to be in the centre.
Broomfield Hammer
Location: The unfashionable end of the western spiral arm of the galaxy.
Has liked: 1 like
Total likes: 1 like

Post by Broomfield Hammer »

It's definitely the whole match, but just showing starters. I'm not sure that average position maps tell us anything useful. For instance it shows that Noble and Jenkinson had almost identical average positions, but they weren't playing that close to each other, and when they were it was wide not central. In fact Jenkinson's heat map shows that he didn't actually touch the ball anywhere near his average position.
Last edited by Broomfield Hammer on Tue Dec 29, 2015 1:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
fjthegrey
Total likes: 1169 likes

Post by fjthegrey »

De Niro wrote:Fair point, still puzzling that its showing Jenkinson and Tomkins central. Perhaps the BBC didnt include subs on their map.

I have access to another average position map for the whole match and it shows Jenkinson and Tomkins same as the BBCs.
Maybe, because they spent one half on one side then one of the other, they levelled out in the middle. Not often full backs change sides at half time.
The Old Man of Storr
Has liked: 2677 likes
Total likes: 1779 likes

Post by The Old Man of Storr »

We've all said ' I'll take a win even if it's off so and so's arse ' haven't we ? - Well last night we got one of those goals , it should have been a penalty , mind you but a goal is better than a penalty , Antonio chested it down and then got caught by a Southampton trailing leg , he carried on falling and somehow the ball ended up ballooning over Stekelenburg into the net , then later on Valencia crossed over from the right , it bounced off the ground and there was Antonio again powering a header against the bar for Andy Carroll to show a lot of awareness to head the ball in .

Southampton scored very much against the run of play , we dominated the first 10 minutes , a neat little flick from Zarate and a run by Valencia from the half way line ended with a shot being blocked by the Southampton defenders , then after their goal went in off Jenkinson's foot we seemed to lose our way a bit , no one was looking for that pass and it became a scappy end to the first half .
Song had an ineffective first half as our passing was going straight over his head , he was replaced by Lanzini who looked for the ball and was positive throughout the second half .
Southampton packed the midfield and made things difficult for us , we couldn't seem to get going then Collins I think it was found Antonio on the left and our goal came .

When we signed Antonio I said that he reminded me of Clyde Best - well I don't know how many of you were at Everton in 1972 when Clyde ran on from the half way line and shot past Gordon West , Antonio's run from his own half was very similar to Best's run against Everton back on that November day if Michail had scored it would have been a magnificent goal .

That win last night will have given the lads the confidence to take on Liverpool on the 2nd January , they will have to run for each other not stand around gawping as some did yesterday - beat them to every tackle , outfight them like Watford did recently and we can keep this unbeaten run going .
De Niro

Post by De Niro »

fjthegrey wrote:
Maybe, because they spent one half on one side then one of the other, they levelled out in the middle. Not often full backs change sides at half time.
Yep, I originally said that. I was saying its puzzling if it is only the first half shown. Cant be though.

Shoddy work from the BBC really.
Johnny Byrne's Boots
Has liked: 1848 likes
Total likes: 2105 likes

Post by Johnny Byrne's Boots »

It (the position map) may be down to my misinterpretation of what was written underneath it
For much of the game Southampton looked to have the better shape - and in the first half they certainly played the more progressive football. But after the break it was West Ham who fashioned the better chances as the away side faded
I just homed in on "First half" because it reinforced my opinion that we were getting hammered down the flanks during it.
The Sherriff
Has liked: 6 likes
Total likes: 106 likes

Post by The Sherriff »

Fantastic win.

Much kudos to Tomkins, Collins and Antonio. The later changed the game with his infectious work rate and rallied the crowd. The Zarate show should take note - it's a team game and not a one man crusade, utterly frustrating and annoying .....

Contrast him to the wonderful Lanzini, a serious talent and beautiful player. Great to have him back.

Still can't keep a clean sheet with the woeful Jenks in our ranks, sad indictment on the player that a centre back had to cover him as he failed in the patch up job at LB.

Special mention for the referee who was utter **** and gave a truely inept performance. It's every game these days .....

Much to be happy about though, :crest: