West Ham Utd 2-1 Southampton (28/12/15)

Relive every moment of every first team game since the beginning of the 2005/06 season. Our archive of matchday threads originally posted in the General Discussion Forum.

Moderator: Gnome

SDKFZ 222

Re: West Ham United v Southampton: Match Thread

Post by SDKFZ 222 »

I've just lifted this from the Saintsweb match thread, I thought you might like a chuckle:

"Honestly not going to miss Upton Park. Pain in the **** to get to and back from, the surrounding area is a complete dump, no beer/ food at half time (who's great idea was this, it almost caused a riot?) and shockingly high prices (before SFC subsidised by 50%). Their new council house/stadium that we as tax payers funded will definitely be an upgrade."

Fair comment, but it's 'our' dump!
fjthegrey
Has liked: 14 likes
Total likes: 1170 likes

Post by fjthegrey »

The area around St Mary's is really up market and beautiful, so they are well within their right to criticise.
Oldun
Has liked: 165 likes
Total likes: 566 likes

Post by Oldun »

SDKFZ 222 wrote:I've just lifted this from the Saintsweb match thread, I thought you might like a chuckle:

"Honestly not going to miss Upton Park. Pain in the **** to get to and back from, the surrounding area is a complete dump, no beer/ food at half time (who's great idea was this, it almost caused a riot?) and shockingly high prices (before SFC subsidised by 50%). Their new council house/stadium that we as tax payers funded will definitely be an upgrade."

Fair comment, but it's 'our' dump!
Obviously he didn't ever go to the Dell,now that was a **** ground.
bobbymooresbracelet

Post by bobbymooresbracelet »

Judging by the amount they brought up 75% were first timers.
ponder

Post by ponder »

fjthegrey wrote: He did nothing except miscontrol some passes into him and fall over. If that's one of his better games for us then things are pretty desperate.
And whip in the cross that lead to our winner...
SDKFZ 222

Post by SDKFZ 222 »

As an aside, I absolutely love the fact that some away fans hate visiting our ground, I'd hate for them to 'love' coming to us.
PrinceH

Post by PrinceH »

Valencia's second half was good. Most of our players improved with Bilic's changes and Lanzinis introduction. So it's just we all know, used to their strength's every player will grow. He had pace and worked hard all over the pitch and found both Antonio and Carroll with his runs. Grew in confidence which he certainly has lacked a long time now. He really needs players to play with - like Sakho last year - quite close to, and understand his runs. Like Lanzini does.
For me he was not one of our best performers still, but showed second half not only how he himself can improve, but symbolised the whole team, with pace (have we ever seen a slower team first half?), runs (non existent first half) and an idea how to use both (linking, also non existent first half).
C.Kouyatesbigtoe

Post by C.Kouyatesbigtoe »

Loved the passion from the players yesterday. Adrian and Collins were awsome, turning to the fans and really G-ing them up. Zarate remains one of the most frustrating players for me and i find it so hard to warm to him with the sulking antics etc... Antonio on the other hand i really like! At the moment he isn't the finished article but my god the boy doesn't give up and i love that.

COYI! :scarfer:
Romford
Big X

Post by Romford »

You do have to laugh....Saints scored with their first attack and we could have been a couple up in the first ten mins. After their goal they did totally outplay us BUT people are forgetting how well we started....even MOTD as usual.

It was a funny old game....but we played well in the 2nd half and deserved the win and should of had another at the end.

Yet another crap ref...how that left back stayed on after going through Valencia in the 2nd half was a joke. I'm really fed up of the amount of uncontrolled lunges to stop counter attacks that don't get punished.

That Wanyama did 4 yesterday.

MOTM..Ginge
Romford
Big X

Post by Romford »

bobbymooresbracelet wrote:Judging by the amount they brought up 75% were first timers.
The club paid 50% of the ticket price...they usually bring nobody
bobbymooresbracelet

Post by bobbymooresbracelet »

Romford wrote:
The club paid 50% of the ticket price...they usually bring nobody

Ah thought there was a catch to their unusually high numbers.
Romford
Big X

Post by Romford »

Anybody notice how many long balls they played ?

The club whose fans like to take the p!$$ out of other teams style of play really have to look at themselves.

I cannot remember the last time i saw the oppos lump the ball aimlessly forward
Aceface
Has liked: 358 likes
Total likes: 1446 likes

Post by Aceface »

Got to say, even a day later it's hard to understate how important that result was. A full 5 place swing in the table had we won or lost.

I said a few weeks back that one of Bilic's hallmarks seems to be getting a victory just when you least expect it and/or most need it, and that was another one. Being 12th with Liverpool next up - and the monkey on our back about not having won since October - would have felt one hell of a lot different to where we find ourselves.
pharaoh
Has liked: 3 likes
Total likes: 1 like

Post by pharaoh »

Romford wrote:You do have to laugh....Saints scored with their first attack and we could have been a couple up in the first ten mins. After their goal they did totally outplay us BUT people are forgetting how well we started....even MOTD as usual.

MOTM..Ginge
Agree with this, thought the first 10 minutes we had control but the goal knocked the stuffing out of us. Despite their dominance I can't remember too many decent chances and noticed that there was quite a few cynical fouls when we broke them up, and there could have been more control again from the ref. Saying that generally the rest of the first half was awful from our point of view and I was happy when half time came around.
wizzo_66
Has liked: 1 like
Total likes: 32 likes

Post by wizzo_66 »

Romford wrote:Anybody notice how many long balls they played ?

The club whose fans like to take the p!$$ out of other teams style of play really have to look at themselves.

I cannot remember the last time i saw the oppos lump the ball aimlessly forward
They have always played plenty long balls but it's another media coined phrase and they now sing every game how they play on the floor.

Load of rubbish.

Loved a long punt to Lambert. Love a long punt to Pelle. Loved a long punt to Long yesterday.
westham,eggyandchips
Has liked: 1978 likes
Total likes: 1466 likes

Post by westham,eggyandchips »

Romford wrote:
The club paid 50% of the ticket price
It wouldnt hurt our club to do something similar more often to reward our loyal away support.
Romford
Big X

Post by Romford »

westham,eggyandchips wrote:
It wouldnt hurt our club to do something similar more often to reward our loyal away support.
But not for a game a couple of hours down the road on a bank holiday
cockney farmer

Post by cockney farmer »

westham,eggyandchips wrote:

In all fairness they did last season I benefitted from Swansea and Newcastle away being subsidised
Irrons
Has liked: 1267 likes
Total likes: 255 likes

Post by Irrons »

Up the Junction wrote:Watch the second half again. He had a great half and played a major role in our equaliser.
I skimmed through both halves again just now. Compared to the first half, where he was absolutely woeful, his second half performance was an improvement but that isn't saying much and I wouldn't go so far as to call it great. I will give him is due though as he didn't stop bombing forward despite his total lack of confidence, but I cannot see how he will ever play for the Arsenal first team and the fee they want for him is a joke.

At the end of the day, he's a defender and our defensive record when he's been on the pitch versus when he's been off it speaks volumes about his defensive capability. Excluding his massive lack of confidence (which is there for all to see), this is one of the main reasons why Bilic has been benching him for Tomkins and has started to bring him on as a defensive minded winger later in games playing further forward. And whilst he is very good at bombing on down the wing with pace, his end product is a mixed bag at best and isn't in the same league as Cresswell's in terms of quality and consistency, imo.

Given that he's an Arsenal player and doesn't look like he wants to be on the pitch for us at the moment I really think we need to look at alternatives come January, especially if Hendrie isn't up to scratch. There are much better options available for me
hammer1975
Has liked: 934 likes
Total likes: 1088 likes

Post by hammer1975 »

Romford wrote: Yet another crap ref...how that left back stayed on after going through Valencia in the 2nd half was a joke. I'm really fed up of the amount of uncontrolled lunges to stop counter attacks that don't get punished.

That Wanyama did 4 yesterday
It does appear that every team (bar us) cuts players down on quick counters about halfway into their half. The clever teams make sure they spread it around a bit to avoid yellow cards completely. Incredibly frustrating as it really cuts out one of our most potent weapons and is clearly instructions based against us.

Ref's are not wise to it at all