West Ham Utd 2-1 Southampton (28/12/15)

Relive every moment of every first team game since the beginning of the 2005/06 season. Our archive of matchday threads originally posted in the General Discussion Forum.

Moderator: Gnome

Irrons
Has liked: 1267 likes
Total likes: 255 likes

Re: West Ham United v Southampton: Match Thread

Post by Irrons »

hammer1975 wrote:
It does appear that every team (bar us) cuts players down on quick counters about halfway into their half. The clever teams make sure they spread it around a bit to avoid yellow cards completely. Incredibly frustrating as it really cuts out one of our most potent weapons and is clearly instructions based against us.

Ref's are not wise to it at all

After rewatching the match I have to say they were extremely fortunate not to have five or six yellows and possibly even a red for their repeat offenders. I wouldn't say it's targeted at us so much (although it feels like we've certainly borne the brunt of it) - most of the teams in the league are doing it and for some reason referees are letting them get away with it. I'd be complaining to the league and the referees association personally and highlighting the inconsistencies to them on a daily basis, especially with some of the decisions that have gone against us. I think Spurs, Watford, Everton, Swansea, Villa and Southampton have all done the bullying niggling fouls well against us this season and largely got away with it.

Think we should be a bit more streetwise ourselves sometimes. If you can't beat them...
kalashnikov

Post by kalashnikov »

Irrons wrote:
Think we should be a bit more streetwise ourselves sometimes. If you can't beat them...
I would agree. We are lacking an enforcer type in the middle of the park. Noble is a bit too nice in his play and it isn't Kouyate's game. It was an area where Nolan was massive.

I'm hoping Song can start to provide that but he is bang out of form at the moment. There were times last season where he definitely let opposing mid fielders know they were in for a game. In a sort of rough honest way.
The Gibbins
Maggot infested twat
Total likes: 10 likes

Post by The Gibbins »

Agree with the long balls Southampton played, its no different to many teams. I think its their sense of arrogance that is irksome, they seem to have it in their heads they play like Barcelona. They were bloody cynical, not only were they time wasting as soon as the second half started but every time we got a break they committed a foul. I think every phase of play that involved Oriel Romeu was a foul :lol:
Korea Hammer
Has liked: 1315 likes
Total likes: 765 likes

Post by Korea Hammer »

Where are people rewatching this, btw? thnx
Irrons
Has liked: 1267 likes
Total likes: 255 likes

Post by Irrons »

Korea Hammer wrote:Where are people rewatching this, btw? thnx
Google 'footballorgin' (exact spelling). They usually have all the full games as well as motd. If you want to download directly I'd recommend using something like replay media catcher
Sarfend Hammer
Total likes: 2 likes

Post by Sarfend Hammer »

Enjoyed reading the oppositions views. In their position I would probably be reacting similarly but to enter a dose of reality.

- They were unable to score, it was Jenkinson who managed that feat. So their fans' references to luck in Antonio's goal is somewhat ironic.

- The first fifteen minutes were even and they only dominated after the own goal. While I understand their frustration due to their ineffective possession for that 30 minutes. Not putting the ball in the net once in the first half underscores the bluntness of your attack.

- The referee allowed them to get away with a lot in the first half. There should have been at least two yellow cards shown which might have changed the dynamic a little. Even with the ref letting them away with their tactics, throughout the game they were pulled up for twice as many fouls as we were.
Sarfend Hammer
Total likes: 2 likes

Post by Sarfend Hammer »

Irrons wrote:After rewatching the match I have to say they were extremely fortunate not to have five or six yellows and possibly even a red for their repeat offenders. ...I think Spurs, Watford, Everton, Swansea, Villa and Southampton have all done the bullying niggling fouls well against us this season and largely got away with it.

You are 100% correct on this. The worst was Everton and it is a deliberate tactic to nullify a fast counterattacking team. The fact that they are allowed to get away with it shows just how useless PL ref management really is. They should be issuing an instruction to come down heavy on this behaviour, it is causing injuries and robbing the PL of its best players for large parts of the season.

Bilic should highlight this tactic in his pregame conferences to plant a seed in the officials minds.
WestHamByTheSea
Location: Turning the TV off, making some tea, and saying modern life well it's rubbish...

Post by WestHamByTheSea »

Romford wrote:Anybody notice how many long balls they played ?

The club whose fans like to take the p!$$ out of other teams style of play really have to look at themselves.

I cannot remember the last time i saw the oppos lump the ball aimlessly forward
They've been deluding themselves on being some sort of backstreet-Barcelona for years now; remember when they came to ours about 3 years ago and we beat them 4-1 - all the goals were in the 2nd half after they'd spent most of the 1st half pinging the ball sideways between themselves in front of the halfway line for 45 minutes then calling out how much possession they'd had... then of the 5 goals in the 2nd half, only their consolation was a long ball.

Must be extra-galling for them to see their neighbours in Bournemouth playing proper attacking passing football in the oppo's half on a budget that wouldn't have paid for Nigel Adkins' tanning for a month.

Shame in a way I was staying back in London for Xmas; would have enjoyed the usual train back to the south coast with those muppets.

Regarding the game, I thought Nobes was the glue in the 1st half that kept us in it. We need to have a real think about Song's place in our future; from his performances up until about a year ago we know there's a player there, but having added Obiang and Oxford (the latter obviously only to an extent) and especially Lanzini, I think the club need to ask themselves whether we have a player worth ****ing out a lot of dosh for or a reputation worthy of a gamble. I really hope the lad comes good again cos we can never have too many good players in the squad, I just question slightly whether certain folks at the club have become blinded to the reality of what he does or doesn't do. Slav rightly gave him the hook at halftime which suggests he isn't sacred; at the moment though i'd feel comfier having Obiang's energy/Noble's guile and passing ahead of him. Be fab if he made me wrong, mind!

It was great actually winning a game having been behind; can't remember the last time that happened. Was a huge one for us as it (psychologically at least) kind of validates the run of draws to a degree; it's good for morale both for the players and boss as well as the support to be able to say we've been hard to beat whilst missing our best players, a loss v Saints could've well turned the glass into a half-empty one in most eyes. As it is we're slowly getting our stars back, the likes of Antonio have blossomed pretty well in their absence (and Ginge has shown how indispensable he is when we're missing a defender or two), and fingers crossed we've got our annual injury crisis mainly out the way already to leave us starting 2016 in 8th place, with Payet, Reid, Sakho and Moses all to be added to the 2nd half of the season.

One or two tweaks needed in the window (maybe a RB and another striker), but neither essential if a good deal isn't available - certainly no panic buys needed.

We're alright. :thup:
EastleighHammer16
Has liked: 230 likes
Total likes: 1647 likes

Post by EastleighHammer16 »

It doesn't matter how lucky Antonio's goal was. It would of been a penalty if it didn't go in.
Beavis Danzig
Has liked: 3 likes
Total likes: 733 likes

Post by Beavis Danzig »

EastleighHammer16 wrote:It doesn't matter how lucky Antonio's goal was. It would of been a penalty if it didn't go in.
that's what antonio said michael oliver told him. whether he was just humouring the lad I don't know.
EastleighHammer16
Has liked: 230 likes
Total likes: 1647 likes

Post by EastleighHammer16 »

Beavis Danzig wrote: that's what antonio said michael oliver told him. whether he was just humouring the lad I don't know.
I thought at the time the ref looked like he was about to give it and then noticed the ball looping over the GK's head.
stevenmj
Total likes: 3 likes

Post by stevenmj »

What is getting on my t**t's is the media going on about it being only our first win in 8 games and before Tuesday that we hadn't won in 7. Why doesn't anyone point out that we've only lost twice in 14 games; away games to the Shitbag XI and a high flying Watford?
Romford
Big X

Post by Romford »

Considering our injury crisis...i think we've done rather well.
Adie64
Has liked: 463 likes

Post by Adie64 »

Romford wrote:Considering our injury crisis...i think we've done rather well.
Hear Hear Romford. :scarfer:
Rio
Ronnie Biggs was here
Has liked: 159 likes
Total likes: 1080 likes

Post by Rio »

Absolutely. It's not been easy at times but how many other squads with their equivalent players out would have done better or even as well?
Phil S
Has liked: 446 likes
Total likes: 380 likes

Post by Phil S »

I think we've done great. Moving in the right direction.

Sad to see so many negative comments on here in recent weeks, digging out certain players.

COYI :scarfer:
west ham15
Has liked: 1 like
Total likes: 5 likes

Post by west ham15 »

Romford wrote:Considering our injury crisis...i think we've done rather well.
Well said Romford :thup:
Chip Korea

Post by Chip Korea »

Bilic is right... 5 draws and a defeat wouldn't be good at all, even 6 draws. 5 draws and a win is very acceptable especially with the injuries.

I watched the second half again and I have to say that I'm not sure Lanzini was that good.

I love him and Zarate. Zarate had a stinker* and Lanzini was an undoubted improvement, but I think the win was much more about Carroll and Antonio and switching Jenks to RB, and less so Lanzini's introduction.

And stats. Bilic seems to understand that a win gets 3 points and that to a very large extent you finish higher up the table the more games you win. 10 games or so in and the table was in strict 'no. of wins' order. But he also understand that a draw is infinitely better than a loss if you aren't going to win. Our no. of wins in the last 10 games is a pretty poor stat... but in terms of games unbeaten and total games lost we are right up there. Palace are the only other PL team to have gone 6 unbeaten, and only leicester and spurs have lost fewer games (we're joint third with arse).

* I suspect that this was in no small part to being asked to play twice in quick succession, and trying to be our sole creative outlet by himself. He is better with better players. He's is not the most naturally fit. He's increasingly looking like a striker to me (something I acknowledge plenty of people said a long time ago). Impact sub / one of a front two... he has little else to offer.