West Ham Utd 2-0 Liverpool (02/01/16)

Relive every moment of every first team game since the beginning of the 2005/06 season. Our archive of matchday threads originally posted in the General Discussion Forum.

Moderator: Gnome

RichieRiv
Has liked: 305 likes
Total likes: 799 likes

Re: West Ham United v Liverpool Match Thread

Post by RichieRiv »

A great day out despite the early kick off and the ****ed up trains. I could bang on with analysis about how good and how bad we were, but in short......
Romford wrote:Got to be our easiest ever win over Liverpool ever.
Could not agree more. They were proper pony. we were far from great, but showed them up.
ryanrc

Post by ryanrc »

SirStoneyOfBow wrote: I personally thought he got the end of his boot on the ball before the man [...]
the celestial insect wrote: That's what I saw too, FWIW.
I still don't think it's a foul. We were good value for the win today and that was excellent play for from Antonio, we all love to see our players busting a gut like that.
stu1
Has liked: 669 likes
Total likes: 1037 likes

Post by stu1 »

ryanrc wrote: I still don't think it's a foul.
Take those claret and blue specs off mate :lol:

Great work ethic from Antonio but it was 100% a foul.
SpongeBob's Pants
Has liked: 14 likes
Total likes: 16 likes

Post by SpongeBob's Pants »

Amazed people dont think its a foul.

He took nothing of the ball. In what world wasnt it a foul?

We got away with that particular decision, but overall, we countered them very well.
ryanrc

Post by ryanrc »

stu1 wrote:
Take those claret and blue specs off mate
Never you soft German. :wink:

Just caught the highlights on MOTD as well, I don't know why but I love Edin Terzic on the bench and all, always looks so happy when we score, that curly haired dreamboat...what?
smarthammer

Post by smarthammer »

From where I was sat thought a definite but soft foul on Moreno but the rolling around like he’d been clubbed to the floor while Antonio got up ran 100yds and connected with Valencia’s cross summed up the extra effort our boys put in to make up for their deluded so-called quality superiority and expectant returns.

Kouyate looked sharper today as well which helped with our mobility in midfield and as usual our captain covered every blade of grass. I always felt confident Collins or Oggi would clean up anything that got near our box or Benteke or when Tomkins was on the right wing. Cresswell also put in a decent shift.

Our passing went to pot for a bit once Lanzini’s quick feet and instant decision making left the field but Obiang’s positional sense and reading of situations might have lessened our intent but as the stats show, other than a couple of chances we restricted them to long range efforts that missed by miles or we had it covered.

Shame MOTD failed to show Dimitri’s piss-taking triple salko but we deserved the win and I’d only take Firmino and Can from their mid-table squad and even Shearer thought we battered them. AC's finish made for a perfect day.

Saw plenty of scouse looking for tickets prior to the game and thought their bit of the lower Sir Trev looked denser (including IQ) than ours, so maybe Romford’s jibbing suggestion has some truth.

Anyway, P 2 W 2 F 5 A 0 Pts 6 – Rogers and Klopp “Andy Carroll – he left cause your ****!!” :scarfer:
The Old Mile End
Has liked: 9 likes
Total likes: 104 likes

Post by The Old Mile End »

A great team performance and victory.

Dominated the first half, lost our way a bit once Lanzini went off, but dug in and put in a gritty second half performance.

Good to see Carroll getting in amongst the goals and fitting into the teams style of play more and more.

Three halves ago, we were struggling through a bad patch. We have turned a big corner since. It does rely on the return of our playmakers of course. However, at the end of the day - we have played every team in this league and only lost to 4 of them.

And we have now done the double over Liverpool in style and some considerable comfort it has to be said.

We are in January, and we are looking up the table.

:crest:
PhillyAmmer

Post by PhillyAmmer »

The last time we scored 5 against the scousers in a single season was 30-31, so I guess 2nd Jan will be another black armband day for them. The slow motion replays over here show it was not a foul and that is what the so called experts over here say as well , but either way you play to the whistle.
PhillyAmmer

Post by PhillyAmmer »

The Old Mile End wrote:A great team performance and victory.

Dominated the first half, lost our way a bit once Lanzini went off, but dug in and put in a gritty second half performance.

Good to see Carroll getting in amongst the goals and fitting into the teams style of play more and more.

Three halves ago, we were struggling through a bad patch. We have turned a big corner since. It does rely on the return of our playmakers of course. However, at the end of the day - we have played every team in this league and only lost to 4 of them.

And we have now done the double over Liverpool in style and some considerable comfort it has to be said.

We are in January, and we are looking up the table.

:crest:
I am led to believe that this time last year we had also only lost to 4 teams (cant do another smiley !)
Beavis Danzig
Has liked: 3 likes
Total likes: 776 likes

Post by Beavis Danzig »

PhillyAmmer wrote:I am led to believe that this time last year we had also only lost to 4 teams (cant do another smiley !)
War Pony
Has liked: 23 likes
Total likes: 89 likes

Post by War Pony »

To Benteke - "You're just a sh*t Carlton Cole" had me in stitches. About 70 mins in the wind took the rain straight into their plastic scouser mob, couldn't of been a better day!
Crossd_Hammrs
Has liked: 370 likes
Total likes: 221 likes

Post by Crossd_Hammrs »

Galwayman wrote:that was a fantastic start to 2016 - I love West Ham United.... :scarfer:
Best post in the thread : )
Crossd_Hammrs
Has liked: 370 likes
Total likes: 221 likes

Post by Crossd_Hammrs »

WHU_Del wrote:Fantastic feature on the history at the Boleyn on BTSport.
Crossd_Hammrs wrote:Anyone got a link, please?
For a viewer overseas, that is.
peter49uk wrote:Its on facebook Crossd_Hammrs
Ahh thanks, peter49uk.
This must be it:

Code: Select all

https://www.facebook.com/btsport/videos/999342440138958/?theater
sosc67

Post by sosc67 »

What a great win. and it was great to see Ginger Pele earned his motd award but what a great team effort, we really didn't want to give them a goal. :scarfer:
cockney farmer

Post by cockney farmer »

Carlsberg don't do football days , but train was on time , girl at holiday inn Stratford upgraded us to a room facing Olympic stadium and gave us complementary drinks , I blagged my way into supporters club , before and after game (sadly it appears for last time) got to shake hands with captain , smashed scousers , could have been 4 or 5 , took the missus up the shard ! Went in The George and then back to the Cow .. Cracking day , now for 6 hours traipsing round Wedtfiekds
EugeneSpeed
Has liked: 14 likes
Total likes: 16 likes

Post by EugeneSpeed »

stu1 wrote:Great work ethic from Antonio but it was 100% a foul.
Even if it was, it was at the other end of the pitch. He still had to run literally the entire length of the pitch to score the goal.
giantsteps

Post by giantsteps »

Very pleased with the way the game turned out really. Going into to it I couldn't decide which way it was going to go, but I was quietly confident after beating Southampton and with the fact that we've been playing pretty solidly at the back, also now we seem to be quite a force to be reckoned with at home (as apposed to earlier on in the season where we were picking wins up on the road).

Liverpool do seem to be pretty rudderless without Gerrard now. The bloke who sits next to me asked who'd I'd take in their current team in a straight swap for one of our players and I was genuinely stuck. Sturridge maybe when he's fit, but after that I'm struggling to think of anyone. They had their chances though and failed to convert, also surprised me that they had the majority of the possession. I can't remember Adrian having one save to make really.

We could of had 4 or 5 tbh. Lanzini's effort that hit the post was absolute class. Kouyate was put in on Mignolet, Carroll had another header to put us 3-0 up which rebounded and fell to Antonio. It could of been a lot more comprehensive. Both our goals were brilliant though, Valencia's cross for Antonio's was pretty much pin-point, and I thought both Valencia and Antonio played a lot more effectively on their respective wings. Carroll had better service and took his header really well. I see the MOTD pundits seem to be fawning over Aguero's header but I can't see much difference between his and Carroll's (but obviously this is to be expected with that poxy show).

Hope Lanzini's not out for to long. His passing / vision of the game is exceptional. And we've got Payet back! Loved his 25 min cameo in the 2nd half. Got to admire Bilic, he didn't have to bring him on at 2-0 up. But that's al credit to the manager, a great attacking philosophy, something we've not seen over at the BG for quite a while.

So pleased for Ginge getting MOM, my favourite player at the minute. And in undroppable form! Absolute warrior.
Rio
Ronnie Biggs was here
Has liked: 163 likes
Total likes: 1105 likes

Post by Rio »

What is it about us and Germans? We spend half a century trying to prove Geoff Hursts goal didn't cross the line, now we're trying to state Antonios effort shouldn't have counted. :eh:
Harry Hound
Location: "If you don't know the game, then you're still part of it"
Has liked: 67 likes
Total likes: 10 likes

Post by Harry Hound »

stu1 wrote:"ryanrc"
I still don't think it's a foul.

Take those claret and blue specs off mate

Great work ethic from Antonio but it was 100% a foul.
It was technically a foul when watching the replay on MOTD but the tackle was not malicious or dangerous or overly mistimed and the ref did not call a foul therefore it wasn't a foul. We've had hundreds of those decisions go against us as has every club and it's part of football and it certainly shouldn't detract in anyway from Antonio's excellent work rate, running and perfectly taken header. It was an excellent goal and well deserved. Even Shearer and the MOTD pundits who are normally pretty dismissive of WHU could not deny we did well yesterday. :crest:
danny faithless
Total likes: 1 like

Post by danny faithless »

The ref failed to give two blatant Liverpool fouls before he missed the one on their lightweight left back so I don't give a flying one if it was a foul. It's about time we got some luck this season. Not that we needed it because we did another job on them anyway.