FAC3: West Ham Utd 1-0 Wolves (09/01/16)

Relive every moment of every first team game since the beginning of the 2005/06 season. Our archive of matchday threads originally posted in the General Discussion Forum.

Moderator: Gnome

continental skills
Has liked: 43 likes
Total likes: 19 likes

Re: West Ham United v Wolverhampton Wanderers: FAC3 Match Thread

Post by continental skills »

[quote="Wembley1966"
This is the BBC highlights above for those of you outside the UK:
http://www.fullmatchesandshows.com/2016 ... ighlights/[/quote]

Thanks, Wembley, much appreciated!
mushy
Has liked: 640 likes
Total likes: 843 likes

Post by mushy »

Song's all round play is not bad, he does the fetching and carrying OK.
The problem he has is that he always tries to pick the killer pass, this rarely if ever comes off.
I don't know if he is under instruction to do this or its off his own volition.
Either way it doesn't look good.
Maybe he needs to just stick to what he is good at and leave the defence splitting passes to someone else.
sendô
Location: rubbing my eyes in disbelief - we've won a European trophy!
Has liked: 2426 likes
Total likes: 2637 likes

Post by sendô »

Song will come good when hes a bit fitter, he needs game time and the cup is the ideal platform.
Timbloom

Post by Timbloom »

Re the apparent chaos at Upton Park Tube after game.
We walked to Plaistow as it was clear that huge queue was already building up at Upton Park.
Waited about 15 mins at Plaistow for any sign of a train, by which time I have never seen platform as full.
Train eventually comes in and doesn't stop, and as it passes slowly through it seemed to be only about 25% full with several Police per carriage looking a few sheepish Wolves fans. Never seen that done before. What were they expecting - we had a few Wolves fans at Plaistow and both sets were happily chatting to each other.
Soon after that train another came along. I had said to my son we will stand no chance for several trains as there must be thousands of Hammers waiting to get on after the Wolves special had gone from Upton Park. Amazingly this train was only 25% full and all waiting got on.
Sounds like complete shambles at Upton Park. I, for one, can't wait to go to Olympic Stadium.
DrVenk
Has liked: 359 likes
Total likes: 467 likes

Post by DrVenk »

Managed to get in the BML, took my missus for the first time to indoctrinate her, and couldn't have picked a worse game. So, so, so dull. Here's my take:

First ten minutes we were still in the dressing room. Wolves had a few good crosses whipped in which we didn't quite deal with.

Then we managed to gain some control of possession, at which point one thing was obvious to me - Jenkinson was ridiculously lazy. I could not believe how lazy he was off the ball. In possession he just jogged upfield to the right-wing back slot and stood there. Out of possession he slowly jogs back to the right-back slot, sometimes not even making it back there before the Wolves attack had finished. It seems like passes to Jenkinson were ignored, so Cresswell had to work harder to be the main wide outlet.

Song was very frustrated first half. There were a couple of times when he wanted to pick the ball up deep from the keeper and recycle possession quickly. The other players were not on that wave length. Others are digging out Song, but I think he is a player that wants to take control of the game, press the opposition, and play a more attacking game at a higher tempo. Yesterday, we played a very slow conservative game, and he just didn't fit into this strategy.

Antonio and Zarate were coming inside a lot and too many of our attacks broke down because our passing was not accurate enough. It needed to be with a congested midfield, but our movement off the ball was quite bad and numerous attacks just fizzled out. Zarate is another player, like Song, who seems to prefer a high tempo, more direct attacking game. He was busy but ineffective because that just wasn't the team's approach.

Jelavic is not a target man. He can't play the lone role on his own, and it is unfair to ask him to do so. He was on a hiding to nothing until Carroll came on and we went two up top. When he did, he showed he is intelligent off the ball, and capable of making intelligent runs. A couple of nice lay-offs to Carroll too.

Bilic changed formations at least 3 times yesterday - 4-1-2-3 and other variants of in the first half, then a diamond 4-4-2 and 4-2-4 after the substitutions. I think that showed he got the team set up wrong - Wolves had far too much time on the ball in their half, and early on they carved us open a few times. Too much respect, and we could have pressed higher, played two up top, and been more aggressive in the tackle.

But hey, hindsight and all that. Good to see Obiang strut his stuff for periods, and horrible to see Jenkinson go through the motions. What has happened to him?
Roby
Has liked: 250 likes
Total likes: 257 likes

Post by Roby »

My brother and I got wet walking to Plaistow after the game.

When we got there there must have been a couple of hundred people queuing OUTSIDE the station to get in which I've never seen before. Thought stuff that for a game of soldiers so waited and got a bus to Stratford which ambled along and hopped on the tube there.

Terrible weather and terrible transport. And to be fair the game wasn't much better.

Jelavic was abysmal again and really should have been taken off before he finally scored. I think he would have been booed if he'd come off before then as a few people around me in chav corner were getting restless and he was looking as bad as Dowie and Chapman did in their latter years here.

Maybe he's just one of those players who doesn't offer anything at all apart from putting away chances in the box? He earned his wages yesterday and got us through to the next round so fair play to him.

Wolves looked terrible and brought back some bad memories of how teams used to roll up at Upton Park in our stints in the Championship and just sit back and try and nick a point.
mushy

Post by mushy »

Timbloom wrote: Sounds like complete shambles at Upton Park. I, for one, can't wait to go to Olympic Stadium.
Where the complete shambles will just move to Stratford tube.
Jubilee line will be fine but the combined Central/c2c platform is I reckon even small!er that the Upton Park platform,will be long queues there.
I was also on that Plaistow train and noticed a good 80% on that train got off at West Ham.
Is it too far to walk from Plaistow?
arlhe
Has liked: 235 likes
Total likes: 178 likes

Post by arlhe »

Anyone hear what happened to the Wolves player who was carried off?
Collison Theory
Has liked: 18 likes
Total likes: 24 likes

Post by Collison Theory »

Like others, I thought Obiang was MotM, Reid was a bit of an odd choice, considering how little attacking they did. Collins dealt with more balls coming in, but also did his once a match f*** up, charging out for a ball and completely misjudging it.

Totally different side with the little genius Payet on. Jelavic is clearly not able to play that lone striking role, he did absolutely nothing until Carroll came on alongside him. Still, cracking finish in the end, so job done!
mushy

Post by mushy »

arlhe wrote:Anyone hear what happened to the Wolves player who was carried off?
Just become Liverpool's second signing of the window.
westham,eggyandchips
Has liked: 1978 likes
Total likes: 1466 likes

Post by westham,eggyandchips »

mushy wrote:Song's all round play is not bad, he does the fetching and carrying OK.
The problem he has is that he always tries to pick the killer pass, this rarely if ever comes off.
I don't know if he is under instruction to do this or its off his own volition.
Either way it doesn't look good.
Maybe he needs to just stick to what he is good at and leave the defence splitting passes to someone else.
Id love to see his pass completion stats for yesterday. He seemed to give the ball away almost every time he had it.
The Old Man of Storr
Has liked: 2642 likes
Total likes: 1747 likes

Post by The Old Man of Storr »

Jelavic's first goal for West Ham was against Wolves , Jelavic's last goal for Hull was against Wolves .
fjthegrey
Has liked: 14 likes
Total likes: 1170 likes

Post by fjthegrey »

Let's be honest, they didn't come to have a go at all. They were pants. They didn't roll the dice. We were frustrated by their outright negativity and our midfielders struggled to create anything because there wasn't a pass forward on.

We deserved to win simply because we tried to. They deserved to lose because they didn't. I won't be over assessing anyone in our team when we're playing against outright negativity of that sort. It seemed like they were in damage limitation mode from the start.
Korea Hammer
Has liked: 1316 likes
Total likes: 772 likes

Post by Korea Hammer »

arlhe wrote:Anyone hear what happened to the Wolves player who was carried off?
Nowhere near as bad as feared. He tweeted that he'll be training in a few days
" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
wasserburg_hammer
Has liked: 34 likes
Total likes: 40 likes

Post by wasserburg_hammer »

Thanks for the update, KH!

Good to hear he's up and about again.
vietnammer
Bucky the beaver
Has liked: 621 likes
Total likes: 579 likes

Post by vietnammer »

He's actually been out since 2013 with a back injury and it did look serious yesterday but all's good I guess
Korea Hammer
Has liked: 1316 likes
Total likes: 772 likes

Post by Korea Hammer »

Looking at the Wolves fans' forum, one thing that comes across is how much affection there is for the Boleyn. A few posts about how sorry they are it will be their last visit.
Het-Field
Location: Its great to be Irish, but its a miracle to be a Dub
Has liked: 25 likes
Total likes: 322 likes

Post by Het-Field »

"Mr Moon"?

Have heard that several times before.

Anybody know the backstory?
e17
Has liked: 280 likes
Total likes: 940 likes

Post by e17 »

Het-Field wrote:"Mr Moon"?

Have heard that several times before.

Anybody know the backstory?
Code for the fire alarm
Het-Field
Location: Its great to be Irish, but its a miracle to be a Dub
Has liked: 25 likes
Total likes: 322 likes

Post by Het-Field »

e17 wrote: Code for the fire alarm

Thanks! Just saw that Jack Sullivan told the story earlier last year!