FAC3: West Ham Utd 1-0 Wolves (09/01/16)

Relive every moment of every first team game since the beginning of the 2005/06 season. Our archive of matchday threads originally posted in the General Discussion Forum.

Moderator: Gnome

Hockley Hammer
Has liked: 1 like
Total likes: 30 likes

Re: West Ham United v Wolverhampton Wanderers: FAC3 Match Thread

Post by Hockley Hammer »

fjthegrey wrote:We deserved to win simply because we tried to. They deserved to lose because they didn't. I won't be over assessing anyone in our team when we're playing against outright negativity of that sort. It seemed like they were in damage limitation mode from the start.
I agree completely. With Payet and Carroll always likely to come on if we struggled it would have been much harder had we gone behind. They put commendable effort in to frustrate us but their lack of ambition surprised me when we were so obviously disjointed and below par.
It was like a mid-table Championship game till Payet and Carroll came on.
Colours never run
Location: "Be in no doubt, we are part of the most successful stadium migration in history"
Has liked: 6811 likes
Total likes: 2363 likes

Post by Colours never run »

Losing Afobe at the 11th hour would have severely disrupted their best laid plans for attacking us. I can understand their lack of ambition to attack once they had no real focal point.

We did deserve to go through from what I can gather, being the team that apparently tried to win it on the night, like you say.
vietnammer
Bucky the beaver
Has liked: 621 likes
Total likes: 580 likes

Post by vietnammer »

Noticed they played Zeppelin's Whole Lotta Love at the interval. Anything to do with the fact that Robert Plant is on Wolves' board (I think), and was he at the game?
Eggs'n'nuts
Has liked: 153 likes
Total likes: 333 likes

Post by Eggs'n'nuts »

fjthegrey wrote:Let's be honest, they didn't come to have a go at all. They were pants. They didn't roll the dice. We were frustrated by their outright negativity and our midfielders struggled to create anything because there wasn't a pass forward on.

We deserved to win simply because we tried to. They deserved to lose because they didn't. I won't be over assessing anyone in our team when we're playing against outright negativity of that sort. It seemed like they were in damage limitation mode from the start.
Another one that agrees with you fj. On the Song front, it seems to me he's always looking to pass the ball forwards, as opposed to sideways or backwards. Even if it's a simple ball. Don't know if anybody else noticed, with this in mind and from where I sit (BMU), he seemed to give Jenks a bit of a b*****king in the first half for not being where he expected him to be; i.e, a bit further upfield.
Crossd_Hammrs
Has liked: 364 likes
Total likes: 209 likes

Post by Crossd_Hammrs »

carnage wrote: If you are playing Lanzini, Payet and 1 of Moses/Antonio/Valencia in behind 1 striker then there is only room for 2 of Noble, Obiang and Kouyate.
Rio wrote:Then Obiang & Kouyate for me. But the modern game dictates that we rotate. So Noble for me with Obiang Tuesday to counter Bournemouths expansive game and Saturday Obiang deep and Kouyate to track Wijnaldum as well as add aerial threat to attack their defensive weakness in the air.
Have I missed something about Song?
simonirons
Has liked: 372 likes
Total likes: 159 likes

Post by simonirons »

Crossd_Hammrs wrote:
Don't you know?? - when you come back from a 6 month lay off, you get 5 games to get back up to speed before you start getting called dog *****.
prophet:marginal
Has liked: 838 likes
Total likes: 1980 likes

Post by prophet:marginal »

All this 'forward pass' jibber jabber. He was misplacing 20 yard passes under no pressure at all, regardless of the intended direction.

Against more adventurous teams, we would have been badly punished.

If he wasn't fully fit, why did he play the whole 90? To me, he is woefully out of form.

As TPP suggests, the team is simply better without him in it
bubbles1966
Location: I'm holding onto nothing, and trying to forget the rest
Has liked: 2437 likes
Total likes: 4293 likes

Post by bubbles1966 »

prophet:marginal wrote:All this 'forward pass' jibber jabber. He was misplacing 20 yard passes under no pressure at all, regardless of the intended direction.

Against more adventurous teams, we would have been badly punished.

If he wasn't fully fit, why did he play the whole 90? To me, he is woefully out of form.

As TPP suggests, the team is simply better without him in it
The team that could not keep a clean sheet for love nor money? The one with four clean sheets in his five games back?

It's a bit more complicated than is sometimes portrayed.
the pink palermo
Huge noggin
Has liked: 759 likes
Total likes: 2943 likes

Post by the pink palermo »

bubbles1966 wrote:
The team that could not keep a clean sheet for love nor money? The one with four clean sheets in his five games back?

Last week you were giving the credit for that to Tomkins .
Burnley Hammer
Location: was Colne, Burnley, Hull, Colchester, Norwich, Derby.... Now Nottingham
Has liked: 232 likes
Total likes: 2563 likes

Post by Burnley Hammer »

Surely no single player can make the difference between shipping goals in left right and centre, and keeping a string of clean sheets? I would say it was a case of early season naivety from Bilic, which he's since learnt from.
Rio
Ronnie Biggs was here
Has liked: 159 likes
Total likes: 1080 likes

Post by Rio »

simonirons wrote: Don't you know?? - when you come back from a 6 month lay off, you get 5 games to get back up to speed before you start getting called dog *****.

Not the case. But he's clearly off the pace still, which is no suprise, and every one of his midfield rivals is in better form. It's not like previous years when we would have rushed someone back for the sake of it. He'll get his place back, but will have to earn it
Burnley Hammer
Location: was Colne, Burnley, Hull, Colchester, Norwich, Derby.... Now Nottingham
Has liked: 232 likes
Total likes: 2563 likes

Post by Burnley Hammer »

Rio wrote:He'll get his place back, but will have to earn it
It'll be interesting to see if he has the right attitude to do that.
bowltorious
Has liked: 17 likes
Total likes: 25 likes

Post by bowltorious »

Lets give Song some time shall we. For half a season last year he was the best player I'd seen play for us and we were ALL calling him world class. Yes he hasn't been the same but he was carrying an injury for the second half of the season and has only just come back for this one. I for one just hope he gets a run of games and gets back to that because he was something else to watch. Literally had me giddy and laughing about how much he was taking the piss during games and his composure was second to none.
bubbles1966
Location: I'm holding onto nothing, and trying to forget the rest
Has liked: 2437 likes
Total likes: 4293 likes

Post by bubbles1966 »

Burnley Hammer wrote:Surely no single player can make the difference between shipping goals in left right and centre, and keeping a string of clean sheets? I would say it was a case of early season naivety from Bilic, which he's since learnt from.
I agree it's not a case of a single player and I disagree that it has anything to do with naivety.

In both cases, it's mainly to do with balance.

We get rumbled by teams that run about a lot , and quickly.
the pink palermo
Huge noggin
Has liked: 759 likes
Total likes: 2943 likes

Post by the pink palermo »

bowltorious wrote:Lets give Song some time shall we. For half a season last year he was the best player I'd seen play for us and we were ALL calling him world class..
No, we weren't .
The Head of Brooking
Has liked: 38 likes
Total likes: 11 likes

Post by The Head of Brooking »

prophet:marginal wrote:All this 'forward pass' jibber jabber. He was misplacing 20 yard passes under no pressure at all, regardless of the intended direction.
Abolutely, there were three in a row out to Cresswell where he had to turn back to stop it going out of play.

But, he's getting far too much flak for his performance. There was no movement in front of him, with the exception of a few runs from Antonio. None of the midfield trio were moving into the space between the Wolves midfield and defence, so he had nowhere to go.

Wasn't until Carroll came on and we had 2 up front that we looked even remotely dangerous.

Song needs people making runs in front of him.
Turns to Stone
Has liked: 229 likes
Total likes: 1453 likes

Post by Turns to Stone »

Without Lanzini in the side the midfield lacks balance. Obiang, Noble, Kouyate and Song are all fine sitting in keeping possession and winning the ball back, but Lanzini is the only one who can naturally play in between the opposition back four and midfield and links things up.

When he's fit, it will be two from those four in my opinion. As we're yet to Song play a game with Lanzini and Payet in the team, I'll hold fire on him, safee to say just how wonderful it is to be arguing about who to drop out of those four as opposed to watching Matt Taylor and Mark Noble anchor the midfield.
The Head of Brooking

fjthegrey wrote:We deserved to win simply because we tried to. They deserved to lose because they didn't. I won't be over assessing anyone in our team when we're playing against outright negativity of that sort. It seemed like they were in damage limitation mode from the start.
Yeah, but we have to be able to break down sides who look to get 10 men behind the ball. Too slow yesterday and no movement up front.
carnage
Has liked: 84 likes
Total likes: 707 likes

Post by carnage »

Crossd_Hammrs wrote:
He is the new Nolan.

On a serious note, when he is fully fit and at his best he walks in to the team.
The Head of Brooking

carnage wrote:On a serious note, when he is fully fit and at his best he walks in to the team.
Maybe, but at the moment he's neither, so on the bench for me,