Newcastle Utd 2-1 West Ham Utd (16/01/16)

Relive every moment of every first team game since the beginning of the 2005/06 season. Our archive of matchday threads originally posted in the General Discussion Forum.

Moderator: Gnome

mushy
Has liked: 640 likes
Total likes: 841 likes

Re: Newcastle United vs West Ham United - Match Thread

Post by mushy »

Its no surprise to me one jot that they looked faster and fitter then us, thats because they are.
They have been resting all season, coasting through games without breaking into a sweat, while we have generally been playing a high energy game.
Clough and Ferguson in the past both accused West Ham of cheating their fans as we would be complete dross all season then play at home against the likes of Man Utd and suddenly look like world beaters. They were right, and this is exactly what the Geordies and Shelvey have been doing all season.
They looked fresher because they are fresher, their season started about three weeks ago, Shelvey's started on Saturday.
Swansea must hate him.
Ours started back in July.
LincolnshireHammer
Has liked: 8 likes
Total likes: 46 likes

Post by LincolnshireHammer »

mushy wrote:Its no surprise to me one jot that they looked faster and fitter then us, thats because they are.
They have been resting all season, coasting through games without breaking into a sweat, while we have generally been playing a high energy game.
Clough and Ferguson in the past both accused West Ham of cheating their fans as we would be complete dross all season then play at home against the likes of Man Utd and suddenly look like world beaters.
Clough and Fergie were right, it's what we've done for quite some time...

Maybe that's why as fans we can't seem to get up for the games when the bottom half teams visit Upton Park. I would however take beating the like of Chelsea, Arsenal and losing to Newcastle, Watford rather than the other way round.
Kermit
Has liked: 94 likes
Total likes: 321 likes

Post by Kermit »

Estuary wrote:First half Bilic was out thought, and the team were out played and out fought. Newcastle were excellent.
Their midfield annihilated ours by simple movement, finding space to pick up the ball and using the spare man quicker, and when we did have the ball they worked to shut our options off and without Lanzini who can usually find space, the ball and a pass into our front line we had no answer. Time and again they found space to receive the ball and make an effective pass where West Ham players in a similar positions dillied and dallied and either got caught on the ball or made a poor pass, not just Noble, but Payet, Valencia, Kouyate, in fact nobody was immune.
Shelvey ran the first 15 mins in which the game was ripped away from us, he dropped off into space between either his back line and our midfield and also higher up between our midfield and our defence and had time and space to pick his passes which he made tell with no small amount of skill.
Newcastle pushed Sissoko up onto Cresswell who cannot deal with big athletic opponents, and he shat himself every time the ball came near him.They also pushed their right back up when ever they could and we just didn't have any cover out there, who was playing left side midfield for us? It was very hard to tell what shape we were supposed to have when defending.
We really could have got beat by five or six had Newcastle forwards had their finishing boots on. But as it was we learned a little over the half time and changed shape and upped the tempo, we also moved Valencia off leading the line, which he just cannot do, and put Jela on, whose energy and movement helped us get a toe hold back in the game to the extent that had it gone on two minutes longer we probably would have got a draw, which would have flattered us.
I trust Slaven to have learned from the errors of the first half, and hope that our collective off day, and in particular Payet's really poor showing was a blip. Onwards and upwards.
Pretty decent summing up imo , apart from the bit about Bilic being out thought first half. I'd suggest that the purchase of Shelvey necessitated a bit of a rethink because the early planning for the game wouldn't have allowed for him being in Newcastle's line up. I thought the tactical adaptations made at half time resulted in a big improvement although, unfortunately, not big enough to bring a point back with us.

Next Saturday will be another big test so let's keep fingers crossed we can bounce back with an impressive performance. My Arsenal supporting friends in my local have said they'll cough up for all my beer during our Friday nights in February if we turn them over.
mushy
Has liked: 640 likes
Total likes: 841 likes

Post by mushy »

LincolnshireHammer wrote:Clough and Fergie were right, it's what we've done for quite some time...

Maybe that's why as fans we can't seem to get up for the games when the bottom half teams visit Upton Park. I would however take beating the like of Chelsea, Arsenal and losing to Newcastle, Watford rather than the other way round.
I agree, West Ham fans have been cheated by the club in this respect for years.
But you are also right in the fact that a few choice home wins paper over all the cracks caused by the diabolical perfomances played against the so called weaker teams.
We could be relagated, but as long as we won our last four home games against Chelsea, Arsenal, Man Utd and Spurs. the fans would be happy!
I think (and I hope), this is largely in the past.
I cant think of many, if any games this season where you could fault the effort.
Colours never run
Location: "Be in no doubt, we are part of the most successful stadium migration in history"
Has liked: 6811 likes
Total likes: 2363 likes

Post by Colours never run »

Good points made, Mushy.

I can excuse the side on the rare poor performance for their usual excellent ones for most of the season. Saturday doesn't bother me in the slightest in the grand scheme of things.
Romford
Big X

Post by Romford »

Quick thank you to everyone who helped me Saturday after a bad fall (Home and Away fans) on the Chinatown cobbles.

Luckily no bones were broken and just ligament damage in my shoulder and right ankle.

Cheers :crest:
GaryP
Total likes: 71 likes

Post by GaryP »

Romford wrote:Quick thank you to everyone who helped me Saturday after a bad fall (Home and Away fans) on the Chinatown cobbles.

Luckily no bones were broken and just ligament damage in my shoulder and right ankle.

Cheers :crest:
Clearly you wasn't pissed enough or there would be no damage at all winky thing
Romford
Big X

Post by Romford »

Im on the wagon :fsake:
Spex

Post by Spex »

I thought this was going to be tough as Newcastle have really started to turn it round the last few games. We came out of the traps very poorly and got over run in the first half. The damage was done and was too much to turn round second half.

We must, at all costs, finish higher than Tot scum.
Merv
Has liked: 80 likes
Total likes: 47 likes

Post by Merv »

Shelvey cleared by the FA according to the Mail.
Romford
Big X

Post by Romford »

Newcastle did their homework...they jumped on Noble every time he recieved the ball.

Our 2 centrebacks shortfall is pace.

We let Shelvey run the game.

Too many of our star players has off days

Poor...very poor.
frankiemac

Post by frankiemac »

Romford wrote:Newcastle did their homework...they jumped on Noble every time he recieved the ball.

Our 2 centrebacks shortfall is pace.

We let Shelvey run the game.

Too many of our star players has off days

Poor...very poor.
bang on...they did what bilic does...they took players out of the equation who could hurt them...its no coincidence payet didnt get a sniff, they were all over him...because he was man marked, noble had no outlet and ended up going sideways and backwards

i think had we had carroll/sakho/lanzini we would have been less predictable, but we have to learn to cope without

overall i was disappointed...that said, we very nearly nicked a point at the death!

city wont focus on us as much, they will play to their strengths, which means hopefully a more open game and will give us the opportunity to break and hurt them...that said, if they are firing on all cylinders, it could go badly for us!