Newcastle Utd 2-1 West Ham Utd (16/01/16)

Relive every moment of every first team game since the beginning of the 2005/06 season. Our archive of matchday threads originally posted in the General Discussion Forum.

Moderator: Gnome

richneal
Location: Vancouver, British Columbia. 5,000 miles from goal.
Has liked: 3 likes
Total likes: 12 likes

Re: Newcastle United vs West Ham United - Match Thread

Post by richneal »

Newcastle's midfield dominated - consistently winning the 50/50 balls - even the ones that didn't ping of Valencia's feet.

We looked much, much better when Moses came on.

Newcastle deserved the win - yes, potentially came close to nicking an undeserved point but they were the team to watch today. Good luck to them.
DannyboyDJL
Has liked: 40 likes
Total likes: 200 likes

Post by DannyboyDJL »

There wasn't a single away win in the league yesterday. All the teams had played away Tuesday/Wednesday. Yesterday was nothing more than a tired team for me. We'd played at the opposite end the country 4 days earlier with players who still aren't in top shape. Big ask for Payet, Valencia and Obiang who have just come back from big injuries or lack of minutes and for Antonio and Cresswell who ran their b*llocks off on Tuesday.
sutts07
Has liked: 24 likes
Total likes: 539 likes

Post by sutts07 »

DannyboyDJL wrote:There wasn't a single away win in the league yesterday. All the teams had played away Tuesday/Wednesday.
Must admit, I noticed that a lot of teams (Bournemouth, Newcastle, Tottenham, Villa etc...) were all given back to back home games... I didn't realize it was every single team in the fixture list though!

Newcastle, Bournemouth, Aston Villa, Tottenham, Liverpool, Swansea, Stoke, Southampton, Man City and Chelsea... all had home ties on Tue/Wed and are at home this weekend. That is surely an oversight to the fixture list?

It was a lackluster looking performance from us and Newcastle were by far the sharper and better team for well over an hour, if not the full game.
giantsteps

Post by giantsteps »

We had back to back home games after Boxing Day though (Southampton and Liverpool) but agree, from the south coast on Tuesday night to Newcastle on Saturday - it is a lot of schlepping about.

Back to the game and re: Payet. I thought the Geordies done a good job of keeping him quiet as apposed to him having a "poor game" as quoted by some. Often I saw black & white striped shirts doubling up on him, namely Janmaat and whoever else was closest.

Effectively it was our slow start that done us though. I took us best part of 30 mins to actually get in the game.
prophet:marginal
Has liked: 836 likes
Total likes: 1980 likes

Post by prophet:marginal »

I thought the pass and general play around their second was as good as to stand out and win the match for NUFC. I worried beforehand that Shelvey would do us some damage and it appears the fears were justified. He also elbowed Enner in the face, but someone's going to have to have a direct word in our player's ear; that repeated rolling around on the floor is embarrassing. Much as I am a big fan of his play, generally, I see that Kouyate is also occasionally involved in similar.

It was a shame that our unbeaten run ended yesterday, because I had earmarked us for problems in our next match too.

What I can say, however, with some force, is that ours is a team which doesn't seem to sulk. City will feel the backlash of the dropped points at SJP, or the Sports Direct Circus, whatever its now actually called.

Is anyone able to update on Zarate? That's two matches now when he's not even been on the bench. We selling?
bigcarpchaser
Has liked: 22 likes
Total likes: 44 likes

Post by bigcarpchaser »

JohnnyMoncs wrote:^^^ Just had a quick look over the last 2 seasons: we conceded 3 goals in the 1st 15 minutes of games last season and 6 so far this season (7 if you inc Arter's 17th min goal the other night).
Thanks JM
hammer1975
Has liked: 933 likes
Total likes: 1088 likes

Post by hammer1975 »

PM
Zarate talking to Malaga - from jinxed on he transfer thread

Presuming they're awaiting Amrabat to go through to free up funds
carnage
Has liked: 84 likes
Total likes: 707 likes

Post by carnage »

All the midfield were not great yesterday. Noble is morphing in to a poor version of Ray Wilkins. Payet gave the ball away a lot but you expect that from someone who creates chances and goals. Not every killer ball will come off.
miles
This site...
Has liked: 303 likes
Total likes: 383 likes

Post by miles »

The boys looked knackered yesterday. You'd have expected the ones who were fresh coming into the team to give us some impetus but they didn't.
prophet:marginal
Has liked: 836 likes
Total likes: 1980 likes

Post by prophet:marginal »

hammer1975 wrote:PM
Zarate talking to Malaga - from jinxed on he transfer thread
Thanks

Hope we're replacing him. Preferably with an upgrade.
hammer1975
Has liked: 933 likes
Total likes: 1088 likes

Post by hammer1975 »

PM - Sounds like we're going all out for Tore but near the end of the window, same source
arlhe
Has liked: 235 likes
Total likes: 178 likes

Post by arlhe »

Can't pick anyone specifically out for criticism, lots of poor performances, especially in midfield.

I've changed my mind on Jelavic. Well worth the third striker spot.

Clever ploy from Newcastle to leave Collins to bring the ball out. I suspect we'll see lots of that from the opposition going forward.
carnage
Has liked: 84 likes
Total likes: 707 likes

Post by carnage »

arlhe wrote:Can't pick anyone specifically out for criticism, lots of poor performances, especially in midfield.

I've changed my mind on Jelavic. Well worth the third striker spot.

Clever ploy from Newcastle to leave Collins to bring the ball out. I suspect we'll see lots of that from the opposition going forward.
I doubt it as Reid will soon be back in the side.
simon1982
Has liked: 1 like
Total likes: 1 like

Post by simon1982 »

Having just seen the elbow on Valencia I think shelvey will be spending the next few weeks on his backside. Pretty naughty but I'm not surprised the officials missed it .
brooking_1980
Has liked: 12 likes
Total likes: 58 likes

Post by brooking_1980 »

Well Newcastle are a stronger outfit than the table shows, they have spent quite a bit on players, Wijnaldum, £14.5m, Mitrovic £13m, Shelvey £12m, all costing more than our most expensive player on the pitch yesterday, Payet. Shelvey making debut playing out of his skin, point to prove after Swansea.

For ourselves, the long trips this week, the lack of a true striker to hold up the ball, to bring other people in hurt us. If we had Carroll yesterday, it would have been wholly different. Antonio looked totally knackered, he's been playing marvellous, somethings didn't quite go our way, still we nearly got the draw. It does annoy that our 1st halves can be quite bad, Tottenham, Watford, Newcastle. Its the converse of last season where we were giving goals away towards the end.

Anyways, very happy where we are, and I do hope we get a mean goalscorer in the next 2 weeks, its so open season, anything can happen.
jaybs
Has liked: 21 likes
Total likes: 8 likes

Post by jaybs »

We just never got started in that first half, they seemed to cut through us like paper! and their ground when it is buzzing like it was with such backing from fans is really intimidating, quite a few of those supporters will have nice new jackets this week with the free jacket from their owner if they beat us?

Second half was much better, we seemed to get in out stride a lot more, and it was good to get the goal back, as some read their iPhone's of course from some on facebook it was the usual blame on one player only! you would think there we played with one player only!

Felt for Payet, he never got started everything he seemed to do was wrong? but I could not see anything on the bench that would have inspired us? is Reid making up the numbers on the bench?

A bad day at the office, which we seem to have against lower sides? but we move on next weekend will be tough we need to be in the right frame of mind.
sutts07

Post by sutts07 »

simon1982 wrote: I'm not surprised the officials missed it .
Despite being around 6 yards away from it, running towards it and looking in that general direction.

I really do wonder about these refs sometimes.
jaybs
Has liked: 21 likes
Total likes: 8 likes

Post by jaybs »

sutts07 wrote:
I really do wonder about these refs sometimes.
They are going weaker for me, I know corners are no big loss, but he missed two clear ones, one for each side, we never wanted goal line technology but we got it! we do have to follow rugby and have someone watching the game an extra official who can speak to the referee quickly in his ear, it will Not slow the game down, in rugby they are often not even in the ground, in the broadcast truck! there is far too much at stake in the modern game for mistakes to be made like they are.
sutts07

Post by sutts07 »

jaybs wrote:we do have to follow rugby and have someone watching the game an extra official who can speak to the referee quickly in his ear
If we followed the game of rugby, play would have carried on until the ball went dead, the video ref would have cited Shelvey and he would have been sent off with a free kick being awarded to us for the restart.

Justice done without any stoppage to the game. No brainer for me at this level.

He was MOM by a long way yesterday and they would have had to rearrange their shape to cover for him so it goes without saying how much that would have changed the game.

A retrospective ban does f**k all for us as we don't have to play them again.
sutts07

Post by sutts07 »

Too much to ask for the ref to see that??