Newcastle Utd 2-1 West Ham Utd (16/01/16)

Relive every moment of every first team game since the beginning of the 2005/06 season. Our archive of matchday threads originally posted in the General Discussion Forum.

Moderator: Gnome

ireland hammer

Re: Newcastle United vs West Ham United - Match Thread

Post by ireland hammer »

sutts07 wrote:Too much to ask for the ref to see that??

DIRTY b*stard
irving boleyn
Has liked: 61 likes
Total likes: 82 likes

Post by irving boleyn »

Shelvey was the surprise package,

I guess that normally Bilic would have clocked his influence and tried to nullify it....But it was a lot to ask to respond in less than the 15 minutes it took to score the two very quick goals
giantsteps

Post by giantsteps »

One of the Newcastle hacks on Sunday Supplimemt on Sky said "it was a yellow card at best". :?

Apparently the FA are looking into it for retrospective punishment now.
Sauce!
Location: sitting on a bucket on a hamper in the corner of the old wigwam.
Total likes: 5 likes

Post by Sauce! »

irving boleyn wrote:Shelvey was the surprise package,

I guess that normally Bilic would have clocked his influence and tried to nullify it....But it was a lot to ask to respond in less than the 15 minutes it took to score the two very quick goals
New broom syndrome, we should have expected that. Doubt Shelvey will have another game as influential as that this season.
Aycliffe

Post by Aycliffe »

All good runs come to an end but we had been flirting with a defeat for a while! A great turnout yesterday but the mood was quickly killed with that disappointing first half performance. We were better in the 2nd half and in hindsight we should have maybe started Jelavic. Not many positives but I thought Moses was decent when he came on. Onwards and upwards and hopefully back to winning ways against City next week.

Seemed a bit lively when we came out of the ground and there seemed to be plenty of "banter" going on between rival fans. We were greeted with Bubbles when we got back on the Newcastle supporters bus from grinning Geordies, not a pretty sight I can tell you!!
ryanrc

Post by ryanrc »

I've only seen match of the day but christ we didn't cover ourselves in glory defensively did we (including the midfield). We need Reid back and a proper fullback at RB and Nobes really does need to cut out this one mistake per game lark and all, just dilly dallys too much at times.

Credit to Jelavic who's been working his knackers off and has produced some quality in the last few games.

Not the end of the world though, I think they've been playing well lately and the travelling hasn't helped. Let's hope we can get a point against city. I don't rate Pellegrini tbh and if you get at them they're there for the taking at the back, but players like Aguero can bury you regardless.
frankiemac

Post by frankiemac »

giantsteps wrote:One of the Newcastle hacks on Sunday Supplimemt on Sky said "it was a yellow card at best". :?

Apparently the FA are looking into it for retrospective punishment now.
Nailed on red card for the cheating tossed

Annoying how we let him dictate the game

Geordies gotta wit game plan right..gave us no time on the ball, forced the error and didn't allow our playmakers to get on the ball...nullify payet and you eliminate 80% of our attacking threat as it all comes through him

Noble...always looks for payet...the option was rarely there so he ended up going sideways or backwards...

Every time the Geordies attacked they looked like gettingomethung, which made us more cautious tbh
DrVenk
Has liked: 359 likes
Total likes: 467 likes

Post by DrVenk »

We looked tired yesterday and Newcastle just wanted it more. That's the big picture.

The smaller picture is Ogbonna's questionable concentration/positioning and Collins poor distribution; a midfield that generally can't retain position and play its way out of trouble when pressed; and an attack where we sorely lack options.

We're fine, it was a wobble yesterday, but I still think there are defensive and midfield issues that could turn a very good season into only an OK one.
bubbles1966
Location: I'm holding onto nothing, and trying to forget the rest
Has liked: 2436 likes
Total likes: 4292 likes

Post by bubbles1966 »

Having re-watched it, it's fair to give them a bit of credit.Both their goals were perfectly executed pieces of football - purposeful passing, strong running, excellent technique.

Trying to play football when some players constantly surrender the ball to the opposition through weak body strength, poor control, slowness of movement and slowness of thought is always going to be an uphill task.

Jelavic has probably moved up the pecking order for the number 9 role at ours. Moses and Jenkinson also did okay when they came on.
Colours never run
Location: "Be in no doubt, we are part of the most successful stadium migration in history"
Has liked: 6811 likes
Total likes: 2363 likes

Post by Colours never run »

I thought Jenkinson was starting to look like his old self of last season. I'm hoping he's turned the corner and regained some much needed confidence which he has been severely lacking of late, but it's early days to know for sure yet after such a disasterous run of form since the beginning of the season.
Colours never run
Location: "Be in no doubt, we are part of the most successful stadium migration in history"

It can't be too much of a surprise as to why they looked fresher and more up for the game than us considering the difference in preparation leading up to the last couple of Premier League fixtures.

Newcastle were at home for both games, whereas we've travelled the length of England in the space of a few days in 2 difficult away games.

I was impressed to think we were still in with a shout of a result, after a convincing away win against Bounremouth. 3 points to Newcastles 4.

I think it also helped Newcastle that Shelvey was as fresh as a daisy not playing for Swansea or against Man Utd in previous game.

It's just those first halve starts we need to try and address to get better.
kevino
Has liked: 1 like
Total likes: 1 like

Post by kevino »

Got back late this afternoon. Great weekend, apart from the football but I've said that a few times when travelling to watch us (not often this season though).

Thought we were fortunate to only lose by 2 1 to be honest. Sadly we didn't turn up on the day and not one of our lot had a good game. Probably best to forget this one and move on as if we dropped everyone who had a bad game yesterday, we probably wouldn't have a team for next week
Burnley Hammer
Location: was Colne, Burnley, Hull, Colchester, Norwich, Derby.... Now Nottingham
Has liked: 232 likes
Total likes: 2570 likes

Post by Burnley Hammer »

Not sure I buy this not being fresh due to 2 away games excuse. Doesn't explain why we looked equally unfresh in other first halves recently. The Newcastle game felt like a continuation of this rather than a one off. I honestly think McClaren also knew this and set his team up accordingly. If we don't start getting on our game from kickoff, it wont be long before every team starts upping the first half tempo against us.
Geordie Hammer
Has liked: 7 likes
Total likes: 13 likes

Post by Geordie Hammer »

To quote the other half (who is now barred from going to games) "they keep passing to the men in black n white". So simply (and accurately) put.
Colours never run

Burnley Hammer

I thought we looked jaded for 90 minutes and very leggy, lacking proper movement to get into space. The typical energy we've been good at as a team, wasn't there for large chunks of the game.
Aceface
Has liked: 358 likes
Total likes: 1446 likes

Post by Aceface »

frankiemac wrote: Nailed on red card for the cheating tossed
It's in an unusual situation of almost certainly being a 3 game ban but also not being that bad. Too many bans for little scuffles and too few for bad tackles at the moment. Perhaps I'm being influenced by it being an absolute pussy like Valencia on the end of it. He goes down like that from someone in the crowd belching and the gust hitting him.

Like after the Man U fixture, it's of no use to us to see him banned anyway. Rather he was available to play Watford than not.
Burnley Hammer
Location: was Colne, Burnley, Hull, Colchester, Norwich, Derby.... Now Nottingham
Has liked: 232 likes
Total likes: 2570 likes

Post by Burnley Hammer »

Colours never run wrote:Burnley Hammer

I thought we looked jaded for 90 minutes and very leggy, lacking proper movement to get into space. The typical energy we've been good at as a team, wasn't there for large chunks of the game.
I honestly think it's more a case of Newcastle simply made us look that way due to the incredibly high intensity they played with.
Colours never run

In fact when I think about it, it was the complete reverse when they struggled to get going after their long trek south without the best preparations. They looked worse that day than we did on the weekend. We at least looked a threat in front of goal on occasions where they offered nothing. They rarely play high intensity but the weekend did flatter their work rate with all things considered without having to travel at all and debut players completely rested before playing. All fine margins which work in favour of teams.

It's still no excuse for our poor starts to games this season. Just thankful our 2nd halves are excellent by comparison.
Estuary
Has liked: 278 likes
Total likes: 117 likes

Post by Estuary »

First half Bilic was out thought, and the team were out played and out fought. Newcastle were excellent.
Their midfield annihilated ours by simple movement, finding space to pick up the ball and using the spare man quicker, and when we did have the ball they worked to shut our options off and without Lanzini who can usually find space, the ball and a pass into our front line we had no answer. Time and again they found space to receive the ball and make an effective pass where West Ham players in a similar positions dillied and dallied and either got caught on the ball or made a poor pass, not just Noble, but Payet, Valencia, Kouyate, in fact nobody was immune.
Shelvey ran the first 15 mins in which the game was ripped away from us, he dropped off into space between either his back line and our midfield and also higher up between our midfield and our defence and had time and space to pick his passes which he made tell with no small amount of skill.
Newcastle pushed Sissoko up onto Cresswell who cannot deal with big athletic opponents, and he shat himself every time the ball came near him.They also pushed their right back up when ever they could and we just didn't have any cover out there, who was playing left side midfield for us? It was very hard to tell what shape we were supposed to have when defending.
We really could have got beat by five or six had Newcastle forwards had their finishing boots on. But as it was we learned a little over the half time and changed shape and upped the tempo, we also moved Valencia off leading the line, which he just cannot do, and put Jela on, whose energy and movement helped us get a toe hold back in the game to the extent that had it gone on two minutes longer we probably would have got a draw, which would have flattered us.
I trust Slaven to have learned from the errors of the first half, and hope that our collective off day, and in particular Payet's really poor showing was a blip. Onwards and upwards.
Last edited by Estuary on Mon Jan 18, 2016 11:19 am, edited 1 time in total.
Aceface
Has liked: 358 likes
Total likes: 1446 likes

Post by Aceface »

Kouyate had a 100% pass completion on Saturday according to at least one stats aggregator (another says he misplaced one for 98%).

Much better from him.