West Ham Utd 2-2 Manchester City (23/01/16)

Relive every moment of every first team game since the beginning of the 2005/06 season. Our archive of matchday threads originally posted in the General Discussion Forum.

Moderator: Gnome

Romford
Big X

Re: West Ham Utd vs Manchester City: match thread

Post by Romford »

Mega Ron wrote:I had a couple of run ins with some City fans on the way to the game yesterday.

Firstly when some old guy on the train took exception to a few very drunk City fans. They threatened him then got in his face asking what he was going to do about it. I told the guy who seemed to be their leader that if they didn't **** off that myself and almost everyone around us would look after the old guy. They then made out that they were joking rather than being lairy shits and got off the train.

Next up a group of about half a dozen tried to take my chips off me as I was walking to the ground as apparently they 'hadn't eaten since breakfast'. This time, as I was on my own, loads of our lot told them to **** off.

I've never had any issues when we've played Man City before and I hope this isn't a sign of things to come with them.
I've been saying for the last few years that their support quality wise has gone downhill.....a lot of mouthy wanabees who fancy a go when they have the numbers sadly.

Not the same chaps who followed them in the 90s
mjustincredible
Has liked: 29 likes
Total likes: 27 likes

Post by mjustincredible »

mjustincredible wrote:Off for a full English in Greenwich, then the 'Meantime' Brewery Tour around the corner for my mates Bday this afternoon, by the time I rock up at the Boleyn I should be in a 'lively' state. Predict an entertaining 2-2 draw!
got the 2-2 at 10-1 also :thup: . A very good day, worth the hangover today
paulthebubble

Post by paulthebubble »

Great game. So proud of our team. We deserved the 3 points and should have won. Definite red card for denying a goal scoring opportunity. If it was Aguero going for goal I'm sure he'd have given the red.
Unlucky on their second goal. Payet was incredible and his free kick was a goal but for the great save by Hart. Really good performances throughout the team. What a difference to how we've played City this year to when we surrendered to them in the League Cup SF.
Great time to be a Hammer and good times ahead. :scarfer:
War Pony
Has liked: 23 likes
Total likes: 86 likes

Post by War Pony »

No affiliation to this plastic mob at all. I hope next time we give them a slap! See quite a few of their youngens out for trouble which did surprise me. I generally thought we had a good relationship with em.

Cannot trust those northern lot, spose.
Het-Field
Location: Its great to be Irish, but its a miracle to be a Dub
Has liked: 25 likes
Total likes: 322 likes

Post by Het-Field »

Strange, I met some City heads on the tube, and they were decent skins.
steveyrockstar
Has liked: 171 likes
Total likes: 757 likes

Post by steveyrockstar »

GrahamF wrote:The idiot in the Sun who gave the ref 8/10 is the same idiot who gave most of our players 6/10 and just gave Valencia and Payet 7/10 yet Aguero got 9/10 and the defenders at fault for our second goal also got 7/10.
The player ratings in The Sun are now based entirely on opta stats rather than being the subjective (made-up?) opinions of a journalist. I think the player ratings now show why cold, hard stats don't always tell the story.
ageing hammer
Has liked: 484 likes
Total likes: 1474 likes

Post by ageing hammer »

I don't need stats to tell me how we did yesterday.

I have been watching us for over 50 years and am delighted with how we played yesterday.

We have limited the rich boys to just one point this season and could have taken all of the points.

For a few fleeting moments in that game yesterday we played better than Barcelona COYI :scarfer:
Adam 'The Smudge'

Post by Adam 'The Smudge' »

ageing hammer wrote:I don't need stats to tell me how we did yesterday.

I have been watching us for over 50 years and am delighted with how we played yesterday.

We have limited the rich boys to just one point this season and could have taken all of the points.

For a few fleeting moments in that game yesterday we played better than Barcelona COYI :scarfer:
Well said old son.
Delighted is how I felt too.
Glory Hunter
Location: Dreaming Dreams, Scheming Schemes, Building Castles High
Has liked: 13 likes

Post by Glory Hunter »

Mega Ron wrote:
Next up a group of about half a dozen tried to take my chips off me as I was walking to the ground as apparently they 'hadn't eaten since breakfast'. This time, as I was on my own, loads of our lot told them to **** off.
Funny that, walking to the Wolves game the other week some runty kid shoulder barged me and knocked my chips on the floor then a bigger bloke behind him said (in a comedy Brummie accent) 'ooh look, that bloke's dropped his chips!'. Clearly the little guy was trying to get a reaction so his mates could wade in. Maybe it's a new tactic from these so called 'firms'. :lol:
kevino
Has liked: 1 like
Total likes: 1 like

Post by kevino »

I noticed something going on in the BML, towards the east stand, I think just after our 2nd. Lots of stewards seemed to be wading in. Anyone see what happened or were we just being a bit boisterous, and understandably so?!
smarthammer

Post by smarthammer »

Can't say I saw anything untoward walking back to East Ham yesterday other than a lot of contented Hammers!!

Just watched the Sky coverage (whole game) tonight and can't believe the pace, energy and commitment against the superstars. Seeing their 2nd on TV (and how fortunate the ball broke etc) shows just how close we were to beating again the most expensively assembled team in the PL and other than Kompany we faced the full fat city.

Unlike the win at the Etihad or last season at the Boleyn this time we pretty much matched them all over the pitch in all the stats and if we'd got the red card - I think we'd have done them proper.

Exciting times gentlemen :scarfer:
Romford
Big X

Post by Romford »

ageing hammer wrote:I don't need stats to tell me how we did yesterday.

Great post mate

Must also chuck in about how poor all the other matches seem ,quality wise,when you watch them live on TV compared to how we a playing most weeks.

There is not one team we need to fear this season.
Hockley Hammer
Total likes: 30 likes

Post by Hockley Hammer »

Proud of the whole team on Saturday and nothing to complain about with the way we played. We were excellent all round and from the beginning to the end.

On another day their penalty might not have been given.

On another day that tackle on Antonio would be a red card limiting City's attacking ambition.

On another day that mishit clearance falls straight at Ginge's foot and the ball ends up on the roof.

That's how far we have come bemoaning why we didn't beat the strongest club in the league, and it was nothing to do with the manager, the players or the tactics.

Happy days.
Gnome
Quite eloquent for a garden ornament
Total likes: 45 likes

Post by Gnome »

A few words on the “red” card “wasn’t he the last man?” incident. The “last man” is just one of the criteria referees have to look at in these circumstances.

The guidance given to referees suggests that they consider “4 ‘D’s” in coming to their decision: distance from the goal where the offence took place, distance from the ball, the direction of play and the number of covering defenders. The guidance says that if there is doubt on any one of the 4 the referee should not treat the offence as denial of goalscoring opportunity (or DOGSO as they like to call it).

The first one is ok – it was close enough to the box to be dangerous (not a Tony Gale halfway line incident).

The second one is ok – Antonio would clearly have got to the ball to do something with it had he not been hacked down. It wasn’t going out before he got there.

The third one is ok – Antonio was heading towards the box rather than the corner flag (not a Tony Gale running across the pitch incident).

The fourth one is where there was obviously doubt in the ref’s mind. There were defenders square of the play and if the ref thought that there was a chance one might have managed to get across to prevent a shot he would have had to issue only a yellow card.

I don’t think the covering defender would have prevented the shot myself. However the fact that he was in the frame at all is probably the reason Demichelis stayed on.

I think Pawson was wrong but I can understand why he saw it as a yellow.
fjthegrey
Has liked: 14 likes
Total likes: 1170 likes

Post by fjthegrey »

I personally think it was a yellow. Otamendi is fairly quick and I think he'd have got across to at least stop Antonio from having a clean shot at goal. He'd have, at the very least, given him something else to think about.

The Diego Costa one yesterday, even though he did throw himself to the floor, was a guy going clean through and definitely getting a shot away without any pressure from another defender. A straight red for sure. I think they were both correct decisions.
k-r-c
Has liked: 28 likes
Total likes: 211 likes

Post by k-r-c »

fjthegrey wrote:I personally think it was a yellow. Otamendi is fairly quick and I think he'd have got across to at least stop Antonio from having a clean shot at goal. He'd have, at the very least, given him something else to think about.

The Diego Costa one yesterday, even though he did throw himself to the floor, was a guy going clean through and definitely getting a shot away without any pressure from another defender. A straight red for sure. I think they were both correct decisions.
Agree with that, sums it up about right.
stevenmj
Total likes: 3 likes

Post by stevenmj »

Funny that, walking to the Wolves game the other week some runty kid shoulder barged me and knocked my chips on the floor then a bigger bloke behind him said (in a comedy Brummie accent) 'ooh look, that bloke's dropped his chips!'. Clearly the little guy was trying to get a reaction so his mates could wade in. Maybe it's a new tactic from these so called 'firms'
That little c**t barged into me as well. He was with a group of w*****s walking line abreast, and he actually threw his shoulder into me. I turned on him and told him to 'f**k off or else', and they all just kept walking. without glancing back. What's the matter with these morons?
Colours never run
Location: "Be in no doubt, we are part of the most successful stadium migration in history"
Has liked: 6811 likes
Total likes: 2363 likes

Post by Colours never run »

I completely agree with you, Gnome on it.
Hockley Hammer
Total likes: 30 likes

Post by Hockley Hammer »

fjthegrey wrote:I personally think it was a yellow. Otamendi is fairly quick and I think he'd have got across to at least stop Antonio from having a clean shot at goal. He'd have, at the very least, given him something else to think about.

I'd agree as well as regards to the decisions.
What rankles me is that I am pretty certain if that was Collins or Reid doing it at one of the big clubs they would be sent off on both occasions.
The Gibbins
Maggot infested twat
Total likes: 10 likes

Post by The Gibbins »

It was a great game of football, we have had some crackers at home to City the last few years. I think a draw was a fair result in all honesty but either team could have nicked it. I just love watching us play this season, its typical i gave my ticket up this season :lol:

Payet is just a joy to watch, he has it all and lights things up every time he has the ball. I could watch him all day. I thought Song put a decent shift in as well, he seems to play a lot better against quality opposition and i thought we did well defensively and were unlucky for the second goal, the bounce of the ball went against us.

City really need to sort their defence though, it could be the reason they don't win the league this season. Otamendi has been a disaster, he always seems to be in the wrong positions and i think Di Michelis has seen better days, he can't cope with the pace of the game. I do think that was only a yellow card, there was a player covering but he took a gamble and got lucky.