West Ham Utd 2-2 Manchester City (23/01/16)

Relive every moment of every first team game since the beginning of the 2005/06 season. Our archive of matchday threads originally posted in the General Discussion Forum.

Moderator: Gnome

ironsonthebrain
Has liked: 644 likes
Total likes: 119 likes

Re: West Ham Utd vs Manchester City: match thread

Post by ironsonthebrain »

How far have we come since the Summer that a draw against Citeh is considered a bit of a disappointment?
Jenkinson's cock up aside it was a great performance, Payet is outstanding, Antonio gets better with every game and Byram made a tidy debut!
All in all , good times - such a shame it's our last season at the Boleyn but looks like we'll go out on a high! :scarfer:
Beavis Danzig
Has liked: 3 likes
Total likes: 733 likes

Post by Beavis Danzig »

we might have had the three points against 10 men, but it would've come with a giant asterisk.

we played the best squad in the league off the park for the best part of 90 minutes. that's worth more than two points to me (as long as we don't make a habit of it).
jhammers
Has liked: 72 likes
Total likes: 28 likes

Post by jhammers »

Brilliant performance. I really do love this team. Thought Noble, Payet + Song were the standouts, but everyone played well.

Wonder if Bilic will start getting some credit now? :eh:
GaryP
Total likes: 71 likes

Post by GaryP »

Shedite wrote:Anyone find a video of the incredible 1-2 between Payet and Byram?
Uploaded this ...

http://www.mediafire.com/watch/dfipf556 ... et_1-2.mp4" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
JLCABA
Has liked: 202 likes
Total likes: 160 likes

Post by JLCABA »

Sam Byram looked like he has been a Premier League Right Back for about 15 years

Collins and Reid , almost expected brilliance

Song 2nd half as good as I have ever seen him , and I have been very critical of him

Kouyate superb

Pleased as **** for Enner

But ...Dimi was completely out this world . Footballer of the Year perhaps ?
Johnny Byrne's Boots
Has liked: 1788 likes
Total likes: 2073 likes

Post by Johnny Byrne's Boots »

JLCABA wrote:......................

But ...Dimi was completely out this world . Footballer of the Year perhaps ?
It'll be Rooney. It's always Rooney.
Burnley Hammer
Location: was Colne, Burnley, Hull, Colchester, Norwich, Derby.... Now Nottingham
Has liked: 232 likes
Total likes: 2570 likes

Post by Burnley Hammer »

The thing that impressed me the most about song and payet is that no matter how much pressure they were under, they always looked for an intelligent pass and never once resorted to an aimless punt.
JLCABA
Has liked: 202 likes
Total likes: 160 likes

Post by JLCABA »

Johnny Byrne's Boots wrote:
It'll be Rooney. It's always Rooney.
Sorry JBB .. A schoolboy error of monumental proportion on my part ... Yes Rooney , he is far more deserving of the award
hammerdivone

Post by hammerdivone »

Ozil is jokingly the bookies favourite
mushy
Has liked: 640 likes
Total likes: 843 likes

Post by mushy »

hammerdivone wrote:Ozil is jokingly the bookies favourite
Only since those witty Arsenal fans made up the Ozil song and the media started commenting on how great the song is/Ozil is/the fans are.
You couldnt make it up.
window74
Location: 5000 miles away in NC & yet only minutes away from Wembley!
Has liked: 669 likes
Total likes: 8 likes

Post by window74 »

Sterling & Barkley both above Payet, staggering really.

http://talksport.com/football/top-five- ... 0102179679" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
OnePaulHilton
Total likes: 16 likes

Post by OnePaulHilton »

Re the red/yellow card. I think whether there was cover or if it was a goal scoring opportunity is a red herring. For me he made no attempt to play the ball and just took the player out which should be a sending off, no matter where it happens on the pitch. On another matter what's the longest anyone has managed to go without singing the Payet song in their head since Saturday night? My record is about 20 minutes
Sir_Trevor
Has liked: 258 likes
Total likes: 338 likes

Post by Sir_Trevor »

window74 wrote:
Sterling & Barkley both above Payet, staggering really.

http://talksport.com/football/top-five- ... 0102179679" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

And Cabaye as one of his subs, who is a decent player but has been pretty meh this season - I should know he's in my fantasy team.

Talksport are just clickbait merchants, though. They just post the most controversial nonsense hoping to wind people up to make them respond. It's exactly the same with the phone ins where Durham and Gough always, by total coincidence, take the opposing points of view to generate faux outrage.
Karlos

Post by Karlos »

One of the most enjoyable matches at Upton Park in absolutely ages. Just a real good game of football, under the lights and with a great atmosphere to boot.

How many years ago was it we lost to this lot 9-0 over 2 legs? Two years? Blimey, how far have we come in that time, it's almost hard to believe.

Please, please, please can I be greedy and ask for the treble over Liverpool this Saturday now?!

COYI
Grandad Hammer

Post by Grandad Hammer »

Karlos wrote:
Please, please, please can I be greedy and ask for the treble over Liverpool this Saturday now?!

COYI
That's not greedy - the way the team are now playing its not unreasonable. However I'm going to be really double greedy, Top 4, please.
WestHamByTheSea
Location: Turning the TV off, making some tea, and saying modern life well it's rubbish...

Post by WestHamByTheSea »

Got back home to Dorset tonight after a great birthday weekend (21 again, literally) in the smoke, and the game was a fitting highlight. As entertaining a match as one could hope for - a West Ham who aren't scared of any oppo, even a City side who on one level weren't perhaps a their best (although most of that i'd say was cos of how good we were), but were still going for the win like we were... about 10 mins from the end, I pointed out to wizzo next to me how rare it was to see both goalkeepers throwing the ball out to their wingers as fast as they could; how often do you see that nowadays where two of the best teams in the league are still going hell-for-leather to win the game at 2-2 when the point was there to settle with (or perhaps more pertinently to lose)?

Hard to find fault with anyone really, though Jenks cameo might effectively be the end of him here. Byram really looks the business - in the context of the game (both in terms of the oppo and the crazy first 10 minutes or so before he came on), he displayed not only the ability for which we've signed him for, but a real 'match maturity'... he combined a performance of what he's naturally good at with reining himself in a bit cos that was what was required in the situation. He didn't go bombing forward willy-nilly to impress us - just played a very disciplined, controlled game that fitted what was needed. I think we've got a goodun here; what with him, Cresser and Antonio, it looks like we're doing some very good scouting from that division.

Defensively excellent bar the odd inevitable moment; Reid superb, and Ginge right on it again. It's great we have that pool of 4 very good CB's now, and the squad strength shone through again.

Antonio was brilliant - I don't think their backline had come up against something like that before. Not slagging Slav but I really don't think he should have come off, at least not for Moses; the latter didn't offer much and certainly didn't track back to help out Byram and co. Not gonna slag Moses cos he's coming back from a fair while out, but it's a no-brainer for me that Antonio starts unless a match-fit Moses does something special. Antonio fits what we do brilliantly - rugged, fast, direct and scary, mixes beautifully with the flair of Payet and in time Lanzini.

Song - magnificent, best I've seen him for well over a year - have to hold my hands up and say I didn't see that performance happening. Hopefully the chaps on here who've asked us all to be patient on his fitness are at the start of being proven right, he was immense. Maybe he does play better against better opposition? His screening of the back 4 allowed Nobes to drop a bit further forward, which then allowed him to do his stuff better (ie. picking a pass to get us moving forward again). Nobes was superb as a result, and for the first time in a few games didn't look as if he was having to do 2 players jobs - Song was covering the back; Nobes was taking the ball in the middle of the park; Kouyate was feeding off the short passes therein from both of those guys, and the attacking players didn't have to drop back to get the ball. Kouyate was excellent compared to late, largely as a result of Song and Nobes having cracking shifts just behind him. Lanzini still to come back in there somewhere, and Obiang just waiting in case one of them nods off a bit... what a wonderful selection problem we have there!

Valencia - 2 fab goals v AFCB but I didn't see much else in that game... v City, another 2 goals and he was a threat right throughout. I've never quite been sure whether he's a striker or a number 10 (never seen him as a winger), but Saturday he was a classic striker; buzzing around and giving City problems across the line all day. Good for him - I was starting to lose patience with him but he's put himself right back in the mix; his place in the side is possibly up for grabs as or when we get another striker in or even when Lanzini comes back - for his part he's doing the business; more of the same please Enner.

Payet - least words needed out of anyone cos he's that special. Pure genius. The catalyst for what we intend to do over the next 2-3 years. 50 million and we should still say no...and he's happy here.

Only weird bit was as we were leaving; kicking off in the STBL right at the end. Seemed a rather unlikely fracas what with a 2-2 between two sets of generally friendly supporters - wondered whether it might be an early experiment as to how to get one's seat out of the ground before we leave (ie having it thrown back at you by a Manc?). Fortunately it was once almost everybody had left. Bit odd though.

All in all, royally entertaining football. I'm not gonna slag off the previous management, but I have to admit, the game on Saturday was why I don't begrudge ****ing out so much dosh and travelling so many miles to see my beloved team. If that was anybody's first trip to the Boleyn, it should've hooked them for life. More of the same please West Ham - give us more of that in our last few nights at the old girl, and hopefully on into the OS.

And if we play like that again soon, with one or two tweaks here and there, I think there'll be at least one more 4/5-0 tonking handed out to someone before we leave. No prizes for guessing against who under the lights!

:scarfer:
mumbles87
Has liked: 55 likes
Total likes: 935 likes

Post by mumbles87 »

ironsonthebrain wrote:How far have we come since the Summer that a draw against Citeh is considered a bit of a disappointment?
Jenkinson's cock up aside it was a great performance, Payet is outstanding, Antonio gets better with every game and Byram made a tidy debut!
All in all , good times - such a shame it's our last season at the Boleyn but looks like we'll go out on a high! :scarfer:
what I like the most is that in the summer we made 3 shrewd overseas signings (Payet, Ogbonna and obaing) taking advantage of the pounds strong value against the euro. We followed this up with a punt from overseas that has turned out well and even been down to the lower leagues twice (given one wasnt until january) both of which seem to be very shrewd signings.

follow this up with a goal scorer in the summer and some back up for the first team then we have a real chance of europeon tours for next few seasons