FAC4: Liverpool 0-0 West Ham Utd (30/01/16)

Relive every moment of every first team game since the beginning of the 2005/06 season. Our archive of matchday threads originally posted in the General Discussion Forum.

Moderator: Gnome

prophet:marginal
Has liked: 836 likes
Total likes: 1980 likes

Re: Liverpool v West Ham United: FAC4 Match Thread

Post by prophet:marginal »

If Sir_Trev's comment above is right, that there is no chance of using a newly registered striker in the replay (it rings a bell on reflection), I am little unclear as to why we didn't redouble our efforts to replace Zarate before this match. Bilic is after all on record as saying how important the competition is to us this year.

Here was the clearest opportunity of ensuring early passage into the next round. Their defence was Lovren, a loanee from the fizz and a couple of kids and we were so toothless, Mignolet of all keepers was dribbling the ball about and dummying our forwards.

I am pleased to get to a replay, of course, but also a little unsure about which West Ham are going to turn up for it.
bubbles1966
Location: I'm holding onto nothing, and trying to forget the rest
Has liked: 2437 likes
Total likes: 4292 likes

Post by bubbles1966 »

Their reserve back 5 (three are starters) cost the best part of £50m, Benteke cost £32m. We had at least half a team of reserves/third choices on the pitch as well.

Carroll is back for the replay, and there's a reasonable chance that Lanzini and Sakho are as well.

I suspect that the replay will actually feel like a cup tie. Yesterday's game never did.
Hot Bot

Post by Hot Bot »

We drew against Liberpool's kids/reserves? From what I could find on transfer market our starting XI cost us this much (although Song and Moses might have loan fees I don't know about):
Ran: 0
Cress: 3.33
Reid: 2.94
OG: 7.7
Tomka: 0
Song 0
Obiang 4.2
Kouyate 5.25
Payet 10.7
Moses 0
Enner 10.5
Total: 44.62

Benteke cost 32.55 and Clyne 12.39 - that's more than our team on two players. Add in Mignolet, Lovren, Allen who all definitely cost something, plus some of their kids won't have been free, and which team should be winning the tie on paper? Shows the excellent work we've done in the market compared to the dross their 'transfer committee' sign

bubbles1966 wrote:Their reserve back 5 (three are starters).
Fair point, although fees paid are possibly not the best guide as to quality.

Some might wonder how heavily over-priced at least one of our players was, after last night's near anonymity...
Kermit
Has liked: 94 likes
Total likes: 321 likes

Post by Kermit »

I think some are being a tad too critical of our front players. Payet wasn't at his best yesterday and we lost Kouyate early doors. Add that mix to the obvious absence of Lanzini and the fact that Moses may as well have stayed on the coach and I think we can see the real reason. We did improve, imo, when Antonio came on but not enough to snatch the decisive goal.

But is there a problem? After all we drew. At Anfield. At the start of the season I'd bet if any of us were told "You're at Livepool in the 4th round of the cup, will you take a 0 - 0?" we would have ripped their hand off.
Jarvo
Total likes: 1 like

Post by Jarvo »

Hot Bot wrote:We drew against Liberpool's kids/reserves? From what I could find on transfer market our starting XI cost us this much
Ridiculous isn't it?!

Souness kept rolling out the "Men vs Boys" line at every ****ing opportunity on the Bein sports coverage last night, give me a ****ing break :thdn:
Billydinho
Has liked: 174 likes
Total likes: 767 likes

Post by Billydinho »

Shocking game of football that felt like neither team had any intention of trying to win.

Even if we had nicked a winner, that cheating ref would have found a reason to disallow it.

Also what is with their ploy of making a pass and then dropping to the floor as if they were caught late? It was happening all game and it's blatant cheating, hedging your bets should your pass be sh*t and you get a free kick.
Burnley Hammer
Location: was Colne, Burnley, Hull, Colchester, Norwich, Derby.... Now Nottingham
Has liked: 232 likes
Total likes: 2570 likes

Post by Burnley Hammer »

True, but if we're saying that then we can't forget Valencia's blatant dive in the penalty box either.

As ever, the truth finds itself somewhere between two extremes.

Perhaps the best point that LFC (and their coachload of commentating fans) can make is that, pitted against Song and Obiang were Allen (who has just come back from injury) and 2 kids/reserves in Brannagan and Stewart and they generally held their own in there.

Smith, their full back, obviously had a better opportunity, because he was playing against Tomkins, who is unlikely to look to maraud down the line in support of an attack and O'Brien (who has just come back from injury too).

Anyway, as Bubbs has already noted, the reality is that they will harp on about 'boys vs men' because it allows them to ignore the fact that Benteke is one of the most expensive flops in recent years.

And, of course, the fact that Caulker clearly intentionally handled whilst Jelly's flick was on its way through to Reid inside the 6 yard box.
aaronhammer
Has liked: 168 likes
Total likes: 38 likes

Post by aaronhammer »

Billydinho wrote:Shocking game of football that felt like neither team had any intention of trying to win.

Even if we had nicked a winner, that cheating ref would have found a reason to disallow it.

Also what is with their ploy of making a pass and then dropping to the floor as if they were caught late? It was happening all game and it's blatant cheating, hedging your bets should your pass be sh*t and you get a free kick.
I think both teams didn't want to lose, but if they could nick a goal it would be best. It wasn't really worth the 8 hours of driving yesterday it has to be said.

I feel that Atkinson did exactly that when Antonio hit the post. Liverpool felt it had gone out, the linesman hadn't given it, and he blew up for a foul - which although I've not watched a replay and only saw it from my seat at the game, seemed very strange.

On your final point, I think that was mainly Texieria. He was an embarrassment, basically a **** Suarez. I was praying JOB would hit him hard to give him something to roll around for.
sendô
Location: rubbing my eyes in disbelief - we've won a European trophy!
Has liked: 2424 likes
Total likes: 2636 likes

Post by sendô »

The best bit for me was JOB, not long after coming on, completely mugged off their LM 3 times in a row, drawing the foul each time.
carnage
Has liked: 84 likes
Total likes: 707 likes

Post by carnage »

carnage wrote:We looked a lot worse when Kouyate went off.

At the end of the day we have lost to far worse teams than that last night so a draw is a good result.
I'll rephrase that. Liverpool looked more threatening when Kouyate went off.
hammers92
Has liked: 317 likes
Total likes: 1748 likes

Post by hammers92 »

I enjoyed my sausage roll from the kiosk yesterday, that was pretty fun.

We were outstanding again, as per usual (the fans)

You made a decent fist of ruining their opening YNWA :thup:
jaybs
Has liked: 21 likes
Total likes: 8 likes

Post by jaybs »

Yes we got a draw! and a chance for the replay, not a match to remember, feel for all those loyal Hammers who drove up from London, at least I only had a 25 minute drive. At least we backed the team and completed with the scousers in voice!

You can't say much about the match, clear there was no one leading the team, the difference that Mark Noble makes and still some refuse to see it?

We need to pick ourselves up for Tuesday another day another night under the lights.
mushy
Has liked: 640 likes
Total likes: 842 likes

Post by mushy »

prophet:marginal wrote:
And, of course, the fact that Caulker clearly intentionally handled whilst Jelly's flick was on its way through to Reid inside the 6 yard box.
When Caulker retires from football he could easily get a job as the juggler in a circus.
Burnley Hammer
Location: was Colne, Burnley, Hull, Colchester, Norwich, Derby.... Now Nottingham
Has liked: 232 likes
Total likes: 2570 likes

Post by Burnley Hammer »

Not failing to see the importance of Noble - but not instead of Song. Song clearly tackles more than any other player. Nobles strength is in his passing. Together they'd make a good duo. Not sure he'd have made that much of a difference yesterday though. Whoever plays in front of them should be relieving the pressure a little more, and that's where we go wrong imo. We're reliant on Payet at the moment, and we shouldn't have so much reliance on one player. Moses's pass success is 75%. Antonios is 65%. Both put in an average of 0.5 crosses per game. Both make less than 1 key pass per game on average. Both do far less successful passes per game than Payet and Lanzini. I think this is where we're going wrong - we just can't keep the ball when it gets into the attacking half. It just comes straight back again and again, which is why the focus of every game seems to be around Noble, Song, and Co. Antonio does offer a lot in terms of effort and tracking back, I'll give him that, but from an attacking and possession point of view Moses and Antonio need to do much better. This is why we really miss Lanzini. How can we really expect Carroll to prosper when our wide players bar Payet are not even averaging 1 cross per game. From a width point of view, Cresswell offers more attacking threat than both Moses and Antonio.

When Payet has a bad game, we're screwed from an attacking point of view.
Swiss Pauli
Has liked: 423 likes
Total likes: 155 likes

Post by Swiss Pauli »

Payet was poor but I don't understand why Bilic didn't switch him and Valencia for a spell. Kloppo out tacticked Slav yesterday.
bowltorious
Has liked: 17 likes
Total likes: 25 likes

Post by bowltorious »

Hearing alot of victimpool fans trying to say it wasn't a back pass today. Any truth in this before I start giving them abuse? 8-)
thejackhammer
Total likes: 2 likes

Post by thejackhammer »

We certainly had an off day. Tomkins, Cresswell and Payet all crossed the ball straight off the pitch at one point, Payet tried his tricks a little bit too deep at times, Valencia started brightly but faded quickly. Moses wasn't much use but Antonio came on and looked much better. Arguably we should have had a penalty or two, a different referee and maybe we do then we go away laughing that we've played so poorly and nicked a win. Fine lines.

We'll win the replay.