West Ham Utd 2-0 Aston Villa (02/02/16)

Relive every moment of every first team game since the beginning of the 2005/06 season. Our archive of matchday threads originally posted in the General Discussion Forum.

Moderator: Gnome

Doc H Ball
Has liked: 916 likes
Total likes: 1918 likes

Re: West Ham Utd v Aston Villa: match thread

Post by Doc H Ball »

Pulls up Trees wrote: No smoke without fire...
MOTM last night and still the first name on the team sheet.

I hope it sticks in your craw.
Iron Mark
Has liked: 3 likes
Total likes: 8 likes

Post by Iron Mark »

The offside was marginal, not sure if it was or wasn't so goes down as "umpire's call" for me.

The second yellows thing is weird because Noble didn't do anything to warrant a second yellow, but should have got his first earlier (no way of knowing how his behaviour would have changed). Collins I thought was stupid, but Howard Webb apparently said it wasn't a yellow.

The handball would have been very harsh, one you claim if it was for you but complain if it is given against. Didn't look deliberate but seen them given.

Villa fans should be aiming their frustrations at Ayew, rather than decisions that could go either way.

Saying that, I still remember the penalty we should have had in the home game last season.
Het-Field
Location: Its great to be Irish, but its a miracle to be a Dub
Has liked: 25 likes
Total likes: 322 likes

Post by Het-Field »

carnage wrote:Loved the opposition view comment about having just got home, not seen any replays but our first goal was offside.
Its strange how a team with such poor prospects is still attempting to find reason other than their team is absolutely crap, and their squad is a goner.
carnage
Has liked: 84 likes
Total likes: 707 likes

Post by carnage »

DDHammer wrote:
It weren't mate, they did a line across the pitch, his whole lower half was behind the Villa players
Thanks. But my point was his would he know, with the likelihood he was 100 yards away.
Pulls up Trees
Has liked: 1 like
Total likes: 1 like

Post by Pulls up Trees »

Doc H Ball wrote:
MOTM last night and still the first name on the team sheet.

I hope it sticks in your craw.
See that's the kind of attitude that shows a feeble mind. No other opinions can possibly exist for you... He was terrible in the first half, probably the worst one but he has a decent second 45 against 10 desperate men with us camped in their half and he's all of a sudden England class...

Come on Doc, do you really think that would stick in my craw?
Kermit
Has liked: 94 likes
Total likes: 321 likes

Post by Kermit »

carnage wrote:Loved the opposition view comment about having just got home, not seen any replays but our first goal was offside.
Het-Field wrote:Its strange how a team with such poor prospects is still attempting to find reason other than their team is absolutely crap, and their squad is a goner.
It's not strange at all. It's the British way. It's always someone else's fault.
Patito

Post by Patito »

Pulls up Trees wrote: See that's the kind of attitude that shows a feeble mind. No other opinions can possibly exist for you...

Oh the irony....
RichieRiv
Has liked: 307 likes
Total likes: 803 likes

Post by RichieRiv »

I know that I am a glass half empty type of person, but Jesus ripping apart the referees performance when we actually won and suggesting that two of our players should have received a second yellow.....when they didn't?!?

Sexual relations with my dated daisy roots, I think some of are taking fan punditry to a new low.
Pulls up Trees
Has liked: 1 like
Total likes: 1 like

Post by Pulls up Trees »

Patito wrote: Oh the irony....
Really? I'm not Jaybs! The argument about Noble is between people that think he's the best thing since sliced bread and people that think he's an ok player but one we now have an improvement on. I think you'll find that your opinions have been respected a lot more than you have respected the alternative view. I can understand your feelings towards Noble, I just don't happen to share them.
Penfold711
Has liked: 2001 likes
Total likes: 92 likes

Post by Penfold711 »

RichieRiv wrote:I know that I am a glass half empty type of person, but Jesus ripping apart the referees performance when we actually won and suggesting that two of our players should have received a second yellow.....when they didn't?!?

Sexual relations with my dated daisy roots, I think some of are taking fan punditry to a new low.
I think they are auditioning for BT Sport. :wink:
Sir Slaven

Post by Sir Slaven »

Pulls up Trees wrote: See that's the kind of attitude that shows a feeble mind. No other opinions can possibly exist for you... He was terrible in the first half, probably the worst one but he has a decent second 45 against 10 desperate men with us camped in their half and he's all of a sudden England class...

Come on Doc, do you really think that would stick in my craw?
How you can slag off Nobes after that performance I dont know...yeh he has the odd bad game and even more average ones, but he absolutely bossed the midfield and that assist was brilliant!

Was better than Song in every aspect that game!
bobcar

Post by bobcar »

DDHammer wrote: It weren't mate, they did a line across the pitch, his whole lower half was behind the Villa players
It's not a question of whether his lower half is behind the Villa players, any part of the body you can score with counts i.e. anything apart from the arms.

Having said that when it's that close it's impossible for the lino so the benefit of the doubt should go to the attacker.
LeonRivers
Has liked: 1032 likes
Total likes: 394 likes

Post by LeonRivers »

I saw the still with the line across the pitch. The only part of him beyond the defender (so NOT level) was one of his arms. You can't score with that part of your body, so he wasn't offside. That's the law.
Upton Carp
Has liked: 33 likes
Total likes: 8 likes

Post by Upton Carp »

With regards to Ayew's red card. He was definitely provoked...If you can find the highlights (I still have Tuesday's MotD recorded) have a look at Creswell's right hand, especially the TV shot that sees the pair from behind. You can clearly see Cress grab his shoulder/neck and see Ayew's shirt ruck up, just before he swings the elbow. Then as Ayew is coming off he puts his left hand up to his right shoulder indicating that he was being pinched or worse.

Not condoning the elbow, but the Villa fans are correct on this occasion.

COYI :scarfer:
woodford
Has liked: 412 likes
Total likes: 302 likes

Post by woodford »

given that then, should we be seeing red cards at every corner kick in a premiership game?

Creswell did nothing that you wont see in every game you watch

No, the Villa fans were not correct. In fact, its a measure of their sense of entitlement that they are finding excuses. Wonder who has provoked them for the other 23 games where they've performed like a collective steaming turd
Burnley Hammer
Location: was Colne, Burnley, Hull, Colchester, Norwich, Derby.... Now Nottingham
Has liked: 232 likes
Total likes: 2570 likes

Post by Burnley Hammer »

A professional footballer has the responsibility to show restraint when being wound up or provoked. Those that don't make easy targets. With some players, its part of their game... Take Nolan, or Bellamy for example.
zuggs4

Post by zuggs4 »

Not normally one for saying these things "even themselves out", but anyone remember the blatant handball by Westwood in the return fixture @ Villa Park earlier this season that wasn't given? More of a stonewall penalty than Antonio's (which in real time I thought was a pen), so I guess that's Karma!
miles
This site...
Has liked: 303 likes
Total likes: 383 likes

Post by miles »

Pulls up Trees wrote: Really? I'm not Jaybs!
No smoke without fire.
I think you'll find that your opinions have been respected a lot more than you have respected the alternative view.
When the "alternative view" involves shipping the captain off to MK Dons instead of Diego Poyet, trading him for Dan Gosling, or suggesting that he only has good games because of Payet and Lanzini, then ridicule, scorn and derision are the only appropriate responses.
kenthammer1984
Has liked: 23 likes
Total likes: 81 likes

Post by kenthammer1984 »

watched the highlights again last night.

i loved the moment when Payet pinged over a 30 yard diagonal ball to Cresswell - and Cresswell put his thumb up to thank him for the ball, knowing it would be inch perfect, whilst it was in mid air 8-)
Iron-worx

Post by Iron-worx »

kenthammer1984 wrote:watched the highlights again last night.

i loved the moment when Payet pinged over a 30 yard diagonal ball to Cresswell - and Cresswell put his thumb up to thank him for the ball, knowing it would be inch perfect, whilst it was in mid air 8-)
In the Man C game Payet played a 50 yard inch perfect pass to Byram and Byram played exactly the same pass back again, anything you can do..... incredible stuff.