West Ham Utd 2-0 Aston Villa (02/02/16)

Relive every moment of every first team game since the beginning of the 2005/06 season. Our archive of matchday threads originally posted in the General Discussion Forum.

Moderator: Gnome

Crouchend_Hammer
Has liked: 144 likes
Total likes: 2400 likes

Re: West Ham Utd v Aston Villa: match thread

Post by Crouchend_Hammer »

Sir Slaven wrote:
How you can slag off Nobes after that performance I dont know...yeh he has the odd bad game and even more average ones, but he absolutely bossed the midfield and that assist was brilliant!

Was better than Song in every aspect that game!
To be to Pulls Up Trees Noble was pretty poor in the first half. A lot of people who sit near me were of the opinion he should have been hooked in favour of a more offensive player, as he was just getting in the way of Song and didn't know where to position himself
He did have a better second half and played a great pass for the first goal but i was surprised he was made man of the match.
A central midfielder playing against the bottom team with 10 men should stand out, that is really the minimal expectation in that situation.

As i have frequently said, Noble is maddeningly inconsistent. even within games he can turn from maestro to crap in a blink of an eye
Hampshire Hammer
Has liked: 2490 likes
Total likes: 77 likes

Post by Hampshire Hammer »

Upton Carp wrote:With regards to Ayew's red card. He was definitely provoked...If you can find the highlights (I still have Tuesday's MotD recorded) have a look at Creswell's right hand, especially the TV shot that sees the pair from behind. You can clearly see Cress grab his shoulder/neck and see Ayew's shirt ruck up, just before he swings the elbow. Then as Ayew is coming off he puts his left hand up to his right shoulder indicating that he was being pinched or worse.

Not condoning the elbow, but the Villa fans are correct on this occasion.

COYI :scarfer:
I've watched the sequence several times, they were both wrestling before - nothing different to normal, 6 of one and half a dozen of the other. Then as the ball is cleared Ayew glances over his shoulder to check where Cresswell is, thinking the ball is gone and attention is off him he then deliberately swings an elbow. The Villa fans are wrong, there was no justification, it was a pre-meditated action and TBH I don't really see him trying to justify it - he didn't speak to anyone much of give any sign of saying "I was fouled first".
Upton Carp
Has liked: 33 likes
Total likes: 8 likes

Post by Upton Carp »

I've watched the sequence several times, they were both wrestling before - nothing different to normal, 6 of one and half a dozen of the other. Then as the ball is cleared Ayew glances over his shoulder to check where Cresswell is, thinking the ball is gone and attention is off him he then deliberately swings an elbow. The Villa fans are wrong, there was no justification, it was a pre-meditated action and TBH I don't really see him trying to justify it - he didn't speak to anyone much of give any sign of saying "I was fouled first".
I guess it is a question of how six and two threes is perceived. Though by the time this pic was taken Cress has mostly released his grip, I don't think there is much doubt that he has been/is pinching the trapezius muscle.

sanchoz
Location: Founder of the Carlton Cole Fan Club - Rainham & Guildford Branch
Total likes: 11 likes

Post by sanchoz »

Do not see why there is over analysing of this. Both players jostle with one another which leads to one of them throwing a cowardly elbow at the others face with no justification. Correct decision was made by the linesman and the ref.
Upton Carp

Post by Upton Carp »

sanchoz wrote:Do not see why there is over analysing of this. Both players jostle with one another which leads to one of them throwing a cowardly elbow at the others face with no justification. Correct decision was made by the linesman and the ref.
Like I said, I am not trying to justify the elbow. That would be futile and silly!
woodford
Has liked: 416 likes
Total likes: 302 likes

Post by woodford »

again, despite forensic over examination, this happens in every game, every time a corner is taken.

If you want to make the Villa fans right then do that. It wont lift them out of relegation, even though some of them appear to have the hard done by attitude.

Hopefully they can forensically examine the previous 23 games when they've been absolute **** :thdn:
fjthegrey
Has liked: 14 likes
Total likes: 1169 likes

Post by fjthegrey »

Got a pretty short fuse if a little squeeze on the shoulder triggers a reaction like that.

As I said before, I'm glad he provoked him. f*** Villa.
sanchoz
Location: Founder of the Carlton Cole Fan Club - Rainham & Guildford Branch
Total likes: 11 likes

Post by sanchoz »

fjthegrey wrote:Got a pretty short fuse if a little squeeze on the shoulder triggers a reaction like that.

As I said before, I'm glad he provoked him. **** Villa.
The red card incident from another angle:

sendô
Location: rubbing my eyes in disbelief - we've won a European trophy!
Has liked: 2475 likes
Total likes: 2698 likes

Post by sendô »

Someone did something similar to me a few months ago whilst playing an 11 a side match, pinching my in the muscle on my shoulder.

It was sorely tempted to chuck an elbow in his face. I didn't though. He was a big ****er.

I feel sorry for the Villa fans. It's hard when you're down there and it feels like the world is against you. Every little 50/50 seems to go against you, and you start convincing yourself that there's a big conspiracy. Cresswell cheating Ayew into elbowing him. Antonio did a blatant, intentional handball. Noble should have had 3 straight reds.

The reality unfortunately is their team are ****.
ageing hammer
Has liked: 486 likes
Total likes: 1492 likes

Post by ageing hammer »

fjthegrey wrote:Got a pretty short fuse if a little squeeze on the shoulder triggers a reaction like that.

As I said before, I'm glad he provoked him. **** Villa.

" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

watch the replay of the second tackle, he's a wrong 'un
Faubert's Boot
Has liked: 1 like
Total likes: 26 likes

Post by Faubert's Boot »

Last time i checked pinching someone isn't a red card offence (and it's even debatable as to whether it's a foul or not), but elbowing someone in the face is.

So, regardless of whether he was pinched/provoked, it's an unjustifiable reaction. Fact is, Ayew's sending off was entirely correct.
wigwig

Post by wigwig »

Bit of incitement from Cresswell in winding him up with the shoulder squeeze is good play from him IMO, perhaps the Nigerian contingent at the club gave the team a heads up on Ayew being a bit hot headed.
Pulls up Trees
Has liked: 1 like
Total likes: 1 like

Post by Pulls up Trees »

Crouchend_Hammer wrote:
To be to fair to Pulls Up Trees Noble was pretty poor in the first half. A lot of people who sit near me were of the opinion he should have been hooked in favour of a more offensive player, as he was just getting in the way of Song and didn't know where to position himself
He did have a better second half and played a great pass for the first goal but i was surprised he was made man of the match.
A central midfielder playing against the bottom team with 10 men should stand out, that is really the minimal expectation in that situation.

As i have frequently said, Noble is maddeningly inconsistent. even within games he can turn from maestro to crap in a blink of an eye
Mate, there's no point defending that view, they won't see it. They all think we hate him, and want him to play for MK Dons (apparently??). I don't hate Noble at all, yet you see them fly off the handle every time anything constructive is mentioned... I also thought that one of Song or Noble should have been subbed, but actually if it was me, I would have subbed Song, as he got the early yellow card.

Anyway back on topic, Re: Cresswell. I thought it was well known that that pinching was still commonplace. Not sure I would have the patience to not retaliate.
DDHammer

Post by DDHammer »

You ever had a mate pinch you under the arm and you get that sharp pain followed by anger where you could smash their face in, I reckon it was like that. Obviously wasn't professional from Ayew at this level, but can't say someone I don't know doing that to me wouldn't get the same response, brawls have been started for less at Sunday League.
Coops
Has liked: 450 likes
Total likes: 588 likes

Post by Coops »

DDHammer wrote:You ever had a mate pinch you under the arm and you get that sharp pain followed by anger where you could smash their face in, I reckon it was like that. Obviously wasn't professional from Ayew at this level, but can't say someone I don't know doing that to me wouldn't get the same response, brawls have been started for less at Sunday League.
But it's not Sunday football. If he can't take a bit of winding up then he shouldn't be playing in the Premier League.
DDHammer

Post by DDHammer »

He's still a human and prone to the red mist like most people when people are being a bit of a ****.
Upton Carp

Post by Upton Carp »

Like I said, not trying to justify the elbow. It was the action of a plank so many thanks, sawdust head!

That said, correctly applied (see Mr Spock) pressure on the trapezoid muscle is excruciating.

Last word from me. :hush:
paulthebubble

Post by paulthebubble »

The red card incident from another angle:

Image[/quote]

Excellent!

New red card offense-the Vulcan nerve pinch
mushy
Has liked: 650 likes
Total likes: 871 likes

Post by mushy »

Upton Carp wrote: I don't think there is much doubt that he has been/is pinching the trapezius muscle.
And thats based on what exactly?
woodford
Has liked: 416 likes
Total likes: 302 likes

Post by woodford »

DDHammer wrote:He's still a human and prone to the red mist like most people when people are being a bit of a ****.
then he needs to get another career. Crazy boy looks like he can dish it out OK on that youtube clip