Southampton 1-0 West Ham Utd (06/02/16)

Relive every moment of every first team game since the beginning of the 2005/06 season. Our archive of matchday threads originally posted in the General Discussion Forum.

Moderator: Gnome

Portswood
Has liked: 18 likes

Re: Southampton V West Ham match thread

Post by Portswood »

One of the advantages of going in to work after having lost to Southampton, is that most of them haven't yet bothered to look up the score.
Yea Why Not
Location: Chips & Gravy you say? Well you can shove that up your ass

Post by Yea Why Not »

Sarfend Hammer wrote: You should look at the replay again. I recorded the game and it is at the 22 minute mark.
Yoshida steps on his foot and as Valencia pulls his foot away, Yoshida's follow through pushes Valencias one leg against the other.

100% a penalty.
It's always going to be difficult for players like Valencia to get decisions like that and rightly so
The Gibbins
Maggot infested twat
Total likes: 10 likes

Post by The Gibbins »

Sarfend Hammer wrote: You should look at the replay again. I recorded the game and it is at the 22 minute mark.
Yoshida steps on his foot and as Valencia pulls his foot away, Yoshida's follow through pushes Valencias one leg against the other.

100% a penalty.
There was contact, but the point I'm making is that Valencia is REALLY looking for it. I know a forward will go down at any contact, but this was more than that. He plants his his leg in an unnatural position and goes down with the theatrics. If that's a penalty god help defenders who have a tough enough time as it is in today's game.

My first thought was a penalty but the replay that showed it from behind just makes me think Valencia made a hopeful attempt out of a nothing situation.
The Sherriff
Has liked: 7 likes
Total likes: 106 likes

Post by The Sherriff »

The penalty appeal was right in front of me ... I thought he was being a bit of a mincer and looked for the foul. Spoke to my Old Man at half time and he reckoned it was nailed on ... opinions eh.

First 10 minutes cost us, cant start that poorly. Sloppy play all round and it just seemed as if we didn't want to be out there.

Didn't make their goalie work enough, disappointing display but hoping for a reaction tomorrow which is the big one.

Had the worse seats going. 2 rows from the front and pissed on for 90 minutes. If I'd known there were spares further up behind the goal I would have moved up there.

Ended up in some nice little bar/restaurant opposite yates, they were doing 2-for-1 cocktails. Very pleasant.
Estuary
Has liked: 278 likes
Total likes: 117 likes

Post by Estuary »

Really simple, we start like that against form teams like Saints and we will loose every time. We have got away with this "lets play ourselves into the game" attitude for weeks, maybe months now, and it is finally catching up with us. I had hoped that Payet coming back would change that, but he is amongst the worst culprits. Lanzini may make the difference as he is far more direct, but I think we may also need Sakho back in, Valencia cannot play up on his own.
Worried about Tuesday night now as that young Liverpool team wont hang about waiting for us to turn up.
frankiemac

Post by frankiemac »

The Gibbins wrote:
There was contact, but the point I'm making is that Valencia is REALLY looking for it. I know a forward will go down at any contact, but this was more than that. He plants his his leg in an unnatural position and goes down with the theatrics. If that's a penalty god help defenders who have a tough enough time as it is in today's game.

My first thought was a penalty but the replay that showed it from behind just makes me think Valencia made a hopeful attempt out of a nothing situation.
He made a massive meal of it...with the ball running out of play for a goal kick, a striker would surely be looking to get around the ball to get it across the box, he didn't do this at all, which gave the ref a really easy decision to make
chalks
Sliding down his pole
Has liked: 690 likes
Total likes: 1606 likes

Post by chalks »

would love to be a fly on the wall in the dressing room to see exactly what the players think of Valencia

The body language of most of the players when he loses possession is quite telling. Watch tomorrow when he inevitably does it

Its like when you play for a school team and one of the players is toilet, as soon as they get the ball you sort of back off because you know he's going to lose it
Albie Beck
Has liked: 617 likes
Total likes: 640 likes

Post by Albie Beck »

The Sherriff wrote:Had the worse seats going. 2 rows from the front and pissed on for 90 minutes. If I'd known there were spares further up behind the goal I would have moved up there.
Wouldn't have done you any good mate - that roof leaks like a sieve!
wizzo_66
Has liked: 1 like
Total likes: 32 likes

Post by wizzo_66 »

chalks wrote:would love to be a fly on the wall in the dressing room to see exactly what the players think of Valencia

The body language of most of the players when he loses possession is quite telling. Watch tomorrow when he inevitably does it

Its like when you play for a school team and one of the players is toilet, as soon as they get the ball you sort of back off because you know he's going to lose it
I remember when Teddy Sheringham collected the ball, our players would bomb ahead of him and make lots of runs because you knew he would find someone. The exact opposite.
mushy
Has liked: 640 likes
Total likes: 841 likes

Post by mushy »

I actually thought we played ok, better then our last two away matches where we conceeded possession at the drop of a hat.
The crime is to go a goal down early, teams like ourselves, Southampton, Leicester and at times Palace have proved that if the 'lesser' teams defend well, then even the big moneybags clubs have issues breaking them down. Arsenal and Man City are by all accounts the most creative teams in our away games with them both struggled against us, but if either of those teams had scored first then we would have been in big trouble. (see Spurs).
Its all very well saying you need to be more creative, and that we missed Lanzini etc (we always miss the players that arent playing), but i doubt he would have made much difference.
Sometimes the only way to get something out of these games is to score a Worldy, or a hoof upfield towards Carrolls head, or similar.
My point being that I doubt that many teams would have got a goal back against that lot on Saturday.
They did really well, and i thought we knocked the ball around and won back possession to great effect.
Nothing was happening in the final third though, it was too crowded.
What exactly do you do about that?
WorcesterWHU
Has liked: 8 likes
Total likes: 107 likes

Post by WorcesterWHU »

mushy wrote:Nothing was happening in the final third though, it was too crowded.
For me we didn't go back to forward quick enough. We had Carroll on the pitch, I felt we should have been trying to get it forward a lot quicker and do the fancier stuff further up the pitch.

It might not have worked but we didn't seem to even really try that.
Johnny Byrne's Boots
Has liked: 1788 likes
Total likes: 2072 likes

Post by Johnny Byrne's Boots »

mushy wrote:............................

Nothing was happening in the final third though, it was too crowded.
A lot of that was caused by our painfully slow, passing it sideways and backwards build up.

Whenever our defence won the ball we just ambled around with it as the opposition streamed back to defend. I don't think I recall Song (he wasn't alone in this, just the most noticeable to me) playing a first time pass forward in the entire game. He/they would get the ball, usually standing still, survey all four corners of the pitch while expecting to be given the time to do it, then either lost it or, still facing his own goal, gave it back to whoever had just given it to him.

Meanwhile the opposition defence is by now nicely organised. Rinse and repeat.
Last edited by Johnny Byrne's Boots on Mon Feb 08, 2016 12:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
mumbles87
Has liked: 55 likes
Total likes: 935 likes

Post by mumbles87 »

With the pen decision it's easy for us with our replays and slow mo. Ref and Lino see it real time and see Valencia look for a pen in my eyes. Yes contact but why throw yourself down? Could have just gone down. Sod the whole being shot routine. Prob would have got a pen that way
WorcesterWHU
Has liked: 8 likes
Total likes: 107 likes

Post by WorcesterWHU »

Seeing it in real time I thought he'd taken a dive. Usually pretty indicative and even though there was something there, the histrionics will make it easy to say "no pen".

Valencia does have a bit of a habit of doing it.
Johnny Byrne's Boots
Has liked: 1788 likes
Total likes: 2072 likes

Post by Johnny Byrne's Boots »

The 'penalty'. When I saw it in real time I thought "He'll never get that".

The replays showed a little contact with an unnaturally dragging foot, although I couldn't see much intent there to trip him.
Colours never run
Location: "Be in no doubt, we are part of the most successful stadium migration in history"
Has liked: 6811 likes
Total likes: 2363 likes

Post by Colours never run »

Even after watching a few replays, I'm still convinced it's a penalty, let alone in real time when it just looked laughable to claim for one. Not even our own players seemed bothered.

He has a nasty habit of making the most of his dives I really don't like seeing anyone do. I thought he was better than that.
Estuary
Has liked: 278 likes
Total likes: 117 likes

Post by Estuary »

My point being that I doubt that many teams would have got a goal back against that lot on Saturday

I 100% agree with that, and that's why starting so slowly hurt us, the Saints defense were brilliantly organised by Fonte and with that goalie it was always going to be hard to score, once they had we were in trouble.
peter49uk
Total likes: 2 likes

Post by peter49uk »

frankiemac wrote:slow out of the traps again...koeman said he knew our weakness...this is one of them, get into us early!
Think Koeman did a number on WH and it seems Slav agrees with many on here... "It was one of those defeats that is really hard to take and it was down to – I said this to the guys in the dressing room at half-time – the first 15 minutes,” the Croatian boss said.
“We basically gave them a couple of corners unnecessarily, they were better on the second balls, they were better in the first 15 minutes.
Our crosses were quite poor or they defended really well.”
And Bilic believes his side gave Southampton a headstart, as they kept giving their hosts needless set pieces.

So no excuses next time out he should be addressing all these issues.
Two things from me is Enner V needs to be told to be much stronger and work more when the oppo's have the ball in their half and to tell Mark N to stay on his feet and cut out the attempt of sliding and nicking the ball. I don’t dislike either player by the way.
Coops
Has liked: 442 likes
Total likes: 573 likes

Post by Coops »

It should have been a penalty. He clipped him, they are the rules (no matter what the sky pundits say).
mushy
Has liked: 640 likes
Total likes: 841 likes

Post by mushy »

WorcesterWHU wrote: For me we didn't go back to forward quick enough. We had Carroll on the pitch, I felt we should have been trying to get it forward a lot quicker and do the fancier stuff further up the pitch.

It might not have worked but we didn't seem to even really try that.
Johnny Byrne's Boots wrote:
A lot of that was caused by our painfully slow, passing it sideways and backwards build up.

Whenever our defence won the ball we just ambled around with it as the opposition streamed back to defend. I don't think I recall Song (he wasn't alone in this, just the most noticeable to me) playing a first time pass forward in the entire game. He/they would get the ball, usually standing still, survey all four corners of the pitch while expecting to be given the time to do it, then either lost it or, still facing his own goal, gave it back to whoever had just given it to him.

Meanwhile the opposition defence is by now nicely organised. Rinse and repeat.
Aha! You must be the two guys that sit near me at the Boleyn that sit there shouting ‘forward!’ the whole game.
What you say is interesting and almost goes into Pinky territory whereby he suggested to drag the opposition out of their own half, you should concede possession every now and then, in other words invite them on . Sounds like madness to me.
And that’s what our defence is trying to do here, make no mistake, they are inviting them on, to get out of their own half so that we have more space and possession where it counts. Does not work if the opposition just sit there resolutely sticking to a plan, and neither does much else it would seem .

Forward faster is the answer? What about long and high as well?.Sounds like Big sam tactics, and sometimes they are called for.
I am not saying that what you suggest wont work by the way, and the team were clearly playing to order.
In my opinion it wouldn’t have made a lot of difference.