Southampton 1-0 West Ham Utd (06/02/16)

Relive every moment of every first team game since the beginning of the 2005/06 season. Our archive of matchday threads originally posted in the General Discussion Forum.

Moderator: Gnome

Rook

Re: Southampton V West Ham match thread

Post by Rook »

jaybs wrote:...just hope we have The Boleyn Ground rocking on Tuesday like their fans did last night. In the second half we then seemed to go into panic mode, the substitutions were all completely flat and added nothing at all to the side. Tuesday is so important now lets get behind the team!
We were the loudest thing in the stadium in the first half but shut right up in the second, panic mode as you say.

Sad really, but I understand, I was just staring at the pitch myself to be honest. Let's hope Tuesday's better back at the Boleyn.
bristolhammerfc
Has liked: 197 likes
Total likes: 609 likes

Post by bristolhammerfc »

I may have imagined it but I thought the teams switched ends at the beggining, possibly to take advantage of the wind.

The conditions were poor for a pass and move game with the players taking a while to adjust to the weight of passes.

For me the danger signs were there when Cresswell ran up the wing, was pressured by two of their players and didn't know what to do. There was no support for him and he lost the ball and they countered. He didn't recover and was lucky not to be at fault for a goal when he stood ball watching as it went over his head for the save from Adrian.

What I cannot forgive is players not showing commitment and Valencia was chasing a 50/50 ball on the wing with Payet inside of him and pulled away from the tackle which they countered against the confused Cresswell. He was then at fault for the goal. Instead of commiting to the tackle and clearance he half went, tried to pull away and got a great assist for their goal.

That said, we should have had a penalty and increasingly I am starting to wonder why we have linesman at all. It used to be that they took charge when the referee was unsighted, now they seem petrified to raise the flag against anything that's not nailed on. Blame TV replays, but it has to change.

Noble was our best player yesterday, closely followed by Reid. He put in a shift and that's all you can ask when the players in front of you cannot cope with three at the back and being pressed by the full backs.

The game changed with I think a dubious red for Wanyama which I can only think was down to his pursuit of Payet rather than the tackle which was a yellow any other day. Indeed Valencia proved that with an identical tackle which got just that.

Clattenberg seems himself as a celebrity rather than a referee and is always going to want to be centre of attention.

We should have gone on to win from that point but the loss of Tomkins was a bad one for us. His height and organisation was missed as soon as Byram came on.

Valencia improved as they changed shape and he played wide right but I would have taken Payet off rather than Antonio and put another midfielder in to stretch their centre backs.

A bad day at the office not helped by a god awful storm, over dramatic refereeing and a lack of someone taking responsibility up front.
mattyD
Has liked: 268 likes
Total likes: 316 likes

Post by mattyD »

We start too slowly, not getting the balance right between patience and urgency. Other teams know this and start like a train. Once we were down that was it really. Need to start differently.
djbubbles
Has liked: 166 likes
Total likes: 114 likes

Post by djbubbles »

Apart from yesterday our results have been good but our performances average. I think the problem is Song. Hes nowhere near the player from 1st half of last season. I also think byram is so nervous. He needs time, but im not impressed with his start. Emmuneke is gona take weeks, maybe longer to get up to pace. Also three at the back dosent suit us
PrinceH

Post by PrinceH »

I don't know if I agree on much on here.
I thought Valencia was one of few who came out with some credit yesterday. He fought, and in the end when he was one in midfield, he proved how to cross, something no one had been able to do during all game. I thought he should have had a penalty as well (even he should stop dive). You may laugh at his free kick, but the one he did against Villa was world class, and you just have to miss the same kick with a quarter of an inch, to get an result like he got yesterday. Nothing to blame him for, even Ronaldo makes them quite often.
I also would say Song impressed defensively, with winning many balls, and second balls no one else is able to do. (His offensive play was much worse, but is he really the guy who should try to find the way to penetrate their box?)
All around it was a boring game, during hard circumstances where no one seemed able to put any passes right (not even Payet). But credit to Southampton, who defended really well and stopped us to being able to use the flanks.
A bad day at the office for sure, but you can hardly blame one or two players...
61dicksey
Has liked: 555 likes
Total likes: 401 likes

Post by 61dicksey »

I was amazed Payet did not seem interested in taking that free kick Enner skied over the bar or the one we had in the first half, normally a player in form and confidence fights to take a set piece or at least has a discussion with his team mates.
just an observation :(
Beavis Danzig
Has liked: 3 likes
Total likes: 733 likes

Post by Beavis Danzig »

61dicksey wrote:I was amazed Payet did not seem interested in taking that free kick Enner skied over the bar or the one we had in the first half, normally a player in form and confidence fights to take a set piece or at least has a discussion with his team mates.
just an observation :(
too far out. it's only going in from that distance is if enner does his toe punt ronaldo thing. if it works it makes a chance from nothing (west brom, villa) if it doesn't it goes in the carpark.
Sarfend Hammer
Total likes: 2 likes

Post by Sarfend Hammer »

Frustrating game. We again started slow and allowed them to much possession in the first 15 mins. We weren't pressing and they were sharper. We came into the game more but weren't getting any shots on goal. They became very defensive after they got their goal.

Definitely a pen. The opposing player trod on Valencia's foot.

The foul that led to the red card probably looked worse than it was but it was still justified. Wanyama slid in from behind and up-ended Payet after he had been beaten.
OnePaulHilton
Total likes: 16 likes

Post by OnePaulHilton »

PrinceH wrote:I don't know if I agree on much on here.
I thought Valencia was one of few who came out with some credit yesterday. He fought, and in the end when he was one in midfield, he proved how to cross, something no one had been able to do during all game. I thought he should have had a penalty as well (even he should stop dive). You may laugh at his free kick, but the one he did against Villa was world class, and you just have to miss the same kick with a quarter of an inch, to get an result like he got yesterday. Nothing to blame him for, even Ronaldo makes them quite often.
I also would say Song impressed defensively, with winning many balls, and second balls no one else is able to do. (His offensive play was much worse, but is he really the guy who should try to find the way to penetrate their box?)
All around it was a boring game, during hard circumstances where no one seemed able to put any passes right (not even Payet). But credit to Southampton, who defended really well and stopped us to being able to use the flanks.
A bad day at the office for sure, but you can hardly blame one or two players...
AH good at least someone watched the same game as me. :thup:
Lee_WHU

Post by Lee_WHU »

Sarfend Hammer wrote:Definitely a pen. The opposing player trod on Valencia's foot.
Barely, but after that Enner then dragged his OTHER foot against the grass like a ballerina and went down like a knob.
Iron George
Total likes: 1 like

Post by Iron George »

bristolhammerfc wrote:What I cannot forgive is players not showing commitment and Valencia was chasing a 50/50 ball on the wing with Payet inside of him and pulled away from the tackle which they countered against the confused Cresswell. He was then at fault for the goal. Instead of commiting to the tackle and clearance he half went, tried to pull away and got a great assist for their goal.
Whilst Valencia's tackle wasn't as strong or committed as it should have been, Payet was equally culpable.

He didn't track the runner (Wanyama) at all - which gave him way too much time in our box

But of course, at the moment, Payet is above criticism...................
The Gibbins
Maggot infested twat
Total likes: 10 likes

Post by The Gibbins »

Just another game where we start badly and give ourselves a big task for the rest of the match. I thought we were well below par.

Southampton were the better side and worked that back 5 to perfection. I thought we were lucky with the Wanyama red, all i can really think is that he iwa sent off for intent? It wasn't a good tackle but it was a yellow card for me.
The red card was probably the worst thing to happen to us as Southampton just shut up shop and give us no space. Players like Payet and Song just couldn't do anything as there was no space to exploit and tried to do too much when in possession. I hope from now on Alex Song never tries an attempt on goal ever again :lol:

We could still be playing this match now and wouldn't score. Even with the lack of space and numbers Southampton had back, our decision making was awful. Valencia summed himself up when Byram overlapped and he decides to shoot at an utterly ridiculous angle. I think we have a real problem being the team in control, we are good on the break and exploiting teams who push forward., however when it comes to taking control against a team who sits back we have a lot of improvement to do on that side of the game.
The Gibbins
Maggot infested twat
Total likes: 10 likes

Post by The Gibbins »

Sarfend Hammer wrote: Definitely a pen. The opposing player trod on Valencia's foot.
In my opinion he is a terrible cheat :lol:
The way i saw it he moved unnaturally and shifted over to then leave his leg in the defenders path. If Valencia just runs straight for the ball Yoshida isn't touching him.
TomasRepka

Post by TomasRepka »

OnePaulHilton wrote:
AH good at least someone watched the same game as me.
Yeah, ditto - Not sure why many are berating / against Song's performance. It's unfortunate he's not got the finishing product whenever the ball falls for him to shoot, but otherwise I thought the majority of his performance yesterday deserves credit. He was one of our better players, and Valencia out wide was quite decent too. Valencia needs to be far more aware of overlaps, i.e. when Byram was asking for it about three times.

Neither team created that much throughout the game, it was a very underwhelming performance from us, and a very spirited performance from Southampton. On to the next one :crest:
Colours never run
Location: "Be in no doubt, we are part of the most successful stadium migration in history"
Has liked: 6811 likes
Total likes: 2363 likes

Post by Colours never run »

Pretty much spot on with every point Gibbins.
Sarfend Hammer
Total likes: 2 likes

Post by Sarfend Hammer »

The Gibbins wrote:In my opinion he is a terrible cheat :lol:
The way i saw it he moved unnaturally and shifted over to then leave his leg in the defenders path. If Valencia just runs straight for the ball Yoshida isn't touching him.
You should look at the replay again. I recorded the game and it is at the 22 minute mark.
Yoshida steps on his foot and as Valencia pulls his foot away, Yoshida's follow through pushes Valencias one leg against the other.

100% a penalty.
BPRIGGSC

Post by BPRIGGSC »

Watched the game live, 4:30am where I was. We got exactly what we deserved from the game in my opinion which was nothing. Southampton got there goal and then there defensive work was excellent, especially with 10 men. I don't think we were awful, but just lacked creativity, urgency and imagination. I think Lanzini was missed for the second half. The wind didn't help either, preventing any decent crosses going into Andy Carroll.
Colours never run
Location: "Be in no doubt, we are part of the most successful stadium migration in history"
Has liked: 6811 likes
Total likes: 2363 likes

Post by Colours never run »

Agree with all that BPRIGGSG.
frankiemac

Post by frankiemac »

slow out of the traps again...koeman said he knew our weakness...this is one of them, get into us early!

as someone said earlier, our whole gameplan seems to be around attacking teams when they are commitiing men forward, so if you keep it tight, we will struggle

have to say, I didn't agree with the substitutions either....bringing on carroll and eminike but sacrificing them for both wingers was incredibly naïve...we had absolutely no service into the big boys once we did this...it would have been worthwhile swapping one of the midfield boys, or enner for carroll, and trying that for 10-15 minutes, before going all out 3 at at the front
szola
Has liked: 586 likes
Total likes: 347 likes

Post by szola »

I think it's safe to say, by the reaction on here, and the different views of the game

we don't like losing
:)