Southampton 1-0 West Ham Utd (06/02/16)

Relive every moment of every first team game since the beginning of the 2005/06 season. Our archive of matchday threads originally posted in the General Discussion Forum.

Moderator: Gnome

Harry Hound
Location: "If you don't know the game, then you're still part of it"
Has liked: 67 likes
Total likes: 10 likes

Re: Southampton V West Ham match thread

Post by Harry Hound »

Coops wrote:It should have been a penalty. He clipped him, they are the rules (no matter what the sky pundits say).
I agree, how many penalties have we conceded this way?
mushy
Has liked: 640 likes
Total likes: 839 likes

Post by mushy »

peter49uk wrote:.
Two things from me is Enner V needs to be told to be much stronger and work more when the oppo's have the ball in their half and to tell Mark N to stay on his feet and cut out the attempt of sliding and nicking the ball. I don’t dislike either player by the way.
peter,

You cannot tell people to be stronger, they either are or they arent, and Valencia clearly isnt.
Thats been my beef with him since day one, too easily knocked off the ball and doesnt use his body effectively enough, if at all. Just running round hoping for a free kick .
English refs wont give him much in the way of free kicks either.
We need to upgrade.
Coops
Has liked: 442 likes
Total likes: 571 likes

Post by Coops »

Harry Hound wrote:
I agree, how many penalties have we conceded this way?
If it was us V Spuds and Kane gets clipped like that then they get the penalty, nailed on.
AlfieG
Has liked: 1 like
Total likes: 4 likes

Post by AlfieG »

Coops wrote:
If it was us V Spuds and Kane gets clipped like that then they get the penalty, nailed on.
Maybe true, but it just proves that Kane is a better cheat than Valencia.......
Albie Beck
Has liked: 617 likes
Total likes: 640 likes

Post by Albie Beck »

AlfieG wrote:just proves that Kane is a better cheat than Valencia.......
hmmmm... thinking back to last season, perhaps just more believable? From memory I don't think it was actually any more a pen than Valencia's.
upton o'good
Has liked: 7 likes
Total likes: 120 likes

Post by upton o'good »

djbubbles wrote:Apart from yesterday our results have been good but our performances average. I think the problem is Song. Hes nowhere near the player from 1st half of last season. I also think byram is so nervous. He needs time, but im not impressed with his start. Emmuneke is gona take weeks, maybe longer to get up to pace. Also three at the back dosent suit us
To be fair to Byram, I was terrified by Cresswell for his first few matches. It does take a while to make the step up from Championship level. And it may be harder this season, with a different pattern of play to Big Sam's
WestHamByTheSea
Location: Turning the TV off, making some tea, and saying modern life well it's rubbish...

Post by WestHamByTheSea »

Adam 'The Smudge' wrote:The conditions were bad and tbh a nil nil would have been fine.
Low quality throughout from both sides and their goal was courtesy of poor defending/deflected touch similar to the first goal at Spurs in Nov.
Thing that surprised me was the attitude of the knuckle dragging twats behind me....
'Payet.....you **** !'
'Song .....you **** !'
'Valencia...you **** !'
'Tomkins.. you **** !'
'Bilic, sort this **** out you **** !'

Did they think theyre watching Barcelona???? Sometimes a small section of our fans astound me.
I was stood next to Adam and will corroborate this... they weren't kids either; but it doesn't surprise me - had some moby giving Tomkins the same at Bournemouth for no apparent reason. Always get a few just by percentage - I honestly can't think of one half-decent player we've had who hasn't copped it from some berk at some point in the past.

Dreadful away day down there as always, highlight was beers in Yates beforehand. I usually enjoy having a few beers afterwards away from home (with the odd obvious exception) with the locals and comparing notes, but rarely get that in Southampton; some decent chaps afterwards but mainly unpleasant gloating.

We were poor all round, but I will say one thing, Saints were superbly well-drilled defensively and clearly set up well by their boss. When they scored I was surprised they didn't then push for a 2nd goal to kill the game, but in hindsight they didn't have to and did a number on us, fair play to them. They weren't good going forward and certainly not the 'quality team' on the day that some have said (although like us I think they had plenty in the tank to spare) - to be honest they did a very good job on us in the style of a Big Sam side - I know some of their "we're the Solent Barca" mob would take that as the ultimate insult but it isn't; they were clever and got the job done. It was perfect for them to get the early goal; they did it, and then controlled the game even in the face of our possession stats. Van Dijk is a proper player, very impressed.

Not having a big pop at Slav but there are a few tweaks needed. Moses needs a real word with. Payet - ok he's done a lot of good work off the left but mainly at home when we're forcing the issue a bit more; i'd have liked to have seen him switched with Valencia so the former could dictate our superior possession more and the latter could've had more space to use his pace and run with the ball a bit, rather than flinging himself about in the face of their excellent CB's.

It might seem a bit precious to say this (bearing in mind we did indeed beat Villa 2-0) but I think the systems for those 2 games might have been better swapped around; a central 3 v Saints (with Obiang for Kouyate v Saints) and Moses + Antonio both getting a chance to stretch Villa from the start. Versus Villa having 3 central mids felt a bit like overkill against a team that were never gonna run through us, whereas against Saints it might have given us a better platform against a well-drilled defence. Ho hum, just an opinion, auntie/uncle/b*llocks, etc...

The one obvious thing, no matter what system, is starting the game at pace. If we don't do that for the rest of the season, especially against what will be a young inexperienced but potentially pacy Liverpool team, we face getting found out by teams.

Overall we're a good side, and it's in our hands to step it up a bit. Liverpool's a great chance to get the wheels back on track.

Onwards and upwards. :scarfer: