Norwich City 2-2 West Ham Utd (13/02/16)

Relive every moment of every first team game since the beginning of the 2005/06 season. Our archive of matchday threads originally posted in the General Discussion Forum.

Moderator: Gnome

e17
Has liked: 280 likes
Total likes: 940 likes

Re: Norwich City v West Ham Utd: match thread

Post by e17 »

We'd have won that 4-2 with Sakho playing yesterday
Kermit
Has liked: 94 likes
Total likes: 321 likes

Post by Kermit »

Belgian Iron wrote:
By the way: a little bit of critic for Bilic: yes he changed the game with the subs. But FFS, he should have brought them on after 50 mins. That first Norwich goal was SO predictable, we had not let out up front, we were crying out for Carroll at that moment. No point in waiting until they go 1 up.

Crying out for Carroll? FFS what exactly did he achieve once he came on?
cockney farmer

Post by cockney farmer »

Flick on that created the first goal ?
Chicken Run Supreme
Has liked: 856 likes
Total likes: 823 likes

Post by Chicken Run Supreme »

It's not just us and our c&b specs, it's not just Shearer ( who has gone up in my estimation for asking Woy the question), Stuart Pearce was on Talk Sport last week saying he does no know what else Nobes needs to do to get a call up. He reckons Mark is in the form of his life and then listed all the players that have had call ups for England in Noble's position since he became eligible himself. The names on the list were staggering to be honest.
Let's face it, Noble ain't never gonna get a cap under the current England manager. He made that quite clear in his response to Shearer last night.
Yea Why Not
Location: Chips & Gravy you say? Well you can shove that up your ass

Post by Yea Why Not »

Kermit wrote:
Crying out for Carroll? FFS what exactly did he achieve once he came on?
?!? Changed the game completely. 2 defenders stuck to him, the extra space for others was there for all to see. He played in Payet for Noble's goal and then setup our golden chance to win the game. Not bad for a 30 minute cameo
Rio
Ronnie Biggs was here
Has liked: 159 likes
Total likes: 1080 likes

Post by Rio »

After a thoroughly stressful and miserable time courtesy of our wonderful ticketing staff, the game & company were a welcome relief.

Personally I thought we controlled the game but as per usual shot ourselves in the foot.

We were severely lacking a cutting edge in the first half, Enner continues to frustrate me more than I ever thought possible. Clearly he's not a target man, but having to fill in why we're getting the more obvious choices back up to speed. But after the exertions of Tuesday I thought we may have started emineke.

Failing to convert possession into goals cost us. And when a clearly tired Antonio got caught out it was no suprise to see pretty much their first meaningful effort in the back of the net. It's what we do.

I would have changed it around then, but we persisted & with Norwich getting some belief it took until the 2nd to change things.

A combination of actually having an outlet up top, a defensive shoring up shop substitution by Neil and a nervy looking Norwich combined to give us some impetus. Moses made his first significant contribution since September to help conjure up the first and you could see panic set in for the home side. A wonderful strike by Noble saw us justly on level terms. To be fair I thought we deserved the winner, or more importantly I deserved it. Emineke did well when he came on and could be a real asset in his 'loan' here. I don't think he'll be a permanent fixture though.

Nobes was outstanding, as he has largely been since his suspension. Trev again looks class, but needs to remember how to take a corner.

Given Tuesday nights antics and tiredness playing a major factor I'm reasonably happy with the point. Our league record at Carrow Road is awful, so showing some resilience to come back from a 2 goal deficit is to be admired.

As a side note. The catering at Norwich is now woefully lacking since the demise of Delias pie contract. Took the gloss off the day.

After my struggles with our ticket office, which continued to noon of the day of the game I'd like to personally thank our very own Gnome & Mozza for helping me out and being the generally top notch fellas I've always known them to be. When powers that be let you down, it's great to know the KUMB family is there for you
miketheloop

Post by miketheloop »

Just watched the game recorded on sky.

From what I've just seen I don't think we were that bad were we? It was always going to be a hard game against a team fighting for their premiership lives.

Plus we all know we had a tough long game Tuesday.

Carroll and Moses completely changed the game for us, no doubt. Carroll is a beast, defenders hate playing against him. He also made a key pass for Payet to set up Nobles goal. For me if he is fit he should start ahead of Valencia. Valencia offers something different because he makes the runs in the channels but he is always falling over when someone breaths on him. I hate that.

Frustrating as all three would see us sitting 5th and not 7th but we're still up there, and we have lanzini and sakho coming back soon. Plus Carroll is getting fitter. Lots still to play for :thup:
Kermit
Has liked: 94 likes
Total likes: 321 likes

Post by Kermit »

Kermit wrote:Crying out for Carroll? FFS what exactly did he achieve once he came on?
Yea Why Not wrote:?!? Changed the game completely. 2 defenders stuck to him, the extra space for others was there for all to see. He played in Payet for Noble's goal and then setup our golden chance to win the game. Not bad for a 30 minute cameo
I don't think we can give Carroll too much credit for Norwich's defensive failings. Playing two players on him may have been a consequence of him being there but has more to do with the naivety of their coaching staff imo. And the pass to Payet was fairly routine.

Imo our striking problems have more to do with our front players not being clever enough to look for the space to enable the likes of Payet to create even more opportunities. Intelligent mobility is the key imo.
miketheloop

Post by miketheloop »

Kermit I doubt they were told to play two defenders on him, he just draws defenders to him.

I don't think anyone's saying he is a world beater, Carroll has his flaws but give the guy some credit, he helped changed the game, you must see that?

And his pass for Payet was a good pass, he needed the vision to pick it.

Give the guy a break.
hammers92
Has liked: 317 likes
Total likes: 1748 likes

Post by hammers92 »

Could've been mistaken for thinking that it was Antonio that created the first goal. That's exactly the kind of effort that's been missing from Moses' game since he got here, he didn't give up and kept fighting for that ball. More of the same please
The Old Man of Storr
Has liked: 2641 likes
Total likes: 1747 likes

Post by The Old Man of Storr »

I thought West Ham played well yesterday , maybe controlling 5/8ths of the match and considering most were involved with Liverpool on Tuesday it wasn't a bad performance at all - Norwich got their first due to Antonio's lack of awareness and their second was ' one of those goals ' - two goals which can perhaps be put down to Tuesday .

So , why didn't it end there ?

Well , this West Ham now have a bit more resilience about them - the build up which led to Moses speeding away from everyone was difficult to pull off but with deft precise passing our loanee was off like a greyhound from the traps . This was the determined Moses who came on as substitute and not the much criticised of late , he was tackled in the Norwich penalty area but showed his strength to win the ball back and get a shot off , all this had happened so quickly , only Payet had kept up with play and the little Frenchman scored from a parry from Ruddy .

Payet was involved yet again for our second goal , somehow ignored by the Norwich defenders he received a defence splitting pass and turned it back for Noble to score what can only be described as a ' beauty ' - he struck it with the outside of his foot and it curled beyond Ruddy into the corner of the net .

West Ham went for the winner , Emenike was unlucky that the ball arrived with too much pace for him and he scuffed his shot , previous to that he was unlucky to see his shot go over the bar - given more time I would expect Emenike to score a few goals to keep us in the Top 6 hunt .
Last edited by The Old Man of Storr on Sun Feb 14, 2016 9:45 am, edited 1 time in total.
arlhe
Has liked: 235 likes
Total likes: 178 likes

Post by arlhe »

The one that matters is next week.

A point away from home in the PL is never bad. Well done, West Ham.
Korea Hammer
Has liked: 1319 likes
Total likes: 776 likes

Post by Korea Hammer »

Norwich played quite well and deserved to go ahead, probably, but it was a good fight back, great team spirit and a good away point off the back of the cup heroics.
sutts07
Has liked: 24 likes
Total likes: 539 likes

Post by sutts07 »

I personally think that Song going off changed the game more than Carroll coming on did. With Song, Obiang and Noble we are forced to shunt Payet out wide and it leaves Valencia far too isolated.

By taking out one of the midfield three we were able to give Payet a free role where he is at his absolute best and make it harder for the opposition to double up on him.

Moses did very well when he came on. Gave us a real injection. Think he had a bigger impact than Carroll. That said, Carroll did as much as, if not more than Valencia too. Bottom line is, we really miss Sakho.

Very disappointed with Emenike, should have hit the target with the shot on the turn, should have thrown himself at one in the 6 yard box and although he did well to get to the one where he ended up ball juggling on his backside, he again, should have done better. I don't want to be too harsh on him too soon, but they were three fairly decent chances that an instinctive finisher should be lapping up so it is a touch worrying.
RM6

Post by RM6 »

DannyboyDJL wrote: Agreed, but why do you not expect this? When's the last time you watched an entire season and weren't disappointed with some games? It's football.
You misunderstand. The point is not that I'm disappointed with some games.

Usually to have a mediocre season you may beat one or two of the big names but generally you'll pick up your points off of your peers.

To have an excellent season you need to take points across the board. This year we've won a lot of the hard games or picked up credible draws and then let points slip which we should have been more ruthless and taken them.

Villa away, Swansea away, Newcastle away, Sunderland away, Norwich home and away, West Brom at home, Bournemouth at home. That's a lot of points dropped to the worst 7 clubs in the league Only 4 of them need to be wins to be 2nd or 3rd at this stage.

That's the disappoinment. Not the individual games but the pattern that has developed over the season and it's still a pattern we don't seem to have an answer to.
jaybs
Has liked: 21 likes
Total likes: 8 likes

Post by jaybs »

As others have said Norwich settled down and played well give them a little credit, we were slow again, what instructions are they given from the kick off? some players gave their best but something was missing, and it was not the two strikers coming on in the 65th minute, yes they made a pass, had one shot, but they are Strikers! simply both of them are firing blanks. Noble is playing his heart out, his control of the ball, and top passes, seeing him strike that goal, no wonder he Flew away, quicker Sakho and Lanzini are back the better we have missed them badly.
bongo
Has liked: 171 likes
Total likes: 4 likes

Post by bongo »

Good company, good pub and coming back from 2-0 down when I thought we where dead and buried all in all not a bad day out.

Enner frustrated me in 1st half constantly being off side although they looked very close from where I was standing. But he then has the ability to have that effort in the 1st half which Ruddy touched over. I think he needs either Carroll or Sakho up top with him.

Anyway overall pleased with point in a game we would have lost last year.
funky chicken
Has liked: 320 likes
Total likes: 1232 likes

Post by funky chicken »

If that games told me one thing yesterday it was without Payet, or Lanzini we are nothing special. We would probably finish lower middle without at least one of them playing. Payet had another quiet game yesterday. But as soon as Bilic FINALLY moved Payet to the middle that changed the game as much as the subs did. He was smart enough to run into the box to make Moses job more easier for our first goal and as good as Noble's finish was Payet was smart enough to see him run into the box in the first place and made the goal happen. There's a reason we haven't actually won any game without at least one of those 2 playing. We went on our bad run when they were both out injured and only won again when Lanzini came on at half time against Southampton. We instantly improved our performance. That's why it's vital this summer we spend our money on quality more than quantity. So we haven't got to constantly rely on of those 2 to save the day all the time. Those 2 for us IMO really are the difference between us finishing in the top 8, or in the bottom half of the table.

That is the sign of a quality player. One that can be quiet and still make something happen. Payet got us through to the next round of the FA Cup with an excellent cross from the free kick and earned us the point yesterday.

As I mentioned the subs did make a difference too. Carroll was a nuisance and really troubled Norwich's defence. Freeing up more space for the players around him to run into. Moses had his best game since probably the game at Old Trafford before he went off injured. I want to see more of that from him. Not turn up when he feels like it. Emenike as poor as his misses were still ran into the right areas. I would've been more concerned if he didn't. But he still should've done better with both. The first chance when he turned, you should at worse get that on target. How you miss the goal altogether I will never know. And that second chance IMO was more easier to score than miss. That was a Carlton Cole special!

Noble for the 3rd game running was MOTM. With Obiang a close 2nd. If Obiang doesn't play more often after his last 2 performances then I will have to question Bilic's sanity a little bit. I hope Bilic from now on just goes with the 2 midfielders and Payet in the middle, instead of 3 in midfield. We played our best football earlier in the season when we just had the 2 in the middle. Take the hint Mr Bilic! Hopefully Lanzini returning will help us with this. It should be IMO Noble with either Kouyate or Obiang playing alongside him and the other on the bench. Probably Kouyate at home as we need to be more positive and Obiang for away games to add more protection to our defence.

Back to the Cup next Saturday. Let's get the win and make it through to the next round :thup:
Paddy O'Hammer
Has liked: 508 likes
Total likes: 162 likes

Post by Paddy O'Hammer »

How did Byram do? He seems to have slipped under the radar....he must have done OK?
Moxy

Post by Moxy »

Thought we worked hard and could've won it, I'm not impressed of what (little) I've seen of emineke so far.