Norwich City 2-2 West Ham Utd (13/02/16)

Relive every moment of every first team game since the beginning of the 2005/06 season. Our archive of matchday threads originally posted in the General Discussion Forum.

Moderator: Gnome

The Rebirth
It's all about the confidence

Re: Norwich City v West Ham Utd: match thread

Post by The Rebirth »

Problem with fans, if you don't light up the world on the first day you're deemed a failure.

Look at Antonio loads on his case at first he then went on a fantastic run of form and now, he had a stinker yesterday all those same "I told you so" think they know it all come out.

We made some mistakes, bit like when we played Watford but we recovered.
ageing hammer
Has liked: 484 likes
Total likes: 1475 likes

Post by ageing hammer »

westhamerica wrote:To be fair, Jerome was well onside when Byram was trying to pull him back and he was clear through. Could have been ugly had it played out.

Byram is doing that every game, Bilic will have to tie his hand behind his back or he will be sent off soon,
ageing hammer
Has liked: 484 likes
Total likes: 1475 likes

Post by ageing hammer »

e17 wrote:We'd have won that 4-2 with Sakho playing yesterday

Agreed, with Sakho, Lanzini and Kouyate back we will be winning a lot more games.
Beavis Danzig
Has liked: 3 likes
Total likes: 733 likes

Post by Beavis Danzig »

The Rebirth wrote:Look at Antonio loads on his case at first he then went on a fantastic run of form and now, he had a stinker yesterday all those same "I told you so" think they know it all come out.
goes for more than individual players. the threads from the aftermath of the bournemouth match are a great resource for learning about your fellow posters.
Kermit
Has liked: 94 likes
Total likes: 321 likes

Post by Kermit »

miketheloop wrote:Kermit I doubt they were told to play two defenders on him, he just draws defenders to him.

I don't think anyone's saying he is a world beater, Carroll has his flaws but give the guy some credit, he helped changed the game, you must see that?

And his pass for Payet was a good pass, he needed the vision to pick it.

Give the guy a break.
I will give credit where I think it's due. But I thought the OP's reference to people "crying out for Carroll" was, to say the least, somewhat OTT.

And I also doubt Norwich's defenders were told to go 2 up against him. In fact seeing the way they defended, particularly when they were trying to protect their lead, got me thinking they aren't actually told anything in training. Nailed on for the drop imo. Makes it even more disappointing we've only taken 2 points from them.
DICAN10

Post by DICAN10 »

DICAN10 wrote:Antonio is not a good player but what he lacks in ability he makes up for in work rate.
Up the Junction wrote:You have to be pulling our pissers. Either that or you need to get your glasses cleaned.

Better than 1 in 3 goalscoring ratio from midfield this season and undroppable since coming into Bilic's side
You think Antonio is a good player?

I'll wait for the goals to dry up and ask your opinion again :lol:
DICAN10

Post by DICAN10 »

Paddy O'Hammer wrote:How did Byram do? He seems to have slipped under the radar....he must have done OK?
Very promising performance, still needs to work on his crossing but defensively sound and offered a threat in attack.
squatski
Massive virgin

Post by squatski »

Adrian needs to go
EastEndIRON
Has liked: 14 likes
Total likes: 49 likes

Post by EastEndIRON »

squatski wrote:Adrian needs to go
Please explain
richneal
Location: Vancouver, British Columbia. 5,000 miles from goal.
Has liked: 3 likes
Total likes: 12 likes

Post by richneal »

Paddy O'Hammer wrote:How did Byram do? He seems to have slipped under the radar....he must have done OK?
He did OK. Unfortunately, the part of his game that everyone notices is his grabby arms - bloody octopus.

Perhaps he got away with it in the Championship, but he got burnt a few times yesterday and every single time his first reaction was to grab an arm and pull them back.

Personally, I hate seeing that - he does it all the time, in every game he's played for us so far - and it's part of the game that I want punished. I don't like seeing the opposition do that to us and I don't want to see any of our players doing that to them.

And as someone else pointed out, it's a matter of time before he picks up a red, which could well be justified on what we've seen so far.
Rocketron
Has liked: 6 likes
Total likes: 50 likes

Post by Rocketron »

richneal wrote: He did OK. Unfortunately, the part of his game that everyone notices is his grabby arms - bloody octopus.

Perhaps he got away with it in the Championship, but he got burnt a few times yesterday and every single time his first reaction was to grab an arm and pull them back.

Personally, I hate seeing that - he does it all the time, in every game he's played for us so far - and it's part of the game that I want punished. I don't like seeing the opposition do that to us and I don't want to see any of our players doing that to them.

And as someone else pointed out, it's a matter of time before he picks up a red, which could well be justified on what we've seen so far.
X2
Paddy O'Hammer
Has liked: 508 likes
Total likes: 162 likes

Post by Paddy O'Hammer »

Cheers on the Byram update!
Colours never run
Location: "Be in no doubt, we are part of the most successful stadium migration in history"
Has liked: 6811 likes
Total likes: 2363 likes

Post by Colours never run »

DICAN10 wrote:
You think Antonio is a good player?

I'll wait for the goals to dry up and ask your opinion again :lol:
I don't agree Antonio is a good player either, I actually think he's quality. I say that not even based on his goals which are a lovely bonus I really wasn't expecting yet. I base it on his tireless work rate to plough up and down the pitch often winning back possession or starting yet another attack occasionally finding himself on the end of it. His passing isn't the best and definitely room for improvement but that's not enough to put me off him.

He's definitely worth every penny and some.

That said, he had a rare off day by his usually high standards. When you put into context though that that performance was off the back of 120 minutes of gruelling end to end football having to play all over the right wing, it shouldn't be too much of a surprise that it caught up with him and it showed looking tired away at Norwich.
Last edited by Colours never run on Sun Feb 14, 2016 7:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Jumby
Has liked: 17 likes
Total likes: 35 likes

Post by Jumby »

squatski wrote:Adrian needs to go
:lol:

There isn't a better keeper in the league, he is quite simply brilliant
Colours never run
Location: "Be in no doubt, we are part of the most successful stadium migration in history"

Usually make sound judgements on the game Jumby but that's way off.

Adrian is definitely behind the likes of Lloris and De Gea off the top of my head. I agree he's very good but nowhere near the best. But of course it's laughable to call for him to be replaced already.
Kialos
Has liked: 1556 likes
Total likes: 773 likes

Post by Kialos »

We were the better team throughout and they were only going to score through us gifting a goal which is exactly what happened.

Thought all the team played well, was disappointed in Valencia but with the benefit of replays not afforded in the ground it seems several of his offsides were actually on.

Coming after a gruelling game on Tuesday we fought well. Very encouraging, especially with Sakho and Lanzini close to fitness. The injuries are doing us, little else.
helloducks

Post by helloducks »

Some harsh judgements on this thread. Thought we pretty much controlled the first half.
Antonio was caught napping, but it was a poor pass, Noble more at fault for me.
First goal came from a very dogged piece of defending from cresswell (I think) which could easily have gone out for a throw, instead he gave that extra effort and sent it upfield - excellent stuff.
I enjoyed it. We have a good fighting spirit but why are people expecting the finished article already?
Colours never run

One thing I do sympathise a lot with Valencia is when he gets caught off side even when he's on which I think can be attributed to his lightening pace. You sometimes can't blame linos for calling him off when it looks much worse in real time. That's certainly not a fault of Valencias, just a victim of his own speed sometimes.
AlfieG
Has liked: 1 like
Total likes: 4 likes

Post by AlfieG »

Colours never run wrote:One thing I do sympathise a lot with Valencia is when he gets caught off side even when he's on which I think can be attributed to his lightening pace. You sometimes can't blame linos for calling him off when it looks much worse in real time. That's certainly not a fault of Valencias, just a victim of his own speed sometimes.
Just like Carlton was........ :wink:
Johnny Byrne's Boots
Has liked: 1788 likes
Total likes: 2072 likes

Post by Johnny Byrne's Boots »

After it (Valencia 'just' offside) happened a couple of times, he should have twigged what was going on and adjusted his runs accordingly.

A different sport I know, but the 6 nations teams have DVDs of all the games with the referee's microphone on the sound track. They literally play the ref, taking advantage of his perceived leniency at the breakdown for instance while being wary of his eagerness to call a forward pass.

He may not be right but he is the referee (or lino), and it's his decision.
Last edited by Johnny Byrne's Boots on Sun Feb 14, 2016 8:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.