West Ham Utd 1-0 Sunderland (27/02/16)

Relive every moment of every first team game since the beginning of the 2005/06 season. Our archive of matchday threads originally posted in the General Discussion Forum.

Moderator: Gnome

Colours never run
Location: "Be in no doubt, we are part of the most successful stadium migration in history"
Has liked: 6811 likes
Total likes: 2363 likes

Re: West Ham Utd vs Sunderland: match thread

Post by Colours never run »

Lanzini and Payet can absolutely play together. The problem at the moment is Lanzini is still ring rusty after his lengthy lay-off and it showed to me during the game yesterday. Uncharacteristic misplaced, sloppy passes, not first to the ball on a couple of occasions, shooting way off. I was calling for him to be replaced and thankfully Bilic did the right thing easing him back in gently, instead of overplaying him. But it'll come back to him again and the pair of them, along with Noble (glimpse of it for Lanzinis mazy run and assist for Noble superb effort) will get back to terrorising defences like they were doing before he was injured against Liverpool.
-DL-
Bag Man
Has liked: 836 likes
Total likes: 4952 likes

Post by -DL- »

It does make me chuckle that people are bringing up my posts and replying that Lanzini and Payet can play together, when I have not actually said that they can't.

My original post stated I am wondering if it may be a case of playing Payet or Lanzini, and what a lovely headache it is for the manager to find a way to make it work - as the way we are set up from those earlier games has evolved, as I said in a subsequent post.

And yet, people are getting on their high horses like I've said they can't play together, when I've said nothing of the sort.

This site etc...
Lincolnhammer92

Post by Lincolnhammer92 »

Gazzaloz wrote:I think we'll be a lot better with Sakho back. He'll play more on the shoulder and stretch defences in a way that Carroll and Big Emmy can't. He'll give Payet a better target and create some space for Lanzini and Moses/Antonio.
Spot on. I think we'd be up there challenging for the title if we had him, Payet and Lanzini fit all season instead of missing months without them all.
Chrissieboy
Rates Garth Crooks
Has liked: 153 likes
Total likes: 71 likes

Post by Chrissieboy »

The last 5 minutes or so we nearly threw that away with some of the most stupid and careless play I've ever seen by a team 1-0 up at any level. Carroll? Should be told not to step in his own half except for defending corners. Glad for the win and a solid performance from Byram and Antonio plus Adrian but a few others need to pull their heads out of their arses. We're capable of a lot better. Some sloppy stuff there. Disappointed with Kouyate and Cresswell again. They are much better than that. Lanzini? Clearly not fit. We got the win anyway so onwards and upwards.
OllyWHU6
Has liked: 7 likes
Total likes: 63 likes

Post by OllyWHU6 »

-DL- wrote:It does make me chuckle that people are bringing up my posts and replying that Lanzini and Payet can play together, when I have not actually said that they can't.

My original post stated I am wondering if it may be a case of playing Payet or Lanzini, and what a lovely headache it is for the manager to find a way to make it work - as the way we are set up from those earlier games has evolved, as I said in a subsequent post.

And yet, people are getting on their high horses like I've said they can't play together, when I've said nothing of the sort.

This site etc...
Completely agree with points you have made over the past few pages. It's not about if they can play together, i have no doubt that they can, nor is it about if they can play very well together, again i have no doubt that they can. The question is can the team play better with only one of them playing, and having Obiang or Moses take that extra spot. It's not purely on the question of ability, it's about their effectiveness in the game. As an example, i thought we improved when Moses came on yesterday because Payet had an option on his left and right to ping the ball about. Whereas with Lanzini, he didn't hold his position on the left as strongly (this can be a good thing in some games, but yesterday i felt it inhibited our ability to attack as O'Shea moved over to cover Antonio and allowed the defence to shift).

Surprised by the comments on Byram, i personally had him as MotM. Battled tremendously well with a physical team, kept the right side fairly quiet bar one major error in the second half and dealt with the high balls coming his way far better than Cressy did. Definitely room to improve as a player, but i think if we'd had a team fighting for the game like him we might have got another goal or two. But opinions hey?

Liked seeing Kouyate get on the ball a bit more, but i wish he'd surge forward occasionally when the space opens up in front of him. But all said and done it was a turgid game, with not a lot to get excited about. That said 3 points, up to 5th, cup quarter final coming up if that's a bad day i'm willing to suffer a few more bad days.
Hammer.CA
Has liked: 2781 likes
Total likes: 607 likes

Post by Hammer.CA »

Romford wrote:Horrid game.

We changed our "build from the back" philosophy and went far more direct and couldn't put 4 passes together. pick up a second bacll and played right into the hands of the boring one.

Nice to see he still hasn't changed in coming out with absolute cobblers at the end of the match.

Was proud about the reaction from the fans...for more respectful than the idiot deserved (or gave)
So let me get this right, you're not a fan of his then? :wink:
warp
Location: I am everything about this site which is wrong... i don't give a toss about WHUFC.

Post by warp »

we've go a jewel
you've got a khazri
Colours never run
Location: "Be in no doubt, we are part of the most successful stadium migration in history"
Has liked: 6811 likes
Total likes: 2363 likes

Post by Colours never run »

I think before they both got their injuries and were playing regularly in the same side, we as a team looked at our best.

I simply put the rustiness down to a lack of match fitness after being out for so long respectively. We're a worse team with them both out of the starting XI, not by miles but not as good all the same.

It must drive opposition defenders and managers a constant headache when they think they've Sussex out one of them if they're lucky, only for the flair player to turn it on and share the creativity rather than be a one trick pony with just one of them. They've proved that in games against Liverpool, Man City, Chelsea, Palace or as recent as away at Balckburn when Lanzini was on the pitch for half an hour with Payet.

The system needs a little more tinkering because I really don't like seeing Payet constantly going out wide where he can't do as much damage as when he plays more centrally. Great for crosses out wide, when they come off but I really do think he's wasted too much of the game when he should predominantly be flowing down the middle. That's another reason why they kept getting on each other's toes yesterday. Lanzini works better out wide drifting inside, I'd continue with that if continuing with a 4231.
TSmitty
Total likes: 2 likes

Post by TSmitty »

Well it was a scrappy ugly 3 but 3 nonetheless. Not sure if it was us or them tbh but hopefully we won't do that against Spuds or they'll tear us a new one.

Pre game wasn't on the TV over here so I couldn't see and haven't seen anything here (maybe missed it ) What kind of reception did BFS get when he came out?
Iron George
Total likes: 1 like

Post by Iron George »

TSmitty wrote:Well it was a scrappy ugly 3 but 3 nonetheless. Not sure if it was us or them tbh but hopefully we won't do that against Spuds or they'll tear us a new one.

Pre game wasn't on the TV over here so I couldn't see and haven't seen anything here (maybe missed it ) What kind of reception did BFS get when he came out?
He didn't really get a reception, either good or bad.

Couple of choruses of "Super Slav" and "We play on the floor" but nothing derogatory towards BFS really.

Probably the best outcome we could have hoped for - ambivalence.
ageing hammer
Has liked: 484 likes
Total likes: 1474 likes

Post by ageing hammer »

Was watching the game in a pub on my own.

At halftime the pub became rather empty as the breakfasts had finished so I ended up in the bar with only about 5 other people scattered around .

They have about 7 or 8 TV screens but the only one with the game on was the one I was looking at and I appeared to be the only person watching it.

I was about 5 feet away looking directly across at the screen.

Just before the second half starts this bloke came in with his bird and a baby a few months old.

They decide to sit at the table right under the big screen with the game on.

The bird is facing me at this stage.

She then takes out the tit and starts breast feeding the baby.

Not even bothering to cover it with a towel or nothing and taking the baby off it for a breather every now and then and leaving it dangling.

It looked like I was oggling her but I was watching the game.

They had at least ten other tables they could have chosen but oh no it had to be the only one showing the flipping game.

Talk about a distraction ffs, it's tough being a West ham fan sometimes :D
OFT
Has liked: 2995 likes
Total likes: 1758 likes

Post by OFT »

Imagine Ageing, if we'd scored just as the baby was about to plug in and you jumped up, arms aloft shouting..'get in you beauty'
ageing hammer

Post by ageing hammer »

OFT wrote:Imagine Ageing, if we'd scored just as the baby was about to plug in and you jumped up, arms aloft shouting..'get in you beauty'

Funnily enough we don't shout that "Get in " thing in Ireland.

In Cork we often shout " Take it out " :D
TSmitty

Post by TSmitty »

Iron George wrote:
He didn't really get a reception, either good or bad.

Couple of choruses of "Super Slav" and "We play on the floor" but nothing derogatory towards BFS really.

Probably the best outcome we could have hoped for - ambivalence.
Ta v much IG. Yeah I think that's about right. I said on Saitch we should all turn our backs and be stumm but that was never gonna happen. As long as there was no majority booing. As has been said, we're past that.
I hated the man's football and his smug not giving a rats, but to show that would be classless.
Estuary
Has liked: 278 likes
Total likes: 117 likes

Post by Estuary »

Terrible game enlived by Antonio's goal and the class our crowd showed.
Freezing cold, terrible pitch and terrible full backs.
I don't get this love in for Cresswell, he had a dire game yet people in the ground sat near us and at least one newspaper had him 8/10, he's a good enough footballer, but lacks the athletic ability and bottle to go with his football skill.
I was wrong about Emineki, he is a slightly beefer version of Miaga.
ageing hammer

Post by ageing hammer »

Anyone know what's gone wrong with the pitch.

I remember back in the 60/70 and 80's and the pitch was dire but it has been magnificent in the last ten years at least.

It looked poor on Saturday and I know it's the same for both teams and not an excuse but we now have a few ball players with great flair and it's a shame if the pitch stops them showing their skills.
Estuary
Has liked: 278 likes
Total likes: 117 likes

Post by Estuary »

The pitch looked thread bare of grass, and very bobbly, not good for a passing team.
The Gibbins
Maggot infested twat
Total likes: 10 likes

Post by The Gibbins »

I think the club have just given up on the stadium, it wouldn't surprise me if the floodlights shut off on Wednesday night as we haven't paid the electricity bill.
POP POP POP Robson
Has liked: 57 likes

Post by POP POP POP Robson »

Am I correct in saying it's a relatively recent thing where our players come out wearing the tracksuit tops? I just wondered whether it was a marketing thing or a sports science recommendation.
k-r-c
Has liked: 28 likes
Total likes: 211 likes

Post by k-r-c »

Not looking after the pitch because of our move?