West Ham Utd 1-0 Tottenham (02/03/16)

Relive every moment of every first team game since the beginning of the 2005/06 season. Our archive of matchday threads originally posted in the General Discussion Forum.

Moderator: Gnome

Iron-worx

Re: West Ham Utd vs Tottenham: Match Thread (02/03/16 19:45)

Post by Iron-worx »

I wonder when the last time was that not one of the top four won in a round of games ?

Leicester 2-2 WBA

West ham 1-0 Filth

Arsenal 1-2 Swansea

Liverpool 3-0 Man C.
smuts
Has liked: 1536 likes
Total likes: 1495 likes

Post by smuts »

Thanks for the opposition view UTJ..... :lol:

"Hoofmania"? "a terrible ref"? Absolutely deluded.
fozzy
Has liked: 23 likes
Total likes: 21 likes

Post by fozzy »

Hahahahahaha literally can't help themselves

'It is a huge compliment to Spurs that West Ham effectively set up like an away team, or a lower league side in a cup match. They could be forgiven for being confused and thinking it was a cup match, since they do treat this fixture like an annual final. The home side were happy to concede possession tonight, confident in their ability to keep us out.'

http://windycoys.com/2016/03/game-plan/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Bill
Stranded in the smog
Has liked: 144 likes
Total likes: 65 likes

Post by Bill »

And we did keep you out. :lol:
gegsy
Has liked: 237 likes
Total likes: 170 likes

Post by gegsy »

"With Kouyate as a makeshift centre back"

and Antonio as a makeshift wing back.

And our 3rd or 4th choice striker up front.

And we still won. :)
Coops
Has liked: 449 likes
Total likes: 590 likes

Post by Coops »

fozzy wrote:Hahahahahaha literally can't help themselves

'It is a huge compliment to Spurs that West Ham effectively set up like an away team, or a lower league side in a cup match. They could be forgiven for being confused and thinking it was a cup match, since they do treat this fixture like an annual final. The home side were happy to concede possession tonight, confident in their ability to keep us out.'

http://windycoys.com/2016/03/game-plan/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
I love the top comment after that article "To summarise…. Slaven Bilic tactical genius"
Crouchend_Hammer
Total likes: 2406 likes

Post by Crouchend_Hammer »

Colours never run wrote:HAHAHAHA I bloody well knew it! They hoofed it more than us! :lol:

What source is that from, UTJ? I need to send it to someone who said we only played it long.
No offence, but why on earth would you send that as evidence? Surely it goes against the argument you are trying to make?
YorksHammer
Has liked: 383 likes
Total likes: 1415 likes

Post by YorksHammer »

Colours never run wrote:HAHAHAHA I bloody well knew it! They hoofed it more than us! :lol:

What source is that from, UTJ? I need to send it to someone who said we only played it long.
Only on raw numbers. You could spin it the other way if you look at percentages - we played a long ball 25.69% of the time, while Spurs played one only 14.4% of the time. Stats are funny like that.

At the end of the day, their supporters shouldn't care about how we played but how they played - if they can't handle that, it's their problem, not ours. They were appaling because we out played them at their own game last night - high pressing and hassling to get the ball back and disrupt their rhythm.

In fact, that we outplayed them the exact way how they were hoping to outplay us makes the victory all the sweeter.
woodford
Has liked: 421 likes
Total likes: 307 likes

Post by woodford »

i think the mighty Spurs were incredibly unlucky. Their prolific strike force were up against 2 proper defenders and a 17 year old by the end. Had we taken both defenders off as well i'm sure they may have scored at some point
61dicksey
Has liked: 586 likes
Total likes: 435 likes

Post by 61dicksey »

WTF is this "clam" they keep reffering to on thier Forums?
Everything eas to blame but not one mention of our domination. saddos
61dicksey
Has liked: 586 likes
Total likes: 435 likes

Post by 61dicksey »

Monkeybubbles wrote:Erik Lamela. What a horrible, spiteful little git. And he looks like a lesbian.
Looks like Zombie flesh eater to me
Colours never run
Location: "Be in no doubt, we are part of the most successful stadium migration in history"
Has liked: 6757 likes
Total likes: 2352 likes

Post by Colours never run »

Crouchend_Hammer wrote:
No offence, but why on earth would you send that as evidence? Surely it goes against the argument you are trying to make?

You're missing the point. They played it long more than we did, yet they (their manager) like to think that only we play long at times. I'm actually not disputing that we can occasionally go long and nor does it bother me. There's more than one way to skin a cat and we use many ways of going about trying to win a game, be it on the deck, go long, long throw-ins, excellent set-pieces. I'm certainly not as hung-up about going long as they like to think they ain't. What's that word again, oh yeah, deluded.
Colours never run
Location: "Be in no doubt, we are part of the most successful stadium migration in history"

woodford wrote:i think the mighty Spurs were incredibly unlucky. Their prolific strike force were up against 2 proper defenders and a 17 year old by the end. Had we taken both defenders off as well i'm sure they may have scored at some point

Come to think of it, I'm absolutely loving the fact that in 2 big North London derbies now, an Academy kid who has barely received his GCSEs results this season has successfully kept their superstars at bay. His pockets must be heaving with players trying to get out, what with Ozil, Giroud, Kane, Eriksen helplessly suffocating afte playing against him. It's funny because it's true.
Crouchend_Hammer

Colours never run wrote:

You're missing the point. They played it long more than we did, yet they (their manager) like to think that only we play long at times. I'm actually not disputing that we can occasionally go long and nor does it bother me. There's more than one way to skin a cat and we use many ways of going about trying to win a game, be it on the deck, go long, long throw-ins, excellent set-pieces. I'm certainly not as hung-up about going long as they like to think they ain't. What's that word again, oh yeah, deluded.
I am not missing the point at all. I get your point. However, those stats are not very good ones to prove it, b/c all it shows is that in that game a quarter of our passing was deemed 'long balls', whereas for them it was about 14%

If a team makes 1000 passes and only 1 percent of them are long balls that makes 10 long balls. Another team may only make 20 passes and 9 of them are long balls. Clearly the latter team are more reliant on long balls
Mega Ron
Has liked: 168 likes
Total likes: 171 likes

Post by Mega Ron »

What constitutes a long ball?

Does a clearance?
Mega Ron
Has liked: 168 likes
Total likes: 171 likes

Post by Mega Ron »

I guess Lloris's goal kicks can't be deemed long balls as they were neither long nor high.
Crouchend_Hammer

No idea. was just basing it on the stats provided on the other page

We don't play 'hoofball', we do use long, directed passes effectively as part of our armoury and that is a very good strategy against certain teams
Hot Bot

Post by Hot Bot »

Long ball schlong ball, who cares? We won.

I'd be very interested to hear why they thought the ref was bad? The four 'big' decisions that I can think of went in their favour. 1. Emenike fouled in first half, yellow card. Correct in my opinion. 2. We scored an offside goal, not given. Correct. 3. Emenike foul claim in second half, adjudged to have fouled their CB. 50/50 - would have been red other way around. 4. Kane's rebound. Not given offside. Incorrect in my opinion, luckily we stopped him from scoring.
I remember our fans (myself included) going mental at him for not giving fouls/throws/onsides to us, so I'd imagine it's the same sort of decisions they're morning about, which seemed (in calm retrospect) pretty even.
I also think he dealt with our time wasting well. Let's not kid ourselves, we were from 10 minutes in. Ref gave 3 mins in first half, which is rare, and was constantly telling us to hurry up - which we always did. Maybe he could have booked someone, but it's very rare to.

Only thing he might have missed was this - I thought I saw Carroll throw an elbow at one of their CBs. He seemed to slow after, but didn't collapse holding his face, and I haven't heard anything about it l, so I may have been wrong?
Colours never run

I see what you're saying about the percentage, but I'm purely focusing on the fact they played the ball long more times than we did. Whether they played more insignificant shorter passes around the middle of the park doing little doesn't concern me, the fact they played more long balls than we did, does. A team and manager who would like to believe their own hype that they wouldn't dream of playing more long balls than us. Well they did and it makes me laugh just thinking about it.
OFT
Has liked: 3242 likes
Total likes: 1852 likes

Post by OFT »

There ain't half some proper miserable bastads on that spurts forum .

Good enough fer em :)