FACQF: Manchester Utd 1-1 West Ham Utd (13/03/16)

Relive every moment of every first team game since the beginning of the 2005/06 season. Our archive of matchday threads originally posted in the General Discussion Forum.

Moderator: Gnome

Crossd_Hammrs
Has liked: 364 likes
Total likes: 209 likes

Re: Manchester Utd v West Ham Utd: FAC QF Match Thread

Post by Crossd_Hammrs »

torquayiron wrote:According to this website replay is next tuesday march 22nd .

http://www.livescore.com/soccer/england ... tures/all/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
The FA website says:
The date of West Ham's replay with Manchester United – in what will be the last Cup tie at Upton Park – will be announced after the second leg of the Old Trafford club's Europa League last-16 tie against Liverpool on Thursday.
http://www.thefa.com/news/the-fa-cup/20 ... final-draw" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
brownout
Has liked: 92 likes
Total likes: 174 likes

Post by brownout »

They must have two dates in mind so why not announce them now?
Pop Robson
Has liked: 34 likes
Total likes: 15 likes

Post by Pop Robson »

[quote="brownout"]They must have two dates in mind so why not announce them now?[/quote

Yep, they could do the if or

Would help out those that could book a half day off work or arrange a doctors appointment
norfolk_hammer

Post by norfolk_hammer »

torquayiron wrote:According to this website replay is next tuesday march 22nd .

http://www.livescore.com/soccer/england ... tures/all/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
They've got City on Sun 20th and then England meet up for the Germany game, would they play it that week with all the Manure players in the squad?
Wembley1966
Has liked: 6 likes
Total likes: 124 likes

Post by Wembley1966 »

It's not just England playing - the international friendlies start on Wednesday 23rd - 10 European countries involved that day, 18 countries on the 24th (including all the other home countries) and 12 countries on the 25th.

So no - it won't be next week!
Stepney

Post by Stepney »

Probably been mentioned already but don't have time to look back at every page.....

Does anyone know when tickets will go on sale for the replay?
Belgian Iron
Has liked: 2 likes
Total likes: 45 likes

Post by Belgian Iron »

I'll probably get some stick for this, but for me Randolph is at fault for their goal.
Of course he is fouled, the goal should never have stood.

But regardless of that, he should NOT be kissing his near post when that ball is wipped in. He was always going to be second best for a cross to the back post. I have seen other GK's who do this. Waiting at the near post, sprinting across desperately to the back post and trying to make the save while you have to hope the defender saves you or the opposition player doesn't aim at the corners.

You can never catch or punch a cross when you're at the near post. He should be a yard behind his near post to boss the aerial battle. If a near post shot or cross comes in, he should have enough to cover his near post by diving to his left or using his feet.

I hope Man Utd won't exploit this in the return fixture. I would be trying to get to the byline and overloading the back post,that's for sure.
Aceface
Has liked: 358 likes
Total likes: 1446 likes

Post by Aceface »

Belgian Iron wrote:I'll probably get some stick for this, but for me Randolph is at fault for their goal.
Of course he is fouled, the goal should never have stood.
I say this as someone who thinks Adrian should be playing in these fixtures - I'd always go with my strongest keeper, and especially for the replay where there's a strong possibility of penalties to decide it - but in Randolph's defence, he probably would have got there had he not been bumped, which would suggest he didn't make a particularly bad judgement. And he normally would have had a second centre-half on the pitch rather than a half-fit Sakho to help him out over that side.
ageing hammer
Has liked: 484 likes
Total likes: 1475 likes

Post by ageing hammer »

Reid, Collins or Tomkins would have blocked Martial's goal.

**** happens and we have another big night at the old girl, what's not to like. :)
chalks
Sliding down his pole
Has liked: 690 likes
Total likes: 1606 likes

Post by chalks »

brownout wrote:They must have two dates in mind so why not announce them now?

06th or 13th April

If Mancs go out of Europa on Thurs then its the 6th, if they win its the 13th
Belgian Iron
Has liked: 2 likes
Total likes: 45 likes

Post by Belgian Iron »

Aceface wrote:
I say this as someone who thinks Adrian should be playing in these fixtures - I'd always go with my strongest keeper, and especially for the replay where there's a strong possibility of penalties to decide it - but in Randolph's defence, he probably would have got there had he not been bumped, which would suggest he didn't make a particularly bad judgement. And he normally would have had a second centre-half on the pitch rather than a half-fit Sakho to help him out over that side.
Randolph would have got there in time trying to save it, but no way he would have been in time to punch it or claim it. Therefore making it some sort of gamble. Because if Martial (or any other player in that position) heads it in the bottom corner or heads it back across goal Randolph stands no chance at all, in time or not.
sanchoz
Location: Founder of the Carlton Cole Fan Club - Rainham & Guildford Branch
Total likes: 11 likes

Post by sanchoz »

Who was responsible for that fish beanie toy in the east lower getting thrown about?
neil_d
Has liked: 1 like
Total likes: 1 like

Post by neil_d »

Crossd_Hammrs wrote:EDIT
Watching again, I think it was onside too. But it's certainly very tight.

Robbed! :x

Just had a look back on this myself. Commentator says something like "Take your pick...three of them [offside]", when actually jus tone was who didn't play the ball.

Just add it to the list, guess.
Mega Ron
Has liked: 170 likes
Total likes: 175 likes

Post by Mega Ron »

neil_d wrote:
Just had a look back on this myself. Commentator says something like "Take your pick...three of them [offside]", when actually jus tone was who didn't play the ball.

Just add it to the list, guess.
They didn't show a replay at the time but I knew they'd be on there
Last edited by Mega Ron on Tue Mar 15, 2016 10:56 am, edited 1 time in total.
Crossd_Hammrs
Has liked: 364 likes
Total likes: 209 likes

Post by Crossd_Hammrs »

For those that wanted to see the disallowed goal that was omitted from Match of the Day:

" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
sanchoz
Location: Founder of the Carlton Cole Fan Club - Rainham & Guildford Branch
Total likes: 11 likes

Post by sanchoz »

irving boleyn wrote:
Remind me of the conclusion of this...What are the downsides of having a defender on one of the posts?
Everyone is onside
Kludgehammer
Has liked: 169 likes
Total likes: 200 likes

Post by Kludgehammer »

If you have a right-footer like Payet hitting the FK from his left side of the goal, I'm wondering whether a way to defend it would be to have the GK line up on the same side of the goal (giving the FK taker a direct but limited shot at the goal, direct at the keeper), and line the wall up on the other side (ie opposite to normal setup) - gives FK-taker more of the goal to aim at if he goes over the wall, but the ball is going to be curling towards the keeper instead of away from him, so more chance of scuttling across and saving it.

On the other hand... I'd like to see us vary them a little bit, just to keep the opposition guessing. At the moment, everyone knows Payet is going to hit it, so the GK can edge further and further to his right in the expectation that that's where the ball is going, and the FK needs to keep getting better to beat him. So, just to mix it up, I'd like to see Creswell smash one into the other side, rather than making a very unconvincing dummy run... or Payet trying one of those daisy-cutter shots under the wall.
Foster's Volley

Post by Foster's Volley »

prophet:marginal wrote:On the other hand... I'd like to see us vary them a little bit, just to keep the opposition guessing.
I was thinking this; Payet's three free-kicks this season (Bournemouth, Blackburn, ManUre) have all swung from the right into the top left (as he looks), from a central/left of centre position

While I disagree with Scholes saying De Gea should've saved it, the GK must've have known it was going there as Payet wasn't going to swing it out right and back into the top right
pharaoh
Has liked: 3 likes
Total likes: 1 like

Post by pharaoh »

Thing is they all went in so doesn't matter if the keeper knew or not. If the keeper went that side he'll only leave the other side of the goal open.