West Ham Utd 2-2 Crystal Palace (02/04/16)

Relive every moment of every first team game since the beginning of the 2005/06 season. Our archive of matchday threads originally posted in the General Discussion Forum.

Moderator: Gnome

american 'ammer

Re: West Ham Utd v Crystal Palace: match thread

Post by american 'ammer »

hammer1975 wrote:In isolation the 2nd goal was a defensive e error but that misses the point a little - we were absolutely chaotic for the 8 minutes or so between the red card and the goal - it was absolutely coming
And my point is we shouldn't be.

I've seen us hold on to a lead with ten men before. Put on a DM, shore it up, defend like we did first half of the season, backs to the wall. Leicester would have.

We haven't been able to see games out and have put ourselves in situations where we give the ref a chance to screw us. We need to shore it up and put right those errors or we don't deserve to be up in the Champs League places.

Do we think the European refs are going to do us any favors?

All this being said, we would have won handily if we actually had a finisher. Would have been 3-1 at halftime. Improve at either end of the pitch and we get top four - though I think we missed the chance this weekend.
hammer1975
Has liked: 933 likes
Total likes: 1088 likes

Post by hammer1975 »

Don't disagree with most of that American 'ammer

Bilic normally gets his subs right but felt that was the wrong one at the time
Estuary
Has liked: 275 likes
Total likes: 116 likes

Post by Estuary »

Our second half wasn't all that from start to finish, we could have done without half time as we would have scored again.
But leaving the nightmare ref aside as I have ranted enough on that plumb in the ref thread, it was two calamitous defensive errors that did for us, on top of which I think Slaven got the starting line up wrong. For me he should have started Tomkins and used Antonio further up the park. But I think Bilic feared the pace of the Palace wide guys and so he went with Antonio to counter it, wrong choice IMO.
Up the Junction
Thinks he owns the place
Has liked: 748 likes
Total likes: 3444 likes

Post by Up the Junction »

Paul Walker: Is this hypocrisy?

http://www.kumb.com/article.php?id=3734
Johnny Byrne's Boots
Has liked: 1785 likes
Total likes: 2071 likes

Post by Johnny Byrne's Boots »

A thought occurred to me regarding Payet's goal, namely it has sown more seeds of doubt in goalkeeper's minds.

Until Palace, most if not all of his free kicks have been to the wall side of the goal, the keeper's far post. Hennessey even took half a step that way as the kick was taken. By putting it to the keeper's side he's given them all something to think about.
HammerMan2004
Has liked: 498 likes
Total likes: 1275 likes

Post by HammerMan2004 »

Up the Junction wrote:Paul Walker: Is this hypocrisy?

Sorry but the Kouyate tackle was nowhere near as reckless as McCarthy's on Payet.
Beavis Danzig
Has liked: 3 likes
Total likes: 733 likes

Post by Beavis Danzig »

a strong tackle which wins the ball vs. a two footed twisting scissor kick from behind which had the sole intention of bringing down the player.

no, it's not.
smarthammer

Post by smarthammer »

What for us to appeal? No chance.

I understand the point he's trying to make but even the action of running requires both feet to leave the ground.

The ball moves upwards and away from Chek after he connected with it suggesting his foot was under the ball and beat Gayle to it. Gayles foot would have needed to be where it was to make a challenge regardless and the fact Chek's other leg was not even involved in the tiny contact he made makes this whole debate farcical.

Two completely different tackles with different intent and outcomes. After all Gayle "the poor injured soul" managed to get up and score 8 mins later whereas McCarthy's took Dimi out for 3 months.
sendô
Location: rubbing my eyes in disbelief - we've won a European trophy!
Has liked: 2423 likes
Total likes: 2634 likes

Post by sendô »

The both feet off of the floor guideline is to prevent tackles like McCarthy's on Payet earlier in the season, or the one from Roy Keane that ended Alfe Inge Haarlands career.

Kouyates was a strong, stretching for the ball tackle and not in the same league.

There's a balance to be found, and if we are saying Kouyates is a red then we've gone too far IMO.
Up the Junction
Thinks he owns the place

Strange one from Saturday; Pardew with assistant Keith Millen. I wonder what this was all about?

AlfieG
Has liked: 1 like
Total likes: 4 likes

Post by AlfieG »

I do not like him at all but here's what Crooks said about it..... and even a stopped watch is correct twice every 24 hours....

I have seen Dimitri Payet's goal a dozen times. It gets better every time I see it! Yet, what should have been a fantastic winner for West Ham, became nothing more than a contributory factor in an afternoon's work against Crystal Palace because of referee Mark Clattenburg's poor judgement.

What was no more than a routine infringement at best by Cheikhou Kouyate suddenly constituted a sending-off. Aston Villa defender Alan Hutton's tackle on Chelsea midfielder Loftus-Cheek was reckless and deserved to see a second yellow card but Kouyate's tackle on Palace striker Dwight Gayle deserved nothing more than a sharp rebuke.

The fact that Kouyate went into the tackle showing his laces and Hutton with his studs showing is enough to tell referees all they need to know about what is dangerous and what is not. Payet's moment of magic gave us all so much joy and then Clattenburg conspired to take it all way.

On this occasion I agree with the fat twat... :lol:
mushy
Has liked: 640 likes
Total likes: 839 likes

Post by mushy »

HammerMan2004 wrote: Sorry but the Kouyate tackle was nowhere near as reckless as McCarthy's on Payet.
But it was reckless right?
Reckless tackles will get punished and for a small amount of time there Kouyate didnt have full control.
StoneHammer
Has liked: 84 likes
Total likes: 23 likes

Post by StoneHammer »

Up the Junction wrote:Strange one from Saturday; Pardew with assistant Keith Millen. I wonder what this was all about?
"Smell it. I'm so good I don't use one finger, I need the whole hand"

Too crude? :wink:
Oldun
Has liked: 165 likes
Total likes: 566 likes

Post by Oldun »

Up the Junction wrote:Strange one from Saturday; Pardew with assistant Keith Millen. I wonder what this was all about?
Look at her in the wheelchair.i love a cougar,let me at her.
Up the Junction
Thinks he owns the place

The opposition view: Crystal Palace
http://kumb.com/story.php?id=129673
Aceface
Has liked: 358 likes
Total likes: 1446 likes

Post by Aceface »

Up the Junction wrote:The opposition view: Crystal Palace
"Hope they enjoy rattling around the new ground."
Whether you're in favour of the move or not, it's going to be delightful watching the people who haven't yet got the memo try and fathom a 60k sell-out most weeks next season.
Xabbu
Has liked: 10 likes
Total likes: 48 likes

Post by Xabbu »

I know it's semantics but I don't like this term of "needing to be in control of your body" when making a tackle. People don't suddenly lose control as soon as they launch into a tackle and it's more than obvious to anyone whose been around a football pitch for years when someone is going out to 'do someone'. People are seriously confusing a two footed tackle (extremely dangerous) with a genuine tackle where both feet leave the ground.
smuts
Has liked: 1498 likes
Total likes: 1439 likes

Post by smuts »

Up the Junction wrote:The opposition view: Crystal Palace
http://kumb.com/story.php?id=129673
"Had to chuckle at the wet spam forum kumb match thread claiming that clattenburg screwed them over today that's not how I remember it and I'm not just being one sided any neutral fan who watched that game would probably see it the same way."
- Bullhorn76

Wet Spam :thdn: .....and from his user name, Bullhorn is forty years old.
norfolk_hammer

Post by norfolk_hammer »

When Gayle was sent off at Selhurst I thought he was shown a second yellow not a straight red as the picture in the article shows? Thought Kuoyate's was yellow at best and never a red and it without question changed the outcome of the game.
Sauce!
Location: sitting on a bucket on a hamper in the corner of the old wigwam.
Total likes: 5 likes

Post by Sauce! »

"Clattenburg does not make these mistakes".

:lol: