FACQFR: West Ham Utd 1-2 Manchester Utd (13/04/16)

Relive every moment of every first team game since the beginning of the 2005/06 season. Our archive of matchday threads originally posted in the General Discussion Forum.

Moderator: Gnome

bristolhammerfc
Has liked: 197 likes
Total likes: 609 likes

Re: Manchester Utd v West Ham Utd: FAC QF Match Thread 7pm

Post by bristolhammerfc »

Reflecting after the match.

We have to sort out the cover if we are going to use our left and right backs as wing backs.

Poor Antonio was at fault for both goals and Creswell got caught a couple of times.

Also, Tomkins and Cresswell should have switched when Fellani was at the back post. Creswell lost out at least three times. Ogbonna has no pace and his timing is awful.

Noble and Lanzini were good on the ball but Payet and Lanzini were in each others way too often.

I would have taken Valencia off earlier he was ineffective, Also suprised that Ginge didn't switch with Antonio, with Tomkins going to right back.

Felt sorry for AC, the booking early on did him no favours. Thought Moses did OK.
Marky
Has liked: 52 likes
Total likes: 175 likes

Post by Marky »

Agree DL.

Still baffled why Slaven cant see it. There is no sane argument for him to play.
1mcavennie
Total likes: 1 like

Post by 1mcavennie »

Chin up boys, let's show a bit of realism and not turn into Chelski fans

I've been going to the BG for over 30 years and I'm gutted we lost the last cup game to Man U

But let's not have a pop at our own. Do we remember where we were this time last season?

We weren't the better team on the night but with a bit of luck we might have taken the game to extra time

If Valencia is now our 'worst' player as some are suggesting - look how far we have come

If Slaven didn't get it spot on last night according to some - look how far we have come

Let's not turn up with our lips out next Wednesday let's turn up and roar on the best team we have had for 30 years

COTI!
DaveWHU1964
Has liked: 1302 likes
Total likes: 679 likes

Post by DaveWHU1964 »

Good post 1macca.

I'm as gutted as the next man but we've come a long way quickly. To my mind we are a better team than Man Utd and they have more to do than us this Summer. For the first time in exactly 30 years I wouldn't swap their squad for ours and that's something I would never have considered remotely possible 5 years or so ago.

The disappointment is because we know we are at least their equals. Next season why can't we confirm we're their betters?

Tore and a striker added to this team makes us better than we are now. Sure they'll spend but the last £300 million has counted for precious little - there's no guarantee the next £100 million will help them too much either - they have so much to do - far, far more than us regardless of last night's result.

We'll be back. Our trajectory is upwards. Theirs isn't. That's my consolation. :crest:
Bergen Hammer
Has liked: 1 like

Post by Bergen Hammer »

Nothing to add to what others have written, deflated seems to be the word that covers it best.

Agree with others, and have said for some time now that Carroll is a world class impact sub, but it really does affect our flow and pattern when he's starting as the distances gets just a little bit too big leaving him isolated at times, and to get the best out of Andy, you really need to play to his strenghts. This obviously affects the ball players also as we are a man short in our build up IMO. Sure Carroll can lay off a ball, but the quick one two's aint his forte.

Valencia is so frustrating, and I swear I would have hauled him off after 15 minutes, let alone start him.
He does work hard whithout the ball, but my god how poor he is on it.
No technique, no vision and no cohones. Yes he's got a wicked shoot on his day, but it's just not enough.

Having said that, I am so proud of the team, after the coma inducing football under Sam, we're having a brilliant season and I'm loving it under Slav. Just need to get back on it for the last stretch now to make it count, even though we do seem a little tired.

Come on you Irons
Status Kev
Has liked: 28 likes
Total likes: 24 likes

Post by Status Kev »

Bergen Hammer wrote:
Valencia is so frustrating, and I swear I would have hauled him off after 15 minutes, let alone start him.
He does work hard whithout the ball, but my god how poor he is on it.
No technique, no vision and no cohones. Yes he's got a wicked shoot on his day, but it's just not enough.
Loses possession far too easily for me.
Stepney

Post by Stepney »

I just can't get over this. Gona try watching the whole game again on BBC iPlayer and hope that it puts it to bed once and for all.
Belgian Iron
Has liked: 2 likes
Total likes: 45 likes

Post by Belgian Iron »

That Liverpool comeback made it worse. What could have been a special night.....
mikee31

Post by mikee31 »

This ones gonna hurt for a while as we've got to endure the semis and final yet, knowing that our absence will be due to failing to see out a win at Old Trafford and then not turning up for the replay.

Let's do the business in the remaining league fixtures and get as high a league position as we can. Hopefully higher than last nights opponents.

If we can freshen things up a bit as well with Collins, Obiang, Sakho, Song, Byram, Reid, etc. then we shouldn't have any complaints about fatigue. COYI :crest:
Iron-worx

Post by Iron-worx »

They played better than they have been of late and we never got going until it was too late, it happens.

We've not attained the results needed to progress in the passed few weeks, we're out of the cup and stagnant at best in the league as a result.

We're shipping too many goals is the root cause, it's difficult to ship two (three v Arsenal) and win.

You need to win at this point in the season to be going anywhere promising.
Robbie
Has liked: 68 likes
Total likes: 36 likes

Post by Robbie »

1mcavennie wrote:Chin up boys, let's show a bit of realism and not turn into Chelski fans

I've been going to the BG for over 30 years and I'm gutted we lost the last cup game to Man U

But let's not have a pop at our own. Do we remember where we were this time last season?

We weren't the better team on the night but with a bit of luck we might have taken the game to extra time

If Valencia is now our 'worst' player as some are suggesting - look how far we have come

If Slaven didn't get it spot on last night according to some - look how far we have come

Let's not turn up with our lips out next Wednesday let's turn up and roar on the best team we have had for 30 years

COTI!
Great post mate. Spot on, and this should be our attitude going into the final stretch.
Look How Far We Have Come.....INDEED! :crest:
Hammer in Split

Post by Hammer in Split »

Belgian Iron wrote:That Liverpool comeback made it worse. What could have been a special night.....
Completely. Our last minute goal was offside by 6" - Liverpool goal goes down in history. Deeply gutted.
1860OnceMoore

Post by 1860OnceMoore »

Had a day to reflect and I am still sickened that the lads picked that night to put in one of the worst performances of the season!

I think we went into the game with the wrong attitude - think the players assumed we were already in the Semi and that Man Utd would simply capitulate in our initial onslaught (I must admit I thought that too!) I think that defeat will linger for a long time - even beating them in the league in May, will only seem like a kind of restitution.
RichieRiv
Has liked: 307 likes
Total likes: 802 likes

Post by RichieRiv »

Come on get a grip. At the beginning of the season people were looking for a mid table finish and a decent cup run. I think we have exceeded both. Yes it's very disappointing but a bit of perspective is needed.

If we smash the mancs last home game, then all with be forgiven. Have another good cup run next season and it will be all forgotten.
beckton

Post by beckton »

RichieRiv wrote:Come on get a grip. At the beginning of the season people were looking for a mid table finish and a decent cup run. I think we have exceeded both. Yes it's very disappointing but a bit of perspective is needed.

If we smash the mancs last home game, then all with be forgiven. Have another good cup run next season and it will be all forgotten.

:thup:

Yep. I was a gutted as anyone on Wednesday/Thursday but time to move on now.

I think we've had a great season but people got a bit carried of how good we actually are. If we can put our best or near best team out we'll give anyone a game. I think everything caught up with us on Wednesday Night.

Onwards and upwards.
Stepney

Post by Stepney »

RichieRiv wrote: If we smash the mancs last home game, then all with be forgiven
No it won't. Because that won't result in a day out at Wembley.
Iron George
Total likes: 1 like

Post by Iron George »

My overriding feeling is the International break has hurt us a lot.

We had loads of positive momentum going into it and in my view haven't been the same team since
bonzosbeard
Has liked: 2115 likes
Total likes: 1337 likes

Post by bonzosbeard »

In 1986 we lost the FA Cup Quarter Final to Sheffield Wednesday. I was a gutted 16 year old and now a gutted 46 year old.

However the team pulled their sleeves up and finished 3rd. :crest:
Lilyhammer

Post by Lilyhammer »

I think we all went with the expectation that this was going to be one of those special nights under the lights, the last ever FA Cup game at Upton Park, it was set up to be a classic, the match live on TV, a full house, West Ham v a struggling Man Utd, everyone including myself predicting a comfortable win for us, Payet to run the show and score the winner with a 35 yard free kick to send the home fans into raptures and give the old girl the greatest send off ever, unfortunately the players and management team never read and understood the script!
As the song goes.........like my dreams....
It's what makes our club special!
Hockley Hammer
Total likes: 30 likes

Post by Hockley Hammer »

beckton wrote:I think we've had a great season but people got a bit carried of how good we actually are. If we can put our best or near best team out we'll give anyone a game. I think everything caught up with us on Wednesday Night.
Totally agree. It's very rare that we have been seen as the favourites in a game like that and it changes expectations. Me and a mate were saying after the Arsenal game that whatever the circumstances, we had failed to see out four games on the trot when we had the lead. A good team doesn't really do that. It's mentality as much as ability.

I wasn't too concerned at conceding the first goal the other night, but I really didn't expect to concede a second.

The worry is talking to quite a few fans since the game is that we have the inevitable slump now with Southampton and Liverpool improving. We've seen it too many times before.

Hang on to where we are and even have a go at 5th and I will be delighted.