FACQFR: West Ham Utd 1-2 Manchester Utd (13/04/16)

Relive every moment of every first team game since the beginning of the 2005/06 season. Our archive of matchday threads originally posted in the General Discussion Forum.

Moderator: Gnome

Estuary
Has liked: 275 likes
Total likes: 116 likes

Re: Manchester Utd v West Ham Utd: FAC QF Match Thread 7pm

Post by Estuary »

Good first 15 min , good last 15 min. As I had said previously, we were playing a bad Man Utd side, that is a very different thing from being a bad team and for long periods they showed that they are decent enough.But after the first 15mins we carried three players, Lanzini, Payet and Valencia, which meant our centre midfield two were completely out numbered and they passed it through us for fun.

Ultimately even though we got run around a bit for an hour it took error's/luck for them to score, a misplaced pass for their first and a deflection off Tomkins on the ball back in for it to fall to Fellaini and then some great goal keeping from De Gea at 2-1, to get them over the line.

So all in all a huge disappointment, but I think if we are honest we knew that when Randolph got shoved into the net but the goal stood it wasn't our name on the cup but theirs.

beckton

Post by beckton »

Hockley Hammer wrote:[Totally agree. It's very rare that we have been seen as the favourites in a game like that and it changes expectations. Me and a mate were saying after the Arsenal game that whatever the circumstances, we had failed to see out four games on the trot when we had the lead. A good team doesn't really do that. It's mentality as much as ability.

But we are a good team. It's people expectations that are the problem. We went into to Wednesday's game without a regular right back which didn't help our cause among other things but we were still going to blow Man U away.

And in those four games you mention there has to be context. Those games include Man U, Chelsea and Arsenal and we've had some horrific decisions go against us. The very best teams in the world would struggle getting positive results under those circumstances.
Hatcham Iron
Has liked: 3 likes
Total likes: 3 likes

Post by Hatcham Iron »

Just one of those games it happens to all sides even barca time to look to the positives this season.We are haveing our best season for a long time and achieving it by playing some great football.we are building a side to be reccond with. We now are on merit knocking on the door to the top 6. We still need to build up the squad so that we dont have to play players out of position,l v g in my opinion targeted our weak spots right back etc and it paid off for them.I like many on here feel obiang shoul be in the side especialy if song is surplus especialy against sides who can exploit a weakness in that position.we are still work in progress I have been a hammer since 1950 and I have never been so exited about our future as I am now I have seen the best and worst times of our great club and believe me even better times are close.Come on you irons :crest:
Romford
Big X

Post by Romford »

Estuary wrote:
So all in all a huge disappointment, but I think if we are honest we knew that when Randolph got shoved into the net but the goal stood it wasn't our name on the cup but theirs.
I feel better now someone else has said that..cheers mate :wink:

Fortunes always hiding ...
Chicken Run Supreme
Has liked: 855 likes
Total likes: 823 likes

Post by Chicken Run Supreme »

Estuary wrote:

This, alas. This is what made me so nervous about Wednesday. We took the game to them at OT and outplayed them with no fear. They got out of jail and they knew it. On Wednesday we played with fear.

What really gets my goat though is listening to TalkSport (I know, I know) and hearing Mancs bemoaning the fact that they are in FA Cup Semi Finals as it papers over the cracks and gives LVG a stay of execution. They think very little of the FA Cup and are more concerned with getting a Top 4 place that grants them entry to the cash jackpot that is the Champions League
Monkeybubbles
Has liked: 485 likes
Total likes: 1953 likes

Post by Monkeybubbles »

Chicken Run Supreme wrote:They think very little of the FA Cup and are more concerned with getting a Top 4 place that grants them entry to the cash jackpot that is the Champions League
Us knocking them over in the last game of the season, so that we get fourth and they don't, would be the karma they deserve.
fredjstanley

Post by fredjstanley »

After last night's Liverpool comeback, a part of me wants United to scrape into fourth, us to come fifth and Liverpool to win the Europa League - therefore knocking the scummy Mancs out of the CL and into the Europa alongside us
trick88

Post by trick88 »

Monkeybubbles wrote:
Us knocking them over in the last game of the season, so that we get fourth and they don't, would be the karma they deserve.
I think it could be a position decider but for 5th, think Citeh will secure 4th
Hockley Hammer
Has liked: 1 like
Total likes: 30 likes

Post by Hockley Hammer »

beckton wrote:But we are a good team. It's people expectations that are the problem. We went into to Wednesday's game without a regular right back which didn't help our cause among other things but we were still going to blow Man U away.

And in those four games you mention there has to be context. Those games include Man U, Chelsea and Arsenal and we've had some horrific decisions go against us. The very best teams in the world would struggle getting positive results under those circumstances.
I'm not trying to say we aren't a good side and you are right about the quality of opposition in those games, but a couple of things about us drive me mad.

Why do we start some games at a great pace and others the complete opposite. My main bugbear is why can't we put a game out of sight when we are on top, so that a bad decision becomes an annoyance rather than a game-changer.

I was trying to think how many times we have actually gone two goals in front this season. I'm pretty certain we have run out winners most if not every time.

My confidence the other night was that we would score and I could not see that Man Utd. team scoring more than once. I just could not believe that we gave them a two goal lead. Of course it can happen, but we have kept some far better teams at bay this season.
Colours never run
Location: "Be in no doubt, we are part of the most successful stadium migration in history"
Has liked: 6811 likes
Total likes: 2363 likes

Post by Colours never run »

Chicken Run Supreme wrote:
What really gets my goat though is listening to TalkSport (I know, I know) and hearing Mancs bemoaning the fact that they are in FA Cup Semi Finals as it papers over the cracks and gives LVG a stay of execution. They think very little of the FA Cup and are more concerned with getting a Top 4 place that grants them entry to the cash jackpot that is the Champions League
I can also vouch for this, as the 2 Mancs I spoke to after the game, both said that they're not particularly fussed about winning the Cup and would rather get 4th. No hint of a piss take, they genuinely believed that if they don't get that, their season has been poor regardless of the Cup. They're absolutely desperate to see the back of Van Gaal too. I made the point to them that finishing '4th' like it's an achievement means little really by comparison to actually winning silverware and that the money made from TV dwarfs the money gained from qualifying in the Champions League these days. They've been brainwashed by it all. They weren't day trippers either, they are regular away supporters.

It's what makes losing to these ****ers even more galling, knowing full well we have the upmost respect for the FA Cup as a Club and would give anything to win it. It's all just so painfully tragic. It's also a twisted irony, as I like many other Hammers would much prefer to win the Cup than to qualify for the Champions League. Everybody loses.
Estuary

Post by Estuary »

I can also vouch for this, as the 2 Mancs I spoke to after the game, both said that they're not particularly fussed about winning the Cup and would rather get 4th.

Exactly, I likened it to this. You're out and see is a top sort, you really fancy her, she likes you, but not as much as she likes your flash mate, who you tolerate, but he's a bit of an arse, and has already said he doesn't fancy her. You want to take her home, but she goes home with matey, who really doesn't like her.
Crouchend_Hammer
Has liked: 137 likes
Total likes: 2353 likes

Post by Crouchend_Hammer »

Colours never run wrote:
I can also vouch for this, as the 2 Mancs I spoke to after the game, both said that they're not particularly fussed about winning the Cup and would rather get 4th. No hint of a piss take, they genuinely believed that if they don't get that, their season has been poor regardless of the Cup. They're absolutely desperate to see the back of Van Gaal too. I made the point to them that finishing '4th' like it's an achievement means little really by comparison to actually winning silverware and that the money made from TV dwarfs the money gained from qualifying in the Champions League these days. They've been brainwashed by it all. They weren't day trippers either, they are regular away supporters.

It's what makes losing to these ****ers even more galling, knowing full well we have the upmost respect for the FA Cup as a Club and would give anything to win it. It's all just so painfully tragic. It's also a twisted irony, as I like many other Hammers would much prefer to win the Cup than to qualify for the Champions League. Everybody loses.
To be fair, we haven't won a trophy for 36 years. Manchester United have won about 15 league titles, 2 European Cups and a handful of FA cups in that time. It is unsurprising theyhave a different attitude towards winning the FA Cup than we are.
If we ever get a sustained run of success that includes FA Cup, sustained European football, a league title or two, our priorities as fans would likely change as well.
Colours never run
Location: "Be in no doubt, we are part of the most successful stadium migration in history"
Has liked: 6811 likes
Total likes: 2363 likes

Post by Colours never run »

Speak for yourself my good man. My outlook would never change.

Those ****ers didn't even bother entering the Competition in 99, turning their back on it, that's how bad they got.
brun61

Post by brun61 »

The way and time the manc players celebrated both goals and then the muggy supports carried on at the final whistle, makes me think winning the cup does mean something to them, I hope they win sweet F A & would love it if we stuff their last chance of any kind of glory at our last home game, a fitting goodbye to the old girl
smarthammer

Post by smarthammer »

Come on chaps the games gone now - just enjoy the irony that LVG will live to fight another day or season and that will irk them more.

The full karma package would be them losing in the final to Watford or Palace and us finishing above them.
Kludgehammer
Has liked: 169 likes
Total likes: 200 likes

Post by Kludgehammer »

Colours never run wrote:Those ****ers didn't even bother entering the Competition in 99, turning their back on it, that's how bad they got.
That wasn't their fault, that was down to the FA.
mushy
Has liked: 640 likes
Total likes: 839 likes

Post by mushy »

smarthammer wrote:Come on chaps the games gone now - just enjoy the irony that LVG will live to fight another day or season and that will irk them more.
I have a sneaky feeling that LVG will come good for them.
Estuary

Post by Estuary »

[/quote]
I have a sneaky feeling that LVG will come good for them.[/quote]

De Gae making those saves being his Mark Robins moment ?
Knighter10WHU
Has liked: 154 likes
Total likes: 193 likes

Post by Knighter10WHU »

mushy wrote:I have a sneaky feeling that LVG will come good for them.
I agree. In fairness, I don't think he's done that bad a job this season, they are very good at the back, had Depay proven to be a good signing they might have been above City and all the other usual suspects in the top 4 this season.
Cardiff here we come.....
Has liked: 108 likes
Total likes: 126 likes

Post by Cardiff here we come..... »

-DL- wrote:
If we wanted to sell him, playing him should be the last thing we do. A link to his you tube goals video would suffice, but ffs, don't let anybody see him in the flesh. We'll never get rid of him...
Valencia ----------->Chelsea for £22m :cry:

Have to say Wednesday night's defeat ranks up with one of the most gutting nights I can remember. As others have said on here this game should have not taken place. Man United's goal up at OS should have never stood & should have been planning our Semi Final trip to Wembley 3 weeks ago.

What beat us? The excited but nervous West Ham players that only played well 20 of the 90 minutes. All our 'big players' had 5/10 nights & that includes Payet, Lanzini, Noble & Carroll. Added to the fact that our tactics were totally wrong on the night. Bilic in private will know he messed this one up, but he deserves the biggest slack cut, as he & our team have been fantastic this season. Absolute brilliant 2015/16 & will live long in the memory.

Various defeats late in the Cup rounds for example Forest Semi Final, Oldham Semi Final, Stoke Quarter Final & Birmingham City Semi Final were all difficult defeats but last night IMO was the most difficult. I think it was because we all knew that if we beat Man United we had a tremendous chance to win the whole thing.

Whatever happens from now to the end of the season, I have already made my mind up....

2015/16 has been a superb season & big thank you to Bilic & the players