FACQFR: West Ham Utd 1-2 Manchester Utd (13/04/16)

Relive every moment of every first team game since the beginning of the 2005/06 season. Our archive of matchday threads originally posted in the General Discussion Forum.

Moderator: Gnome

Chrissieboy
Rates Garth Crooks
Has liked: 153 likes
Total likes: 71 likes

Re: Manchester Utd v West Ham Utd: FAC QF Match Thread 7pm

Post by Chrissieboy »

Spot on Estuary and Colours never run. You've both given me a chuckle too. Cheers.
Iron George
Total likes: 1 like

Post by Iron George »

Cardiff here we come..... wrote:Various defeats late in the Cup rounds for example Forest Semi Final, Oldham Semi Final, Stoke Quarter Final & Birmingham City Semi Final were all difficult defeats but last night IMO was the most difficult. I think it was because we all knew that if we beat Man United we had a tremendous chance to win the whole thing.

Whatever happens from now to the end of the season, I have already made my mind up....

2015/16 has been a superb season & big thank you to Bilic & the players
You're right on both counts.

I was at all of those games and none left me as gutted as i felt Wednesday night, but I remember saying to my son on the drive back from OT that we had missed our opportunity especially with the replay date likely to be over a month away.

But, as you say, it has been a wonderful season in many respects and while we will win as much this season as we did last, the difference between the two couldn't have been greater.
Colours never run
Location: "Be in no doubt, we are part of the most successful stadium migration in history"
Has liked: 6811 likes
Total likes: 2363 likes

Post by Colours never run »

After watching the game back (because I'm sadistic like that), the players that stood out for me who actually put in a decent performance was Randolph, Tomkins, Ogbonna, Noble and Carroll. Noble in particular had a very good game even though he was having to do a lot of it on his own in the middle of the park.

Why oh why Bilic refused to start or bring Obiang on as the vital extra man to win the ball back in midfield and help improve our passing overall, only he will know as to me it was crying out for it. It's weird because for someone who I usually find identifies problems quickly and most of the time make the right calls, he couldn't see this obvious thing to do by reverting to a strong midfield 3 with Lanzini and Payet further forward supporting the striker. It came across like he was trying to force the win by going all out attack, rather than play his usual patient game and hitting teams on the break.

Noble was very classy on the ball, rarely wasted a pass, kept trying to open them up but his team mates just weren't at the races and he couldn't do it all on his own.

Sadly Payet, Lanzini, especially for their high standards drunk the place out and both had their worse game of the season for me. They looked knackered. Valencia topping the lot which just made me angry, as well as the hapless Emenike, who people keep telling me is a good player and to give him even more time, yet all I see is wasteful, half hearted performances for the majority of the time he's been with us, yet Bilic continues to rely on him.
Jabsco79
Has liked: 6 likes
Total likes: 21 likes

Post by Jabsco79 »

Colours never run wrote:Valencia topping the lot which just made me angry, as well as the hapless Emenike, who people keep telling me is a good player and to give him even more time, yet all I see is wasteful, half hearted performances for the majority of the time he's been with us, yet Bilic continues to rely on him.
I've gone off Valencia since the Southampton away game recently when he ballooned a free-kick from a decent position into row Z and had an expression after like he couldn't give a **** strikes me as in the Sakho mode attitude wise.

Emenike is a willing and strong runner, excellent at closing the keeper down like against Spurs but not a lot of quality.

Likewise, watched the re-run since and still scratching my head at the last chance corner not being flung into the box for Carroll and Tomkins to attack rather than relying on the outside chance of a worldy from Noble on the edge.

Can't recall as much media hype around a home game before and do wonder if all the talk of favourites, the last ever cup game at the Boleyn, the ridiculous delay since the first game etc contributed more than realised. Real shame but onwards and upwards.
BondsoBob
Has liked: 573 likes
Total likes: 519 likes

Post by BondsoBob »

It's taken me till now to get over it. But in retrospect, as quite a few others have said, I think we had our chance at Old Trafford. And for whatever reason we blew it.
Stepney

Post by Stepney »

Jabsco79 wrote:
I've gone off Valencia since the Southampton away game recently when he ballooned a free-kick from a decent position into row Z and had an expression after like he couldn't give a ****.
Agree with this. After that piss poor back pass against United he was grinning like a cheshire cat. Like he thought it was funny. Like he didn't realise that 30,000 people's lives depended on us winning that game, most of which had made the effort to go up to Blackburn and Manchester to get into that position, only for him to pee-roll it back to their keeper. And when he was subbed off he was smiling too. Didn't look bothered. I can't wait to see the back of the mug and that ****-eating grin of his.
hammerleroy

Post by hammerleroy »

Clearly Valencia "just don't understand"! Be off with you and do not darken our doors again. :fsake:
Gep

Post by Gep »

Can we finally close this thread and move on. It's depressing enough knowing it's still open everyday.