West Ham Utd 3-3 Arsenal (09/04/16)

Relive every moment of every first team game since the beginning of the 2005/06 season. Our archive of matchday threads originally posted in the General Discussion Forum.

Moderator: Gnome

the pink palermo
Huge noggin
Has liked: 804 likes
Total likes: 3018 likes

Re: West Ham United v Arsenal: Match Thread

Post by the pink palermo »

Albie Beck wrote: But what is happening is unconscious bias, which is ingrained. As such it is almost impossible to identify and will not easily be eradicated.
Refs are certainly taking long looks before giving us any free kicks within Payets range .The implication being they think we may be going down too easily .I winder if opposition managers mention it just before going out ?

Yesterday the ref looked very Arsenal friendly , reluctant to penalise them for anything but very quick to pull our lads up .

And Ozils eyes were definitely offside .
Albie Beck
Has liked: 629 likes
Total likes: 655 likes

Post by Albie Beck »

the pink palermo wrote:And Ozils eyes were definitely offside
:D one of them was - the other was still looking at the lino

He's just a **** Marty Feldman...
Romford
Big X

Post by Romford »

the pink palermo wrote:
Refs are certainly taking long looks before giving us any free kicks within Payets range .The implication being they think we may be going down too easily .I winder if opposition managers mention it just before going out ?

Yesterday the ref looked very Arsenal friendly , reluctant to penalise them for anything but very quick to pull our lads up .

I said that yesterday.....shame they never did the same 15 years ago when Sparky Hughes used to back in then go over like a dead duck for Zola.

For a diving team we don't get many pens...something which makes you wonder.
Romford
Big X

Post by Romford »

the pink palermo wrote:
He wasn't in the same league as Nobes yesterday either....but no doubt Woy wasn't watching.
mumbles87
Has liked: 55 likes
Total likes: 947 likes

Post by mumbles87 »

Managed to see Carrolls second goal before half term over my colleagues shoulder yesterday..what a volley.. on his day he is outstanding. Hope this hattrick inspires him to give us that final push in the last few games
chappo59
Location: In a land far far away where away defeats are frowned upon
Has liked: 393 likes
Total likes: 224 likes

Post by chappo59 »

I was lucky enough to get a ticket yesterday, my son couldn't make it so I took my 7 year old grandson.
I could be lucky in one of the remaining ballots but somehow I feel yesterday was my final farewell to a ground in which I've been privileged to watch some fantastic footballers work their magic including but not limited to Denis Law, George Best, Booby Moore, Liam Brady, Pop Robson, Devo, Brooking, Cottee, Payet, the imperious Billy Bonds et al.

We got to the ground early and this enabled me to take some touristy photos of my grandson in front of and in the ground. I bought myself a Guinness to toast my late uncle who first sat me on his shoulders in the old North Bank and his uncle who came back from helping to liberate Belsen and never missed a game in the top left corner of the same stand and from that point in the tears flowed and unashamedly continued to flow through the pitch entrance rendition of bubbles up until I finally looked over my shoulder at the top of the roof walking back to my car.

Henry kept snatching quick glances at me during this only his second visit to UP (the first one being a not too shabby recent victory over the scousers) he must have thought silly old sod it's fantastic this I turn up see a brilliant game of football plenty of goals and we never lose. You'll learn son, hopefully enjoying this wonderful team at the OS.

The game really was fantastic (if you were neutral) and setting aside the obvious concerns/moans about the referee, was a fitting last game for me. The cherry on the cake for me was Bonzo's half time speech ( I cried like a baby again) and the Billy Bonds song that was sung brought back memories of the time that was in full cry at all home games.

Anyway this old sod has never cried nor been so emotional at a game before (angry frustrated yes) but I'm proud to have said farewell to what has been a very important part of varying stages of my life so far.

Goodbye and God bless the Boleyn and all who have played in and worshipped in her :crest: XX
Oldun
Has liked: 172 likes
Total likes: 568 likes

Post by Oldun »

Continuing the theme of the officials,I really understand that they are human and can make mistakes,and with the coverage of the games now all mistakes get highlighted.
My moan is an obvious bias ,Lanzini immediately given offside,Bug eyes onside,contact between 2 players ,fouls given to them,we was never ever going to get a 50/50 decision.
If it had been an Arsenal player who had gone down like Lanzini in the box ,he would have given a penalty.
These are not mistakes they are a bias.
Romford
Big X

Post by Romford »

mumbles87 wrote:Managed to see Carrolls second goal before half term over my colleagues shoulder yesterday..what a volley.. on his day he is outstanding. Hope this hattrick inspires him to give us that final push in the last few games
A football post :scarfer:
JerseyHammer
Has liked: 167 likes
Total likes: 170 likes

Post by JerseyHammer »

I think what's wound me up most about this game is the way it's been reported, though this isn't surprising.

The emphasis on Lanzini's perfectly legit goal was minimal, "Bilic would have said that his team should have been 1-0 up this point" - well yes because it's true. If it'd been the other way around then it'd have been the headline no doubt, something like "Arsenal title hopes dashed by ref's shocker"
Also there were a few suggesting we held Arsenal when we were in fact leading the game for a while.

Anyway it's 4 points from them this season which I'd certainly have taken last July though it feels a lot like 2 more dropped.
Colours never run
Location: "Be in no doubt, we are part of the most successful stadium migration in history"
Has liked: 6762 likes
Total likes: 2354 likes

Post by Colours never run »

Oldun wrote:Continuing the theme of the officials,I really understand that they are human and can make mistakes,and with the coverage of the games now all mistakes get highlighted.
My moan is an obvious bias ,Lanzini immediately given offside,Bug eyes onside,contact between 2 players ,fouls given to them,we was never ever going to get a 50/50 decision.
If it had been an Arsenal player who had gone down like Lanzini in the box ,he would have given a penalty.
These are not mistakes they are a bias.

Exactly this.
LincolnshireHammer
Has liked: 8 likes
Total likes: 46 likes

Post by LincolnshireHammer »

Kermit wrote:Frankly I find all these "the refs have an agenda against us" embarrassing in the extreme. In fact someone has even suggested Sullivan should make an official complaint to the F A. Step back a minute and think about it. What would we all be saying if, for example, a certain club from N17 took that course of action?
It's not about referees having an agenda against WHU, it's about the level of bias referees give to the "bigger clubs" in the division. Wenger at Arsenal, Ferguson at Man Utd and Mourinho at Chelsea. Do I really have to give a list of examples? Does the Premier League really want Leicester and West Ham competing in the Champions League next season, or would they rather have Man Utd and Arsenal involved? Of course Scudamore is going to want the latter, to reach the wider audiences, which brings in the serious bunce. Is it any wonder why you see the extra minute added on here and there for Man Utd every so often?

When we've played the big clubs recently (Man Utd, Chelsea and Arsenal) right from the start it has felt like the referee has done everything in his power to make it virtually impossible for them to lose.

Not only this, but what also infuriates me is the lack of consistency. Arsenal did not receive one yellow card yesterday, not one! Crazy eh? I can remember a handful of Arsenal's fouls that were as bad as Antonio's yellow, yet nothing...If the referee decides to give the offender the same treatment as the West Ham player, then fair enough, but unfortunately this is not what we are seeing week in week out at the moment.
dave_l
Has liked: 79 likes
Total likes: 51 likes

Post by dave_l »

I still don't get how none of them were booked. Koscielny spent most of the game in a running battle with AC plus Gabriel should have seen yellow absolute minimum for his studs up attempt, also on AC.

FA = For Arsenal. Who else would be allowed to put a 60k seater stadium in an area that can't cope with it...
dave_l

Post by dave_l »

double post
Romford
Big X

Post by Romford »

And just when you thought that Arsenal fans couldn't get any more embarrassing...

http://sabotagetimes.com/football/embar ... ham-mascot" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Yea Why Not
Location: Chips & Gravy you say? Well you can shove that up your ass

Post by Yea Why Not »

Romford wrote:
You should be on the stage fella...

They were so scared of us they had 2 defensive midfielders starting.
Absolutely. For 40 minutes it worked perfectly. When a team like Arsenal go 2-0 up that should be game over but once again Wenger showed us he can't cut it any more
Clacton-ammer
Sultan of Swing
Has liked: 338 likes
Total likes: 357 likes

Post by Clacton-ammer »

What a cracking game, so proud of us presently.

Everyone played well, but a big shout for Cresswell, thought he was outstanding.

4th place appears to have been robbed from us in the last 3 games, but the FA cup is there to be won :scarfer:
wizzo_66
Has liked: 1 like
Total likes: 32 likes

Post by wizzo_66 »

Romford wrote:And just when you thought that Arsenal fans couldn't get any more embarrassing...

http://sabotagetimes.com/football/embar ... ham-mascot" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
That's Ty. The bloke with all the Arsenal replica gear. Absolute melt.

I particularly enjoy this video with him:-

https://youtu.be/NUrR9mthSZ0
beckton

Post by beckton »

Yea Why Not wrote: Absolutely. For 40 minutes it worked perfectly. When a team like Arsenal go 2-0 up that should be game over but once again Wenger showed us he can't cut it any more

Until they scored their offside goal we'd had the better chances and had a 'perfectly' good goal chalked off. It had only worked for the first 40 minutes due to poor officiating.
dave_l

Post by dave_l »

I'd forgotten about arsenal fan tv! Thanks for the reminder gents.

And yes Ty is a complete melt. Deluded doesn't begin to cover it.
Romford
Big X

Post by Romford »

Yea Why Not wrote:
Absolutely. For 40 minutes it worked perfectly. When a team like Arsenal go 2-0 up that should be game over but once again Wenger showed us he can't cut it any more
When a team like Arsenal get allowed to go 2-0 and their players are given carte blanche to dive and foul however they wish...and of course not need to worry about offside goals for and against...it is a miracle we ended up getting 3 goals allowed.

You have let that happen.

Wenger never could cut it...I have been calling that chump out for a decade.

I wont say i told you so BUT... :)