Leicester City 2-2 West Ham Utd (17/04/16)

Relive every moment of every first team game since the beginning of the 2005/06 season. Our archive of matchday threads originally posted in the General Discussion Forum.

Moderator: Gnome

PrinceH

Re: Leicester City v West Ham United: Match Thread

Post by PrinceH »

I was also tremendously gutted when Moss pointed at he spot in the 95th minute. I am also aware that the referees have destroyed our chance for a FA cup win and a fourth spot in the league. Still... I think Guardian really has a point here. (As Bilic had).
Moss was never ever the worst referee we've seen yesterday, and he was surely not helped by the players, who's cheating and wrestling are getting worse for every year. And, at the same time, we have the excellent TV that nowadays can cover every grass straw in slow motion, which make it easy for us in our armchairs to see which offence is correct and which is not. And at the same time the social media explode with ugliness as soon as the tiniest thing is going against you. Bilic has made it clear, we've got to help the referees with decisions using the same technology that now destroy's them.

They may be worse off this year, they do certainly help the "big" teams more than the less privileged ones. But still very few do it on purpose. I can understand all decisions last night, bar the last one.

http://www.theguardian.com/football/blo ... amie-vardy
Puff Daddy
Gone for a Burton
Has liked: 248 likes
Total likes: 1160 likes

Post by Puff Daddy »

Martin Samuel sums it all up perfectly in his excellent account account of the match in today's 'Daily Mail' (see Monday's news reports column) when he says even headlocks went unpunished
pharaoh
Has liked: 3 likes
Total likes: 1 like

Post by pharaoh »

I have to agree Moss is getting too much stick. Bad decision again cost us the points but that was a very tough game to handle. Again the BBC lean towards the fact that he went against Leicester in the Vardy sending off and the Pen to them. However the so called "pundits" don't mention the warning issued to Vardy prior to his first booking and and warnings to Huth and Morgan prior to our penalty.

Ian Wright shouldn't be talking about refs with the treatment he dished out to them in his career…didn't he smash up a refs room after the infamous Leeds home match? He, by his own admission is only interested in Arsenal and Palace anyway. Shearer, who I think has gotten better this year has made up his own rule that it is ok to foul at corners.

Surely the so called "assistant refs" should do more to help, often they seem motionless and content to let the refs take the rap. I agree with some technology…surely a 4th official looking at a screen can pretty quickly get a message via wireless to the ref? I know this won't be perfect and mistakes will still be made as even pundits argue over replays after many showings but at least the worst decisions can be screened.

This season the story is all about Leicester…good luck to them and hope they make it over the line, but please don't paint them as white knights. I wonder what people would say if we played that way?
Ozza
Has liked: 945 likes
Total likes: 2366 likes

Post by Ozza »

Good article from the guardian.

I also thought he did well yesterday, I actually thought we finally had a decent ref yesterday until he finally buckled under the pressure from the crowd

Those ex refs are hypercritical ****ers. The only one I like is Webb.
giantsteps

Post by giantsteps »

Puff Daddy wrote:Martin Samuel sums it all up perfectly in his excellent account account of the match in today's 'Daily Mail' (see Monday's news reports column) when he says even headlocks went unpunished
Mentioned about Ogbonna and his headlocks earlier on in the thread. He has to be careful because he's got a tendency to do this, and refs will be red hot on him now for it.

He needs to cut it out.
pharaoh

Post by pharaoh »

After our pen I was sure he wouldn't have missed Ogbonna's foul.

Good article from the Guardian, the cheek of Hackett saying the game was too big for him…doesn't he remember a semi final he screwed up? Poll "Mr 2 yellows" in a world cup match. Both should have stood up for him, reminds me of the way Rob Green was stabbed in the back for his howler against the USA by Postman Pat and Gerrard.

The real problem was the hysteria Leicester have whipped up has seen most neutrals want them to win irrespective of fairness. We did get away with stuff as well, so the tipping point was really the pen at the end which cost us. I know we shouldn't have been in that position but if Carroll had stayed off him and the player got in a cross that led to a goal Carroll would have been slagged off anyway. At the time he had to do what he thought was best, and this was to shepherd Shlupp away from goal, he didn't even go in with a challenge.

Anyway I hope we get a decent, non-controvesial win against Watford…just for a change eh?

Despite the disappointments this season if we can learn from it and strengthen the team we can be in position next year for a top 4 place.
Rocketron
Has liked: 6 likes
Total likes: 50 likes

Post by Rocketron »

[quote="pharaoh"]After our pen I was sure he wouldn't have missed Ogbonna's foul.

Good article from the Guardian, the cheek of Hackett saying the game was too big for him…doesn't he remember a semi final he screwed up? Poll "Mr 2 yellows" in a world cup match. Both should have stood up for him, reminds me of the way Rob Green was stabbed in the back for his howler against the USA by Postman Pat and Gerrard.

The real problem was the hysteria Leicester have whipped up has seen most neutrals want them to win irrespective of fairness. We did get away with stuff as well, so the tipping point was really the pen at the end which cost us. I know we shouldn't have been in that position but if Carroll had stayed off him and the player got in a cross that led to a goal Carroll would have been slagged off anyway. At the time he had to do what he thought was best, and this was to shepherd Shlupp away from goal, he didn't even go in with a challenge.

Anyway I hope we get a decent, non-controvesial win against Watford…just for a change eh?

Despite the disappointments this season if we can learn from it and strengthen the team we can be in position next year for a top 4 place.[/quote]
Ogbonna was merely trying to pull Huth off the headlock he had upon Kouyate. That's why Huth had Kouyate by the shirt front immediately after,the thick c-unit thought that Koukate had somehow gotten out of the headlock and fouled him.
pharaoh

Post by pharaoh »

Yes but after what happened still risky. However if every foul like that was given we would have had more penalties than the Everton cup game.
view from the shires
Has liked: 6 likes
Total likes: 32 likes

Post by view from the shires »

Leicester couldn't put 6 passes together all game. The 5th was always back to the keeper or a hoof into our box. Although their football was ugly it was effective.

Front where I was the Carroll challenge looked like a pen in real time, and only three replays showed otherwise, so I have some sympathy for the ref.

As for those chappy things, not only was our chairman on the receiving end, but 2 idiot home fans were ejected from near where I was for throwing them at the reporter sat in front of Lee Dixon. I was in touching distance of said ex- Arsenal player, but out of courtesy to Romford I refused to acknowledge his existence. :lol:

Cresswell scored a good goal, but when getting forward kept being inside of Payet and taking the position he seemed to want to move into. With them down to 10 I thought it would have made more sense for him to get wide and create space.

A better option at fullback for the next game please and Antonio further up the pitch.
pharaoh

Post by pharaoh »

Just seen this from lineker: (Talking about Vardy's possible ban for calling the ref a ****ing ****)

"Don't be ridiculous. Perhaps while they're at it they might rescind the first yellow card. twitter.com/fa/status/7220…"

Is the bloke that much of a knob?
Crossd_Hammrs
Has liked: 364 likes
Total likes: 209 likes

Post by Crossd_Hammrs »

pharaoh wrote:Just seen this from lineker: (Talking about Vardy's possible ban for calling the ref a ****ing ****)

"Don't be ridiculous. Perhaps while they're at it they might rescind the first yellow card. twitter.com/fa/status/7220…"

Clearly, he is. The BBC should rethink his employment.
frankiemac

Post by frankiemac »

facebook still full of leicester fans moaning about how the referee was against them and how the vardy sending off was a penalty

unbelievable how blinkered some people are

also not nice to hear about our owners getting abuse and our fans getting spat at after the game
LincolnshireHammer
Has liked: 8 likes
Total likes: 46 likes

Post by LincolnshireHammer »

pharaoh wrote:Just seen this from lineker: (Talking about Vardy's possible ban for calling the ref a ****ing ****)

Almost makes you want Leicester to f*** it up. Can't bare to see his smug grin if Leicester do go all the way.

Most bias broadcaster in the history of the game!
Colours never run
Location: "Be in no doubt, we are part of the most successful stadium migration in history"
Has liked: 6811 likes
Total likes: 2363 likes

Post by Colours never run »

Regardless of his performance on the weekend, I've always found Jonathan Moss to be absolutely ****ing useless. I always shudder whenever I see his face appear when Reffing. He didn't disappoint with yet another pathetic, baffling, totally inconsistent performance vs the 'fantastic' foxes. He completely lost control of the game and allowed endless nonsense to carry on.
Kendal Iron
Has liked: 47 likes

Post by Kendal Iron »

Colours never run wrote:Regardless of his performance on the weekend, I've always found Jonathan Moss to be absolutely ****ing useless. I always shudder whenever I see his face appear when Reffing. He didn't disappoint with yet another pathetic, baffling, totally inconsistent performance vs the 'fantastic' foxes. He completely lost control of the game and allowed endless nonsense to carry on.
Still think most of the major decisions he made were correct - Vardy's bookings, our pen, etc.

He did miss a few, mind you!

Only one that was wrong was their pen
OFT
Has liked: 2995 likes
Total likes: 1758 likes

Post by OFT »

frankiemac wrote:facebook still full of leicester fans moaning about how the referee was against them and how the vardy sending off was a penalty

unbelievable how blinkered some people are

also not nice to hear about our owners getting abuse and our fans getting spat at after the game
Sadly the whole fairytale thing has got the better of that club. It's players and fans have turned into the same monster with behaviour that certain of the 'chosen few giants' exhibit,
The very things that led to much of the media and neutral support of this 'plucky' outfit seem long gone.
I accept the alternative to their title success is an unpalatable one to most on here but they really have decided that the title is theirs by some kind of right, public decree, good for the game(of that at one point there was no doubt at all), but if an underdog has to win the title by what one of yesterdays papers called, ' the constant use of the dark arts and every trick in the book' then is it really such a fairytale?
As difficult as I find it to come to terms with, even should the 'alternative' overcome the points difference and 'win', it's still a bit of a shock, a change from the norm, an example that it's still possible after all for the stranglehold to be broken .
Colours never run
Location: "Be in no doubt, we are part of the most successful stadium migration in history"

Kendal Iron wrote:
Still think most of the major decisions he made were correct - Vardy's bookings, our pen, etc.

He did miss a few, mind you!

Only one that was wrong was their pen
And how about the other clear penalties that should have been awarded on both sides way before Carrolls extremely soft penalty was picked out as a stonewaller... It didn't stop there though, the first yellow on Vardy was never a yellow, just a free kick. That then made his own life difficult by having to send him off for a second yellow for a clear dive (one of the rare decisions he did get right).

He genuinely lacks control, respect of the players and often shows ill judgement. His performance was definitely unsurprising to me.
Kendal Iron
Has liked: 47 likes

Post by Kendal Iron »

Colours never run wrote:
And how about the other clear penalties that should have been awarded on both sides way before Carrolls extremely soft penalty was picked out as a stonewaller... It didn't stop there though, the first yellow on Vardy was never a yellow, just a free kick. That then made his own life difficult by having to send him off for a second yellow for a clear dive (one of the rare decisions he did get right).

He genuinely lacks control, respect of the players and often shows ill judgement. His performance was definitely unsurprising to me.
The first yellow for Vardy was for persistent fouling, I think. It was about his third foul
OFT
Has liked: 2995 likes
Total likes: 1758 likes

Post by OFT »

Kendal Iron wrote: The first yellow for Vardy was for persistent fouling, I think. It was about his third foul
Yeah, that's how I saw it, a fact that a lot of the media conveniently overlook.
Colours never run

Persistent fouls from Vardy? He's a diving little gobby cheat but I don't remember him fouling much within the first half hour (I do remember Ogbonnas mindless headlock throw against him - 1of 3 he made). It was early in the first half he received that first one and I don't remember him illustrating the point like so many good Refs do by pointing his finger to a few other occasions he let him off with. I stand to be corrected if he did but I don't remember seeing him do it which leads me to think he booked him purely on that incident.