Leicester City 2-2 West Ham Utd (17/04/16)

Relive every moment of every first team game since the beginning of the 2005/06 season. Our archive of matchday threads originally posted in the General Discussion Forum.

Moderator: Gnome

Ricardo

Leicester City 2-2 West Ham Utd (17/04/16)

Post by Ricardo »

CHAAAAARGE!!!!!!!!

Sunday 17 April 2016 | King Power Stadium | Kick-off 13:30

Back on track here with a magnificent display of counter attacking football from West Ham.

:scarfer:
belgohammer

Re: Leicester City v West Ham United: Match Thread

Post by belgohammer »

Charge indeed, give them a proper game, may the best win.
But no more bull**** of giving them 3 points for free.
ByzantineByron

Post by ByzantineByron »

I'm in two minds here.

Obviously I'm aware that while we've got little left to play for, we still need to secure 5th/6th and Europa League next season. On the other hand, I really don't want us to give the c**** up North London any chance of getting back into the race.

The way we play is going to suit them as well, with players moving forward in numbers and at speed, it'll let the likes of Vardy, Mahrez and even Schlupp/Amartey past our full-backs.

Think I'd want a draw from this. Lets take the point but more importantly, lets stop the Spuds getting back into it.
Stepney

Post by Stepney »

We'll win this game. Guaranteed. We'll put in the performance that we should have last night and tear them a new one. As others have pointed out, this is the West Ham way!...
YorksHammer
Has liked: 381 likes
Total likes: 1408 likes

Post by YorksHammer »

Sorry, but anybody who wants to lose or draw here to stop Spurs getting back into the title race is silly.

United play Villa at home on Saturday so will be four points ahead of us by the time this is played. We HAVE to win to keep our thinning Europa League hopes up. That way we can keep it in our own hands and overcome United at home with a game to go to take fifth off them.

Deep defensive line to stop the balls over the top - keep Vardy, Mahrez et al in front of the back four at all times. No charge, nothing silly - stop them playing their game. Tight, deep defensive line - Tomkins, Collins, Ogbonna, Cresswell.
colchesterhammer

Post by colchesterhammer »

ByzantineByron wrote:I'm in two minds here.

Obviously I'm aware that while we've got little left to play for, we still need to secure 5th/6th and Europa League next season. On the other hand, I really don't want us to give the c**** up North London any chance of getting back into the race.

The way we play is going to suit them as well, with players moving forward in numbers and at speed, it'll let the likes of Vardy, Mahrez and even Schlupp/Amartey past our full-backs.

Think I'd want a draw from this. Lets take the point but more importantly, lets stop the Spuds getting back into it.
I don't understand this view point. As a West Ham fan I want us to win to finish as high as possible. If by winning we help out a rival then so be it.
sutts07
Has liked: 24 likes
Total likes: 542 likes

Post by sutts07 »

ByzantineByron wrote:I'm in two minds here.
Sorry to say it... but I think that is pathetic. I understand your reasoning and I hate Spurs (not Spuds as that is childish) as much as anyone, but not wanting West Ham to win a game when we are pushing for 5th and have an outside chance of 4th... that is pathetic in my opinion.

Each to their own though.
smuts
Has liked: 1532 likes
Total likes: 1489 likes

Post by smuts »

I don't want Spurs to win the league but I want us to smash Leicester on Sunday.

Hopefully we have a few more options at the back allowing Antonio to be moved up the pitch. I'd rest Kouayate for Obiang as well.

No Sakho still either apparently.
Hammersfaniow
Has liked: 7 likes
Total likes: 33 likes

Post by Hammersfaniow »

1-4 to us. Don't care who wins the league, want us to finish with as many points as possible and above ManUre. If that means we have to beat them at the last game then so be it, we're capable

Hope Antonio starts further forward too :crest:
Last edited by Hammersfaniow on Thu Apr 14, 2016 1:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
HitzlspergersBurgers
Has liked: 3 likes
Total likes: 4 likes

Post by HitzlspergersBurgers »

The league title is irrelevant. We have Leicester next. The focus for us is West Ham United getting 3 points from Leicester and climbing the table. End of.

Adrian

Tomkins - Collins - Ogbonna - Cresswell

Noble - Kouyate

Lanzini

Antonio - Carroll - Payet
HammerMan2004
Has liked: 507 likes
Total likes: 1301 likes

Post by HammerMan2004 »

Heading contests between Carroll and Huth at one end, and balls over the top for Vardy to sprint after at the other.

Gonna be a classic ladies and gents.
bubbles1966
Location: I'm holding onto nothing, and trying to forget the rest
Has liked: 2481 likes
Total likes: 4377 likes

Post by bubbles1966 »

I feel that we must take something from this game, and I hope that Slaven treats it the same way as Spurs (h) and the Arsenal, Man C, Man U, Liverpool (a) games.

Make sure we don't concede firstly.

I wonder if he'll try 3-5-2 or 5-4-1?

I think the unit needs some freshening up, and we know their game.

a) Long ball over the top for Vardy
b) Hope Mahrez scores one out of nowt.

We must match their intensity and energy.

I'd seriously consider dropping one, maybe even two, of Noble, Payet and Lanzini.

We also have Watford next Wednesday - four days before they play an FA Cup Semi. That should be a banker.
Aceface
Has liked: 373 likes
Total likes: 1470 likes

Post by Aceface »

Unless Bilic changes something we could get absolutely smashed here. The way we've played in the last month couldn't be more suited to Leicester's modus operandi
Vienna
Has liked: 157 likes
Total likes: 291 likes

Post by Vienna »

Adrian
Antonio Collins Ogbonna Cresswell
Noble Obiang
Moses Lanzini Payet
Carroll
sutts07

Post by sutts07 »

Hope to have Byram back for this one... any news?

If not, I would go with Tomkins at RB and bring Collins back in. Or Reid depending on the fitness of the pair of them.

I would drop Valencia from the entire squad, but otherwise keep it pretty much the same. Sadly it seems Sakho might not be available, which means we have to start Carroll. I don't like that at all. Would much rather have a smaller and more nimble striker starting (or even Antonio) and then throw Carroll on as a late option for the opposition to think about.

A few of the lads looked very leggy last night so Slav might need to freshen it up with Obiang in the middle.

--------------------- Adrian --------------------
Tomkins Collins Ogbonna Cresswell
-------- Obiang Noble Kouyate ----------
Payet -------------------------------- Lanzini
-------------------- Carroll ----------------------

Randolph Reid Antonio Moses Oxford Emenike Hendrie
loftyboy
Has liked: 8 likes
Total likes: 14 likes

Post by loftyboy »

I've backed us to win @3/1
Coops
Has liked: 450 likes
Total likes: 588 likes

Post by Coops »

HitzlspergersBurgers wrote:The league title is irrelevant. We have Leicester next. The focus for us is West Ham United getting 3 points from Leicester and climbing the table. End of.

Adrian

Tomkins - Collins - Ogbonna - Cresswell

Noble - Kouyate

Lanzini

Antonio - Carroll - Payet
That team is capable of beating anyone in the league.
sutts07

Post by sutts07 »

bubbles1966 wrote: I wonder if he'll try 3-5-2 or 5-4-1?
I really hope not... if he does, he has not learnt anything from the first half of Arsenal at home or Everton away.

We are a shambles with three at the back. Clueless and all over the place.
Mega Ron
Has liked: 168 likes
Total likes: 171 likes

Post by Mega Ron »

I hope that Sakho overcomes his 'injury' for this one.
Kludgehammer
Has liked: 180 likes
Total likes: 203 likes

Post by Kludgehammer »

We need a solid defence, and we need to freshen up our midfield. Ideally, I'd also like to throw some pace at their big CBs, but I don't think we have that option.

Depending on who's available, I'd go
-------------------------------------------------- Adrian --------------------------------------------------
O'Brien/Byram/Tomkins --- Tomkins/Collins --- Ogbonna ------- Creswell
------------------------------------- Noble--------------------- Obiang -------------------------------
------- Antonio----------------------------- Kouyate ------------------------- Payet -------------
------------------------------------------------- Carroll --------------------------------------------------

Subs: Randolph, whichever RB doesn't play, whichever CB doesn't play, Song, Lanzini, Eminiki, Moses or whoever is our best U21 striker prospect

I'd rather have Sakho in there than Carroll, but I don't think there's that option. I'd consider putting Kouyate or Noble on the bench and playing Song. I'd even consider giving Payet a rest and playing Moses or Lanzini instead, with him on the bench to come on for the last 30 minutes. We have to do something to shake up the team and show there's some competition. Might consider Eminiki wide on one side and Antonio on the other to give the FBs some cover.