West Ham Utd 3-1 Watford (20/04/16)

Relive every moment of every first team game since the beginning of the 2005/06 season. Our archive of matchday threads originally posted in the General Discussion Forum.

Moderator: Gnome

giantsteps

Re: West Ham United v Watford FC: Match Thread

Post by giantsteps »

Feel sorry for the Watford fans really. Quite a few turned up even though they've got a big game at the weekend and tbf, the team they had out was pretty poor.

Was like a training ground exercise for our players. We should of had more.
Georgee Paris
Location: The Amazing Adventures of Wicked Willy & Fearless Steve
Has liked: 496 likes
Total likes: 1038 likes

Post by Georgee Paris »

We've got Pele...Ginger Pele...I just don't think you understand...
Heysel76
Has liked: 213 likes
Total likes: 105 likes

Post by Heysel76 »

Yea Why Not wrote:How did the Ginge song go? The one with the same tune as Payet's
Yes, "We've got Pele, Ginger Pele..."
The Gibbins
Maggot infested twat
Total likes: 10 likes

Post by The Gibbins »

I sort of felt sorry for the Watford fans as it was a team put out that was likely to lose from the off. But at the same time i imagine their fans understand they have a cup Semi final, they seemed in good spirits despite the result.

It was a decent performance by us as well, but it felt very end of season last night. One team with more desire than the other, it was a bit flat.
bubbles1966
Location: I'm holding onto nothing, and trying to forget the rest
Has liked: 2436 likes
Total likes: 4292 likes

Post by bubbles1966 »

"Que Sera Sera, whatever will be, will be, you'll never fill Wember-lee, que sera sera".
comebackjoecole

Post by comebackjoecole »

It was exactly the type of game I would have used to expect us to lose, big favourites, weakened team,
etc we would have previously have just expected to turn up and win, and then go and lose. But Bilic
seems to have cured that classic West Ham trait, so I'm delighted that
we won,

I agree that with some that we weren't that great, most players hang on to the ball for far
too long and end up losing.

Kouyate was very impressive I thought, he's becoming my favourite player.
ponder

Post by ponder »

fmgod wrote:To be fair to the crowd it was a bit of a dead game(as top four seems unlikely) Watford had a b team out and we had won the game really
It was quite a flat atmosphere. I usually sit in the BM / STB and was in the Rio lower last night, so put it down to that, but it did feel a lot quieter than usual. I think the last 3 games maybe took the wind out of our sails a bit and reality has set in.
jaybs
Has liked: 21 likes
Total likes: 8 likes

Post by jaybs »

Good three points, great to have Sakho back, he showed the difference he can make, Carroll took is goal well and nice to see him not have to rely on his head. Captain Noble took the penalties well, a little flat as other have said, and at times we allowed them too much ball, on to the next match!
Marky
Has liked: 52 likes
Total likes: 174 likes

Post by Marky »

What were the Watford fans singing to tune of La Bamba ? Couldn't hear it from my seat
trick88

Post by trick88 »

Some of the passing plays, mainly in the second half were sublime. Think the Watford defending helped a bit but overall they couldn't handle us for most of the game. The only slight disappointment is we didn't score 5 or 6 against this team!
hadleighhammer
Gentrified
Location: On my computer trying to keep up with the Sky fixture changes
Has liked: 11 likes
Total likes: 8 likes

Post by hadleighhammer »

Yea Why Not wrote:How did the Ginge song go? The one with the same tune as Payet's
"We've got Pele, Ginger Pele. I just don't think you understand. He hasn't got any hair, but we don't really care. We've got Ginger Pele"

First started at Norwich Away by me and some other drunk bloke and brought back to the Chav Corner. Seems to have started to get noticed now though. 8-)
EastleighHammer16
Has liked: 230 likes
Total likes: 1647 likes

Post by EastleighHammer16 »

jaybs wrote:Good three points, great to have Sakho back, he showed the difference he can make, Carroll took is goal well and nice to see him not have to rely on his head. Captain Noble took the penalties well, a little flat as other have said, and at times we allowed them too much ball, on to the next match!
That was almost a compliment for Carroll! :shock:
RichieRiv
Has liked: 307 likes
Total likes: 803 likes

Post by RichieRiv »

It wasn't showcase football, but I've seen a lot worse. It's been a long old season so it's going to get a bit scrappy.
ironstu

Post by ironstu »

ponder wrote:
It was quite a flat atmosphere. I usually sit in the BM / STB and was in the Rio lower last night, so put it down to that, but it did feel a lot quieter than usual. I think the last 3 games maybe took the wind out of our sails a bit and reality has set in.
I don't think it was helped by the fact that we were playing Watford. I just don't get them as a club and can't get up for any game against them. Not to mention that they brought the quietest away fans I've seen at Upton Park in 16 years. 25 Wigan fans made more noise than that lot last night!
ironstu

Post by ironstu »

simonirons wrote:Just before Ginge got a few rounds of "we've got pele" he sat beside a steward to sort his laces, some kid ended up husseling his fleece off him

On a separate note, I got a bit giddy infront of that bucket of apple sauce outside the hog roast stall, on the train now and noticed my jackets smothered in the stuff.
I was in the row behind that kid when he came running back with it. Apparently Ginge had promised him a shirt weeks ago, he must have politely reminded him :lol:

Superb when Ginge had a little dance to our rendition of "We've got Pele". Also, that Ikechi Anya took the "who's the w***er in the hat" chat pretty well, was good to get a laugh out of him!
aaronhammer
Has liked: 168 likes
Total likes: 38 likes

Post by aaronhammer »

Marky wrote:What were the Watford fans singing to tune of La Bamba ? Couldn't hear it from my seat
Valon Behrami
Valon Behrami Valon Behrami
Valon Behrami
Plays for Watford in Quique's Army

I heard Bournemouth earlier in the year singing it with Juan Iturbe
" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Aceface
Has liked: 358 likes
Total likes: 1446 likes

Post by Aceface »

trick88 wrote:Some of the passing plays, mainly in the second half were sublime.!
I know this goes against the conventional wisdom, but if someone asked me if we were a good passing team, I'm not entirely sure I could tell them. I'm not entirely convinced we're as good as we think we are.

Hard to ascertain coming from the period of Sam's tripe though.
brownout
Has liked: 92 likes
Total likes: 174 likes

Post by brownout »

Strange that KUMB's report thinks we only have a faint hope of Europe. I think we have a very good chance.

West Ham Utd 3-1 Watford

Filed: Wednesday, 20th April 2016
By: Staff Writer

West Ham's faint hopes of securing a European spot remain alive tonight after a 3-1 win against a distinctly lacklustre Watford at the Boleyn Ground.

Read more at http://www.kumb.com/story.php?id=129720 ... Y66TS3X.99" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Aceface
Has liked: 358 likes
Total likes: 1446 likes

Post by Aceface »

Presume they mean proper Europe. Not consolation Europe.
Slacking student
Has liked: 6 likes
Total likes: 5 likes

Post by Slacking student »

Marky wrote:What were the Watford fans singing to tune of La Bamba ? Couldn't hear it from my seat
Not Watford as such but a version from Middlesbrough of La Bamba

" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;