West Ham Utd 3-1 Watford (20/04/16)

Relive every moment of every first team game since the beginning of the 2005/06 season. Our archive of matchday threads originally posted in the General Discussion Forum.

Moderator: Gnome

Chrissieboy
Rates Garth Crooks
Has liked: 156 likes
Total likes: 71 likes

Re: West Ham United v Watford FC: Match Thread

Post by Chrissieboy »

Shocked by Lanzini's finishing and gutted Antonio still at rightback but Payet looked better in open play again (bar his shooting) and thought Carroll, Noble and Kouyate played well.
Coops
Has liked: 449 likes
Total likes: 590 likes

Post by Coops »

I didn't expect Sakho to play the full 90 and thought it would by Bryam to take his place to give him a run out so that Antonio could be moved further forward.
It seems that Slav hasn't got much faith in Bryam and will persist with Antonio at RB for the rest of the season.
Clacton-ammer
Sultan of Swing
Has liked: 338 likes
Total likes: 357 likes

Post by Clacton-ammer »

Funny game, lovely win though :crest:
Crossd_Hammrs
Has liked: 370 likes
Total likes: 221 likes

Post by Crossd_Hammrs »

brownout wrote:Strange that KUMB's report thinks we only have a faint hope of Europe. I think we have a very good chance.

Perhaps it's a faint hope because as things stand qualification is out of our hands.
We need other clubs' results to go our way.
Thanks to Chadwell and Prob for clarifying this:
Chadwell Hammer wrote:We want Man Utd to win the cup so 7th in the league qualifies for Europa League, City winning the League Cup has already guaranteed 6th gets in.
Prob wrote:We need Man U to win the FA cup because as it stands 6th place go into the play off. If Man U win the FA cup that place goes to the league meaning 6th go into groups and 7th into the play off.
At the moment the top 6 qualify for Europe.
Liverpool will go above us into 6th if they win their game in hand on Saturday.
We have a chance to overtake Man Utd if we win all our remaining games which includes beating them - although even that depends on them not improving their goal difference in relation to ours.

Finishing 7th is in ours to lose, but we need Man Utd to win the Cup to open that up.

Fingers-crossed! :crest:
Coops

Post by Coops »

Or if Liverpool win the Uefa Cup, that would also leave it open to 7th (assuming they finish above us).
Chadwell Hammer

Post by Chadwell Hammer »

Crossd_Hammrs wrote: Perhaps it's a faint hope because as things stand qualification is out of our hands.
Thanks to Chadwell and Prob for clarifying this:
I don't think that's right, if we win all of our games we would finish above Man Utd on goal difference
White Goodman
Making excuses in A&E
Has liked: 254 likes
Total likes: 276 likes

Post by White Goodman »

Chadwell Hammer wrote:
I don't think that's right, if we win all of our games we would finish above Man Utd on goal difference
How do you know that? What if they lose to us 1-0 and then put 5 or 6 past all of the other teams they still have left to play?
Chadwell Hammer

Post by Chadwell Hammer »

White Goodman wrote:How do you know that? What if they lose to us 1-0 and then put 5 or 6 past all of the other teams they still have left to play?
Then it's still in our hands! I'd say we are as likely to do that as they are
Crossd_Hammrs

Post by Crossd_Hammrs »

Crossd_Hammrs wrote: as things stand qualification is out of our hands.
Chadwell Hammer wrote:I don't think that's right, if we win all of our games we would finish above Man Utd on goal difference
Only if they don't improve their goal difference.

We currently have a better goal difference by +2 and beating them would make it at least +3.
So we have to hope they don't make up four goals on us in their other three games (I think - it's early morning here so I could have that figure wrong). (if we win our games by a one goal margin, and they win theirs by two goals they will have a better gd).
So we could still be dependent on their results.

I think Coops has suggested another possibility of 7th being opened up, but it depends upon Liverpool winning the Europa League AND finishing above us.
aaronhammer
Has liked: 175 likes
Total likes: 41 likes

Post by aaronhammer »

Coops wrote:Or if Liverpool win the Uefa Cup, that would also leave it open to 7th (assuming they finish above us).
Not quite.

If we finish 6th or higher we will be in Europe regardless of Man Utd in the FA Cup, Liverpool in the Europa League, or Man City in the Champions League. There could be an impact on 4th place should Liverpool and Man City both win their respective European cups as it would then become a Europa League place.

If we finish 7th, we need Man Utd to win the FA Cup. If Liverpool or Man City finish in a Europa League place and win in Europe, that place is converted to the Champions League. There will only be an additional Champions League place if the team doesn't finish in a European place.
LincolnshireHammer
Has liked: 8 likes
Total likes: 46 likes

Post by LincolnshireHammer »

It's completely in our hands.

Win all our games and we will finish in the top 6. Just need to pray that Man Utd's goal difference doesn't overtake ours and all will be cushty.
EastleighHammer16
Has liked: 234 likes
Total likes: 1674 likes

Post by EastleighHammer16 »

Think i'm right in saying we need to finish 5th to go straight into the group stage or 6th if Man United win the cup and finish 5th. (I think that last part is correct) That's what we need to be aiming for, no play off round or qualification please!
Wembley1966
Has liked: 5 likes
Total likes: 129 likes

Post by Wembley1966 »

Coops wrote:Or if Liverpool win the Uefa Cup, that would also leave it open to 7th (assuming they finish above us).
No it wouldn't. If Liverpool win Europa and they also qualify for Europa, then their Europa qualification gets converted to a Champions league place - there is no extra place created.
http://www.uefa.org/about-uefa/executiv ... 26990.html
If that club has already qualified for the UEFA Europa League via their domestic league, it results in five clubs participating in the UEFA Champions League, and two – not three – participating in the UEFA Europa League."
There's 5+ pages of discussion on the combinations:
http://www.kumb.com/forum/viewtopic.php ... 0#p4630317
EastleighHammer16 wrote:Think i'm right in saying we need to finish 5th to go straight into the group stage or 6th if Man United win the cup and finish 5th. (I think that last part is correct) That's what we need to be aiming for, no play off round or qualification please!
Correct - the League Cup spot enters at 3rd Qualifying Round - then play off, then Group stage. 5th place and FA Cup enter straight at Group stage.
EastleighHammer16
Has liked: 234 likes
Total likes: 1674 likes

Post by EastleighHammer16 »

So if we finish 6th and Man United don't win the cup but finish 5th, do we get the league cup winners spot? Meaning we enter in the 3rd round?
Crossd_Hammrs

Post by Crossd_Hammrs »

LincolnshireHammer wrote:It's completely in our hands.

Win all our games and we will finish in the top 6. Just need to pray that Man Utd's goal difference doesn't overtake ours and all will be cushty.
Which means it isn't in our hands. We could win all our games and still finish seventh - regardles of how many goals we score.

For sixth we need other results in our favour - even if that means a club limits how much it loses by to Man Utd.
If win the next four games then it's likely we will finish top 6, but not guaranteed.
Crossd_Hammrs

Post by Crossd_Hammrs »

aaronhammer wrote:There could be an impact on 4th place should Liverpool and Man City both win their respective European cups as it would then become a Europa League place.
I think that involves both clubs failing to finish in the top four.
As UEFA champions they would both be awarded Champions League qualification, but as there is a max of five clubs per nation only the top three league places would qualify - I think 3rd place would be the third qualifying round.
bobd_uk
Has liked: 2 likes
Total likes: 75 likes

Post by bobd_uk »

I don't think the thing about Liverpool is true.

If they win the Europa League then they get a CL spot. Assuming they don't finish top 4 (which they won't) then we have 5 CL teams. But, going by what happened to Spain last year when this exact thing happened, we would give up a Europa League spot, taking us from 3 to 2.

Those 2 would go to the 5th place and the FA cup winners. If anyone bar Man U wins the cup then 6th won't get into Europe.

In summary, we want Man U to win the cup and Liverpool to lose in Europe. That way you'd get into the EL from 5th-7th.
Up the Junction
Thinks he owns the place
Has liked: 755 likes
Total likes: 3486 likes

Post by Up the Junction »

Post-match press conference: Slaven Bilic vs Watford
http://kumb.com/story.php?id=129721

Post-match press conference: Quique Sanchez Flores vs West Ham Utd
http://www.kumb.com/story.php?id=129724

The opposition view: Watford
http://www.kumb.com/story.php?id=129725
mushy
Has liked: 651 likes
Total likes: 871 likes

Post by mushy »

' I was there for the rugby last year and it is not a football stadium in my opinion. I had front row seats behind the posts in the upper tier and was miles from the ground'

Now they tell us.
Coops

Post by Coops »

Now I am even more confused than when we started talking about it.